The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 25th, 2023

richwmn

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Katherine, I hope the PT three times a week helps your DH.  The past couple of years, I've weeded a lot of clothes out of the closet that no longer fit, but I kept some of the better ones.  I'm glad I did, since I can now get into some of them again.  Of  course this is at the time cruise lines are going more casual.

Annie, I hope the PT today helps, and that the eye doctor will be able to give your DH something to clear up the eye infection quickly.  Enjoy the concert.  I hope the concert is a distraction, and that the MRI results and the doctors' visits are not troubling.

Terry, I hope the two ladies will continue to clean your house, so you can take care of yourself and others.

Tina, thanks for filling in the blank spot in my memory.

Thank you, Graham.  I hope you and Pauline can visit Singapore some day.  It is a lovely, and very clean city.

Carolyn, I'm glad you got some rain.  That is strange about your doctor only doing virtual visits for a few months.

I can definitely celebrate hot fudge sundae day.

Debbie, being stopped by security mush have been a little unsettling until you found out why.  Glad it wasn't anything serious, but I bet some eyebrows were raised by some passengers.  Loved the pictures of the gardens.

Jake, I'm glad you had good weather today in Halifax.  I enjoyed the pictures, too.

Speaking of pictures, I found some of Singapore in 2003 which were taken as we sailed by the city after the stop there was canceled due to SARS.  They are not the best since we were a long way off shore.

IMG_2648.thumb.JPG.2ed88803a9608322db1cc498839b3898.JPG

IMG_2653.thumb.JPG.842d541177d92e224e631e86d3bfe8aa.JPG

IMG_2658.thumb.JPG.ae5559b6f52a3a93187ab986a4999cbe.JPG

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

Hopefully when we go to Australia we will stopover in Singapore for a few days.

• Like 9

Speaking of Singapore being organized but regulated, have you seen their parking garages?  They put lights over each parking space and you can stop at the end of the row, take a look down the row looking for a green light, meaning an open space.  You can see one in this photo right next to the Mercedes.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKd2DVXe6SwxpfPfcHeofk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700457

Also notice the local custom of backing into the parking space.  DS was driving his in-law's second car while living there (nice bonus!) and it is the grey sedan parked on the other side of the Mercedes.  He was always a rebel and pulled in front end first like he normally does at home in the U.S.  Not against the law though!

Hair appointment accomplished and I should be packing or making a list or something.  But here I am reading Cruise Critic!

Just wanted to clarify to Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser DS is driving alone to Texas (he claims he likes driving alone).  DDIL will arrive next month and is staying home in A Squared (commonly known as Ann Arbor...LOL) with the elder son.  DS will be with Ren in the meantime in Texas.  Ren arrives tomorrow night.  We spoke with DS and all is well on his drive so far.  Yes, I hope they both can handle the heat down there.  However, they are heading out to Virginia at the end of next week for a 3 day University of Virginia soccer camp he was invited to.  Another chance for coaches to get a look at him.  He's mostly interested in Notre Dame and UVA.  DDIL is a graduate of UVA.  Well, that's all the news on that front.  

I haven't spoken to Twin yet today.  I'm a little afraid to find out what's happening there.  She will be so distraught if Madi is gone.  Better bite the bullet and get this over with though.😔

• Like 23

8 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FR/Daily @richwmn, and to all contributors.

I appreciate Culinarians. I like to cook, but not for one; I do more if it's a holiday and BFF will be here. I've never had a chili dog. Sometimes at work I had to thread the needle. But taken literally, I can barely do it due to my eye issues. I have a counted cross stitch I'd really like to finish. Famous Twain quote. I like the meal, maybe on the drink and yes to the wine. A big salute to George Stephenson. I haven't been to Singapore. 

It's currently 80F and sunny here, only to get hotter as the week progresses. The weather people are emphasizing the effects on pets, particularly how hot the sidewalk and asphalt gets. I got my electric bill today. Wow! I have been using AC sparingly, so I think the rates went up a lot.

