I guess we missed the announcements. So now we pay for…?

gottagocit

5 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

And I read somewhere they’re not even given all the new beanies to the folks who pre-purchased the packages at the lower cost! At least I think that’s what I read. This all just makes me want to forget cruising. It just never ends. The pencil pushers are ruining this company.

What company is not run by pencil pushers ?  Look at how much it costs to go to Disneyland. Are there that many new rides ?  I don’t think so

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gottagocit said:

Thanks to you all for helping me catch up.
It’s dang frustrating to see these price increases continue to come one after the another after the another.

Just let it be for a while, Carival/Princess! The financial outlook for you is being sold to investors as having turned the corner and finally over covid. Don’t screw it up and drive it back into the dirt by getting greedy!  

Not Just Carnival/Princess

This article mentions just about every kind of  consumer companies except cruise lines.  They are all doing the same thing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/05/companies-crack-down-on-customer-perks-and-rewards-like-airline-miles.html

KEY POINTS
  • A range of companies are pulling back on perks as they chase higher margins.
  • From airport lounges to free shipping and birthday treats, consumers are seeing fewer freebies as businesses rethink how they want to inspire loyalty.
  • The shift has come with a change in spending habits.

40 minutes ago, memoak said:

What company is not run by pencil pushers ?  Look at how much it costs to go to Disneyland. Are there that many new rides ?  I don’t think so

The funny thing is that Disney with all their increases over the years, still honors their tickets purchased years ago, no matter what you paid.

We've still got one 3 day ticket left. 

You can't say the same for Princess. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, there is a one-time charge per guest for using Ocean Now to order food/drink via the App or cabin TV.  If you can arrange it so that only one guest orders all, you can get by with one service charge of $15.  A phone call to Room Service to order something is $5 - per call, but that is covered if you have already paid the $15 fee.

A phone call to room service is still $5.00 each time, even if you pay the $15.00 fee correct?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ldtr said:

consumers are seeing fewer freebies as businesses rethink how they want to inspire loyalty.

With most companies moving to 'Pay More; Get Less", there will be no such thing as business/ company / brand loyalty.  We are Platinum on Princess, but have no qualms looking at other travel companies & cruise lines for the best itinerary, price & perks that suit us for each trip.  

Edited by vakamalua
  • Like 2

I'm old enough and experienced enough that most of this nickel and diming will not affect me, and in fact I get a little kick out of pushing back with my workarounds.  I cruise to be at sea, not to see how much I can eat and drink.  I can always seem to find something to eat in a venue that doesn't cost extra. The Horizon Court has enough variety to keep me from wasting away   I enjoy a wee dream or two in the P&E lounge in the evening. If I want a chi chi coffee, I carry my own International Delight Swiss Mocha and mix my own.  

A bad day at sea is still better than a good day at the office.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

Princess is so hard up for money they raise prices then give money to the LA Rams for a sponsorship. I wonder how many millions the Rams are making off something most cruisers could care less about.

https://www.therams.com/news/princess-cruises-los-angeles-hometown-cruise-line-official-cruise-vacation#:~:text=As the Official Cruise Line,on the iconic Infinity Screen.

For @gottagocit, I can say that NFL Football is about the biggest sport in USA for fans and sports betting, etc.  It's not a national NFL partnership and television viewers may not even be aware.  Hopefully, it nets PCL some benefit.  I wouldn't call it "giving" money to the Rams.  They do get advertising benefit out of it and it is a large market for attracting folks to cruising on the west coast.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yeah I realize that. Until the last few years I was also a huge fan of the sport also but not primarily follow college football more than any others. 

I wasn’t going to go there in an obvious manner but you’ve tricked it out of me…I was more referring to them supporting the Rams than anything. Lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

The funny thing is that Disney with all their increases over the years, still honors their tickets purchased years ago, no matter what you paid.

We've still got one 3 day ticket left. 

You can't say the same for Princess. 

But my old E tickets are not any good even for the Matterhorn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, gottagocit said:

So the next axe to drop will be higher cost for the packages since they’re worth so much now…

Nah…I take that back. Time to slice off a few benefits from the elite or platinum loyalty levels and sell them as a special new level that comes with a surcharge. 

All of this is coming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vakamalua said:

With most companies moving to 'Pay More; Get Less", there will be no such thing as business/ company / brand loyalty. 

