Have you ever missed a cruise because of airline meltdown . I would be so &*#@*&

dolittle

We are having another airline meltdown on the east coast . Saw some people in Newark airport who missed the ship and are still stuck in N.J. I know you should go a day or two early (we always do) but many have been stuck for multiple days. I feel so sorry for those caught up in these meltdown's and honestly wonder if I would keep my cool If I were them. Has this ever happened to you how did you handle it and did it turn you off to travel\ cruising . B.T.W . my wife daughter and grandkids flew out of Phila.to Orlando Wed. morning arrived by 10:00 A.M.had no problems . Some times you get lucky.

not yet

but  AC pilots  are in a position to strike the day we fly out for our cruise

Looking at flying  in the day before  if they will let us change the flights for free LOL

We have been delayed numerous times but  we go in  a day or more early especially when going overseas

No.

Minor delays only. Once we were delayed for most of a day due to computer  breakdown issue. Long day stuck in airport.

and also overseas trip we went on in 2019 to Fiji (not a cruise) we were delayed overnight before flying out  due to some safety issue with the plane

Annoying - but would rather that than airline takes chance on safety with possibly disasterous outcome.

We were already in Melbourne by then  - ie for our connecting flight. Virgin put us up for the night in hotel and gave us meal voucher for dinner there and we flew out  next morning.

4 minutes ago, dolittle said:

We are having another airline meltdown on the east coast . Saw some people in Newark airport who missed the ship and are still stuck in N.J. I know you should go a day or two early (we always do) but many have been stuck for multiple days. I feel so sorry for those caught up in these meltdown's and honestly wonder if I would keep my cool If I were them. Has this ever happened to you how did you handle it and did it turn you off to travel\ cruising . B.T.W . my wife daughter and grandkids flew out of Phila.to Orlando Wed. morning arrived by 10:00 A.M.had no problems . Some times you get lucky.

For leisure Intercontinental travel, we’ve only come close once to missing a connection (despite our usual plan/practice rule for a minimum 3 hour layover).

Last year, we were flying SFO-FRA-BCN bizclass (United on the long haul and Lufthansa on the short leg). The planned layover was 3.5 hours.

First red flag was an hour delay for the originating flight from SFO. That alone would not have been a problem except that FRA passport control was overwhelmed (to put it mildly) having us in an hour long line just to get to the passport line (which took another 15-20 minutes!!!. 

If you’ve ever been to the FRA airport in summer, you know what came next: an absolute maze overrun by way too many people on holiday. (Why then did we choose FRA? We did/do so because that route often has among the least expensive Star Alliance SFO to Europe’s required connections that have reasonable layovers of 3+ hours).  We had already used up almost 2.5 hours between the SFO and FRA “delays.” So, our mad dash to the connection gate, including an all-too-quick potty-stop (and glass-o’-wine grab) at a Star Alliance bizclass lounge, got us there just as boarding for our flight to BCN was beginning.

All that said, and because we prefer United from SFO, there’s another reason why we generally use major Star Alliance hubs when connections are needed. For that flight, and for all of our intercontinental flights with connections, I try to prepare and carry a short list of good alternate Star Alliance itineraries on our flight day plus the next day). And because Plan A always gets us to the embark city at least two days prior, I’ve got my flexible preferred “ticket reassignment” carrier list available for United customer service (either by phone or at the airport). 

In 2014, we caught the last HAL transfer from Santiago to Valparaiso Chile after spending long enough at LAX to get meal vouchers. I spend the time finding someone in Santiago that could take us to Puerto Montt! We did not miss the ship. And it wasn't a 'melt down' but a simple equipment failure.

These days, we are not planning a cruise with flights until the second half of 2024. AND we charge 100% of our trips to our Chase Sapphire Reserve and I would be getting in touch with them for help!

Exactly once we flew in the day of the cruise.  We had plenty of time, the driver was right there, but I was a nervous wreck.  Our 'boarding photo' is proof of that!  I would hope that I have enough knowledge and connections to extricate us from a meltdown like the ones that are now happening too often.  But this post is enough to urge me to fly in TWO days early in the future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crystalspin said:

we charge 100% of our trips to our Chase Sapphire Reserve and I would be getting in touch with them for help!

And just would you expect them to do for you?  Other than making good any financial losses/expenses due to trip interruption (within their coverage limits, of course)?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

And just would you expect them to do for you?  Other than making good any financial losses/expenses due to trip interruption (within their coverage limits, of course)?

This exactly, if the delay had made it necessary. I thought that was clear.

I have not lost a cruise but in three cases (out of 36 cruises) there has been a stressful situation. A case where the plane had a technical problem - we were re-routed with another airline. Another case was a airline strike - again re-routing with another airline - in both situations much later arrival at the ship than planned. Last situation was lost luggage - it takes some of the joy out of the cruise.
In all three cases we flew out the day before - it has taught me that flying a day before is not necessarily enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

This exactly, if the delay had made it necessary. I thought that was clear.

That takes the financial sting out of any added expense.  But most people would take "getting in touch with them for help" to mean assistance in being rerouted to our destination.

