The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 18th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Global Hug Your Kids Day, National Sour Candy Day, and World Listening Day

If you can make a woman laugh, you can make her do anything.--Marilyn Monroe

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Cajun Shrimp Skewers
Drink of the Day - Laphroaig Blood Mary Queen Scots
Wine of the Day - Arista Pinot Noir Russian River Valley UV-Lucky Well Vineyard 2019
Destination of the Day - Mare Island, Tadine, New Caledonia

Today in History:
1976 Nadia Comăneci (14) becomes the first gymnast in Olympic Games history to score a perfect 10 score (doing so 7 times) at Montreal Games

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1600

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Honningsvag, Norway eta 19 Jul

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0830-1830

Oosterdam

Mykanos, Greece

Rotterdam

Alesund, Norway 0800-1700

Volendam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 19 Jul

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 1300-2100

Zaandam

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island 0900-1700

Zuiderdam

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island 0800-1700

0718World.thumb.png.2f81d6a18be9cc9d8f9765f7cfd4c922.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 14

Today’s Care list:

The passing of Luvteaching’s friend on 7/12

The passing of Ger_77’s friend on 7/16

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, with complications

Catmando visiting his DM Norma, and family situation

1Angelcat’s friend B with medical issues

Summer slope with a health issue

Ill Dailyite pets - Kazu’s Ivan, Heartgrove’s Sam, Crazy For Cats’ Jasper

5 deaths in Bucks County flash flooding; 2 children missing

Death of a young firefighter working the Revelstoke BC fire

All affected by wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again and again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering from surgery

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

Tana’s pulmonary issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Baby Murphy off ECMO

Cruzin Terri’s new special necklace

Seasick Sailor’s new fur baby Oliver 

Kazu’s Ivan showing some improvement

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Regatta July 21 to Aug 1)

4 days for Crazy For Cats (Zaandam July 22 to July 29)

4 days for Dfish (Zaandam July 22 to 29, July 29 to August 23) celebrating her Sister’s retirement and Dfish’s birthday

4 days for NextOne (Zuiderdam July 22 to August 25)

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A nice summer day here, sunny and a high of 25C  (77F).  No plans.

Every day should be hug your kids day.  I'm not a fan of sour candy.  We should all do more listening.

I don't agree with the quote.

The meal sounds great.  I'll pass on the drink.  I think I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations, no matter how small.

Have a great day.

• Like 27

Good morning friends!  Thanks to Rich @richwmn for posting this muggy Tuesday.  Hope you had a great weekend!  The windows are all condensated so it is quite humid out there.  Temp is 68, and it will be sunny and 93 later today.  We also have an air quality alert due to smoke from Canada, way down here in the South.

Global Hug Your Kids Day sounds like a great idea, if only my arms were long enough to reach them!  Sour candy is fine, but I prefer chocolate.  World listening day sounds like there's a lesson in there for all of us.  I don't think I approve of the Marilyn Monroe notion.  The shrimp skewers sound good but I worry about too spicy when you bring in Cajun.  No thanks to the drink or wine today.  What a fun time that was back in 1976 when the Olympics was outstanding.  So many great athletes that year.🥇  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their food and beverage reports.🤗

Prayers said earlier this morning for our Care list, as well as DB and Mark, my friend's DB.  Hoping the children lost in the floor in Pennsylvania this past weekend are found.  My heart goes out to the family.🙏  Excitement and cheers for those on the Celebration list and to those cruising or on their way to a ship.  My dear neighbors board Volendam tomorrow in Vancouver and I'm thrilled for them because I know they're looking forward to it.🚢  Bon Voyage to them!  Big thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping the lists for us all.🤗

Yesterday I purchased flights to Dallas around the third week of September because DH and I are going to stay with Ren while the parents take their eldest to UCLA for move in day.  Hoping the major heat is over with by then so we can enjoy a nice week in Dallas.

The port of the day is Tadine, Mare Island, New Caledonia which was listed here back on June 22, 2021 and Sept. 10, 2022.  I haven't been to Tadine before so no photos from me.  Here are links to the prior postings of Tadine.

That's it for me today.  Have a safe and happy day!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.

It is raining and a cool 62°F today.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

I prefer sweet candy rather than Sour candy.

Today's quote is very Marilyn Monroe.

Grilled Cajun Shrimp on skewers sound nice.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on our care list.

I hope everyone is safe and well and looking forward to having a great day.