I had an earlier PT today, so I'm just back from that, and a stop at Aldi. The therapist did an assessment today. In some areas I'm a bit stronger. She assessed my back too today. We're going to try to do some things to help my functionality (like bending to empty the dryer, which hurt so much I wanted to cry yesterday), instead of just concentrating on specific muscles. I'm also going to meet with another therapist for pelvic floor therapy, which had been recommended last November.

@Crazy For Cats Great shot. Enjoy Halifax and I appreciate the photos. 

@ottahand7 The tomatoes look great; I didn't plant any this year with my being away for a while.

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanations.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for mentioning Hire a Vet Day; very important. Big goings on in the family with the move to Texas for Ren and his DM. Your photos from Singapore are great!

@marshhawk I hope your PT and Chuck's eye appointment went well. Enjoy the POPS concert tonight. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Nice Singapore photos.

@0106 Thanks for putting the quote in context. 

@Mtn2Sea Great photos of Singapore.

@Cruising-along That is odd about the virtual visits. I did a lot of them during the height of the pandemic, on my iPad, and had no trouble (they were through MyChart). 

@RMLincoln I hope all the plans for the Remembrance go smoothly. 

@sailingdutchy Thanks for sharing your photos.

@dfish That garden looks lovely. I'm avidly following along, as my cruise next year will visit many of the same ports. 

@cruising sister Hoping to hear more good news about Baby Murphy

@luvteaching Thinking of you.

@kazu I hope Ivan is doing better.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Sending you prayers 🙏 Vanessa for good PT and no more pain.

Graham.

• Like 12

Back from the Pulmonologist.  It was about the best outcome I could expect.  I found the report a bit confusing but he said the the things he was concerned about have pretty much resolved.  I had gone with the dates of my trips in case there was something new that I would have to try to work around them but instead he asked if I had any cruises planned and he thought they looked good.

A bit chilly when I first stepped outside about 7:39 but by the time I got back from the Doctor, Panera, and the grocery store my car thermometer said 91F so I am hunkered down inside for the rest of the day.

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Back from the Pulmonologist.  It was about the best outcome I could expect.  I found the report a bit confusing but he said the the things he was concerned about have pretty much resolved.  I had gone with the dates of my trips in case there was something new that I would have to try to work around them but instead he asked if I had any cruises planned and he thought they looked good.

A bit chilly when I first stepped outside about 7:39 but by the time I got back from the Doctor, Panera, and the grocery store my car thermometer said 91F so I am hunkered down inside for the rest of the day.

Roy

Pleased to hear your Pulmonologist was happy with your results Roy.

Graham.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

It is a nice, cool day here in the Pacific NW.  A little rain yesterday for the first time in over a month.  I am enjoying all the pictures from Singapore.  We have been there a few times.  Interesting that we boarded the Westerdam in Hong Kong, a few days after @sailingdutchy boarded it in Singapore before its ill-fated 2020 cruise.  I often wondered why other SE Asian countries couldn't govern themselves like Singapore.

I often look at the Daily in the evening before I go to bed.  Thus most readers would never see any reply I offered to a topic.  Yesterday a few members were describing the lousy experiences they had dealing with the VA medical system.  I also use that system.  I also am able to use Tricare since I am  retired from the Navy.  I first used the VA system for my hearing loss as it is something not covered in Tricare.  Took a few months, but finally approved by the VA.  I eventually got the VA to approve a local audiologist for my care and their office deals with the VA approval for my visits.  When I was diagnosed with leukemia probably cause by my Vietnam service I talked to the Seattle VA office about getting compensation.  They recommended that I use one of the organizations like DAV (Disabled American Veterans) to help with the claim.  I did that and they did an exceptional job, so I am now a member of DAV.  A couple of suggestions to those dealing with the VA.  Recent laws encourage the VA to allow veterans to use local health care providers rather than VA doctors particularly when you live more than a few miles from a VA medical facility.  Also, for the person who drove 32 miles to a VA health facility, you can be reimbursed for your mileage from the VA.  Our closest VA hospital is about 30 miles in Tacoma.  I haven't had to go there in more than ten years.  Hope this helps.

