Level 4 Travel Advisory for Haiti

We are scheduled for our first trip there next month. I haven’t been that concerned with it because the general consensus has always seemed to be ‘Labadee isnt really haiti’. 

This seems to contradict that.

1 minute ago, simon.hed said:

How so? Labadee is still in the same place it always has been… nowhere near any of the issues. Nothing has changed.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, simon.hed said:

We are scheduled for our first trip there next month. I haven’t been that concerned with it because the general consensus has always seemed to be ‘Labadee isnt really haiti’. 

The travel advisory changed on July 27th.  I am not sure if any of the ships have been to Labadee since the change.  It will be up to the cruise line to make a decision.  Labadee is isolated and is fenced off but those riding the zipline do go outside the gates to go up the mountain.  We will have to see if this stop is missed in the future.

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Correct and ships stopped visiting that port in the past because of the travel level.

I remember a couple of  the times thst ships stopped going there and if I recall correctly they were due to immediate concerns in the local area as opposed to the travel level for the country. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

How so? Labadee is still in the same place it always has been… nowhere near any of the issues. Nothing has changed.

Understood, but I think I’ve heard more ‘there could conceivably be issues’ in this thread than I have read on the boards in months.

That could be my perception of course.

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

I probably feel safer in Labadee than NYC, San Francisco, Detroit, etc.  At the very least Security in Labadee will take action.

I'm in NYC all the time for work or pleasure.  The cities are not burning, like some would have us believe.  I'm careful and it's fine.

Teddie

• Like 2

Just now, simon.hed said:

Understood, but I think I’ve heard more ‘there could conceivably be issues’ in this thread than I have read on the boards in months.

Also, by “this” (in my first post in this thread), i meant the opinions in this thread, not any actual news.

3 minutes ago, simon.hed said:

We would not go to a country with a level 4 warning for personal reasons.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, simon.hed said:

Opinions of a handful of internet posters popping up doesn’t mean anything has changed.

If you’re uncomfortable going there, I’m not here to convince you otherwise. I personally wouldn’t change my opinion based on this thread though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Opinions of a handful of internet posters popping up doesn’t mean anything has changed.

If you’re uncomfortable going there, I’m not here to convince you otherwise. I personally wouldn’t change my opinion based on this thread though.

I remember when there was a gang related shooting out near the street at Megan's bay. People posted threads and threads, I'm never going there again. They were shot dead, not just shot, they died.

I see people posting now asking how is the best way to get to this local beach. 

Clearly this will blow over, like always.   .. and I see to remember a hold up of a excursion out of calif, west coast. Things happen then people shrug and move on. Both of these were over 10 years ago, but things been dangerous a long time.

41 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I remember a couple of  the times thst ships stopped going there and if I recall correctly they were due to immediate concerns in the local area as opposed to the travel level for the country. 

I remember them not going when the u rest was close to labadee.  Agree.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, if you have made a dozen trips there since last year (I think it only opened in February 2022,,, we went there in March 6, 2022 and I think it had only been open a few weeks at that time). You have been there through the periods of serious unrest in the country. And if you made a dozen trips there since February 2022, you traveled there at a time when the US State Department had a Level 4 travel advisory for the country (I don't know that it has been less than Level 4 since the presidential assassination). 

Sorry but Labadee opened in 1986 and Royal has a lease on the area until 2050. The pier has not been there that long. The first time we visited in 2003 it was a tender port. The pier was added for Oasis.

There have been several incidents over the years. The country is very under developed and travel is all over primitive roads.

16 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Your last sentence makes a good point.   And I highly doubt the few guards that are there are going to risk their lives for a bunch of Americans. 

They and the rickety fence produce a nice illusion though. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nelblu said:

I probably feel safer in Labadee than NYC, San Francisco, Detroit, etc.  At the very least Security in Labadee will take action.

I feel quite safe in NYC. And those police officers in Time Square seem a bit more on the ball than the guy guarding the gate at Labadee.

• Like 6

Would not bother me one bit to skip Labadee.   I used to love the place before they put in the pier and changed the whole thing.  We never swim there, since the water is so polluted.  We usually take an early morning walk, then back to the ship as the bulk of the pax are coming to the beach.  

Lunch is nice at Barefoot Beach sometimes though.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

Would not bother me one bit to skip Labadee.   I used to love the place before they put in the pier and changed the whole thing.  We never swim there, since the water is so polluted.  We usually take an early morning walk, then back to the ship as the bulk of the pax are coming to the beach.  

Lunch is nice at Barefoot Beach sometimes though.  

We got to skip Labadee once due to weather. In return, the next day we had a full day in San Juan instead of half a day. Great trade off in my opinion.

• Like 2

The current issues are in Port-au-Prince as the gangs there clash with police.   As mentioned in this thread, PaP is a long (and difficult) journey away from Labadee.   The type of unrest is all gang related this time, and Cap doesn't have the same issue.   

Royal will monitor any unrest and take appropriate action, but I would be shocked if any of the current situation affected the northern half of Haiti, let alone the remote area that is Labadee. 

• Like 3