How much buffer time should you have after an independent excursion to get back to the ship?

latebuyer

I was thinking of going on the taku lodge excursion (independent operator) in juneau which is a float plane. The plane would get back at 6:30 and our ship leaves at 8:00pm. My ship is royal caribbean which i believe is at the far port so i'm thinking to add 1/2 hour there to get back to the ship. Would that be enough time to get back? I don't know that i am feeling entirely comfortable with it given there is a possibility of mechanical problems. I tend to be a real doom and gloom person though. Thanks for your input.

I would try to be back at the ship by 7pm or 7:15 at the  latest

but I do not run very fast  so when the ship blows the horn I want to be on the ship 😄

How far  from the dock is the the float plane  drop off ?

I read its a 15-20 minute walk so must be short ride so maybe i could get back. I’ll have to think about this. It seems to me it would be cutting it pretty close.

Edited by latebuyer

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I was thinking of going on the taku lodge excursion (independent operator) in juneau which is a float plane. The plane would get back at 6:30 and our ship leaves at 8:00pm. My ship is royal caribbean which i believe is at the far port so i'm thinking to add 1/2 hour there to get back to the ship. Would that be enough time to get back? I don't know that i am feeling entirely comfortable with it given there is a possibility of mechanical problems. I tend to be a real doom and gloom person though. Thanks for your input.

All aboard is going to be earlier than the 8 o' clock ship departure. It does not sound to me like you have any margin of error.

• Like 2

I agree with ontheweb ... last boarding could be two hours before sailing, many factors affect that deadline.  Unless I knew I could get back to the ship by 5 for an 8pm sail, I'd book something else.

• Like 1

No answer, just questions: 

- Has this excursion provider been in business a while, and do they have a good reputation and plenty of positive independent reviews?

- If you're unsure about this particular excursion, do similar excursions exist?  Or slightly earlier time slots?  Or other tour providers?  I'm saying, Have you checked all your options?  

- I'm a bit confused on the transportation.  Does the tour provider pick you up /drop you off at the port, or must you make your way to the float plane yourself?  

- Personally, I like to be back on the ship (not heading towards the ship, but ON THE SHIP) two hours before "on board time".  That's my personal comfort level.   

• Like 3

On a private tour I generally tell them I want to be back at the ship one hour before "all aboard" time (which is usually 30 minutes before departure). If I'm really comfortable with the provider or we are close to the port, I will stretch it to 1 hour before actual departure (or 30 minutes before the "all aboard").

I haven't been on a ship in years where the All Aboard was more than 30 minutes before departure, but I suppose it can happen.

• Like 3

If you excursion finishes at 6:30 AND then it takes 20 minutes to walk to the port you would arrive at 6:50. If there is a 8:00 sailway, all aboard will usually be at 7:30. No, 40 minutes is far too close for me for a private tour - especially a plane. It's one thing if it's an excursion by van or bus. If it breaks down it's easy to send alternate transportation or to get a cab. There are so many mechanical or weather issues that can delay a plane.   I would take this one through the cruise line. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Just a comment though for newbies that you should really watch the refund policies on the independent excursions. I was lucky as mine was 24 hour cancellation.

glad to hear you could get a refund. Good tip. I always read through the refund policies on independent excursions. Even if you don't change your mind; there's always a chance that the ship will miss the stop or be too late for you to make the excursion. I don't book independent excursions without a pretty generous refund policy - and really try not to book ones that want payment upfront at all.

• Like 1

Frankly, I wouldn't be game to take an independent tour. At least if you book through the cruise line, the ship will wait if you are late.

Six people went AWOL on our most recent cruise - announcements over public address system, etc. Apparently two of them made it back, four didn't.

8 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Frankly, I wouldn't be game to take an independent tour. At least if you book through the cruise line, the ship will wait if you are late.

Six people went AWOL on our most recent cruise - announcements over public address system, etc. Apparently two of them made it back, four didn't.

You do not know they were on independent tours as opposed to just exploring on their own.

Independent tour operators know that bad publicity will kill off their business. They will make it their mission to get you back to the ship on time.

• Like 1

There is no Safe Buffer Time when not on a ship purchased tour.

Just consider your possible options like next port & transportation in case something goes wrong.

Even the best tour operators can have a breakdown or delay.

On 6/2/2023 at 11:32 AM, latebuyer said:

Thanks, as i said i’ve cancelled the excursion. I agree in the future i think i’ll only book a plane excursion through the cruise line.

I realize you cancelled (best be stress free).  

I was in Juneau last week.  Float planes were coming and going all day long right next to the cruise ship.  Distance to where I think they dock would be minutes by shuttle, I think.    Of course, there could be other float plane docks.   

Thanks, the problem is our ship docks 15-20 minutes away so additional time. Anyways it was also a cost issue-600..00 seems expensive for 3 hours. I can go on a trip for that amount of money. I should say the refund was really quick and i was impressed by that. Its wings airways and they are reputable.

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

My brother and sister-in-law were on a private tour bus from Warnemunde to Berlin that got hung up in return traffic.  Ship waited an extra 45 minutes for them.  There really is not concrete answer when it comes to what the ship will or won't do.  

Theoretically, you're right.  I think a Captain would tend to wait for any pax if possible.  They don't want to cause us any pain and will do what they can.  In the case of traffic to Warnemunde from Berlin at the end of the day, that's a popular excursion; there were probably others caught in the same mess.  Personally, I don't want the stress of worrying about anything while I'm travelling.  Morning excursions are easy, but I'd only book a full-day excursion from the cruiseline.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

After an experience in Istanbul that literally left me crying (we were locked into a carpet shop for nearly an hour by our guide, because of which we could only spend the briefest of visits in the Haghia Sofya after it was already nearly dark....) I vowed I would never again pay for a ship excursion if there was a way I could manage the same sites (or even better ones) on my own. 

We had a similar ship sponsored excursion in Istanbul.  We refused to enter the carpet shop.  Told the tour guide we would meet them after.  They didn't like it.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We had a similar ship sponsored excursion in Istanbul.  We refused to enter the carpet shop.  Told the tour guide we would meet them after.  They didn't like it.  

You were wiser than I. 😁

• Thanks 1

Yup, on a Viking cruise, we were locked into a gi-normous Chinese "cultural center'" souvenir shop for 90 minutes ... first they fed us some really awful food, then they announced that the bus would be back in an hour.  To be accurate, the doors weren't locked, but it was out in the boonies, so we had nowhere to go.  Our Tour Guide was actively running around urging us to buy things ... let your eye rest on something for 3 seconds, and someone swooped in and handed it to you.  It's a shame, I would have bought a very nice jade horse had they left me alone.  Next time I'll bring a snack and just stay on the bus with my book.