The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 3rd, 2023

richwmn

Good morning from a mostly sunny central Texas where it is 77F and feels like 77F.  Our high will be 94F with a chance of thunderstorms after 1 pm.  We'll see what happens.

An interesting collection of days.  I can compliment my mirror, but at times not the image in the mirror.  We don't need to build a scarecrow since we don't have a garden.  We do have a murder of about five crows that seem to like our yard.  I agree with Roy @rafinmd and Tina @0106 that non-violent civil disobedience is sometimes necessary.  John Lewis accomplished a lot with his "good trouble".  However, the so called disobedience that ends in violence, destruction of property and injury or death is not the way to make changes.

Right now, I wish time and life would slow down some.

We'll pass on the meal, but might try crab cakes instead.  We'll pass on the drink, but it's another Pinot Noir that I would like to try if it wasn't elusive and pricey.

We have not been to today's port.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for the explanation of compliment your mirror day.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I hope you catch more fish to go with the one John caught yesterday.  Thanks for another picture of a beautiful iris.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad your DS could come help the family.  I'm very sorry Lou had set backs yesterday.  Sending positive thoughts that today he is very much improved.  Please take care of yourself and try to get some rest.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm so very sorry Ivan is still not doing well, and I hope he improves quickly.  I agree with your neighbor that you've been through so much that you don't deserve this.  However, Ivan does deserve you and your loving help.

356628400_783079303376042_4892888512569996945_n.thumb.jpg.6cba3734cb7c9c264e2555f6cb0d72cb.jpg

357099442_296527802731780_2965851238736227293_n.jpg.50aaa38cf920f93e15cf54fd4317aff8.jpg

345590182_2296954553810157_651269942291835849_n.thumb.jpg.cd92771a580a12e6bde003852a6460be.jpg

348438707_1629785177499058_374856815507695711_n.thumb.jpg.76325292f9cb5548171ebf0c3ec677e8.jpg

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 14

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Another gloomy day here similar to yesterday.  We did brighten the day yesterday by attending a ukulele concert downtown as part of the Harborfest celebrations; everyone was smiling even though it was raining.  I like the days today and the quote reminds us to take each day as it comes.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but I’m guessing that the drink will be too sweet for me.  I look forward to the photos of today’s port as we’ll be there next June.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list, I hope Ivan recovers soon.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events like getting a spa treatment on a BHB!

• Like 24

39 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning.It is hazy, hot and humid.I did not post yesterday but was sorry to read about  Joy's accident with Allen in the wheelchair.I hope you are both alright.Also very sorry to read about Ivan and hope he is better today.Blue bubbles elude me.

We have  been to Staveger and enjoyed the boat tour.

I certainly engaged in acts of civil disobedience  in my youth and would not change a thing.

Yesterday was harrowing  for most of the family.My DS arrived to support us and was extremely  helpful.DH had a series of setbacks and  we left the hospital at midnight.We shall see what today brings.

I'm sad to hear Lou had a number of setbacks yesterday Terry.

Prayers 🙏 for a much better day today for all of your dear family.

Graham.

• Like 13

We’re into full hit and humid summer weather, which fir me means air conditioning. 90s again. 
Got DGD and her DH off yesterday. They have a lot of energy and came to help with projects. We made some good progress!  They took bags of stuff back in their truck, most to move forward to donation centers or friends. Plus we “fed” a bunch to the dumpsters. DH and DGSIL fixed one of our adjustable beds and made trips to 2 hardware stores for parts. DH wants to install an additional towel bar next to the bathroom sink. The visit was busy but productive. 

Yesterday we recovered!  We spent some time looking at cruises!  I’ve always wanted to do an Eastern Canada and New England itinerary. Lots to choose from but we will have to work around or change some appointments. It’s worth considering. We also are considering Smithsonian visits and day trips which I’d love to do but reality is that we’ll have to stay out of crowds until after surgery Aug 1 to reduce our risk of picking up COVID.  The hospitals and outpatient surgery centers are still screening out people who have had COVID in the 2 weeks prior. This eye surgery has to happen if there’s any hope of getting DH off the eye drops that he’s become allergic to. Thanks Vanessa for keeping us on the rotation!  

