Cruiselines offering 70s & 80s style entertainment?

Sandie5

We were on RCCL and the entertainment was definitely 1950s. Frankee Vallie and Sha Na Na etc. My youth is more 70s & 80s and they didn't have that. However, the shows were still fabulous and amazing. Absolutely fantastic and as a first time cruiser I was in awe. 

Are there lines that wouldn't have so much 50s entertainment? Virgin, I think, would cater to people younger than me so that's out. 

29 minutes ago, Sandie5 said:

We were on RCCL and the entertainment was definitely 1950s. Frankee Vallie and Sha Na Na etc. My youth is more 70s & 80s and they didn't have that. However, the shows were still fabulous and amazing. Absolutely fantastic and as a first time cruiser I was in awe. 

Are there lines that wouldn't have so much 50s entertainment? Virgin, I think, would cater to people younger than me so that's out. 

One data point won't tell you much, and it was 6 or 7 years ago, but on my first cruise, which was on Celebrity in the Caribbean I recall a lot of 70s and 80s music, FWIW.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sandie5 said:

I'll throw out ideas randomly in hopes that something will stick:

• I'm surprised any Royal ship would have such a focus on the 50s these days.  The cruise either must have been a while ago or you must have been heading to Alaska.
  • There are several charter music themed cruises that feature music and performers from the 70s and 80s.  Some are more specialized than others (e.g., rock, R&B, dance), which may or may not be your preference.
  • Princess has offered some 80s themed cruises in the recent past.  They did a fairly good job of being on-theme for the whole cruise with mostly tribute bands in the main theater, mostly 80s-related trivia onboard, and some other activities from that decade.  I still think they're going to offer some for late this year into early '24, but they haven't done it yet. ☹️
  • Carnival, on their longer Journeys cruises, has a dedicated 80s day with trivia and other activities focusing on that decade.
  • Many of Carnival's Playlist productions in the main theater have music from the 70s and 80s.  Don't ask about the plots, just enjoy the music. 🙂
  • I saw a show on the Celebrity Millennium called Boogie Wonderland which, with its thin plot, celebrated the music of the 70s.
  • Most of the cruises I've been on have had at least something for the 70s and 80s - a silent disco session, karaoke, trivia, etc. 

I hope this has been helpful for you.

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Holland America, on most ships have the BBKing group, and on their 3 newest ships have, in addition, the Rolling Stone Lounge. Mostly 70s music.

Definitely more 60's and 70's than 80's, from one who graduated HS in 1981. I felt like the playlist on Westerdam in April was targeted to someone about a decade older than me.

To the OP, I think ships are incrementally adding newer music to their repertoires as people age and move into the "typical" cruising demographic. I love 80s music and I seem to hear more of it each time I cruise. I think Celebrity has more of it than, say, Princess or HAL. A production show with music from Queen is one I recall. They even have some 90s music.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'll throw out ideas randomly in hopes that something will stick:

• I'm surprised any Royal ship would have such a focus on the 50s these days.  The cruise either must have been a while ago or you must have been heading to Alaska.
  •  

That cruise was RCCL out of Tampa in January 2023. There were people who liked that music but there many were only in their 30s and 40s. 

Hoping my next cruises will be better. 

2 hours ago, Sandie5 said:

That cruise was RCCL out of Tampa in January 2023. There were people who liked that music but there many were only in their 30s and 40s. 

Hoping my next cruises will be better. 

I'm still shaking my head, but thanks for the update. I think almost any other cruise you take will make you happier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Definitely more 60's and 70's than 80's, from one who graduated HS in 1981. I felt like the playlist on Westerdam in April was targeted to someone about a decade older than me.

I guess that's why it sounded familiar to me on the Rotterdam. It's so easy to forget how old I am.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sandie5 said:

RCI Barcelona to Tampa (that wound up being to Orlando) on the Rhapsody OTS was definitely 70s-80s. As in an Afro-Disco performance in the Attrium and an Elton John tribute (or was it a parody) in the main theatre. 

On beyond in June nearly allmofnthe entertainment music wise was either Latin American or soul.

Pretty sure that was because that was what the cruise director was in to.

Some of it was decent enough for 45 minutes. Other bits were rubbish to me but others enjoyed it seemingly.

You can't cater for everyone though.

Late 70s early 80s would be great for me. As long as it was a tribute to punk music.

If its disco from the 70s, or british new romantic from the 80s then keep it.

I can't imagine a night on celebrity where the main show is a tribute to Ramones, the Clash and the sex pistols.

I might be the only one there.