Screenshot_20230718_115518.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  I celebrate hugging your kids and world listening, heaven knows we need more of that, but I’ll skip the sour candy.  I’m guessing that not all women (or any) will agree with today’s quote.  The meal suggestion sounds good and I’d at least taste the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Praying for all on the list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 28

Greetings from Tallinn, Estonia.

We started off with a sunny day and then had rain.  Then sun and now there is a big dark cloud over the ship.

DH was tired and did not want to go out so I took the HOHO bus myself.  I have been on better.  My original decision was to walk around the Old Town but it was raining quite hard.

One hour was plenty given the traffic in the city.

Rich, welcome back and thank you for the Fleet Report and Daily.

As for the days, I don’t have kids to hug, I like sour candy and I like to listen.  That is the way you learn.

Interesting quote by Marilyn Monroe.

I will have to pass on the meal and drinks as I can only get so much and no more on the ship.

I have not been to the port.

Thank you to Vanessa for the Cares Report.  Nice to see that Baby Murphy is off the ECMO machine.  That is making progress.

Thank you in advance to Debbie, Dixie and Ann for their contributions.

I don’t have any pictures to share for today.  Hard to do from the HOHO bus.

Tonight we are in Toscana restaurant again.  I like it best.  The French restaurant just doesn’t cut for me, I don’t like red me so the steak house is difficult.  Red Ginger, the Asian Restaurant is a bit too spicy.  Guess I am a fussy eater.

We had a tiring day in Helsinki yesterday.  We hooked up with a private tour at the last minute.  When you don’t have time to plan, you get what you get.  It was just too much walking and DH just got too tired.  He just did not want to go out today. I specifically asked if it was a walking tour and was told it was not.  Guess what?  While we drove from one place to the other, the majority of the time we walked.  Neither of us were happy campers.  it was expensive too.

Tomorrow we are in Riga, Latvia.  We don’t arrive until 10 am so it is a later start and we are there until 7 pm.  Maybe we can have a better day and maybe, just maybe the sun will shine for a change.

We’ll see.

Prayers for all who need them.  Cheers for those who are celebrating.  @Crazy For Cats Happy Belated Anniversary.  Just could not post any more last night.  Hope you and your SO had a wonderful day.

Happy planning to all of you who are getting ready to cruise.

We disembark on Sunday, July 23 and will spend 3 days in Copenhagen before we fly home.

i am more than ready.  It has been a long tiring trip.

Stay safe everyone and

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie Dixie, and Ann.  Nadia was just SO Awesome.  No kids to hug and I'll pass on the sour candy but we need a lot more listening in this world.  I don't agree with Marilyn and have not been to Tadine.  I'll pass on the shrimp.  My alternative is Chilled Mixed Berry Soup and Grilled French Pork Chop as served on MS Rotterdam VI July 18, 2011.

Air is just at the edge of Moderate, headed for code Orange for the worst of the day.

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Hot and muggy today. The smoke is back. This is the part of the summer that I dislike. 

Might be adopting a dog. I do miss my Abby who went over the Rainbow Bridge last year. I think it is time to help another dog. 

I will be at the office today and then maybe to the gym. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Image result for cat meme fo tuesday

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily reports @richwmn.  I would hug my cat kids is they were still with me.  No other kids.  I used to use Sour Patch Kids gummy candies to stay awake in boring meetings.  If I felt I was going to nod off that burst of sour was a help.  Thanks for the reason behind listening day @grapau27. Another one I would have missed the meaning.   I try to listen to nature around me while working in my garden.  We are so far away from civilization the only night unnatural sound is the propane refrigerator.  One has to get used to hearing one's heartbeat.  The birds and bees sound wonderful. MM quote is stupid.  Shrimp skewers sound wonderful, will take my Laphroaig neat but the Pinot noir should be great.  Never have been to today's port. 

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports @JazzyV.  Prayers for everyone on the care list and the people of Ukraine. 

We have decent weather today, just into the 50s.  Hard to believe when so many are suffering in the heat.    Have a lovely day.  Nancy 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Laphroaig Blood Mary Queen Scots cocktail:

Ingredients
2 1/2 parts Bloody Mary Mix
1/2 part Clamato Juice
1 part Laphroaig® 10 Year Old Whisky
1 large pinch Wasabi
1 bar spoon Soy Sauce
2 grinds Pepper, Black

Instructions
Muddle the soy sauce and wasabi together. Add ingredients to pitcher of ice while stirring. After all ingredients are nicely integrated, strain into a pint glass. Garnish with cracked pepper.