Today I’ll tackle some boxes DGD helped me bring up from our storage room. But first I need a plan - do I unpack them?  Or go through them hoping to reduce volume and repack stuff for our next move?  Next home is not likely to have a storage room like we have now so downsizing is essential. I need to start thinking in terms of “Where will this go in the next home?”  It’s a lot but it’s all good!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope, especially our Care List. 
Cheers to all celebrating🎉. Life is good!  🌈
Smooth travels to all away, smoother seas for @Cruzin Terri  

Thanks Graham @grapau27 for the P&O thoughts. We looked at TAs to England. Could then take a P&O!  We have Ireland on our list too, and loved our time in England, especially the 10 days heritage stay in Cornwall where we searched up DHs family. Very meaningful. Then a land tour and time on our own in London, never enough!  And wouldn’t mind revisiting Norway too!  Stavanger was on our Hurtigrutin cruise. Keeping dreaming keeps life going!  
—Maureen 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s a work day and I expect customer calls and emails to be minimal.  I do have enough things to do since I had Friday off.  Another 10 people were let go on Friday.  I’m now considering cancelling our December cruise until I feel like the cuts are done.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion and we will have chicken instead.  I think every day is disobedience day with the cats, they rarely listen.  @kazu I hope Ivan feels better soon.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.687173f3ea56ecd3fe3499f704874d17.png

• Like 29
  • Haha 5

Good sunny and humid morning. Like Denise T we had storms and tornado warnings last night, more rain expected today.

Trouble has a routine vet appointment this afternoon and we’ll also discuss Houdini with him.🤞🐾

On a happy note. Nieuw Amsterdam officially becomes a teenager tomorrow. I wish I was there to celebrate 🎉🎂🍾🚢

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 27

1 minute ago, RMLincoln said:

We’re into full hit and humid summer weather, which fir me means air conditioning. 90s again. 
Got DGD and her DH off yesterday. They have a lot of energy and came to help with projects. We made some good progress!  They took bags of stuff back in their truck, most to move forward to donation centers or friends. Plus we “fed” a bunch to the dumpsters. DH and DGSIL fixed one of our adjustable beds and made trips to 2 hardware stores for parts. DH wants to install an additional towel bar next to the bathroom sink. The visit was busy but productive. 

Yesterday we recovered!  We spent some time looking at cruises!  I’ve always wanted to do an Eastern Canada and New England itinerary. Lots to choose from but we will have to work around or change some appointments. It’s worth considering. We also are considering Smithsonian visits and day trips which I’d love to do but reality is that we’ll have to stay out of crowds until after surgery Aug 1 to reduce our risk of picking up COVID.  The hospitals and outpatient surgery centers are still screening out people who have had COVID in the 2 weeks prior. This eye surgery has to happen if there’s any hope of getting DH off the eye drops that he’s become allergic to. Thanks Vanessa for keeping us on the rotation!  

Today I’ll tackle some boxes DGD helped me bring up from our storage room. But first I need a plan - do I unpack them?  Or go through them hoping to reduce volume and repack stuff for our next move?  Next home is not likely to have a storage room like we have now so downsizing is essential. I need to start thinking in terms of “Where will this go in the next home?”  It’s a lot but it’s all good!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope, especially our Care List. 
Cheers to all celebrating🎉. Life is good!  🌈
Smooth travels to all away, smoother seas for @Cruzin Terri  

Thanks Graham @grapau27 for the P&O thoughts. We looked at TAs to England. Could then take a P&O!  We have Ireland on our list too, and loved our time in England, especially the 10 days heritage stay in Cornwall where we searched up DHs family. Very meaningful. Then a land tour and time on our own in London, never enough!  And wouldn’t mind revisiting Norway too!  Stavanger was on our Hurtigrutin cruise. Keeping dreaming keeps life going!  
—Maureen 

If you sail into Southampton about 40 miles away at Newbury is Highclere castle where Downton abbey is filmed.

