Posted on Another Site...Ruby Princess Hits Dock in SF

Jaymuxman

1 minute ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. Has the Captain been relieved or is he still in command?

That would seem rather premature IMO, unless the Staff Captain observed him impaired on the Bridge - which is HIGHLY unlikely.  I think we should all just relax and it is good the ship is back to sea and wait until the investigation is completed.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It's right there in his post.

Elighten me, because I'm not seeing it.

Given the excellent video provided earlier today showing the details of the allision, and given that the only "hands" on the thruster controls were a Princess Navigation Officer (presumably the Master), assuming the SF Bar Pilot did his/her job of properly advising the Captain, and assuming that there were no ship system failures (which we don't know yet), it appears that we can come to a preliminary conclusion, pending additional information. I am interested in any comments.

7 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Elighten me, because I'm not seeing it.

Given the excellent video provided earlier today showing the details of the allision, and given that the only "hands" on the thruster controls were a Princess Navigation Officer (presumably the Master), assuming the SF Bar Pilot did his/her job of properly advising the Captain, and assuming that there were no ship system failures (which we don't know yet), it appears that we can come to a preliminary conclusion, pending additional information. I am interested in any comments.

El Capitano.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Question….Does anyone know for a fact who was at the controls or is it just speculation or assumption?i Until we hear a formal report isn’t it too early to speculate?

Tom🤔

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

El Capitano.

Okay.

I'm not sure what you or NavArch are trying to say. I guess if we're going to speak in riddles, you/we can say whatever we want...?

The captain crashed the ship. Got it.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 1

Just now, stobe1 said:

Who gives a *****? Why does it matter? Accidents happen. Not sure why there is all this lust for names and a head on a spike. Accidents happen. 

Agreed.  And some pages back there were a number of posts about the fact that the investigation is not about putting a head on a spike (presuming no intoxication), but rather figuring out why it happened and what could be done better to avoid such a thing in future.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Who gives a *****? Why does it matter? Acciddents happen. Not sure why there is all this lust for names and a head on a spike. Accidents happen. 

It's called a conversation.

NavArch is being lauded as an expert in this thread and then goes on to make statements saying that we have enough information to come to a preliminary conclusion (we don't). I'm simply trying to determine what his preliminary conclusion is, since it was not at all clear from his post.

Is that okay with you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

It's called a conversation.

NavArch is being lauded as an expert in this thread and then goes on to make statements saying that we have enough information to come to a preliminary conclusion (we don't). I'm simply trying to determine what his preliminary conclusion is, since it was not at all clear from his post.

Is that okay with you?

Im fine with conversation. Yes that is ok. Its the finger pointing that bothers me. Im not advocating ending conversation. Just the armchair quarterbacking looking for a name 

Im just dumbfounded by all the "experts" that stayed at a Holiday Inn Express with a few cruises under their belts and all of a sudden they think they are maritime nautical experts.  

I'm an airline pilot with over two decades of experience and often have to bite my tongue when passengers think they know more than I  do about decisions that have to be made about a particular flight or weather diversions or other issues that come up. No you are not being lied to...you are being given the best information at the time.  

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

We wish all 2677 passengers a safe and enjoyable voyage. Everything else concerning this incident is up to the USCG and PCL. My personal conclusions are unimportant ... I apologize to any who were offended. Ruby Princess is one of my favorite ships ... perhaps I was more concerned with the ship than anything else.                       (Taken at Grand Turk in 2012)

image.thumb.jpeg.d147d7c59ec806d2bf13b9b1983471ef.jpeg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

We wish all 2677 passengers a safe and enjoyable voyage. Everything else concerning this incident is up to the USCG and PCL. My personal conclusions are unimportant ... I apologize to any who were offended. Ruby Princess is one of my favorite ships ... perhaps I was more concerned with the ship than anything else.                       (Taken at Grand Turk in 2012)

image.thumb.jpeg.d147d7c59ec806d2bf13b9b1983471ef.jpeg

Where’s the Seawitch?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NavArch64 said:

No, we cannot "come to a preliminary conclusion", which I suspect from your comments is that the Captain is "to blame".  However, as I've stated before, if the Captain was following all outlined procedures and policies from the ISM, then he is not to blame, but the ISM needs to be amended to cover the circumstances that were present at the time of the incident.  Without knowing the root cause of the incident, we cannot make any conclusions.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Our friends are onboard, and local as well.  So their happy for 7 days vs. none.

They had been enjoying their time, and gotten off a couple times before ship set sail.

They were actually Hoping lots of folks were getting off, to give them more of a lighter load feel. 

I understand... we all got a little spoiled with many cruises at 50-60% capacity the past few years.

Allision....collision....

My untrained eyes thought the Fwd tug was pushing, when it should have been pulling.

Looked to me like it pushed too far, and BAM.

I didn't see the footage before, of the other docking attempt.

Many times I"ve been up early onboard, to watch docking happen, especially in SF.

I've never experienced a Do-over like that.

Just curious..... WHO tells the Tugs what to do?  And where/how to maneuver?

Is direction coming from the Captain?  Pilot?  Somebody else?

And will the Tugs have any 'splainin to do??

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo
  • Like 2