• Like 1

I can tell you from personal experience that no, pax are not "keeping their cool" with all the recent travel delays.  But, losing it with an agent is really not going to help you.  And, you can't be rebooked if there are no available seats.  Hopefully, those who are going to or have already missed their cruises had a good travel insurance policy that covered this.  

If you want to have the best chance of making your flight with the least amount of hassle, choose the first nonstop flight of the day, if possible, and don't check bags.

• Like 1

Flew to Copenhagen last summer during the SAS strike. We flew Air Canada, so other than being about 3 hours late into Copenhagen, we had no issues. But many on our cruise did...delays, re-routes, and related. Our first stop was Alesund, and there was a huge stack of luggage, along with 10 pax and 10 crew catching up with the ship.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Chase would be of great help if you booked the tix through their travel desk.  I've had such good CS from my Sapphire Reserve over the years, I think I would contact them for help with tix I booked direct.  Chase owns their travel portal now.   May not be able to extricate me from the mess, but it's possible.  Perhaps rent a car and drive to another airport ... who knows?  But it's always worth a try.  BTW, I always laugh at belligerent replies that imply the OP is an idiot.  There are other ways to communicate, you know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

I always laugh at belligerent replies that imply the OP is an idiot.  There are other ways to communicate, you know.

Not belligerent.  Just wanting to clarify what people have as their expectation.

Way too many have this belief that a cruiseline or a credit card can miraculously assist them, rather than dealing directly with the travel provider, the airline, themselves.  Because it is ultimately the airline that will re-accommodate the passenger.  Why not go to them directly right away?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not belligerent.  Just wanting to clarify what people have as their expectation.

Way too many have this belief that a cruiseline or a credit card can miraculously assist them, rather than dealing directly with the travel provider, the airline, themselves.  Because it is ultimately the airline that will re-accommodate the passenger.  Why not go to them directly right away?

Perhaps an even worse belief is that promised “assistance” includes coverage of the additional associated costs that assistance incurs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Good point about contacting the airline directly.  My assumption was that would be the first step, and Chase would be the second step if the original airline couldn't get them to the cruise on time.

On 6/29/2023 at 6:03 PM, crystalspin said:

In 2014, we caught the last HAL transfer from Santiago to Valparaiso Chile after spending long enough at LAX to get meal vouchers. I spend the time finding someone in Santiago that could take us to Puerto Montt! We did not miss the ship. And it wasn't a 'melt down' but a simple equipment failure.

These days, we are not planning a cruise with flights until the second half of 2024. AND we charge 100% of our trips to our Chase Sapphire Reserve and I would be getting in touch with them for help!

Check your Guide to Benefits so you know exactly what kind of help to expect. Your Trip Delay or Trip Interruption must be directly attributed to weather in order to qualify for coverage. Subsequent cancellations or delays caused by scheduling problems as a result of missing equipment or flight crews are not covered.

8 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Chase would be of great help if you booked the tix through their travel desk.  I've had such good CS from my Sapphire Reserve over the years, I think I would contact them for help with tix I booked direct.  Chase owns their travel portal now.   May not be able to extricate me from the mess, but it's possible.  Perhaps rent a car and drive to another airport ... who knows?  But it's always worth a try.  BTW, I always laugh at belligerent replies that imply the OP is an idiot.  There are other ways to communicate, you know.

They might make an accommodation for you as a good customer, but what you suggest is not covered by the Chase travel benefits. If your situation qualifies for Trip Delay, you are eligible for up to $500 for hotel and meals. Additional transportation is not covered.

20 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

I can tell you from personal experience that no, pax are not "keeping their cool" with all the recent travel delays.  But, losing it with an agent is really not going to help you.  And, you can't be rebooked if there are no available seats.  Hopefully, those who are going to or have already missed their cruises had a good travel insurance policy that covered this.  

If you want to have the best chance of making your flight with the least amount of hassle, choose the first nonstop flight of the day, if possible, and don't check bags.

My niece is a F.A. for American and gives the same advice. Sounds like you work for one of the airlines.I always  fell sorry for the gate people they take most of the anger from some people who act like real jerks .

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dolittle said:

My niece is a F.A. for American and gives the same advice. Sounds like you work for one of the airlines.I always  fell sorry for the gate people they take most of the anger from some people who act like real jerks .

Yes, I work for a major U.S. carrier.  It seems as if people leave their brains and manners outside the airport door.  I don’t like working gates, but don’t think that’s the position where agents receive the most abuse.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, texasstar said:

Is  Chace no longer using Expedia as their travel portal?

Far as I know, Chase bought the company that replaced Expedia not too long ago and is now in a position to conquer the travel world.  I did not have any issues with Expedia, but I was never very comfortable ... third-party booking sites don't have the level of customer service that I want.  So I'm glad it's 'all Chase again'.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Babr said:

They might make an accommodation for you as a good customer, but what you suggest is not covered by the Chase travel benefits. If your situation qualifies for Trip Delay, you are eligible for up to $500 for hotel and meals. Additional transportation is not covered.

If I am in the midst of a true disaster, like being stranded at EWR, my only priority is to get to my destination.  I wouldn't be worrying about who is paying the bill.  If I didn't have the resources to deal with problems, I wouldn't be flying.  

• Like 1