It is recommended to pre-book on line.

P&O Iona does 7 night cruises every week from April 8th to September 14th in 2024 to the Norwegian Fjords.

If you book a balcony definitely avoid deck 8 as it is the promenade deck and you have no privacy.

P&O Aurora and Arcadia are adults only and smaller ships and favourites of long time P&O veterans. 

A couple of friends on RCL had just been on an MSC ship sailing from Miami and reported a lot of disobedient behaviour on board.

The new MSC Virtuoso was fabulous when we were on her in April 2023 out of Southampton.

• Like 17

Jacqui @kazu I hope Ivan begins to come out of it and can move on to different meds and an improved outlook.  You're a good mom to him and he knows it!🐶

Terry @smitty34877 I'm sorry to hear your DH had some setbacks yesterday and how upsetting that was to you all.  Prayers for him to recover and come home soon, and strength for you and the family.🙏

Maureen @RMLincoln I hope you and DH can remain Covid free and healthy as you get closer to his Aug. 1 surgery.🤞

Whoops!  Edited to add I'm wearing my Stavanger port t-shirt I bought on Princess.   Honoring our port of the day!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  As a child I helped my mom build a scarecrow out at the farm; it was fun putting it together from old clothes.  No need for one in the city.  I'll compliment my mirror by quoting Billy Crystal: "You look mahvelous!!"  I wasn't a disobedient child, but did take part in some civil disobedience for good causes in my teen/young adult years.

We had a good time yesterday at a friend's 80th birthday party; DH used to teach with him and we shared many evenings and weekends together with our young families.  It was nice seeing so many of DH's former colleagues at the celebration, but as DH put it "Everyone's looking old."  Yes, they're all in their later years, so I guess that's bound to happen.  The weather was great for an outdoor gathering with just enough of a breeze to ruffle our skirts and keep the mosquitoes at bay.  After we got home around 8PM a cold front moved in and the smoke billowed in as well - I couldn't believe how quickly it appeared, and the smoke was thick like we were sitting directly in front of a campfire.  The sun was a giant ball of brilliant orange, unlike any other we've seen before during forest fire season - it looked like a bright orange Lifesaver.  I tried capturing it on my iPhone, but the photos couldn't do it justice compared to the real thing.

@Seasick SailorI am so sorry to hear about your tumble with Allen; I am sure he was happy to have had you for a soft landing, but poor you!  And your toe - I hurt just looking at the picture!!

@smitty34877 How disheartening to hear of Lou's setback - I hope the doctors can give him something to bring him back to good health again.  So glad your DS was able to come and help you out with the family.

@kazu Sad to hear Ivan's had more health issues, but am so glad he's got you as his Mom to take good care of him.  Take care of yourself too, though.

Not a lot happening today, but the cooler temperature will make working in the yard much more pleasant.  We're only expecting a high of +20 (68), so it will be quite comfortable, as I think we're going to clean the barbecue grills (DH) and I've been tasked with cleaning and scrubbing the foldable camp chairs.

I'd like to try today's wine, but it's out of my budget, and as for the drink of the day, who doesn't like Pop Rocks???  We always have some on hand when our grandsons come, as they're just fun!  I'm sure we'd like today's menu suggestion, but don't have any shrimp on hand.  DH said once the grills are cleaned, he wants to fire the BBQ up again, so I've got a couple of pork chops thawing that will be grilled and served along with a Caesar salad and baked potatoes on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

I went back yesterday and took a serious look at cruising to the port of Olbia, Sadinia after posting my Daily. MSC has two cruises in the timeframe that we plan on being over in Italy before our Transatlantic on the Nieuw Statendam in November. One is a RT from Genoa that goes as far as Lisbon and returns with Olbia the last port before returning to Genoa. The other which we are now seriously considering is a short 4-night RT from Genoa aboard the MSC Sinfonia. It calls on Cannes and Olbia (two new ports for us) along with a sea day. It would mean that we add about six days at the front end of our trip which would now be 46 days. That would be four different cruise ships on the same trip, three white hull and one BHB! We will have land days between for visiting Italy except for an across-the-terminal in Genoa for #2 and #3. Now to just get the final OK from Sue.  ☺️

@kazu Jacqui, I hope Ivan improves today. Senior dogs are so similar to older people. My Sam gets meds four times a day regularly. Sometimes on a punky day I may give him an extra Tramadol for pain. 