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 7.41.25 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 15

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 24

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! Rich, I hope you are enjoyed your time off.   The Saharan dust created a very colorful sunrise this morning - after a horrific T-storm last night. One lightning flash was so close the thunder’s boom was loud enough to make my neighbor check to see if I was ok and many of us went out after it passed to see if anything close by was hit. 

Vanessa thank you for keeping our cares & celebrations lists for us! It is quite the task.  Bindi walks, mat class, chores and 🤞🏻 pool time will keep me busy. I need to get to the store and pick up some birthday cards that are coming up. 

Prayers for all who need our support.

Thinking of you @summer slope.

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Arista Pinot Noir Russian River Valley UV-Lucky Well Vineyard 2019

This very informative fact sheet from the vintner is the closest I will get to this Pinot Noir. It sounds lovely, but it is way outside of my budget. Available from a decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $84.99.

Winemakers notes
Vineyard Profile

• The Lucky Well vineyard sits atop a knoll on the western edge of the Sebastopol hills outside of the towns of Graton and Sebastopol. The area is home to some of the most highly acclaimed Pinot Noir and Chardonnay vineyards in the Russian River Valley due in large part to the perfect confluence of soil, climate, and elevation. The vineyard is in an area often referred to as the “banana belt” of the Russian River Valley because, though on the very coolest, foggiest, and western edge of the appellation, it sits on a knoll that rises above the fog line. This feature exposes the fruit to more gentle sunlight, which allows very slow and even ripening across the entire growing season. Our 4-acre section was planted in 2008 to Pommard, Swan, and Calera clones of Pinot Noir.
  • Clones: Heritage Selections of Calera and Swan 
    • Soil: Goldridge 
    • Vinification 
      • Cold grapes arrive at the winery early in the morning after having been picked at night. The clusters are sorted by hand and the majority are destemmed into small, open-top fermenters. In the 2019 vintage, 10-20% whole cluster is used during fermentation. The juice is allowed to warm gradually and naturally in the fermenter. Given that all of the wines are made with native yeasts and are not inoculated, this cold-soak period can vary between 5-8 days depending on how long it takes these native populations to build up and begin fermentation. Pinot Noir fermentations are kept below 85 degrees. The wines always go through malolactic fermentation. The wines then spend the next 11 months in barrel, and the wine is racked clean just prior to bottling.

• Aging: 11 months in barrel 
      • Filtration: Unfiltered 
      • Fining: Unfined 
      • Lucky Well Vineyard is perched at the very top of Stoetz Ridge, the land mass that divides the true Sonoma Coast from the Russian River Valley. As such, the wine made from this site always expresses qualities from both regions: the high-toned wild berry fruit and earthiness of the Coast, and the power, richness, and complexity of the Russian River Valley. This 2019 edition may be the most seamlessly balanced Lucky Well in our history with the vineyard, with perfect acidity and just the right tannin profile to carry the ultra-precise, medium weight finish. Sapid blue and red fruits mingle with black plum and cola on the palate. Aromas of dried roses and lavender speak to the elegant nature of the vintage. Tightly wound at the moment, the 2019 Lucky Well Vineyard Pinot Noir should age gracefully for a decade or more.
      • 93 Wine Spectator
      • 94 James Suckling
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 11

Good morning,

It will be a cooler day today with high only 83. It is a much needed break. We have had much needed rain the past few days so things are a little more green. 

DGS has indoor soccer tonight which is much more fun to watch at his age. There are things for DGD to do there so she has fun too. 

No new update on Murphy. I will share when I know anything. Thanks for all the prayers and words of encouragement. 

Prayers for those on our lists and in our hearts. Have a great day. 

• Like 32

Good Morning from a bright and sunny day at the beach for now

Have not posted in a few days but have read daily. 

I have had a lot of company, some unexpected the last few weeks. So it has been very busy. The last left last nite. So today is clean up and relax day.

Have not been to todays port but we were in New Caldonia on our trip last fall.

Interesting that the man who drove our train was from Daytona Beach! That was a fun excursion.

Ann @cat shepard  I can relate to those storms the last several days. They have been horrendous! Luckily no damage.