Ray

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Good new Roy! Remember getting old is a gift. Make the most of it; plan more cruises..

• Like 21

Thank you for all the photos of Singapore. We will be there in January, 2025-a long wait but should be an interesting cruise. As for actually threading a needle, you might find it easier to hold the thread still in one hand and move the needle eye toward the thread rather than the other way. And I just noticed last month that the SEATAC parking garage also has the green lights for parking spaces. For some reason though, they weren't always accurate.  Our rain didn't last long but did have another shower late in the afternoon and then a beautiful, large, bright rainbow right over the airport. Take care everyone and stay cool.

• Like 23

1 minute ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Thank you for all the photos of Singapore. We will be there in January, 2025-a long wait but should be an interesting cruise. As for actually threading a needle, you might find it easier to hold the thread still in one hand and move the needle eye toward the thread rather than the other way. And I just noticed last month that the SEATAC parking garage also has the green lights for parking spaces. For some reason though, they weren't always accurate.  Our rain didn't last long but did have another shower late in the afternoon and then a beautiful, large, bright rainbow right over the airport. Take care everyone and stay cool.

A parking light not being accurate in Singapore is probably not allowed!🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 14

4 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

I will try that next time Pauline asks me to thread a needle.

I wish the needle head was wider as it takes me ages to thread the needle.

• Like 14

55 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

It is a nice, cool day here in the Pacific NW.  A little rain yesterday for the first time in over a month.  I am enjoying all the pictures from Singapore.  We have been there a few times.  Interesting that we boarded the Westerdam in Hong Kong, a few days after @sailingdutchy boarded it in Singapore before its ill-fated 2020 cruise.  I often wondered why other SE Asian countries couldn't govern themselves like Singapore.

I often look at the Daily in the evening before I go to bed.  Thus most readers would never see any reply I offered to a topic.  Yesterday a few members were describing the lousy experiences they had dealing with the VA medical system.  I also use that system.  I also am able to use Tricare since I am  retired from the Navy.  I first used the VA system for my hearing loss as it is something not covered in Tricare.  Took a few months, but finally approved by the VA.  I eventually got the VA to approve a local audiologist for my care and their office deals with the VA approval for my visits.  When I was diagnosed with leukemia probably cause by my Vietnam service I talked to the Seattle VA office about getting compensation.  They recommended that I use one of the organizations like DAV (Disabled American Veterans) to help with the claim.  I did that and they did an exceptional job, so I am now a member of DAV.  A couple of suggestions to those dealing with the VA.  Recent laws encourage the VA to allow veterans to use local health care providers rather than VA doctors particularly when you live more than a few miles from a VA medical facility.  Also, for the person who drove 32 miles to a VA health facility, you can be reimbursed for your mileage from the VA.  Our closest VA hospital is about 30 miles in Tacoma.  I haven't had to go there in more than ten years.  Hope this helps.

Ray

Thank you Ray for taking the time to post. My husband is a 20 year retired Army helicopter pilot. He was compensated 70 % about 18 year's ago. When we moved to Texas 3 years ago our friends here suggested we go back to the VA compensation system because if we make it to 100% disabled we won't need to pay property taxes. ($7600 this year) We never thought more about it and felt we were compensated for his service related disabilities. Well, 2 strokes, back surgery, heart surgery, cancer surgeries later, we thought it time to request another look this year. It's frustrating though! When I talked to the VA this morning they told me they had no idea we've had 3 cancellations from the same clinic..

We use Medicare and Tricare for our regular checkups. And yes, the contractor sends us mileage checks. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Great news Roy! So happy the important items were pretty much resolved. Now to think about your upcoming cruises! 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FR/Daily @richwmn, and to all contributors.

