Evening Attire On Formal Evening(s)

Keith1010

Evening Attire On Formal Evening(s)

Several people have asked about the formal evening attire, so I reached out to Crystal to get additional information and answers to questions which have been posted or people have asked me directly.  Yesterday, I received clarification on this from Crystal.  As part of the Q&A section on the Crystal Website they say that on voyages great than 7 days there will be at least one optional ship-wide formal night.  They go on and list suggestions for Formal Evening Look. I will copy and paste this at the end of this post.  Based on my talk, I look at what they list as choices one can make with respect to formal evening attire.  For those not wishing to wear formal attire, my understanding is that you would be guided to dine at a venue such as Tastes. Now, for those of you on the first sailing please do not panic if you are not bringing formal attire, there will be a lot of flexibility.  

I am sharing this information not to start a debate over formal attire versus casual attire but rather to share with you what they envision it to be.  If one wears a sports jacket versus a suit, I suspect that the world will not come to an end. Again, what they are trying to do on the longer cruises is have one or more night that distinguishes itself from the other nights. 

Although the capability is not there yet they do want to add to “My Account” details on which night(s) are Formal so you are more informed of how many nights will be formal and on what nights to help you with your planning.  I know the intent is to also provide additional information about this ahead of each cruise, but I would say to give this sometime as they continue to work on all of this.  For those on the first voyage of Serenity my understanding is to expect two formal nights.  Again, please do not panic if you have shipped luggage or didn’t fully understand this. I also believe those of us on the sailing will be able to share additional details as will Crystal as guests prepare for the next set of voyages. 

I know when attire is mentioned that it can spiral into debates including no one can tell me what to do, they won’t enforce this, etc. etc, etc., I am hoping this debate can be avoided. My only intent here is to share with each of you what I learned. It might not answer each question, but I am hoping it will answer some.  The following is from the Crystal website, and I do recognize the word option but the definition they have in mind is a bit different than black tie optional as past.  

I also expect like most things, Crystal will look at the first several sailings on each ship and determine if any adjustments are warranted and that includes the writeup.

I hope this helps in your planning.

Bags packed (inclduing formal attire). Ready to go. Can't wait.

Cheers,

Keith

Evening Resort

A step up from Day Casual, after 18:00, we ask that guests adopt the more refined Evening Resort dress code. 

Suggestions for an Evening Resort look: 

Women 

Dress 

Skirts

Pants 

Blouses or sweaters 

Dark-wash jeans with no rips 

Tailored dress shorts 

Men 

Shirts 

Collared polo shirt 

Sweaters or smart designer sweatshirts

Dark-wash jeans with no rips (only when accompanied with a jacket) 

Chinos 

Sports jacket or blazer (optional)

Tailored shorts (these may only be worn in the Tastes restaurant)

NOTE: Please avoid flip-flops/sliders, swimwear, and hats. 

Formal Evening

On sailings over seven days, there will be at least one optional ship-wide formal night (depending on the length of the segment), which will require more formal cocktail chic attire. These special events will be defined in your personal pre-sailing guide. 

Suggestions for a Formal Evening look: 

Women 

Cocktail dresses or gowns 

Suits Evening skirts or pants with an elegant top 

Evening shoes 

Men

Suits or tuxedos 

Shirts 

Dress shoes 

Ties (optional)

• Like 1

Previously there was a post that said the first three segments on the Symphony would have no formal nights. I note the 3rd segment, Venice to Rome is 8 days. As per the above it would have a formal night. 

Which is correct?

There are definitely inconsistencies in what you’ve listed and interpreted as the requirements - I think your suggestion people who don’t wish to participate in the “Optional Formal evening” will be “banished” or “guided” in your post (not sure by who) to Tastes (not sure what the other options are you are suggesting might be) is a big leap and inconsistent with the dress code as published so far - given formal is optional and they can continue to wear the Evening Resort standard of dress if they wish according to the published dress code

It looks like the key word is “Optional”

I hope people don’t start trying to tell others how to dress outside the dress code from Crystal or start “judging” others on how they choose to dress 

I suspect it will be as it was with old Crystal when formal wear was indeed option and people had a choice 

I wish Crystal would publish actually things like this directly rather than communicate then anonymously through a guest - how will the majority of guests who don’t participate in this group know what the requirements are?

26 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Previously there was a post that said the first three segments on the Symphony would have no formal nights. I note the 3rd segment, Venice to Rome is 8 days. As per the above it would have a formal night. 

Which is correct?

27 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Which is correct?