Have a wonderful day    Stay safe

• Like 29

Good Morning to All!  Thanks for the information and everyone' contributions.  I will celebrate the days but not the quote.  The food sounds interesting but no so much the drink.  I am not a fan of Clamato.  The wine is too expensive and I have never been to the port.

Loved watching Nadia hit her 10s during the '76 Olympics.  I always watch them but usually just the Summer ones.  I was supposed to go to the '72 one in Munich.  Was taking German so I could speak when I went and my 2 friends (who did go) and I were dividing up the stuff we would take.  But alas, my parents moved me to the end of the earth (AZ)!  They would not let me stay with my coach in CA but did try to keep up with my training.  They would pick me up at the school bus stop and we would drive down to Tucson so that I could train at a pool on the east side.  We would get home around 11pm every night.  They finally said they couldn't do it anymore as gas was too high!  I think it hit around $0.50/gal.  Dashed my dreams and I was bitter for years.  One of my friends became an ABC commentator with Mark Spitz and I saw the other one once on Jeopardy.  BUT I would have never become a nurse and that took me around the world.  So I guess the moral of the story is:  you never know what the curves in life will take you!!

FINALLY got some good monsoon yesterday afternoon.  We were under a severe storm, heat, dust and flood warnings in the evening.  The temps dropped 40 degrees in about 15 minutes.  It was soooo nice.  Hopefully it will repeat today.

Off to the gym today.  I am signed up for another research project; not necessarily profitable but may help with my health!

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 29

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!

I love Cajun Shrimp, nice and spicy, will try that on skewers, if we ever get a grill.  We have one., and even though we have kept it in the carport when not in use,  the bottom has totally rusted away...I miss a good grilled steak or burger.  

DH is still debating about coming home this week.  Nothing really has been resolved about Mom or the brat. I suggested that since the other brother asked them to be there, that he should stay while home care people are being interviewed, and he knows the plan for Mom in case of a change in her health.

Once any treatment starts for his cancer,  he wont be able to leave, and we will be gone most of October and November.  And without working during that time period, there wont be extra money to fly back until January..

I saw in the googly news that earth will be hit today by a massive electromagnetic solar flare today. I wonder if that will affect phones?  Magnets?  The pins and screws in my elbow?

Yesterdays haze is being caused by the Canadian Wildfires.  Well if the winds are blowing this way, perhaps the smoke can bring some cooler air.  I would love some rain.

see-the-unique-funny-cat-tuesday-pictures-of-funny-cat-tuesday-pictures.jpg

• Like 25

Good morning. Stayed up late and got through five sets of the new Jack Ryan series. Hence, I slept in to 6:45. Need to get some chores done before tomorrow’s visitor’s arrive. Need to apply dry rub to baby back ribs as they want Pop Pops “famous ribs” tomorrow night. I elected cooking them on gas grill versus the charcoal which is easier especially with pop up showers these days. I can tell the difference but I don’t think a seven and three year old can. Their Mother yes. Plus cooking on a grill for four to five hours in 90 degree plus heat is something to be aware of. 

Monroe’s quote is a bad one. No person should have that type of control over another human being.

Rich thanks for the Fleet Report and to all your editorialists who make the Daily special.

Have a great day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.b127abd4df8cb17385cf8f6c1f6d89ec.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5070cb235d3d37ee25bc9bc0a598bbe5.jpegimage.jpeg.a1b12346fe01c30e6b71eb3dc40a2bee.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3cfaa15182abe2aa576e0124932c84c6.jpegimage.jpeg.105e2259431dfa86ae98e2e35c97dd63.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3c7bc512ddbf132264da82eaefc3295f.jpegimage.jpeg.7712090386a521279c5175df00e4994f.jpegimage.jpeg.438b8adb966eb4b517ed5c3dcc0e3add.jpegimage.jpeg.5fee11d65ec47f816edef1613ea5248c.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 15
  • Haha 19

Good sunny and humid morning. We have another air quality advisory for today for orange.

Possible rain tonight.

The search continues for Conrad and Mattie, prayers that they are recovered 🙏

In an update from the flooding last week, the school that was damaged was deemed unusable for the coming year. The district is looking for alternatives.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from a clear and already warm central Texas.  At 7 am is is already 80F and feels like 84F, so I'll get my walk in as soon as I finish here.  At lease the humidity is down some, only 69% with a dew point of 69F.  