I appreciate Culinarians. I like to cook, but not for one; I do more if it's a holiday and BFF will be here. I've never had a chili dog. Sometimes at work I had to thread the needle. But taken literally, I can barely do it due to my eye issues. I have a counted cross stitch I'd really like to finish. Famous Twain quote. I like the meal, maybe on the drink and yes to the wine. A big salute to George Stephenson. I haven't been to Singapore. 

It's currently 80F and sunny here, only to get hotter as the week progresses. The weather people are emphasizing the effects on pets, particularly how hot the sidewalk and asphalt gets. I got my electric bill today. Wow! I have been using AC sparingly, so I think the rates went up a lot.

I had an earlier PT today, so I'm just back from that, and a stop at Aldi. The therapist did an assessment today. In some areas I'm a bit stronger. She assessed my back too today. We're going to try to do some things to help my functionality (like bending to empty the dryer, which hurt so much I wanted to cry yesterday), instead of just concentrating on specific muscles. I'm also going to meet with another therapist for pelvic floor therapy, which had been recommended last November.

@Crazy For Cats Great shot. Enjoy Halifax and I appreciate the photos. 

@ottahand7 The tomatoes look great; I didn't plant any this year with my being away for a while.

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanations.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for mentioning Hire a Vet Day; very important. Big goings on in the family with the move to Texas for Ren and his DM. Your photos from Singapore are great!

@marshhawk I hope your PT and Chuck's eye appointment went well. Enjoy the POPS concert tonight. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Nice Singapore photos.

@0106 Thanks for putting the quote in context. 

@Mtn2Sea Great photos of Singapore.

@Cruising-along That is odd about the virtual visits. I did a lot of them during the height of the pandemic, on my iPad, and had no trouble (they were through MyChart). 

@RMLincoln I hope all the plans for the Remembrance go smoothly. 

@sailingdutchy Thanks for sharing your photos.

@dfish That garden looks lovely. I'm avidly following along, as my cruise next year will visit many of the same ports. 

@cruising sister Hoping to hear more good news about Baby Murphy

@luvteaching Thinking of you.

@kazu I hope Ivan is doing better.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad you are stronger in some areas, and hope they can help you reach the point where it is not so difficult to do daily tasks.  I have a couple of suggestions, and the first might not be practical depending upon the age of your dryer.  Have you thought about getting one of the pedestals to raise the dryer to a more accessible height?  I know they are usually specific to certain models, and they are not inexpensive.  A less expensive alternative is using one of those grabbers that are designed to help people pick up things they drop.  When DH was in rehab the occupational therapist, as part of the program to help him tackle things around the house, showed him how to use the grabber to load and unload the washer and dryer, not that he's used it for that. 😁  While I can still get things out of the dryer, the grabber does help me get clothes out of the back of the very deep built in hamper.  I think I use the grabber more than DH, especially to get things off high selves.  It beats getting out the step ladder.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Speaking of Singapore being organized but regulated, have you seen their parking garages?  They put lights over each parking space and you can stop at the end of the row, take a look down the row looking for a green light, meaning an open space.  You can see one in this photo right next to the Mercedes.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKd2DVXe6SwxpfPfcHeofk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700457

Also notice the local custom of backing into the parking space.  DS was driving his in-law's second car while living there (nice bonus!) and it is the grey sedan parked on the other side of the Mercedes.  He was always a rebel and pulled in front end first like he normally does at home in the U.S.  Not against the law though!

Hair appointment accomplished and I should be packing or making a list or something.  But here I am reading Cruise Critic!

Just wanted to clarify to Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser DS is driving alone to Texas (he claims he likes driving alone).  DDIL will arrive next month and is staying home in A Squared (commonly known as Ann Arbor...LOL) with the elder son.  DS will be with Ren in the meantime in Texas.  Ren arrives tomorrow night.  We spoke with DS and all is well on his drive so far.  Yes, I hope they both can handle the heat down there.  However, they are heading out to Virginia at the end of next week for a 3 day University of Virginia soccer camp he was invited to.  Another chance for coaches to get a look at him.  He's mostly interested in Notre Dame and UVA.  DDIL is a graduate of UVA.  Well, that's all the news on that front.  

