The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 4th, 2023

richwmn

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2018 Grand Alaska.Panama trip and was taken from MS Westerdam in the Inland passage the final night before arriving in Vancouver.

dusk0804.jpg

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Happy 232nd Birthday to the U.S. Coast Guard that I was proud to serve in for six years. Many memories!

Congratulations @Mr. Boston on your well earned retirement!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need today.

- Jack

CoastGuardposter.thumb.jpg.0148218f58b5396851f10a2581b1fb08.jpg

One time during my service I was chosen to be in an Honor Guard for a parade, That is me second from the right wihen beards were allowed.

CoastGuardParade1.thumb.jpg.38b6a19a79ad1d0b10b7be26dcac77e9.jpg

That is me carrying the Coast Guard flag.

CoastGuardParade2.thumb.jpg.a6799852e89e14e90e114b3e52eba225.jpg

Thanks for your service, Jack.  I didn't know that the Coasties wore leggings or spats with their dress whites.  Otherwise similar to Navy uniforms.

ETCM, USN Retired

Ray

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

As Ann @VictOriann has mentioned on Oct 13 , 2016 we were in the Port of Bari and I had set up a small group tour to the little village of Alberobello and view the curious Trulli houses . These trulli houses originated from an edict in the middle of the 15th century Kingdom of Naples when one of the counts imposed on the residents that they built their dwellings dry , without the use of any mortars so that they would be seen as precarious buildings and easily demolished . So the solution was to built small homes in the round form with self supporting domed roofs.

image.thumb.jpeg.8200a5d3aca319cfc82b5f606a28150e.jpeg

Here you are Ann with my DW Martha 

image.thumb.jpeg.3b37a4a65881fa9c2c4ada19583ee775.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.95aade7c4c55544e455df83c85ae3643.jpeg

With modern conveniences

image.thumb.jpeg.24d54a23030b4cc71ce366f675eaf38b.jpeg

Huge chimneys to be a bit taller than the peaks 

image.thumb.jpeg.75b15c6782767c780d19ba32c74cea54.jpeg

They were not in my tour but from the looks of it they also had a good time .

image.thumb.jpeg.dc6f48f4d1f32958d2b54ad7baa73fcd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9738dc06045980ab6aca5b56740992eb.jpeg

Inside one of the little stores 

image.thumb.jpeg.52735d0d31a0ba837e65cf4908cdc14d.jpeg

The roof 

image.thumb.jpeg.007acc39465b4b945ad58cc8f6a1ffa6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.be0a0e6b3ddc5ce35264783e84a200f4.jpeg

Even the San Antonio church 

image.thumb.jpeg.4d9ce5a8acfcf8137d248d45be22dd74.jpeg

That’s Tony with San Antonio di Padova

image.thumb.jpeg.c0deae43ca6f25bda0bc9726b3a2fc01.jpeg

Next we went to Ostuni with all the white houses 

image.thumb.jpeg.85a8e015deccd49609370a1a9d59f6b5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0fc9e464b5948d048de665db8ca4350d.jpeg

Our wonderful group 

image.thumb.jpeg.70b47e91acb2d9ce85d92fc1d85e0e1f.jpeg

Time for a rest and a drink from Tony’s Tiring Tour ............ oops don't do that ......

image.thumb.jpeg.09cd050b9b9c3894c311c54803eaadb1.jpeg

??????? ........don't want to get banned 

image.thumb.jpeg.eaecc935822b8ec1b07041c9da292b0c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c14fd58b3b1e85a8948c3610e501b1cc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.89b5ee18f492b16b8b016a48eed3c168.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.10e743158508a7d96d387571f85587b1.jpeg

Saint Nicolas Basilica in Bari 

image.thumb.jpeg.a041cfddfb42560ebe19f04c269ceb33.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6193d8543f517c78220f69e7e3788845.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9e8580f98e347d8d2300fdd89e042b11.jpeg

A wonderful tour day was had by all , if I say so myself ,  after we rested a bit later that evening we had a delicious dinner in the Captains corner of the Pinnacle Restaurant 

image.thumb.jpeg.8cc683205dcd0ae5298301d708fb0de3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8650b0ad991bf24f2c10a924c182d258.jpeg

Not a bad day being the 13th of October 

Tony 😁😁
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 6

The round beehive homes in Bari are fascinating!  Very cool. 

