Is bar service still limited to the pool bar while tendering in Grand Cayman?

Georgia_Peaches

I remember reading a while back that several Celebrity ships were limiting bar service while in Grand Cayman, though there were reports of inconsistencies among the ships.  Anyone with recent bar service experience while in GC?  We don't usually get off the ship in GC so I want to prepare accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I remember reading a while back that several Celebrity ships were limiting bar service while in Grand Cayman, though there were reports of inconsistencies among the ships.  Anyone with recent bar service experience while in GC?  We don't usually get off the ship in GC so I want to prepare accordingly.

From what I understand it still is, this is not just celebrity but I have heard same with Disney.  Its a new law that went into affect in the Caymans,   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

When we stopped in GC on Equinox (end of January), all bars on the ship except the Pool Bar were closed in port.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Its a new law that went into affect in the Caymans,   

I'm not so sure about the "new law"...trying to find record of the law.  It feels more like cruise lines not wanting to pay the fees that GC charges the ships to keep the bars open while tendering.  Not trying to be argumentative.  You may be completely right...I just can't find the new law.  And this news is disappointing.

Edit:  My apologies for doubting your intel.  Just read the new "law" which is really about taxes.  GC is charging taxes on all alcohol sold on the ship while in GC.  For this reason alone, I won't step foot on the island.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 6

On the Beyond in March it wasn’t a problem.  They had it set up to have a line at the pool bar and no one sitting at the bar.    There were plenty of BTs serving.  There were also  a lot of servers in various areas that would get the drinks for you from the pool bar from the back station.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 

• Thanks 1

When on Apex all bars except pool bar were closed.   Even Al Bacio Segundo was closed.

They got around it by setting up an auxiliary bar  on the pool deck next to Ocean View.   Lots of servers available and servers in OVC were taking orders for mixed drinks and delivering tale side to those dining.      Also around the pool they had lots of pool butlers taking orders.   There was absolutely no lines.

IMG_2422.thumb.jpeg.350148ac8a57a32ba71830314861de2f.jpeg

IMG_2437.thumb.jpeg.3a8963257f458b3ffdaf11821530b1a3.jpeg

IMG_2440.thumb.jpeg.8f13dd29df63a7f9e6f9d94264e00bc2.jpeg

IMG_2438.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Edit:  My apologies for doubting your intel.  Just read the new "law" which is really about taxes.  GC is charging taxes on all alcohol sold on the ship while in GC.  For this reason alone, I won't step foot on the island.

Did you finally find it? When this first came out, I spent hours (curiosity, not necessity!) trying to find a reference with no luck.

Honestly, this is no different than every homeport in the US. It's actually more amazing that other ports in the Caribbean don't charge taxes than that GC does. I don't understand why the single open bar is a work around, but again I could never find the law.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, markeb said:

Honestly, this is no different than every homeport in the US. It's actually more amazing that other ports in the Caribbean don't charge taxes than that GC does. I don't understand why the single open bar is a work around, but again I could never find the law.

No, I never found the actual law.  Rather, I found several blog posts and even a news article that described the law in detail.  I agree with you regarding the taxes.  When I embark out of a port in Florida, I am taxed for the drinks I consume while in port.  I wonder why this tax is passed on the the passengers in Florida while the tax is GC is not.  At any rate, I see it as a way to force people off the ship so that they can spend money on the island.  I get that they are largely reliant on tourism but people have reasons for remaining on the ship and should not be "punished" for lack of a better word if they choose to stay aboard.  

I am encouraged by some of the responses to my question as it seems that Celebrity have implemented a work around that is efficient for those who elect to remain on board.

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I wonder why this tax is passed on the the passengers in Florida while the tax is GC is not.

Pretty sure Florida charges a sales tax at the consumer level, so if there's no sale, there's no transaction to tax. Hence the advise to not buy a package or upgrade while in port. Texas taxes the liquor served, so departures from Galveston have to use alcohol with Texas tax stamps while in port, as well as collect sales tax (I believe the latter is true). It almost sounds like Cayman is doing something similar to Texas. It's likely they're requiring a before and after inventory and then tax booze consumed (not just sold). So one bar would theoretically be easier to inventory. But that's a truly wild a** WAG...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I'm not so sure about the "new law"...trying to find record of the law.  It feels more like cruise lines not wanting to pay the fees that GC charges the ships to keep the bars open while tendering.  Not trying to be argumentative.  You may be completely right...I just can't find the new law.  And this news is disappointing.