I haven't spoken to Twin yet today.  I'm a little afraid to find out what's happening there.  She will be so distraught if Madi is gone.  Better bite the bullet and get this over with though.😔

Sandi, we've seen that light system in some areas of Europe, too.  I knew that your DS was driving and that Ren was flying.  I guess I made the mistake of assuming your DDIL was flying in with Ren and your DS would be heading home.  As far as the heat, just like in AZ, people try to do all the outside work in the morning, and then stay inside during the hotest part of the day.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, that is great news from your visit with the pulmonologist.  It's always nice to know the things that concern a doctor are pretty much resolved.  Now, you can relax and enjoy planning for your cruises, and the cruises.  I hope there are more cruises in your future after this good report.

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Ray, the notice DH got several years ago was about the VA allowing veterans to see local health care providers instead of going to a VA facility.  For us the nearest one is at least 45 miles away in Waco.  However, just to get the approval would take a long visit to the VA and jumping through too many hoops.  We're lucky Medicare and our supplement cover the costs of our care.  When we were in Quartzsite a few years ago, we checked out the VA clinic.  To be seen there, DH would have to go to Flagstaff and be approved by a doctor there.  😱  That's about a day's drive.

12 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you Ray for taking the time to post. My husband is a 20 year retired Army helicopter pilot. He was compensated 70 % about 18 year's ago. When we moved to Texas 3 years ago our friends here suggested we go back to the VA compensation system because if we make it to 100% disabled we won't need to pay property taxes. ($7600 this year) We never thought more about it and felt we were compensated for his service related disabilities. Well, 2 strokes, back surgery, heart surgery, cancer surgeries later, we thought it time to request another look this year. It's frustrating though! When I talked to the VA this morning they told me they had no idea we've had 3 cancellations from the same clinic..

We use Medicare and Tricare for our regular checkups. And yes, the contractor sends us mileage checks. 

Joy, with the VA, it seems the left had has no clue what the right hand is doing.  No wonder it takes so much time and effort to be seen.  I hope you can get things straightened out soon.

Lenda

• Like 20

I have a wonderful little tool that helps me thread a needle!  I think this was my mother's, but I imagine they are still available.

IMG_4101.thumb.jpeg.e4b85b4ea745c35c5dc189a225cf8809.jpeg

Pat often visited Singapore during business trips and stayed at Raffles (pre-air conditioning!)  then he found the beautiful Shangri-La hotel on Orchard Road, and I stayed there with him a couple of times.   Great for shopping!  We also had a turn-around day in Singapore on Volendam in 2014 and then a few days there at the end of the cruise.  We had friends on board as well as Pat's DS and BIL and our younger DD.  We had a wonderful time.  Our hotel (I don't remember which one it was) was over the underground shopping area of Singapore and it had a huge food court.  We ate there a lot, but also at the Jumbo Restaurant on the Singapore River, where the others had chile crab, it was too spicy for me.  We went to the Night Safari, rode the Singapore Flyer and the HOHO and a boat down the river, visited the museums and the Jurong Bird Park, Chinatown, there is so much to do, you could spend weeks there and not run out of activities.  But, boy was it hot!

I have tons of pictures, I'll post a few that might be different..

Decorations for, you guessed it, the Year of the Horse..

P1080524.thumb.JPG.87815f5fa3032dc1a052af72ad941faf.JPG

On the river

P1060676.thumb.JPG.c29deabb31ce6b1948f94c642cad4cff.JPG

Jumbo Restaurant and getting ready for chile crab!

P1060741.thumb.JPG.48ade7ab26b171bbbee384c95d760dda.JPG

P1070178.thumb.jpeg.c344955ca2ab3df3c5b72b7c2a11a86e.jpeg

P1060683.thumb.JPG.1118d39af7ef958fdb82e4800813eab3.JPG

From the Singapore Flyer

P1080464.thumb.JPG.52d5cb4c05710ec57bf9971a3190004e.JPG

The beautiful Jurong Bird Park and gardens, such gorgeous birds!

