New Menu for Caneletto

SUESEABE

Oh my.  That really is a new menu.  It's surprising to see Italian sausages over pasta on a specialty restaurant menu.  That's an everyday dish in home kitchens.  The Canaletto lasagne was better than that served elsewhere on the ship.  Maybe too many people ordering it to go along with other main courses?  And no steak?  Huh?

A lot of good dishes are gone.

I had Canaletto booked for my birthday.  Gonna have to switch it up.  DH's is on the same cruise.  He has PG.  Guess I'll move over to Tamarind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

Crew News - If I prepaid for Canaletto meal through HIA, will an additional 

charge be added to my account because of the price increase? TIA

No.  It is my experience that prepayments for services will not be impacted by price increases.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

Crew News - If I prepaid for Canaletto meal through HIA, will an additional 

charge be added to my account because of the price increase? TIA

Jumping in - you won't be charged for the difference for price increases - that's the appeal of prepaying. 🙃 lot of conversation around that when gratuities increased. Wish we'd had the same heads up on laundry increase so we could have prepaid for it.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

Darn! We finally tried Canaletto on the 2023 WC and loved the lasagna and chicken parm. Disappointed that they were both removed. I’m not surprised that they increased the price. $19 was a pretty good deal- especially at 50% for us being 4*! Guess we’ll be skipping from now on.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 6:48 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

It sure seems like that.  Raised the price too on top of it.

Of course I donot know how it is in Canada and USA, but I checked my account on the cost of food here and the conclusion is that this year I spent about 40% more. And not because we totally changed our habits. So a change in price from € 19 to € 25 (without 18%) is not dramatic IMO. And of course, the 50% reduction, helps too.  I will wait and see what my reservations in Canaletto brings us from next Sunday.  Thank to you all for your comments in this discussion. 

• Like 8

On 6/5/2023 at 11:56 AM, Cruise Suzy said:

Jumbo Lump Crab Risotto was eliminated.

Well, that's me out then.

Looking at the new menu, the one word that comes to mind is 'mediocre' and that is without considering the atmosphere, service or quality of ingredients.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Of course I donot know how it is in Canada and USA, but I checked my account on the cost of food here and the conclusion is that this year I spent about 40% more. And not because we totally changed our habits. So a change in price from € 19 to € 25 (without 18%) is not dramatic IMO. And of course, the 50% reduction, helps too.  I will wait and see what my reservations in Canaletto brings us from next Sunday.  Thank to you all for your comments in this discussion. 

Yes, we have a blanket over top on Canada to prevent high prices 😉.  Our groceries are sky high too.  Of all the restaurants I go to where I live none have raised their prices 35 percent and replaced their menu with inferior items.  Also I’ve prepaid to eat in the mdr.  Where you live are you good with paying 35 percent more for a menu that is not as appealing?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes, we have a blanket over top on Canada to prevent high prices 😉.  Our groceries are sky high too.  Of all the restaurants I go to where I live none have raised their prices 35 percent and replaced their menu with inferior items.  Also I’ve prepaid to eat in the mdr.  Where you live are you good with paying 35 percent more for a menu that is not as appealing?

This has always been my issue with the Canaletto.  I already paid for dinner and now I am expected to pay more for a cuisine composed of relatively inexpensive groceries.  It just rubs me wrong and I can’t seem to justify it.  I only eat there when it is complimentary.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 7:33 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

For those of you unable to open, here is the menu @Florida_gal_50 posted in the link. There is always a way to post anything online 😉 

image.thumb.png.2e124b7fdd2919fc49213af9e73ced07.png

Hope that helps 🙂

Nothing  like the old menu .Loved the lamb chops . This new menu  definitely entered cheaper dishes ,Heck pasts is very very cheap . From what we see is less quality & less selections  with a higher price tab .

Now that their Have it All Plan is so popular ,they ring up the cash register & then figured out how to  screw the public. .This  like less quality in both Tamarind & Pinnacle /Do they care what we say  ? NO  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

This has always been my issue with the Canaletto.  I already paid for dinner and now I am expected to pay more for a cuisine composed of relatively inexpensive groceries.  It just rubs me wrong and I can’t seem to justify it.  I only eat there when it is complimentary.

I think HAL has tried to play both ends with Canaletto, unsuccessfully. Either make it a low-cost alternative to the MDR (e.g., not really "better" so much as a change of venue and menu) OR create a true, high quality authentic Italian experience.  

