Astronomy

WWPierre

I will be spending the first couple of weeks of September crossing from Bermuda to the Mediterranean aboard Queen Elizabeth. I have a bunch of questions: Can I expect clear skies? Is there a dark place on deck for astronomy? Will I be able to point to objects in the sky with my green laser? (briefly) I am assuming days at sea are long sleeve days, true? If one doesn't drink alcohol, is it possible to complete the passage without extra charges? 

13 minutes ago, WWPierre said:

I will be spending the first couple of weeks of September crossing from Bermuda to the Mediterranean aboard Queen Elizabeth. I have a bunch of questions: Can I expect clear skies? Is there a dark place on deck for astronomy? Will I be able to point to objects in the sky with my green laser? (briefly) I am assuming days at sea are long sleeve days, true? If one doesn't drink alcohol, is it possible to complete the passage without extra charges? 

You can expect clear skies when there is no haze, overcast or cloud cover.

if you can exist without liquor, while being provided good meals, evening entertainment, a decent library and the opportunity to interact with other travelers, you should be able to avoid extra charges: it’s up to you.

I very much doubt that it will take two weeks to get from Bermuda to the Mediterranean (should be four or five days) most likely there are a number of port calls in the Med.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Five sea days between Bermuda and Funchal.

Depends not only on clear skies but the amount of lighting on the ship at night.  If the forecast is for clear night…or two, maybe ask at guest services if an officer might lead a star gazing session.  EM

• Like 1

Cunard has not been announcing a full list of planned enrichment speakers - but you may luck out and have a speaker from the Royal Astronomical Society.

No onboard spending is required - for more Cunard specific questions and answers, you probably will want to visit the Cunard section of the forums.

Oh - I forgot to mention, seeing that was your first post, welcome to the Cruise Critic forums!

• Like 2

I recall what the night sky looked like when I was a kid in a rural area.  I would like to see that again.  Seems like there is a lot of light pollution on cruise ships.  But, I've never actually looked or asked about stargazing opportunities.   

So can't help with the stargazing question, but am following this thread.  

To avoid the worst of light pollution from the ship, forward of the Bridge and looking forward is likely to be your best place for a dark sky. (I don't know the layout of QE & that might not be possible, perhaps those who've sailed her or Queen Victoria can advise)

But I'm guessing that your laser is likely to be a no-no, esp forward of the Bridge.

You'll have gratuities (not a small sum) added to your on-board account, You can pay them in advance - paying "gratuities" in advance seems like a strange idea, but in all honesty they're really the bulk of the crew's "wages" and - like other Brits & Aussies - I wish that all ships would build them into the ticket-price. 

Prospects are that there'll be something that you'll want on the ship, even if its just something minor like a toiletry or over-the-counter pills, but certainly it's possible can keep your on-board spend to a pretty trivial figure.

(Decline the offer to change your on-board account to Canadian dollars "for your convenience", leave it in USD and your card issuer will give you a much better exchange rate. Same applies to transactions at the ports - always but always keep it in local currency)

Bermuda to the Med. sounds like the southerly route across the Pond, but in September you'll likely still need a warm jacket for some evening on-deck, it can be very windy.

And something waterproof.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

I am intrigued as to why you would want to point a laser at the stars? Equally, as another suggested, the item may well be listed as prohibited.

Again, the light pollution is going to be your main issue. As an aside I would love to compare my experiences from back in the day to the more modern ships.

Getting forward may help you,  but access may be denied.

If it is reasonably clear and cloudless then you should be able to see the higher altitude stuff.  

12 hours ago, WWPierre said:

Will I be able to point to objects in the sky with my green laser?

I just perused the FAQ's on the Cunard web site and as expected lasers/laser pointers are not authorized to bring on any of their ships.

Fellow stargazer here. Cruises on the big ships always end in disappointment as far as stargazing goes, it's just so bright most of the time. I agree with previous comments regarding the best location being as far forward as you can get. But even then, the amount of light pollution coming off ever a mid-size ship is ridiculous at all times of the night. It may be better than living in a major city, but even in Squamish you'll get better views just a few minutes outside of town than you likely will on a cruise ship. I have always been disappointed. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I am intrigued as to why you would want to point a laser at the stars? Equally, as another suggested, the item may well be listed as prohibited.

Again, the light pollution is going to be your main issue. As an aside I would love to compare my experiences from back in the day to the more modern ships.

Getting forward may help you,  but access may be denied.

If it is reasonably clear and cloudless then you should be able to see the higher altitude stuff.  

Well, I'm a grad of google U on this one.  Haha.   I had the same question. From what I read the green lasers are used to point out different celestial bodies to fellow stargazers. Green because apparently is it easier for the human eye to spot under those circumstances.  

You can no more predict cloud coverage months in advance while at sea, than you can at home. Light pollution from the ship will be a problem from almost all public outdoor areas, unless one of the ships officers offers a stargazing opportunity  (in which case one area will be temporarily  darkened). Lasers are a no no. DH likes to star gaze, but has always been disappointed on cruises, saying his best experiences were from the helo deck of his destroyer, back in the day. Its always windy on deck while under way, and can be cool at night. Bring a windbreaker, or similar.

As for cruising without any charges to your on board account- possible, yes, if you prepay the daily gratuities. And if you only drink water, plus tea or coffee at meals. And if you don't buy anything from the on board shops. And if you don't take a ship excursion that you haven't prepaid. And if you don't use the spa or do any of the on board activities that have a fee. 

9 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I do Astronomy Public Outreach from my observatory in BC. The beam from a green laser is visible and ends at the "target" for anyone standing in the vicinity. It is much more efficient than pointing with a finger in the dark and trying to describe the star pattern around the "target".

Re lasers - this list of forbidden items is from Carnival and I assume that the same rule applies to all cruise lines

"Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), communication scanners, wideband receivers, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers. "

DON

On 7/14/2023 at 2:25 PM, WWPierre said:

do Astronomy Public Outreach from my observatory in BC. The beam from a green laser is visible and ends at the "target" for anyone standing in the vicinity. It is much more efficient than pointing with a finger in the dark and trying to describe the star pattern around the "target".

I just wanted to extend a Welcome to the forum,   I am certainly not the ambassador but I am a student of the game,  you could say,  when it comes to astronomy and cruising.

I spent much of the covid-19 stay-cation years at night by my ringside firepit, which is also a compass so that i could watch the movement of stars and planets from a fixed position.  The movement of the satellites gives some idea of orientation and they are easily seen on a regular schedule too.

Welcome