Footwear for MDR

CruiserN1

4 hours ago, Bestbubba said:

My teenage grandchildren tell me crocs with socks are the fashion! 

Every generation has a fashion trend to regret in laterr years. BTW I exempt medical workers and people like @Potstech from scorn of wearing socks w/Crocs.

• Like 2

on the last cruise I wore 'real dress shoes' (years ago) - I started pointing out to my wife how many men were wearing tennis shoes, etc.  She stated she never really noticed - I said 'exactly' - 

next cruise - black on black leather tennis shoes, with rubber soles - now have the same style in dark brown also.  Crocs??? are you kidding me - maybe by the pool if you're 12 and under 😉🦄😎

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They've never been mentioned in any part of a Princess dress code. 

Perhaps you missed it. It is the one absolute in the dress code. It is there for everyone's safety. Beyond avoiding someone's feet getting cut up, no problem with style.

Shoes must be worn.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

This is the 21st Century. Anybody judging you because of the shoes you're wearing probably inspired one of the characters in Succession.

Being limited in what I could bring, for our 2023 Alaskan cruise I brought only the shoes I was wearing: a pair of black Saucony running shoes. These worked for everything: airports, walking around Seattle, the decks, dining rooms, hiking to Nugget Falls, hour long sessions on the elliptical machine, everything. The longish cuffs on my suit pants even managed to cover the more garish parts of the shoes.

Wear what you want as long as it's useable in emergency situations.

• Like 2

i usually weak my keen sandals the entire time.  i have a pair of black on black sneakers i plan to bring this time.  i just plum don't care, what other people wear to dinner does not affect my dinner.  also i don't care if iam wearing sneaks with my dress.  i'm one of those who doesn't moan about the dress code, i had enough of that in school and for work.

you will be fine wearing what you need for comfort and health.

Edited by vampiress
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Every generation has a fashion trend to regret in laterr years. BTW I exempt medical workers and people like @Potstech from scorn of wearing socks w/Crocs.

Guilty!  When I worked in the OR, I wore Crocs with socks! 🙋‍♀️

I have hip and foot issues. Not sure if it would help you, but Vionic has some really nice supportive shoes. I’ve had a pair of their walking shoes for several years now.   Wear what makes you comfortable.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Perhaps you missed it. It is the one absolute in the dress code. It is there for everyone's safety. Beyond avoiding someone's feet getting cut up, no problem with style.

Shoes must be worn.

How worn?  I usually save my newer shoes for dress up and relegate my worn ones to yard work.  😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/5/2023 at 2:37 PM, 1emerald1 said:

I always follow the dress code, however just before a cruise awhile back I got a fungal infection on my big toe from a pedicure and had to have the toenail removed. I could not fit that foot into any sort of shoe whatsoever.  So, to my chagrin, I just bought some sparkly sandals, and no one said a word.  I did have that toe completely bandaged so no one would have to look at it.

Forget about nice shoes.

Wish I could wear sparkly sandals     :O(

We cruise all the time. My feet are in horrid shape from arthritis. I can hardly wear ladies sandals anymore so most of the time I wear men's sandals....no one seems to care on the ship.

I am just thank full that I can still walk    :O)

• Like 5

As others have said, it's not going to be an issue.  Even for formal night I got some totally black Rockport walking shoes that have never been an issue.  Hope you are feeling better soon and that your injury doesn't hamper your cruise experience any.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janice2348 said:

I have hip and foot issues. Not sure if it would help you, but Vionic has some really nice supportive shoes. I’ve had a pair of their walking shoes for several years now.   Wear what makes you comfortable.  

My “dressy” sandals are Vionic.  Black patent (low heel) and very comfortable.  Long gone are the days when I sashayed around in my stilettos.  I have to admit, I loved them and so did DH!  lol

• Like 2

I think it is okay, no problem!!!   Even if not totally necessary due to physical issues.

There should be a simple neutral (all black) pair of athletic or walking or yoga type shoes somewhere to be found.

However, I will say this about the MDR...  When it comes to footwear, I would look at like this.  What would be acceptable to wear in my friends and loved ones nice homes. 

I have heard the "Alaska" comments before.

But, seriously, would I want somebody to walk into my house, for a nice dinner or event, tracking in mud from their hike that day all over their hiking boots?

Respect, people...

A little goes a long way!

Thev only thing I would say is try wearing sneakers that don't stand out.Try to get something that "goes" with your outfit rather than sneakers that shout "Look at me".(referring to the sneakers, not the person)

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2023 at 8:23 PM, Thrak said:

One has to especially love the look of shorts worn with sandals and black knee socks.

Yes. I neve figured that fashion statement out.

On 7/5/2023 at 9:51 PM, Ombud said:

@CruiserN1 no one cares what you've got on your feet on any cruise. Says someone who only wears Skechers 

I wear sketchers often. Some look like nice casual shoes, but way more comfortable. Crocs? Disgusting. My opinion & I'll stick with it.

On 7/5/2023 at 4:18 PM, CruiserN1 said:

I am rehabbing a hip injury and can't walk very far wearing anything other than tennis shoes/trainers/sneakers without aggravating it. We leave July 14 on Crown to Alaska. Will there be an issue if I wear athletic footwear to the MDR for dinner? (Not trying to start a debate about proper dress, just want to make sure I'm prepared).

Nobody will care not to worry.

On 7/5/2023 at 4:18 PM, CruiserN1 said:

I am rehabbing a hip injury and can't walk very far wearing anything other than tennis shoes/trainers/sneakers without aggravating it. We leave July 14 on Crown to Alaska. Will there be an issue if I wear athletic footwear to the MDR for dinner? (Not trying to start a debate about proper dress, just want to make sure I'm prepared).

No issue. Enjoy your cruise 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 8:40 AM, voljeep said:

on the last cruise I wore 'real dress shoes' (years ago) - I started pointing out to my wife how many men were wearing tennis shoes, etc.  She stated she never really noticed - I said 'exactly' - 

next cruise - black on black leather tennis shoes, with rubber soles - now have the same style in dark brown also.  Crocs??? are you kidding me - maybe by the pool if you're 12 and under 😉🦄😎

Somewhere buried in the FAQs Princess recommends rubber soled shoes so you actually complied with their recommendation.

• Thanks 1