The way it is now, they are not making anyone happy....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think HAL has tried to play both ends with Canaletto, unsuccessfully. Either make it a low-cost alternative to the MDR (e.g., not really "better" so much as a change of venue and menu) OR create a true, high quality authentic Italian experience.  

The way it is now, they are not making anyone happy....

Is that even possible?  I think Sabatini's is quite nice on Princess (haven't done it for several years) but I don't know that I'd call that authentic.  I don't want to pay $100 for the experience.  I found the risotto, seafood soup and osso bucco to be very good in the Canaletto.  I've been disappointed with most other things.

18 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Is that even possible?  I think Sabatini's is quite nice on Princess (haven't done it for several years) but I don't know that I'd call that authentic.  I don't want to pay $100 for the experience.  I found the risotto, seafood soup and osso bucco to be very good in the Canaletto.  I've been disappointed with most other things.

Crystal's Prego for "Italian" was perfectly awful too. Unfortunately "real Italian" starts with perfect in-season ingredients that cannot successfully be stored on board.  Anything else is Italian wannabe.

That said the most recent iteration of Canaletto on the Konigsdam Holiday cruise a few months ago, was very good, but not necessarily "Italian". Sorry to see it go.

However, emphasis on "fresh pasta" can be an art form. Worth giving it a try. When fresh pasta is good, made with proper ingredients, even just butter and some lemon zest is good enough for a sublime taste and texture  experience.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Crystal's Prego for "Italian" was perfectly awful too. Unfortunately "real Italian" starts with perfect in-season ingredients that cannot successfully be stored on board.  Anything else is Italian wannabe.

That said the most recent iteration of Canaletto on the Konigsdam Holiday cruise a few months ago, was very good, but not necessarily "Italian". Sorry to see it go.

However, emphasis on "fresh pasta" can be an art form. Worth giving it a try. When fresh pasta is good, made with proper ingredients, even just butter and some lemon zest is good enough for a sublime taste and texture  experience.

I rarely eat the pasta.  It means nothing to me if it's fresh or not.  I don't think you can really judge a restaurant on one visit with items I would not pick.  Sometimes when I see what people suggest is so good, I'm wondering what they eat.  That said, I'm not expecting someone's Italian grandmother to be making my meal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I rarely eat the pasta.  It means nothing to me if it's fresh or not.  I don't think you can really judge a restaurant on one visit with items I would not pick.  Sometimes when I see what people suggest is so good, I'm wondering what they eat.  That said, I'm not expecting someone's Italian grandmother to be making my meal.

I'm not really sure Canaletto is worth the bother, really. The staff can be terrific but the food is certainly not your Italian grandmother's for the most part. The fresh pasta in Sardinia is enough to make me hop a plane.. there is one restaurant there that can bring such joy to my heart. But, when you are onboard, you are a captive audience. There is Italian food and then, other less enticing Italian food.

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

I'm not really sure Canaletto is worth the bother, really. The staff can be terrific but the food is certainly not your Italian grandmother's for the most part. The fresh pasta in Sardinia is enough to make me hop a plane.. there is one restaurant there that can bring such joy to my heart. But, when you are onboard, you are a captive audience. There is Italian food and then, other less enticing Italian food.

I would be shocked if anything compared to the food on land unless you are going to McDonald’s 🤪.  That said it’s probably quite a bit cheaper.  Probably McDonald’s would easily beat dive in.

• Like 1

This is menu from the Rotterdam Nav app today.  Because I want to know the 7 daily specials, I will continue checking.  Previously, with advanced notice, you could order a daily special any day of the week.  My husband will be very pleased the osso buco is on the main menu and I am pleased that the shrimp scampi is now on the main menu too.

IMG_7516.thumb.jpeg.509a2fbb72b6001c751566154f892377.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 0106 said:

This is menu from the Rotterdam Nav app today….

I was curious on reading this, so I looked on the Navigator app for our upcoming Noordam trip (still more than a year away). The updated price for Canaletto is showing, but there is no menu. Actually, there are no menus being shown for any of the dining options, nor does the wine list appear. They were all there a couple of weeks ago when I last looked.

• Like 1

Before my next cruise in May 2024, I'm sure there will be all kinds of changes made!  I won't be surprised if even a couple of the ports change so I'm not getting mentally invested in anything!  It's been a "go with the flow" situation for the last few years for sure!  With HAL recently advertising that they are wanting to up their game in Alaska I'm hoping the other cruises will benefit as well.

I'll just have to wait and see. 🙂

~Nancy

• Like 5