Do so called social media 'influencers' get free cruises and other perks?

RBCal

14 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Are we not allowed to?

oops  I didnt know that.

why not? - they are not TA's

I've seen lots of mention of specific Youtubers with recommendations to watch their channels and have not seen anything from Cruise Critic stating that it's not allowed. So "oops" from me, too, because I've also made recommendations.

I guess I'd better go re-read terms and conditions again.

Edited by mammajamma2013

On 8/1/2023 at 11:42 AM, Zach1213 said:

As far as Facebook goes, you often build your own algorithm. My Facebook is a fountain of lovely pictures of my family and friends and the things they do. 

That is what I have done. I don't like Facebook but with an  extended family throughout the US and Canada I have to be on Facebook or be a hermit. I am not the hermit type.

From what I have picked up, the best cruise influencers dont get any perks or freebies.

Infact a few of them seem to think the cruise lines dont particularly like them.

The ones that give honest reviews anyway.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:03 PM, Kristelle said:

Are we talking about Youtubers like Gary Bembridge?

He is about the only cruise YouTuber who I watch. Most of the others, there are two travel agents, are a joke. Very click baits titles and then they don't say anything. Gary seems pretty objective. I have taken so many cruises that his tips are things I already learned but I think they would be very helpful to new cruisers. Don and that other one I forgot his name, I think  it is starts with an L are crap in my opinion. 

25 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That is what I have done. I don't like Facebook but with an  extended family throughout the US and Canada I have to be on Facebook or be a hermit. I am not the hermit type.

My family and friends are on six continents (sometimes seven because I know a guy who spends an occasional summer working in Antarctica). I grew up in Namibia and live in the US, travel the world for a living, and my wife's family is in North Africa...so yeah, social media is critical in keeping in touch with family and friends along the way. 

Facebook/Meta is a useful tool but many don't know that everything you post is stored forever on their servers even if you delete your account.  Neary all sites do this though.  What I don't like is that if you block cookies or use a VPN you cannot use FB.   My mother is not computer savvy and has fallen for numerous scams from FB posts.  It's taken hours to days to fix her computer and cancel credit cards.  IMHO, FB is at least partially responsible for not weeding out the scammers and spam.

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

He is about the only cruise YouTuber who I watch. Most of the others, there are two travel agents, are a joke. Very click baits titles and then they don't say anything. Gary seems pretty objective. I have taken so many cruises that his tips are things I already learned but I think they would be very helpful to new cruisers. Don and that other one I forgot his name, I think  it is starts with an L are crap in my opinion. 

I like the site cruising with Ben and David.

They are British from my part of the world and absolutely love their food.

The cruise lines don't like them because of their honesty.

On 8/3/2023 at 10:51 AM, pc_load_letter said:

The only cruise utuber I can stand to watch more than five minutes is Emma from Emma's Cruises. She always discloses what she pays and I have yet to hear in any of her videos that she was given the cruise for free.

The only other one is Doug from Cruise News.

Thanks for the heads up on Emma.  I found and watched several of her videos and I really enjoyed them.  She is so positive and upbeat and determined to have a good time, which is the kind of cruiser that I am.  And she understands that if you are paying less your expectation should be less.  As opposed to the Tips for Travelers guy who tries to blow up every little imperfection on a cruise to a major issue.  I can see how he appeals to some people, but he is not my cup of tea.  If I had a chance to sit down and talk, over a drink, with either of them, hands down it would be Emma.

Now that you've proven to be such a discerning selector of cruise YouTube channels I'm off to find this fellow Doug from Cruise News.  Is the name of his channel on YouTube Cruise Radio?

Cheers!

Edited by Toofarfromthesea
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Thanks for the heads up on Emma.  I found and watched several of her videos and I really enjoyed them.  She is so positive and upbeat and determined to have a good time, which is the kind of cruiser that I am.  And she understands that if you are paying less your expectation should be less.  As opposed to the Tips for Travelers guy who tries to blow up every little imperfection on a cruise to a major issue.  I can see how he appeals to some people, but he is not my cup of tea.  If I had a chance to sit down and talk, over a drink, with either of them, hands down it would be Emma.