Apparently a bug bit me on my neck at the hairline during our hike in Corner Brook because I’ve been itching two bumps since last night. It’s driving me nuts. Hydrocortisone cream isn’t helping much. I’ll be glad when they settle down and give me some relief.  🦟

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Apparently a bug bit me on my neck at the hairline during our hike in Corner Brook because I’ve been itching two bumps since last night. It’s driving me nuts. Hydrocortisone cream isn’t helping much. I’ll be glad when they settle down and give me some relief.  🦟

Sandi sorry about the bites. I am a bug magnet! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Good to see Chinese Daughter's Day, Chocolate Chip Cookie Day (my grocery store had their usual $4.99 container of cookies for 99 cents today), and I will salute the USCG for all they do to keep us safe. Funny quote. I'll pass on the meal (fish) and drink, and yes to the wine. A sad day in history with the arrest of Anne Frank. I visited the Anne Frank house many years ago, when I first started traveling. I have been to Italy, but not Bari. 

It's hot and sunny out (87F) and more humid. I've been using Voltaren cream on my back and also some new stretches, and it wasn't too bad getting out of bed this morning. Then I went to PT, which finished with some aggressive passive stretching. Then to the PO and grocery store. Now I'm cooling down with my delayed morning coffee (although it's hot coffee).

@Mr. Boston Congrats on your retirement! Enjoy your time; and you'll wonder how you had time to work, lol.

@StLouisCruisers Wow on DS and Ren getting to see Messi play! He is such a great player. Sorry about the bug bite and I hope they get less itchy soon.

@0106 Great job on the recipes.

@Denise T Feel better soon! I commend you for working, going through personal challenges, and working toward your doctorate; not easy!

@Heartgrove Thank you for your service in the USCG! Great photos of you carrying the CG flag.

@1ANGELCAT Oh, Barb already had her surgery. Prayers that it was as successful as the surgeon thinks. It sounds like the typical long procedure for that diagnosis. I hope the recovery goes well.

@smitty34877 Sorry to hear that the side-effects of the chemo have started for DH. I hope they lessen soon. How often will he get infusions? I'm sure it's tough having an aide only part time for a while. Prayers for your family during this rough patch.

@marshhawk Hoping that DH tolerates the new treatment well. 

@RMLincoln You and DH did a great job getting through this second surgery. And woohoo on the pressure readings being good. I hope he can reduce the drops.

@ger_77 Have a great time with your visiting family.

@kazu I'm sure it did your BFF good to get together for a bit. Continued prayers for her DH. 

@Nickelpenny The study I'm in is a cognitive one. Sometimes I have to do online tests or something on my phone. I got notification recently that I've been in it for 500 days; it's a 2 year study. And I did a Covid study for immunocompromised people that just involved measuring antibody response to vaccines; that one has already been published.

@Quartzsite CruiserThanks for the photos from Bari.

@Vict0riann @sailingdutchy Great photos of the beehive houses and your tour. 

@cruising sister Continued prayers for Baby Murphy.

Prayers for the Care List and all needing prayers. A Toast to those with something to Celebrate!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Hello everyone.  

Sorry I have been away for a few days.  You all have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Everyday I start out reading the Daily and then something happens and I never finish and never get to post.

So now I have caught up on the last two days,  

Thank you for thinking of me.

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Dixie, Ann, and Tina for your contributions to keep this thread going.

Prayers for everyone, especially Baby Murphy,  @mamaofami’ DH Sam, and @smitty34877’ s DH Lou and @marshhawk’s DH Chuck and @ger_77’DH as they all deal with their medical issues.

Cheers to those celebrating.
@Denise T good luck with your orals.  

@lazey1 HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

@Mr. Boston HAPPY RETIREMENT!

i have to say, that I started this post about four hours ago and got called away by a phone call and then DH and Lord knows what else.

However, I am back.

Prayers for all and Congrats and Cheers to those celebrating.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Can you get your hands on some rubbing alcohol? A bit swabbed on them with even a tissue should help. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@Nickelpenny The study I'm in is a cognitive one. Sometimes I have to do online tests or something on my phone. I got notification recently that I've been in it for 500 days; it's a 2 year study. And I did a Covid study for immunocompromised people that just involved measuring antibody response to vaccines; that one has already been published.

That is so cool.  I feel if I can help the world in anyway, why not.  I commend you for volunteering.  Bravo!!

• Like 19

Back finally from our shopping and lunch, I see Tony filled in the blanks of our day in Bari, so I'll just add a few more pictures.  We also had a stop in an olive oil factory as it was an excellent olive area.  Really old trees!  The picture is not good, because it was taken from the moving bus.

P1040066.thumb.JPG.64adb5fd20b8bd4a421fa45c77951226.JPG

P1020003.thumb.JPG.108fd1a4264aca13156e81ae36fba7f5.JPG

Filling a tin of beautiful olive oil for me.

P1040044.thumb.JPG.0ce1d73c49726f2bae6823ccfdc7b39f.JPG

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

A question for dailyites with Navy/Coast Guard ties.  2 sailors today were arrested for giving classified documents to China.  Can someone tell me why the DA is doing this rather than it going to a Court Marshall?