• Like 1

We do a 70’s music cruise charter every year, it’s more expensive than regular but have seen some great acts America, Boz Scaggs, Michael McDonald, Mellisa Manchester, etc etc , next years has Don McLean, Dave Mason and many others , next years is sold out. Same company offers 50’s, 60’s disco and others.

70's Disco, British invasion and Motown are slowly being phased out. 80's music like Queen, Whitney Houston, Billy Joel, Elton John, Tina Turner and others are in. May as well. Getting tired of the same old YMCA /Disco theme acts.

18 hours ago, DarrenM said:

On beyond in June nearly allmofnthe entertainment music wise was either Latin American or soul.

Pretty sure that was because that was what the cruise director was in to.

Some of it was decent enough for 45 minutes. Other bits were rubbish to me but others enjoyed it seemingly.

You can't cater for everyone though.

Late 70s early 80s would be great for me. As long as it was a tribute to punk music.

If its disco from the 70s, or british new romantic from the 80s then keep it.

I can't imagine a night on celebrity where the main show is a tribute to Ramones, the Clash and the sex pistols.

I am a huge Ramonas fan.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 10:38 PM, DarrenM said:

I am Spartacus,  direct descendent of the famous philosopher Comicus.

Daphne cannot be Spartacus if I am Spartacus and somebody else is Spartacus.  Something has to be different,  yet similar amongst us all.  You will not be the only one in attendance.   Imagine what what happend if we all called out "I am Spartacus"

I have recently been to the Galapagos,  and to the UK,  Canterbury, in fact,  to study the works of Charles Darwin and what he had to face to ask Royal Society to Heave To and think things through,  and low and behold you have this theory that challenged conventional thinking  and he now finds himself interned in the holiest of holy places.    I cannot understand why Iam Fleming has not been honored in the same way?

My point is that,  Music and Rock and Roll,  may be the singlemost common denominator that cruisers have in common,  and if we never put forth a singular voice, to rally the forces,   then the Romans will never allow us to let Rock and Roll the seven seas and we will continue to be eaten alive by bad entertainmentwhen we cruise.   Should we not also be looking  at musical tastes as Genus to Species?   

As for naming rights to the music genre,   I think that @cruisemom42 has dibs on Spartacus-Gothus, from a previous post IIRC,  I have dibs on Spartacus-Rockus and that leaves either Spartacus-Punkus and a bunch of other sub-species to be named with the remainder of the musical genre spectrum.

I am Spartacus-Rockus

Edited by JRG
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 11:38 PM, DarrenM said:

You and my husband. He still wears his Ramones t-shirt. He would be happy if you added in a bunch of classic Elvis Costello. 

• Like 1

We primarily sail on Celebrity and I would say that the majority of the music is 80s and newer. I hear some 70s stuff - mostly classic disco - however, there's usually an ABBA show and on our last cruise there was a show in the Sky Lounge featuring a lot of Queen music. I guess both of those bands could be classified as 70s or 80s. I'm showing my bias toward 80s music, I guess 😉

The Silent Disco parties always seem to have at least one station that is classic rock. 

On 8/5/2023 at 6:44 PM, Sandie5 said:

Currently on Celebrity Summit and day 2's shows 7 & 9 PM were a takeoff of Frankie Valle, etc. day 3 a tribute to Aretha Franklin.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JRG said:

I am Spartacus,  direct descendent of the famous philosopher Comicus.

Daphne cannot be Spartacus if I am Spartacus and somebody else is Spartacus.  Something has to be different,  yet similar amongst us all.  You will not be the only one in attendance.   Imagine what what happend if we all called out "I am Spartacus"

I have recently been to the Galapagos,  and to the UK,  Canterbury, in fact,  to study the works of Charles Darwin and what he had to face to ask Royal Society to Heave To and think things through,  and low and behold you have this theory that challenged conventional thinking  and he now finds himself interned in the holiest of holy places.    I cannot understand why Iam Fleming has not been honored in the same way?

My point is that,  Music and Rock and Roll,  may be the singlemost common denominator that cruisers have in common,  and if we never put forth a singular voice, to rally the forces,   then the Romans will never allow us to let Rock and Roll the seven seas and we will continue to be eaten alive by bad entertainmentwhen we cruise.   Should we not also be looking  at musical tastes as Genus to Species?   

As for naming rights to the music genre,   I think that @cruisemom42 has dibs on Spartacus-Gothus, from a previous post IIRC,  I have dibs on Spartacus-Rockus and that leaves either Spartacus-Punkus and a bunch of other sub-species to be named with the remainder of the musical genre spectrum.

I am Spartacus-Rockus

I think I understand this post.