This morning will be busy since it's laundry day.   There will be a quick grocery run after my walk.  Then a little later, I'll head out again to get a much needed hair cut.  After that, I'll be staying inside until later this evening when we take our golf cart ride.  We are under an excessive heat warning and our predicted high is 107F.  I don't even want to think what the heat index will be then.  After today, while we'll still be in the triple digits, it will be a few degrees cooler.

Welcome back, Rich, @richwmn.  I hope you enjoyed your time off.  Sandi, @StLouisCruisers thank you for filling in for Rich.

I would love to hug my kids today, and I got to hug older DD and DSIL about ten days ago.  I'll skip sour candy day and stick to my chocolate, but DH might like some sour candy.  I'll listen to the birds while I take my walk.

The quote is another one that is typical of MM whole was a complicated woman who lived a sad and lonely life.

We'll skip the grilled shrimp since we had a version of the meal a couple of days ago.  I'll also skip the drink, but DH might like to try it on a BHB.  The wine sounds nice and obtainable if it wasn't a bit pricey.

We have not been to Mare Island, Tadine, New Caledonia or any place else in New Caledonia.

I remember watching Nadia make history in the 1976 Olympic Games.

Sandi, @StLouisCruisers that late in September it will still be warm in Dallas, but the highs won't be what the are now.  It will probably be in the high 80s to mid 90s.  Also, the State Fair of Texas will be opening about that time.  It's always an interesting day, and some Thursdays are senior day.

Graham, @grapau27 thanks for the explanation of Listening Day.

Terri, @Cruzin Terri  we've also done the Ho-Ho in Tallinn to get an idea of the area outside of the old town.  I just wish it could make it through the streets in the old town.

Lorraine, @cruising sister  I look at no news is good news as far as Murphy is concerned.

Penny, @Nickelpenny  I'm very glad the monsoons have arrived.  It looks like Texas might be getting some of the Sahara dust.

Annie, @marshhawk I wouldn't blame Chuck for thinking it's time to come home.  It sounds like things are a mess.  I was hoping the brothers could work together for a resolution to the problems.

Late yesterday afternoon, we finally got a reply to DH's message to UTSW last Friday.  It was not from the NP but from a nurse who said they would take to the NP and call us with a plan.  So it's still a waiting game.

344429623_620561276321941_6342156279036404580_n.jpg.56ba475f9d9e5bd0042f972bb2f7fd99.jpg

347411132_759442772855360_8536594404069051898_n.jpg.a526ee026bc7639341ff0a617e72944d.jpg

348638883_1751050138662091_6958103674473671139_n.jpg.c7776d0883f200f83b38b53b896e062b.jpg

350102263_281525414305918_7396306401224693584_n.thumb.jpg.10972cfacd669e504616d4e54e4e181d.jpg

349289760_859678182157765_5191745973663470698_n.jpg.5e8d0f17e2c13a6c7085dcea2de0ee0b.jpg

349086150_265419179380333_4891788134701668066_n.thumb.jpg.d361cb801a4036c6b68463ea91a1f226.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Haha 22

19 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Morning to All!  Thanks for the information and everyone' contributions.  I will celebrate the days but not the quote.  The food sounds interesting but no so much the drink.  I am not a fan of Clamato.  The wine is too expensive and I have never been to the port.

Loved watching Nadia hit her 10s during the '76 Olympics.  I always watch them but usually just the Summer ones.  I was supposed to go to the '72 one in Munich.  Was taking German so I could speak when I went and my 2 friends (who did go) and I were dividing up the stuff we would take.  But alas, my parents moved me to the end of the earth (AZ)!  They would not let me stay with my coach in CA but did try to keep up with my training.  They would pick me up at the school bus stop and we would drive down to Tucson so that I could train at a pool on the east side.  We would get home around 11pm every night.  They finally said they couldn't do it anymore as gas was too high!  I think it hit around $0.50/gal.  Dashed my dreams and I was bitter for years.  One of my friends became an ABC commentator with Mark Spitz and I saw the other one once on Jeopardy.  BUT I would have never become a nurse and that took me around the world.  So I guess the moral of the story is:  you never know what the curves in life will take you!!

FINALLY got some good monsoon yesterday afternoon.  We were under a severe storm, heat, dust and flood warnings in the evening.  The temps dropped 40 degrees in about 15 minutes.  It was soooo nice.  Hopefully it will repeat today.

Off to the gym today.  I am signed up for another research project; not necessarily profitable but may help with my health!

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

What event did you swim?

• Like 10