P1060642.thumb.JPG.8cd89d76b0cb8cba3ea1f4aacf2cefa6.JPG

P1080257.thumb.JPG.c06737c7879d4f964e6fbae6078cee12.JPG

P1080351.thumb.JPG.520256585688da43db5574b8ebfa7f5a.JPG

P1080357.thumb.jpg.e92fe635fd683a459c5ca67aacc59de4.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

26 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

If the VA is not being responsive on reevaluating your claim, I suggest you talk to something like the DAV for help.  Their services are free.  Here is an example of what they did for me.  When they were doing the paperwork for the leukemia thing, they asked about my hearing loss.  The VA provided the hearing aids and batteries, but considered it 0% disabling.  I thought that was fine as they were helping my hearing.  DAV filed some paperwork for it and it came back from the VA that I was 40% disabled from my hearing loss.  It is a moot point, as you can't be more than 100% disabled, and the leukemia is already 100%.  But different disabilities can add up, possibly to 100%.  Incidentally the VA does math differently than we do.  To them, a 60% disability and a 40% disability add up to something like 80 or 90 per cent, not 100 as you would assume.

Ray

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

But different disabilities can add up, possibly to 100%.  Incidentally the VA does math differently than we do.  To them, a 60% disability and a 40% disability add up to something like 80 or 90 per cent, not 100 as you would assume.

I'm kind of thinking that the idea might be an assessment of remaining abilities.  In your example, we would multiply 0.4 for the 60% with 0.6 for the 40% and get an estimate of 24% remaining or 76% disability.  Very crude but I see some logic to it.

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I have a wonderful little tool that helps me thread a needle!  I think this was my mother's, but I imagine they are still available.

Pat often visited Singapore during business trips and stayed at Raffles (pre-air conditioning!)  then he found the beautiful Shangri-La hotel on Orchard Road, and I stayed there with him a couple of times.   Great for shopping!  We also had a turn-around day in Singapore on Volendam in 2014 and then a few days there at the end of the cruise.  We had friends on board as well as Pat's DS and BIL and our younger DD.  We had a wonderful time.  Our hotel (I don't remember which one it was) was over the underground shopping area of Singapore and it had a huge food court.  We ate there a lot, but also at the Jumbo Restaurant on the Singapore River, where the others had chile crab, it was too spicy for me.  We went to the Night Safari, rode the Singapore Flyer and the HOHO and a boat down the river, visited the museums and the Jurong Bird Park, Chinatown, there is so much to do, you could spend weeks there and not run out of activities.  But, boy was it hot!

On the river

From the Singapore Flyer

Ann, I have some of those needle threaders, too. Some might have been my mother's or my grandmother's.  Recently, I couldn't find one when I needed it, and had to thread the needle without help.  Boy, did that take some time.  I found a pack of three threaders at the dollar story, and they are bright red, so maybe I won't lose them.  Thank you for your pictures.  The Singapore flyer wasn't there the last time we were in Singapore.  There is still a lot left for us to explore.

Lenda

• Like 18

Hello everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

The meal of the day sounds delicious. I would like to try an Espresso Martini. 

Been busy today. heavy thunderstorms came through. I lost Internet right in the middle of a video I was making for one of my classes. Will have to begin a new tomorrow. 

Fancy is adapting very nicely. She has shown she can be mischievous when bored. She stole one of the cats' toys and tore it to shreds. She loves racing around the back yard. She is a wonderful dog. I may begin training her to be a therapy dog as she has a very nice disposition. 

Thinking of all on the care list. Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day!

