Posted on Another Site...Ruby Princess Hits Dock in SF

Jaymuxman

4 hours ago, sfpd3000 said:

Three more passengers just got off.

When you say, “Got-off” , do you mean they decided to not take the cruise? I doubt they are issuing refunds.  The water is rough between SF and Alaska. Not worth it for 2 ports. Princess cruises are not port intensive anymore to start with. They could have arranged stop in Astoria, Oregon, if it was available  and they were willing to take a mega ship.. They are already denied Victoria because their ships are too big. I stopped sailing Princess-after 23 cruises due to these things. 

Guest ldtr
4 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

When you say, “Got-off” , do you mean they decided to not take the cruise? I doubt they are issuing refunds.  The water is rough between SF and Alaska. Not worth it for 2 ports. Princess cruises are not port intensive anymore to start with. They could have arranged stop in Astoria, Oregon, if it was available  and they were willing to take a mega ship.. They are already denied Victoria because their ships are too big. I stopped sailing Princess-after 23 cruises due to these things. 

Often in these kinds of situations the cruise line will extend an option of leave and get a full refund or stay and get some kind of compensation. Does not appear as if such an offer has been made publicly but who.knows if someone complained enough what offer they might have personally received.

Edited by ldtr

4 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

The Ruby  is not a large ship and large ships dock all the time in Victoria and Astoria. We docked in the outer harbor in Victoria last month on the Discovery and last year in Astoria on the Majestic. Again the Ruby is not s mega ship with just over 3,000 passengers 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Was on the Royal Princess in April and we docked in both Astoria and Victoria on a Pacific Northwest cruise.  There was nothing to see in Astoria.  The cruise lines are subbing Prince Rupert for Victoria on Alaska cruises in the summer to reduce marine traffic in the area and "save the marine life."  See article below

https://www.cruisehive.com/princess-cruises-replaces-port-of-call-to-safeguard-marine-life/93693

The Royal and Discovery Princess still stop in Victoria, albeit for short weird hours for the Alaska season to satisfy PVSA.

• Like 2

Very fair from a financial standpoint.  But also very disappointing for those passengers who have now used up their vacation time for a far less than expected cruise experience.  And no mention of reimbursement for transportation expenses such as airfare.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Often in these kinds of situations the cruise line will extend an option of leave and get a full refund or stay and get some kind of compensation. Does not appear as if such an offer has been made publicly but who.knows if someone complained enough what offer they might have personally received.

The post #141 discusses the comp being offered. 
https://abc7news.com/ruby-princess-cruise-sf-pier-crash-san-francisco-collision-27/13472802/

31 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Was on the Royal Princess in April and we docked in both Astoria and Victoria on a Pacific Northwest cruise.  There was nothing to see in Astoria.  The cruise lines are subbing Prince Rupert for Victoria on Alaska cruises in the summer to reduce marine traffic in the area and "save the marine life."  See article below

I went to Cannon Beach and Seaside in Astoria. I found it beautiful. 

• Like 3

I’d be very satisfied with the compensation Princess is offering. It seems very fair to me. I’d be happy to be on the ship for 10 days and getting 75% refund and 75% FCC. While onboard I’d be looking at booking a “do over” cruise for next year to Alaska.

Also if you stay on the ship until 7/16 you don’t have to worry about rescheduling flights or extra nights in a hotel. You just go with whatever arrangements you had previously made.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

So basically 150% FCC either way + even if you leave the ship you can stay on until Sunday free. (I love Ketchikan so I know what I'd do but we're all different)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

They accepted what was being offered at the time, which I think was just a full refund.

Edited by sfpd3000
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, caribill said:

So the question remains: Why are they waiting until Sunday to depart?

Unable to make any other scheduled Alaska port if they left today?

I don’t think USCG has given the ok yet.

Edited by sfpd3000
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, TM said:

Heard from whom?  Right now there is nothing but speculation.  It will be a while before the Coast Guard publishes its findings and details what went wrong.

A report on the news.  I also heard from the same report that the pilot was being drug and alcohol tested.

8 minutes ago, suzyed said:

A report on the news.  I also heard from the same report that the pilot was being drug and alcohol tested.

The testing is standard procedure they said, when an accident is involved. Nothing unusual.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sfpd3000 said:

I don’t think USCG has given the ok yet.

Based on the news report with an above link, repairs will take another 24 hours from now.

So being able to depart Sunday is only an estimate which may or may not come to be.

New photos and obvious progress. Some welding appears to have already been done along those smaller gashes. Presumably USCG -- and hopefully Princess on their own -- have decided that Ruby Princess will not be sailing with a giant hole in the hull.

They have a contractor on site and a clear work scope and schedule defined. That much seems obvious. The details of the repair remain unknown. Obviously some fabrication and welding needed to complete the repair. Not a one-day job, for sure.

For those curious, here is the vendor/contractor performing the repair. They have a west coast presence. 

https://oceanwiderepair.com

• Like 1

75% REFUND and 75% FCC if you stay onboard for the revised itinerary?  3 Full days to Explore San Fran and use the ship as a hotel? Not the sights and experiences people signed up for, but that's a very considerate offer and I'd take it in an instance. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

75% REFUND and 75% FCC if you stay onboard for the revised itinerary?  3 Full days to Explore San Fran and use the ship as a hotel? Not the sights and experiences people signed up for, but that's a very considerate offer and I'd take it in an instance. 

Most people are staying on

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

The official letter from Princess.

IMG_0148.jpeg

This is a very fair offer, recognizing that people have planned their vacations well in advance and it is not the cruise they wanted.  

I just returned from Alaska yesterday on a Seattle cruise on Carnival -- and scheduled for Ruby Princess from San Francisco on August 15-25 2023.

Ketchikan is a great port with 12 hours.  This will allow those who are interested to go to Misty Fjords.  Believe it (or not) but when I was there July 4th, I spoke to a local who said he could arrange tours to Misty Fjords.  If any interest, let me know and I'll share the info.  I don't know the price but the one I booked with Princess was $225ish.

Best wishes to those who are going.    

Edited by SonomaMist
  • Like 2