The first three voyages of Symphony consist of 7, 7 and 8 nights. So there would not be a formal night on the first two voyages but there would be on the third one. They note on the website that for voyages over 7 night there would be one formal night. How many beyond that will be determined by the length of the voyage.  Now, I want to provide on caveat and that is will they be doing a special night for the Symphony inaugural voyage? I would have asked that if I thought about it yesterday and if there is a formal night I will recommend that they ensure this is communicated. The good news is there is time for them to do just that.

Keith 

Keith, 

Thanks so much for posting these guidelines as well as your comments. As you pointed out,  these are only “guidelines” and you are very correct to suggest there is no need to panic if bags are already packed or shipped and definitely no need to start a debate about proper attire. Knowing what you have learned from Crystal and shared here, we look forward to at least one if not two Optional Formal evenings on our 11 night cruise on Serenity in November. Knowing, of course, there will likely be others who will choose not to go Formal and perhaps they will dine in more casual venues. Choice is, indeed, a good thing. We hope our choice to dress more formally will be respected by others as we respect their choice to follow the Evening Resort suggestions.

We are just so excited Crystal will soon be a reality again! Thanks for your help and smooth sailing!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TER777 said:

This is what I was referring to: 

See post #1. 

I just reread the e-mail from Crystal and they referred to all three voyages as short voyages (no formal nights). I have written back to them because the third voyage is listed as 8 nights and pointed out that their writeup says a formal night on voyages greater than seven days. I have asked that they run this down to verify whether or not there will be a formal night. When I hear back, I will let you know. You can also write to on board guest services.

Keith 

53 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

There are definitely inconsistencies in what you’ve listed and interpreted as the requirements - I think your suggestion people who don’t wish to participate in the “Optional Formal evening” will be “banished” or “guided” in your post (not sure by who) to Tastes (not sure what the other options are you are suggesting might be) is a big leap and inconsistent with the dress code as published so far - given formal is optional and they can continue to wear the Evening Resort standard of dress if they wish according to the published dress code

It looks like the key word is “Optional”

I hope people don’t start trying to tell others how to dress outside the dress code from Crystal or start “judging” others on how they choose to dress 

I suspect it will be as it was with old Crystal when formal wear was indeed option and people had a choice 

I wish Crystal would publish actually things like this directly rather than communicate then anonymously through a guest - how will the majority of guests who don’t participate in this group know what the requirements are?

It is not surprising there are inconsistencies because if there was not I would not have to post as it would have been Crystal clear from their writeup. And I am not interpreting anything. I had a lengthily conversation yesterday and I asked many questions, reviewed what I was told to be sure that what I heard is what they said to make sure that what I shared is what they said. So no misinterpretation on my part.

In addition:

Because people have asked about this issue numerous times and because I read through the A&A 10 or more times and found it to be confusing, I reached out to Crystal to find out how it works and yesterday had a lengthily conversation with the person who knows for sure how it works.

I brought up the wording such as the use of optional and asked if it is optional than what is the optional attire because that is not listed.

I also brought up how black-tie optional night used to work and how the use of the word optional is confusing. 

As I said no one on the first sailing’s will be turned away from venues but I am sharing what they have in mind which is that depending on the length of the cruise when there is one or more formal nighs on cruises greater than seven days their intent was and that for those who choose to dine more casually they will offer the option of dining at Tastes.

I do hope they will reword some of this and share it not only on the website but also in pre-cruise communications and I suspect that will be the case. 

In the meantime, since so many people reached out to me to ask in addition to the many questions, I’ve seen on CC I reached out to Crystal, had a lengthily call with them and am sharing it with those on this board.

I hope many of you will find it helpful.  And yes, in the perfect world, I would not have to ask as the writeup would be Crystal clear and if it as not Crystal would update it and communicate it.  After we went through all of this and I ensured that I understood all of this we agreed I would share it. This is what I have done.

Cheers,

Keith 

• Like 1

If what you appear to be suggesting ie that there will be Formal Optional nights on voyages longer than 7 nights that are Compulsory Formal that require a suit or tuxedo (tie optional) for male guests I think it is a poor decision by new Crystal and counter to what other luxury lines are now moving to

I’m not so sure that that is the case though and will wait til I see something from Crystal

I certainly would not be happy having to eat in Tastes only on Formal Optional night should I choose not to wear a lounge suit or tuxedo and adhere to Evening Resort casual dress code

I have been hoping for change from new Crystal - but certainly not this sort of change!

As I mentioned in my original post  " I also expect like most things, Crystal will look at the first several sailings on each ship and determine if any adjustments are warranted and that includes the writeup.

So let's see what happens.

We will know soon enough.

As to change, not everyone is going to like every change whatever that will be.  

And as to clarity this was not the first Q&A which would benefit from some additional clarity. I remember reminded about the one on smoking which  History and Wine mentioned shortly after the Q&A's came out and I believe additional clarity would be great.