• Like 24

I'm wondering if many ships are using the (relatively) new cruise terminal in Singapore.  When I visited on Queen Elizabeth in 2010 we got stuck in an industrial port; in 2012 when I boarded the Zaandam we used the traditional terminal by the shipping mall, and in 2014 I walked over from Crystal Symphony to Crystal Serenity here:

arrival1.jpg

Roy

• Like 24

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Good news Roy.  Thanks for sharing with all of us.  Hope you are soon back aboard a ship relaxing at sea.

• Like 16

35 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

If the VA is not being responsive on reevaluating your claim, I suggest you talk to something like the DAV for help.  Their services are free.  Here is an example of what they did for me.  When they were doing the paperwork for the leukemia thing, they asked about my hearing loss.  The VA provided the hearing aids and batteries, but considered it 0% disabling.  I thought that was fine as they were helping my hearing.  DAV filed some paperwork for it and it came back from the VA that I was 40% disabled from my hearing loss.  It is a moot point, as you can't be more than 100% disabled, and the leukemia is already 100%.  But different disabilities can add up, possibly to 100%.  Incidentally the VA does math differently than we do.  To them, a 60% disability and a 40% disability add up to something like 80 or 90 per cent, not 100 as you would assume.

Ray

The DAV was the fire that was lit under the VA to get my hubby's disability approved.  Now we're dealing with dentistry stuff --- had to get Washington DC involved to get approval for a root canal & implant or whatever for a crown that had come off -- he gets care locally but no endodontic people that take VA so he went to Tacoma yesterday for a root canal, now waiting for local approval for the next step.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

On the river

From the Singapore Flyer

Lovely photos Ann.

Nice photos of you two too.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, that's a good idea about the light for open spaces. BFF likes to back into parking spaces all the time, but I avoid it as I have depth perception issues, and it's too hard!

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Great news, Roy!

2 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Thank you for all the photos of Singapore. We will be there in January, 2025-a long wait but should be an interesting cruise. As for actually threading a needle, you might find it easier to hold the thread still in one hand and move the needle eye toward the thread rather than the other way. 

Thanks for the trick about threading a needle; I'll have to try it. Unfortunately you can't do that with a sewing machine. I can usually just thread it or use one of those doohickies others have posted.

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Vanessa, I'm glad you are stronger in some areas, and hope they can help you reach the point where it is not so difficult to do daily tasks.  I have a couple of suggestions, and the first might not be practical depending upon the age of your dryer.  Have you thought about getting one of the pedestals to raise the dryer to a more accessible height?  I know they are usually specific to certain models, and they are not inexpensive.  A less expensive alternative is using one of those grabbers that are designed to help people pick up things they drop.  When DH was in rehab the occupational therapist, as part of the program to help him tackle things around the house, showed him how to use the grabber to load and unload the washer and dryer, not that he's used it for that. 😁  While I can still get things out of the dryer, the grabber does help me get clothes out of the back of the very deep built in hamper.  I think I use the grabber more than DH, especially to get things off high selves.  It beats getting out the step ladder.

Lenda

Lenda, good thoughts. I'd thought of a riser for the dryer. It's not a fancy one, just a Kenmore. I have seen directions to build a pedestal. It would be good if I knew a good handyman. I have one of those grabbers, but it's a cheap one that's hard to work. I'll look for a better one.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

I have multiples of that needle threader! Thanks for the great Singapore photos.

33 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

DH and I sit on a low step-stool when emptying the dryer. Might this help?

That's an idea, although most of my step stools aren't sitting friendly. I have a couple of vintage regular wooden stools, one of which I sat on but only to relieve the back pain from standing. It's a combination of bending and standing. Even just standing to cook or wash dishes can bother me.

29 minutes ago, Denise T said:

Hello everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

Fancy is adapting very nicely. She has shown she can be mischievous when bored. She stole one of the cats' toys and tore it to shreds. She loves racing around the back yard. She is a wonderful dog. I may begin training her to be a therapy dog as she has a very nice disposition. 

Thinking of all on the care list. Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day!

Aww, Fancy seems to be enjoying being with you and the cats!

@Crazy For Cats Sorry to hear that Jake. I hope the person will be ok.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20