No worries.  You’re correct it might not be a law but something similar to a tax that is put onto the cruise ships when serving alcohol in port.  Same thing looked at blogs and some other info.  Never per se could find the written thing from grand cayman but other lines are in the same boat with this.  Does make sense that it is way to nudge more people to go ashore and drink etc there.  I been to grand cayman enough and like you would be looking to spend day aboard.  Tho I would be annoyed with cafe Al bacio being closed but I am pretty sure will be okay with the set up celebrity seems to be doing.  

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

No, I never found the actual law.  Rather, I found several blog posts and even a news article that described the law in detail.  I agree with you regarding the taxes.  When I embark out of a port in Florida, I am taxed for the drinks I consume while in port.  I wonder why this tax is passed on the the passengers in Florida while the tax is GC is not.  At any rate, I see it as a way to force people off the ship so that they can spend money on the island.  I get that they are largely reliant on tourism but people have reasons for remaining on the ship and should not be "punished" for lack of a better word if they choose to stay aboard.  

I am encouraged by some of the responses to my question as it seems that Celebrity have implemented a work around that is efficient for those who elect to remain on board.

They wouldn't have to force people off ship to spend money if there was actually something to spend money on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Ok, so the pool bar is open and bar tenders will get you a drink. What about a glass of wine or 2 at lunch at Sushi on 5 for instance? Will the waiters head up to the pool bar for wine? 

I doubt it but the waiters may accommodate.    From what I remember you could not get a drink in Retreat.    They didn't even have bar tenders on duty.

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I doubt it but the waiters may accommodate.    From what I remember you could not get a drink in Retreat.    They didn't even have bar tenders on duty.

We were on the Reflection in March and stopped at GC, we went ashore to have lunch due to the new rules, Michaels bar was closed. However we boarded the Edge and when we visited again discovered that the retreat sun deck bar was open. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Retreat Lounge on Reflection was closed in Grand Cayman.  If you wanted beer it was available in the coolers but no wine.

I'm glad our next 2 cruises don't stop in GC and wish they would change that port on our sailing in December 2024.  We are on Beyond so maybe the retreat sun deck will be open.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Retreat Lounge on Reflection was closed in Grand Cayman.  If you wanted beer it was available in the coolers but no wine.

I'm glad our next 2 cruises don't stop in GC and wish they would change that port on our sailing in December 2024.  We are on Beyond so maybe the retreat sun deck will be open.

This was our experience too.

53 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I’d love to know what % of people actually remain on the ship/get off in GC. 

Don't know the percentage but I can say there were a lot on my Beyond sailing in Feb. The slow tendering process didn't help, many people gave up. We heard the last call at 12:20pm for a 7-4 port stop. We were glad we chose to stay on before we set sail. The beverages were plentiful, Cel now has this figured out and is meeting the needs IMO.

Patty 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We’re an extended fam of 14 on Beyond stopping in GC in November.  We sure get weird looks from first time cruisers when we try to explain this farce.  We have no plans to get off so the beer drinkers will stock up the day before.  We’ll take turns lining up if we need to.  

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I’d love to know what % of people actually remain on the ship/get off in GC. 

Unfortunately, for our cruise in January the winds were high and we anchored on the otherside of the island.  So the tender went to "nowhere" - a few vendors in a parking lot.  You would have had to take a cab to get the Georgetown.  Also, any excursions on the water, snorkeling, the stingrays etc were cancelled.  There was probably over 50% still on the ship and I think it was one of the first cruises when this went into effect.  Personally, we will try to avoid this port in the future.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Personally, we will try to avoid this port in the future.  

No doubt, we try to do the same.  Our upcoming Equinox cruise is a Blue Chip comp and so we didn't pick the itinerary as much as it picked us! Grateful for the comp though, so we will suffer through 😊.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

We’re an extended fam of 14 on Beyond stopping in GC in November.  We sure get weird looks from first time cruisers when we try to explain this farce.  We have no plans to get off so the beer drinkers will stock up the day before.  We’ll take turns lining up if we need to.  

From all reports in this thread, stocking up the day before doesn't seem to be a need as it was described when this changed first occurred.  To that end, I am encouraged.  

• Like 3

The only reason we book a cruise going to GC is if we do a B2B 7 night cruises in the Caribbean to make it worth the travel from MI.   One of those cruises will always include GC because the cruise ship always alternates itineraries between west and east Caribbean.  We no longer get off of the ship and stay on board that day.   I wish all cruise lines would boycott that place and schedule another port.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1