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

P&O Aurora and Arcadia are adults only and smaller ships and favourites of long time P&O veterans. 

Graham, I will add that the P&O Arcadia is the "fifth" Vista-class and sistership to the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Noordam. Originally ordered by HAL (built between Westerdam and Noordam) but then allocated to Cunard as the Queen Victoria - and then re-allocated to P&O to be  finished as the Arcadia with a Cunard funnel.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning to All!

Thanks for the update.  Great collection of days - I finally learned to compliment my mirror when I started doing travel nursing in 2001!  I learned I was dang good at what I do!  I am a rule follower (sort of) but will speak up when I think something is wrong; I do believe in non-violent civil disobedience.  The drink seems too sweet for me, shrimp cakes maybe a try, and never been to Norway.  

My trip yesterday was fun!  Did a circle up through where I lived when we moved to AZ in my teen years and then circled back to Tucson via where people go tubing down the Salt River (near Phoenix). I don't think I have ever gone that way before.  The weather was beautiful but not as cool as I had hoped (around 90).  But better than the 115 in Phoenix and 106 in Tucson!

Today is a "I am going to goof around" day.  Well, sort of.  I bought a world map in English (I have one in Chinese) and some world flag pins.  I am going to put it on a tack board I have to document the many countries I have been to.  I think I am up to over 50.  Just about 150 more to go!! Making homemade yogurt and some tomato sauce is also on the agenda.

Thoughts for those on the care list and Cheers to those celebrating, cruising or getting ready to cruise.

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 28

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  We had several rounds of thunder and lightning last night, but only one round of rain.  It seems that in the hood , the thing to do on a holiday is shoot your gun up  in the air.  It's too bad that the earth doesn't stop spinning, so that the bullets come down on the shooters.

Ack, this country maybe just this county drives me nuts.

I have my therapy this morning.,  I went last Friday, but it turns out I was off a week, this week it's Monday and Friday.  MRI on Thursday to see how the "growth" in my lung is doing.  

@dfish, Zum makes a sea salt soap, maybe you could buy that get in the tub, and pretend you are at the beach?

@smitty34877I hope you get better news this morning.

@kazuI hope Ivan is doing better later this afternoon.

To all the recent toe accident participants, I hope you all feel better soon.

img_0869.jpg

Its-Monday-you-haz-more-coffee.jpg

b86421c3be8bfe37cbf9128d7a828619--dog-stuff-funny-stuff.jpg

animals-july_fourth-fourth_of_july-fireworks-cats-pets-blon275_low.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 15
  • Haha 13

Good morning all!

Interesting collection of days.  I'll pass on the sweet drink and red wine, but the recipes are all so good it's hard to pick one.  I think I'll make the one with the lemon aioli, and add some red peppers and chives.  Hopefully that will be dinner tonight if I find shrimp today on our grocery run.  We've been to Norway a few times but never to Stravenger -- thank you to all who post photos today!

Joy @Seasick Sailor Ouch about your poor toe!  I'm sure it's extremely painful, hope you're doing ok.

Jacqui @kazu I'm sorry to hear that Ivan is not doing well yet today.  Hopefully the meds are the main reason he's drowsy and no appetite since that is a side effect -- in any case I hope he feels better soon.

Terry @smitty34877 I was very sorry to hear that your DH had some setbacks yesterday.  I'm hoping today will be better.

Paul @kochleffel Did I miss it or have your kitties come out of hiding?  We would love some photos!

