CCL adding supplies on long cruises

One of my "cruise rules" is if im getting sushi im getting it sailaway night or 1st day at sea. 

This led me to wonder how and where CCL restocks food in the Caribbean, especially on longer cruises. 

We have an upcoming 12 nt sailing, first 4 nt at sea.  Then 5 straight port days before 3 nt at sea before debarkation. 

What islands do you think would have ability to restock supplies for large ships?  Or does CCL just freeze most of the protein onboarded on embarkation day?  

• Like 1

They have more than enough capacity to store food for a 12-day cruise. 

Now will you be able to get a good banana after the first ten days or so? Probably not. 

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 1

I think we got sushi twice on our last 7 day cruise. I didn't give a crap about some unfounded hypothesis that it would be rancid or botulism. In fact, the sushi was top-notch. I wasn't thrilled about the elimination of late night snacks. However, the late night sushi was an acceptable substitution for a small price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, staceyglow said:

They have more than enough capacity to store food for a 12-day cruise. 

Now will you be able to get a good banana after the first ten days or so? Probably not. 

Banana Bread appears on Day 11.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Once or twice while docked at St. Thomas

on a Carnival Southern Caribbean cruise (remember them?)

we saw containers waiting dockside to replenish our ship.

We got soap in the shower, later that day (honestly..)!

Supplies-112.jpg

Supplies-191.jpg

• Like 2

Many cruisers have never been in one of the ship's Cold Rooms

but trust me ..they are a bit larger than your living room -

and freezing ruddy cold!

This one shown here was on an RCL vessel

but I'm sure they're much the same on all modern cruise ships.

ColdBox-3700.jpg

• Like 1

We have seen them load supplies on the ship in some ports.  We also get the sushi a few times while on our cruises - is literally one of the best things on the ship, and well-worth the (cheap) price they charge.  Whether on first or last day of our cruise, it is fresh, fresh, fresh!

Ships will typically load stores at turn-around for the next cruise, with an additional 7 day surplus.  Most species of fish sold for sushi in the US, retail, or commercial has been frozen to kill parasites, even if it is labeled "fresh".

10 hours ago, Aplmac said:

hey are a bit larger than your living room -

and freezing ruddy cold!

And, there will be about 16 of these rooms, total (chill or freeze).  One each is dedicated to each type of protein (beef/pork, poultry, seafood).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, there will be about 16 of these rooms, total

(chill or freeze). 

One each is dedicated to each type of protein

(beef/pork, poultry, seafood).

Interesting! Many thanks.

I like knowing how systems work.

Unlike many others, I don't take systems for granted.

• Like 3

When I sailed on a cargo ship from NYC to Australia, we had 30 days or so with no ports as we crossed the Pacific, so obviously no new food products brought onboard.  Nevertheless, we had fresh fruit every day, milk, eggs, yogurt, and full meals (only two choices for dinner).  I suspect they kept their own yogurt culture going, breads baked daily, and meats frozen. We never felt a lack of freshness or variety.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Interesting! Many thanks.

I like knowing how systems work.

Unlike many others, I don't take systems for granted.

You would probably enjoy the “behind the fun” tour. You get to see a lot of these areas for yourself. Check it out on your next cruise! You typically have to book it on embarkation day because it sells out very fast and spots are very limited. 

• Like 2

Can you guys imagine being a 'modern' person sailing aboard the Mayflower? Can you also imagine the line at Guest Services demanding FCC over the 'inedible' food?  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I had always heard no re-provisioning during a trip, but I am positive they must have done so on the Pride Transatlantic in April.  After 8 days at sea, suddenly (greenish) bananas made a reappearance after the Azores.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 12:54 PM, jsglow said:

Can you guys imagine being a 'modern' person sailing aboard the Mayflower? Can you also imagine the line at Guest Services demanding FCC over the 'inedible' food?  🤣

I wouldn't have enjoyed that voyage.  Historical accounts say the Pilgrims were quite the chair hogs and didn't control their kids very much.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, meanjean80 said:

I had always heard no re-provisioning during a trip, but I am positive they must have done so on the Pride Transatlantic in April.  After 8 days at sea, suddenly (greenish) bananas made a reappearance after the Azores.

Bananas get special treatment.  Some are ordered, and delivered at the start of the cruise as ripe/nearly ripe, and these are used first.  Some cases are ordered and delivered as very green.  Then by controlling the ethylene production (gas generated by ripening fruit) using ozone generators in the walk-in boxes, and even by proper placement in the box (some corners ripen faster than the open center of the box), they can control the ripening of the bananas to keep them green for days.

First hand experience from both cruise ships, and shipping bananas on cargo ships.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Bananas get special treatment.  Some are ordered, and delivered at the start of the cruise as ripe/nearly ripe, and these are used first.  Some cases are ordered and delivered as very green.  Then by controlling the ethylene production (gas generated by ripening fruit) using ozone generators in the walk-in boxes, and even by proper placement in the box (some corners ripen faster than the open center of the box), they can control the ripening of the bananas to keep them green for days.

First hand experience from both cruise ships, and shipping bananas on cargo ships.

That's bananas !  (couldn't resist so now I'll split)

• Haha 5