Please be kind, need some answers for one day in Copenhagen

Hi, I am sailing from Southampton to Copenhagen in late August/early Sept and will have 1 day post cruise in Copenhagen. I have never visited there before. I am staying at the Skt. Petri hotel which seems to be centrally located (from what the hotel website states). I am traveling solo and would love to know how much would be walkable? I know of the famous Tivoli Gardens and I went to to the Visit Denmark website and there shows quite a few other attractions but would love to know from you experts what would be recommended. I know there is that long thread at the top of this forum but it is ALOT to read so thought I would post this to see what ya'll could help me with......

Thanks for your assistance🙂

Yes, the Copenhagen thread requires some time to digest.
Skt. Petri is very centrally located and Copenhagen is very walkable - the center is compact and it is safe to walk around - even in the evening. It takes 15 minutes to walk to Tivoli. Sights close by are Rosenborg Castle, the Queen's residence Amalienborg - guard change at noon. Nyhavn and canal cruise. A good museum is Glyptoteket.

Also good shopping options - Illum, Illums Bolighus, Royal Copenhagen and George Jensen - all located at Amagertorv (pedestrian street - Strøget).

Let me know if you have any special interests.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Yes, the Copenhagen thread requires some time to digest.
Skt. Petri is very centrally located and Copenhagen is very walkable - the center is compact and it is safe to walk around - even in the evening. It takes 15 minutes to walk to Tivoli. Sights close by are Rosenborg Castle, the Queen's residence Amalienborg - guard change at noon. Nyhavn and canal cruise. A good museum is Glyptoteket.

Also good shopping options - Illum, Illums Bolighus, Royal Copenhagen and George Jensen - all located at Amagertorv (pedestrian street - Strøget).

Let me know if you have any special interests.

Thanks so much for the prompt response🙂 Question about currency...are Euros accepted? I will have a credit card and am not sure about your local currency.

I am not really a big shopper but a local market is always interesting to me. 

20 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks so much for the prompt response🙂 Question about currency...are Euros accepted? I will have a credit card and am not sure about your local currency.

Don't use Euros. Don't even really need krones. Just use your credit card. Many threads here on that topic as well.

• Thanks 1

Use credit card.
Best with a contactless card - or ApplePay - accepted by most vendors even at local markets. Magnetic stripe at hotels, taxi and bigger shops.

Euro accepted in the department stores - exchange in Danish Currency. 

3 hours ago, hallasm said:

Euro accepted in the department stores - exchange in Danish Currency.

For clarity, I think that you mean "change (is given) in Danish Currency".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ski ww said:

We like to use the hop on/off bus it gives you a good view of the city & you can get on/off at places you find interesting.

Oh....I like those tours too......thanks for the reminder🙂

On 7/7/2023 at 10:31 AM, Lois R said:

We stayed at the same hotel post cruise on June. It is great with nice big rooms and bathroom for a European  hotel .lovey breakfast and great bar . Try the breakfast gin for a G & T .  There is a great food market about 10 minutes away . Lots of fresh produce , fruits cheese etc. food stalls around the edges .reminded me of Barcelona  food  markets  We ate there , food was fresh and wonderful . Be sure to do a canal boat ride . We just got tickets when we showed up . It last 1 hr and great views of the landmarks from water and going under the bridges was a great. 
Loved Copenhagen , people, food and easy city to walk in. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Thanks 1

Even the street vendors took credit cards.  You should be fine.  We did the free walking tour that starts by the city hall (across the street from Tivoli) which was quite good.  Honestly, with just one day, you won't have enough time to do everything.  Copenhagen is a great city and very pedestrian friendly.

6 hours ago, Azulann said:

We stayed at the same hotel post cruise on June. It is great with nice big rooms and bathroom for a European  hotel .lovey breakfast and great bar . Try the breakfast gin for a G & T .  There is a great food market about 10 minutes away . Lots of fresh produce , fruits cheese etc. food stalls around the edges .reminded me of Barcelona  food  markets  We ate there , food was fresh and wonderful . Be sure to do a canal boat ride . We just got tickets when we showed up . It last 1 hr and great views of the landmarks from water and going under the bridges was a great. 
Loved Copenhagen , people, food and easy city to walk in. 

Glad you liked the hotel🙂it looks really nice on the net. I will keep the canal boat ride in mind🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ljandgb said:

Even the street vendors took credit cards.  You should be fine.  We did the free walking tour that starts by the city hall (across the street from Tivoli) which was quite good.  Honestly, with just one day, you won't have enough time to do everything.  Copenhagen is a great city and very pedestrian friendly.

Hi, I know I won't have time for everything🙂 was just trying to get a feel for what to do for the day.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 2:53 AM, ski ww said:

We like to use the hop on/off bus it gives you a good view of the city & you can get on/off at places you find interesting.

This is what I did too. I was there for 3 days prior to a cruise and bought a 3 day ticket for the Hop On/Off bus and used it as my transportation to see specific things.  It goes in a big circle around the city, and most sites are walking distance from most of the stops. Copenhagen is beautiful, with plenty to do!

The Copenhagen Card was a good deal for us - all buses, rail and canal boats plus entry to most museums.  Got it at a tourist office just north of Tivoli, but there are many around town.  Little Mermaid is a joke!  Fort adjacent to it was fun and palaces were great.

2 hours ago, LeeW said:

The Copenhagen Card was a good deal for us - all buses, rail and canal boats plus entry to most museums.  Got it at a tourist office just north of Tivoli, but there are many around town.  Little Mermaid is a joke!  Fort adjacent to it was fun and palaces were great.

There are now two different versions of the Copenhagen card; one - Copenhagen Card-Discover - includes more attractions and public transportation; the other - Copenhagen Card-Hop - includes fewer attractions all in Copenhagen and HoHo buses. 
https://copenhagencard.com/view/card-info?lang=EN

I was looking at Canal Boat Tours and found several. Anyone have some first hand information/recommendations? Or are they basically all the same?

Oh, someone mentioned The Little Mermaid. That is something I don't care about at all. I am guessing it is part of Tivoli Gardens but I have no interest in the Mermaid.

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I was looking at Canal Boat Tours and found several. Anyone have some first hand information/recommendations? Or are they basically all the same?

Oh, someone mentioned The Little Mermaid. That is something I don't care about at all. I am guessing it is part of Tivoli Gardens but I have no interest in the Mermaid.

The little mermaid is a statue off Langelinie, not really anywhere near Tivoli. I agree that it is not really worth seeing. However, the canal boat tours all stop there. For canal cruises, Rick Steves recommends Netto-Bådene which are about half of the price of the Canal Tours Copenhagen boats. 

Little Mermaid reminds me of when we saw Plymouth Rock.  Houses around here have bigger rocks in their front yards.  If you are 100 feet away from the statue you really can't see it.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Two operators - Netto Bådene (Boats) and Stromma (Copenhagen Canal Tour). Both from Nyhavn - Stromma also from ‘Ved Stranden’ They both offer the exact same 60 minutes tour - passing by the Little Mermaid at Langelinie. 
As mentioned by @gnome12 a price difference - Netto Bådene might not accept credit card (DKK 50/ €8) - you can use Copenhagen Card for both - for Stromma only from ‘Ved Stranden’.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1