Jake @Crazy For Cats I hope the cutbacks at work are done.  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Excellent report this morning... that Volendam is on it's way to MEEEEE, I can't wait! Did you see the news? Mr. loveandpeas and I are celebrating our 14th, not 16th, anniversary. I have no explanation for this gaffe or my lack of ability to count... I clearly need a vacation. 😂

• Like 16
  • Haha 13

Good morning.  Happy day before the 4th.  Our little town here on the Oregon coasts has their fireworks tonight.  Can share the fun as the two towns north and south of us have their shows on the 4th.  Traffic is already busy up and down the highway.  But the fog has lifted and  we can see the bay.  Extreme low tides this evening will give plenty of beach goers room to set up and enjoy the show.  We can see the fireworks from our deck just fine!  It will should be a good show with the huge moon showing tonight.

Thanks for all the news and pictures.  Appreciate the hard work everyone puts into this.  Prayers to all on the list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating over the holiday.  

Stay safe out there.

Mary

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Graham, I will add that the P&O Arcadia is the "fifth" Vista-class and sistership to the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Noordam. Originally ordered by HAL (built between Westerdam and Noordam) but then allocated to Cunard as the Queen Victoria - and then re-allocated to P&O to be  finished as the Arcadia with a Cunard funnel.

We were on her maiden voyage then booked again for 4 weeks later.

Paulines best friends nephew is an engineer on Arcadia.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  

@smitty34877 prayers for strength and peace and improvement for Lou! 
@kazu praying for improvement for Ivan,  

The huge tornado here had a path two kilometres wide and was on the ground for over twenty minutes.   It completely destroyed several homes and killed many cattle and a horse,   Miraculously there was no loss of human life, so lucky it was in a sparsely populated area.  

@Nickelpenny there is a century club I believe if you visit 100 countries.   We’re working on that, lol!  

@Heartgrove now I’m curious about the Queen Victoria?   We sailed on her and to my knowledge she still exists.   Your cruising plans sound interesting.

@RMLincolnhope you are able to remain Healthy.  I was advised by my doctor to quarantine before surgery.  

Seems like we just had Stavanger as port, I’ll share a more local heart 

image.thumb.jpeg.321884370cb518d72c2b995dea91ca1f.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Well no trip to the vet today. Apparently they never put it in their system, even though we have a card with it on. Just have to reschedule, wasn’t looking forward to getting him in the carrier anyway. The one receptionist that handled appointments recently retired and the new people are still learning.

• Like 18

16 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Taking our Bailey into the vet this afternoon. She has stopped eating and pooping. I think the tumor has grown. It may be time. 😢

Oh summer I'm so sorry. This is always so hard. Thinking of you & Bailey! ❤️ 

• Like 13

42 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@Heartgrove now I’m curious about the Queen Victoria?   We sailed on her and to my knowledge she still exists.   Your cruising plans sound interesting.

Yes, the Queen Victoria that you sailed on is still sailing. The Arcadia story is a true cruise ship historical story. My understanding is that Carnival Corporation, exercising corporate power over its companies, decided to switch the HAL ship (I guess what would have been the Noordam) to Cunard. Work continued to progress as it has the Cunard funnel. But Cunard finally convinced CCL to agree to a completely new build for them. One of the major points that Cunard made was that the bow and hull needed to be strengthened to withstand North Atlantic sailing year round. By that time the Noordam was in the pipeline so the Arcadia transferred this time to P&O.

Yes, the 2024 Fall cruise plan has had probably 20 or so versions! Plan, and plan again. We just decided to actually switch our Transatlantic from the Rotterdam leaving from Rotterdam to the Nieuw Statendam leaving from Civitavecchia a month later. This way we can spend more time in Italy and not spend two days travel to Rotterdam. It has required looking at different cruise pairings for MSC as some of their ships will begin migrating to their winter sailing ports by then and won't be available for the Mediterranean.

So the plan is the short 4-night that includes Olbia from Genoa, a few days later a 7-night from Civitavecchia to Santorini and Mykonos that ends in Genoa, cross the pier to leave 8 hours later on a different ship for 11-nights to Funschal and Tenerife that goes back to Genoa, and then a few days later the Transatlantic. Time to relax on the long sea days after all that.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1