Now that you've proven to be such a discerning selector of cruise YouTube channels I'm off to find this fellow Doug from Cruising News.

Cheers!

Happy to help!

Tips for Travelers is clearly not my demographic. I think he caters to more "upscale" cruise demo and while we hope to be there one day, wife and I prefer our Carnival, NCL etc. He is very well spoken though and makes high quality videos. I did enjoy his Virgin video.

Doug doesn't really do reviews per se. He just does quick little daily cruise news vids. He will also do the occasional ship tour videos which I have found helpful when it's a ship I am sailing.

Happy sailing!

I like Emma also I think she is honest and gives you a good idea what any ship is like .She is great at room reviews if you care about that. She is mostly positive but that is a good thing . She seems like a lovely young women.

1 hour ago, dolittle said:

I like Emma also I think she is honest and gives you a good idea what any ship is like .She is great at room reviews if you care about that. She is mostly positive but that is a good thing . She seems like a lovely young women.

Emma just posted a video saying she is in controversial cabin. Somewhat a clickbait title. She was in a Boardwalk  cabin. I don't think it is controversial. It is just different. I don't care for them, was in one once but I have friends who love to watch the activity and the aqua show. Also she said she was not at the end over the park. The cabins over the park are over Central Park not over the boardwalk. Also she booked a guarantee to save money and that what she was assigned. Pretty much though her style was to talk fast and babble on about every detail for 14 minutes. I was not impressed. Oh and at the end she says if she had to do it over she would have booked a Central Park cabin. I was in one of those once and that was the worst cabin on Oasis class in my opinion. Then she adds that the Boardwalk cabin was fun! Sorry I will take Gary any day over her, 

• 2 weeks later...

I am on Valiant Lady now.  I can confirm that 'influencers' receive free cruises.  A blogger with over 10 million followers is on the ship and received two free suites.  They were proud of it.  

I feel ripped off but am still enjoying myself.

Edited by RBCal

44 minutes ago, RBCal said:

I am on Valiant Lady now.  I can confirm that 'influencers' receive free cruises.  A blogger with over 10 million followers is on the ship and received two free suites.  They were proud of it.  

Well just  start blogging  & you too can get  free cruises 😅

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, RBCal said:

Which blogger? I would like to check if they are disclosing the freebies.

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Which blogger? I would like to check if they are disclosing the freebies.

I'm not going to say.  They would probably sue me.  Everyone does these days.

Any blogger should be taken with a grain of salt unless they clearly state they are compensated IMHO.

3 hours ago, RBCal said:

Why do you feel ripped off?      I don't quite understand how anyone getting a free cruise affects anyone else in any way.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Why do you feel ripped off?      I don't quite understand how anyone getting a free cruise affects anyone else in any way.

I don't care either if they got a free cruise or perks I just want to know if they write an article if they got a free cruise or perks. On YouTube I appreciate the influncers who disclose they were sent a product to review. I can still learn from the review but I want to know. 

Edited by Charles4515

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't care either if they got a free cruise or perks I just want to know if they write an article if they got a free cruise or perks. On YouTube I appreciate the influncers who disclose they were sent a product to review. I can still learn from the review but I want to know. 

Exactly! Many YouTube posts and blogs are from objective cruisers. As long as the ones getting a free ride make it clear, everyone should be fine.

One catch: on one YouTube I watched about a luxury line, the person mentioned almost in a quick blur that it was a free cruise, then said slowly and clearly that the line wasn't paying her. That was the only really deceptive video I've seen. Just watch carefully.

9 hours ago, RBCal said:

I'm not going to say.  They would probably sue me.  Everyone does these days.

Any blogger should be taken with a grain of salt unless they clearly state they are compensated IMHO.

How could they sue you? You are an anonymous poster on a social media site. Unless you libel someone, they can't sue you. So name the blogger, since you  claim he got a free cruise.  We can check his site and see what he reports about the cruise. 

Although it shouldn't take a Sherlock Holmes to find out which vlogger is currently sailing on the Valiant Lady.

As for feeling ripped off; sounds like sour grapes.

• Like 2