So it goes.

Keith 

I thought I would share my experience with going back-and-forth with Crystal about the formal evening attire. This happened with multiple emails going back-and-forth with my travel agent and Crystal management.

I specifically asked if a Sports Jacket, dress shirt and dress pants would be acceptable for Formal Evening attire? I was told no! 

On OC this would have been acceptable. 

The “optional” reference in the description has to do with whether you want to participate or not? If you choose not to participate by dressing accordingly to the formal evening dress code as stated in the frequently asked questions section, you do not get to participate in going anywhere on the ship other than tastes for dinner and can not expect to be able to participate in any other activities on the rest of the ship for that evening. 

I certainly hope that once the cruises start cruising the onboard experience of people on the ships will let us know on cruise critic, as to how strict they are indeed with this NC Formal Evening dress code.

Again this was direct from Crystal management along with my TA being involved. 

Not a happy camper as I’m planning on being on the ship for multiple months and it makes a huge difference in the way I have to pack. 

Not trying to stir the pot just trying to very clearly understand the Formal Evening attire requirements. I’m just the messenger here and I certainly hope N/C lightens up on the formal evening attire requirements to the way OC was.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thank you seasack.

My purpose was not to give an opinion on any of this. My purpose was only to share with everyone what they meant. I would not have used the word optional to describe this. As mentioned, I read the over many times. First time I read it I thought to myself the option is resort casual. But then each time I read it when people asked I began to realize that's might not be what they mean and this was confirmed yesterday on my call. You  have confirmed the same thing.  

As I mentioned in my first post my sense is that this like many things will be evaluated to sort it all out and they will be flexible on the first set of voyages.

But whether one agrees or not, I am glad you confirmed what I was told.

As I said no one should be alarmed if they have not packed with this in mind.

What I wanted to avoid though is people who interpreted it one way and actually felt bad once on board that this was not the intent and if only they knew they might have brought different clothes.

Trying to help here so because many people have asked about this and I am only the messenger.

As to a comment about dressing up on any night I don't believe I've ever cruised on a line or on land where that is a problem.  Around the pool though you won't see me in a suit, or tuxedo for sure anywhere.  😀

Keith

• Like 1

On ss now

no dress code enforcement on this cruise. On previous 2 yes. 

crystal never enforced it either. I recall cut off jean shorts in waterside for dinner. Here with couple with 30 crystal cruises. They agree

i wouldn’t worry

It doesn't surprise us that the new Crystal is describing a different dress code than seasoned Crystal cruisers experienced on OC.  As I have said before, we think NC will have a stronger European style, and that approach to evening dress is generally more elegant.

Edited by crickette
  • Like 3

I think Crystal will have issues with this "more formal" dress code than they used to have the last few years.  Sports jackets, no ties, was acceptable and probably more common for men.   I'm not even sure I own a fitting suit anymore since where does anyone wear a suit anymore (wedding maybe). I"m not sure I'll buy a suit just to wear a couple of nights on a cruise.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, crickette said:

It doesn't surprise us that the new Crystal is describing a different dress code than seasoned Crystal cruisers experienced on OC.  As I have said before, we think NC will have a stronger European style, and that approach to evening dress is generally more elegant.

Plus 4

There is something wrong if I have to wear an undershirt, shirt, tie,coat and perhaps a cummerbund and I'm looking across the table at a woman wearing a bare shoulders spaghetti strap dress.

Wearing all those clothes is hot and sweaty...not an attractive or comfortable look. 

• Like 3

Thanks to Keith and Seasack for clarifying Crystal Cruises dress code.   At least now I have a better understanding of what Crystal actually meant to say when they talked about the formal dress code being optional.

As I previously stated in another thread, I don't own a suit.  I have always worn a sport jacket, dress shirt, dress pants and dress shoes on formal nights on old Crystal since I first sailed on them in 2017.  I plan on wearing the same on my next Crystal cruise and it sounds like I won't be the only one wearing a sport coat.  If they really want to enforce this rule against sport coats, they better be prepared for a lot of complaints.

10 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

and that includes Tastes unless you are talking about daytime and having lunch at Tastes.

That’s not what the dress code you posted in your initial post says 

IMG_0497.thumb.jpeg.ba7db7611d883472b694a7b343ef0bba.jpeg

Edited by Stickman1990

5 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Don't forget the tie to create the effect

Don't get me wrong,  I have no problem dressing for the occasion, or wearing the tux, when there are multiple formal nights, but our upcoming cruise will apparently have one, so a jacket, and if The Boss decrees, a tie, will suffice. After all these years I very much doubt Leo, the Maitre D', will direct us to Tastes.

• Like 2