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Move is 95% complete.  Finally got my internet up and working late today. Has been a hard few days.  Still need to clean fridge and freezer at old place.  Then there is estate sale next week.  

I have several days to read to get caught up with the Daily. Prayers for all on the Cares list. Have a good evening!

Mary Kay

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Well good grief, I thought I had sent the cat earlier, and found it when I opened the box to write in.

I paid bills tonight after a lovely pasta with italian sausage and salad.  Why not give myself indigestion....  and when I was done emptying my checking account, I said to myself....wait,  there should be two more bills in the mail...so I went down the hill to the mailbox, and found a card, just for me...ahhh..

I have been summoned for Jury duty!

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Well my last day of work is finally here, it’s a strange feeling but I’m ready. 

👏🎉

14 hours ago, Denise T said:

Today will be a day of rest for me. I have four classes of assignments today so I will work on that. I have my oral presentation scheduled for 8/21/2023 so that I will need to work on my PowerPoint slides for that. If all goes well, I should complete my doctorate by the end of this year with commencement scheduled for next year. It has been a long and hard journey working on my doctorate. Balancing work and classes as well as losing two family members made it a challenge. Finally, the end is in sight. I earned this. 

Good for you working towards your doctorate. 👏

10 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Well good grief, I thought I had sent the cat earlier, and found it when I opened the box to write in.I

You did! 😉 It’s post #35. But that’s OK, I laughed again! 😄  

• Like 14

8 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks for your service, Jack.  I didn't know that the Coasties wore leggings or spats with their dress whites.  Otherwise similar to Navy uniforms.

ETCM, USN Retired

Ray

Ray, thank you for your service! The Treasury Seal worn on our right sleeve was the only difference. We only had the leggings on as the Color Guard. Normally never wore them. That was my favorite uniform, white Tropical shirt with our dress hat. Girls used to think we were a foreign navy.  ☺️  The "Bender Blues" uniforms (named after Adm. Chester Bender) were just being introduced when my enlistment was up so I was never issued the new uniform. In retrospect, I sometimes wish I had made it a career.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Move is 95% complete.  Finally got my internet up and working late today. Has been a hard few days.  Still need to clean fridge and freezer at old place.  Then there is estate sale next week.  

I have several days to read to get caught up with the Daily. Prayers for all on the Cares list. Have a good evening!

Mary Kay

Wow!  Mary Kay, When you put your mind to it you put the rest of you into it too!  Rest, it’ll all happen!  

Excited to say we booked a cruise!  Two actually. NY - Quebec-NY. Not as fancy as Roy’s but it’s one I’ve wanted to do. One month from today.  NCL Joy!  More about it tomorrow. 

Good night all!  Good morning to friends afar!  M—

• Like 17

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

A question for dailyites with Navy/Coast Guard ties.  2 sailors today were arrested for giving classified documents to China.  Can someone tell me why the DA is doing this rather than it going to a Court Marshall?

Roy

Roy, I would guess that the FBI did the investigation and the fact that it was Classified Material. I am sure that the Navy Intelligence was involved as well.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Well good grief, I thought I had sent the cat earlier, and found it when I opened the box to write in.

I paid bills tonight after a lovely pasta with italian sausage and salad.  Why not give myself indigestion....  and when I was done emptying my checking account, I said to myself....wait,  there should be two more bills in the mail...so I went down the hill to the mailbox, and found a card, just for me...ahhh..

I have been summoned for Jury duty!

Lately, when I start to write a post, the previous one will still be in the message box.  I've learned tp scroll back to see if I had posted it, and usually I have.

Sorry about the jury duty.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I thought that every day was chocolate chip cookie day.

For several years I worked across the road from the Coast Guard Academy, and once I officiated at the wedding of a Coast Guard officer. That was a little complicated: the wedding was being held in the officers’ club of the New London Naval Submarine Base, and Connecticut requires that the license be issued by the clerk of the town in which the ceremony will take place. Now, the base is not in New London at all; it’s in the Town of Groton (“Rotten Groton” to Navy people) EXCEPT for the OC, which is in the Town of Ledyard.

Lunch today at Mel’s on 22 in the center of Cooperstown: spinach and strawberry salad with grilled chicken. Dinner at the Rose and Kettle in Cherry Valley, a small town about 15 miles away that claims to be the site of the first English-speaking church west of the Hudson. Sesame-crusted salmon, crisp fried polenta, and grilled vegetables. No pictures.

Romeo and Juliet tonight. Duke Kim didn’t look the part of Romeo -– I think he’s Korean-American – but did some of the finest singing I’ve ever heard.

• Like 14