Loyalty for most businesses  are deteriorating rapidly. Cruise lines are the same.  They are currently filling the ships regardless of loyalty programs

3 hours ago, gottagocit said:

And I read somewhere they’re not even given all the new beanies to the folks who pre-purchased the packages at the lower cost! At least I think that’s what I read. This all just makes me want to forget cruising. It just never ends. The pencil pushers are ruining this company.

Yep. That seems to anger folks the most.  They paid for something included when they booked and paid,  now they have to pay more for it.  And the cruise line has your money in the bank drawing interest as well.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'm old enough and experienced enough that most of this nickel and diming will not affect me, and in fact I get a little kick out of pushing back with my workarounds.  I cruise to be at sea, not to see how much I can eat and drink.  I can always seem to find something to eat in a venue that doesn't cost extra. The Horizon Court has enough variety to keep me from wasting away   I enjoy a wee dream or two in the P&E lounge in the evening. If I want a chi chi coffee, I carry my own International Delight Swiss Mocha and mix my own.  

A bad day at sea is still better than a good day at the office.

You sound like me. Ultimately I can make this work.  When they start forcing packages or not allowing you to bring drinks on at embarkation or ports, then they will see me no more.

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

World cruise on Princess usually = 4 sectors. The Ocean Now charge is listed per voyage. I wonder if that will translate to a per sector charge?

Most WC'ers are booking the full 111+ days from either FL or LA (notwithstanding the Australian sector WC) and how about only getting 2 visits total for casual dining?  Seems nuts.

PCL has stated to date that if guest books a logical voyage they will have one service charge, but if they book several physical voyages (sectors say), then the charge is per voyage.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gottagocit said:

AND If you don’t pay for the overpriced plus or premier packages 

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but in my opinion, the Plus package is the best value in cruising.  For 60 a day you get the same items that would cost just over 100 a day on Carnival, more on Celebrity and more than twice as much on RCI.  My DH and I only indulge while we're on vacation, so a slow day would be about 10 and a good day over 15 between the two of us.  Plus iced espresso, San Pellegrino to stay hydrated and cans of Coke Zero.  Great value for us, even @60 per day.

9 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Oh you are going to get it now.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, vakamalua said:

With most companies moving to 'Pay More; Get Less", there will be no such thing as business/ company / brand loyalty.  We are Platinum on Princess, but have no qualms looking at other travel companies & cruise lines for the best itinerary, price & perks that suit us for each trip.  

Truth be told, brand loyalty and stuff like CC, air miles, reward points are a psychological scam. Sadly, chasing the best deals is better than sticking with a sole providers loyalty program.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but in my opinion, the Plus package is the best value in cruising.  For 60 a day you get the same items that would cost just over 100 a day on Carnival, more on Celebrity and more than twice as much on RCI.  My DH and I only indulge while we're on vacation, so a slow day would be about 10 and a good day over 15 between the two of us.  Plus iced espresso, San Pellegrino to stay hydrated and cans of Coke Zero.  Great value for us, even @60 per day.

I have no problem with the pricing of plus, or even premier on shorter cruises. Great value for us, but for most it isn't about comparing the price of packages or specialty restaurants. 

What about the people, and I figure it is still a large %, that are not Plus fare kinda people. The ones that don't drink much, or won't drink much because of the prices. The ones that just want the inclusive stuff when they board. The ones that had a coffee card so they could drink inclusive coffees and teas without getting their card punched. The ones that used to get free internet minutes for their elite status. The ones that will no longer dine at Alfredo's or get room service because there is a charge. The ones for which cruising becomes a less inclusive holiday year-by-year. The ones that could get service without a phone in their hand. These are the loyal elite status cruisers from the past generation for which other cruise lines are looking more attractive with each of these changes. Thanks for your loyalty.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cruzbw said:

I read a posting on another cruise forum, not Cruise Critic, but a Facebook forum that there's going to be a change with the Movie Under the Stars on September 1.  It will be Closed Captioned, sound off, and Plus and Premier passengers will be given headphones to listen in. I don't know if there's any validity to this, and have not seen reference to this on CC. As a Standard Fare passenger that I am, this won't be very attractive watching a concert.

Popcorn will still be free for Plus, with special caramel popcorn & reserved seating for premier. 😉

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Most WC'ers are booking the full 111+ days from either FL or LA (notwithstanding the Australian sector WC) and how about only getting 2 visits total for casual dining?  Seems nuts.

PCL has stated to date that if guest books a logical voyage they will have one service charge, but if they book several physical voyages (sectors say), then the charge is per voyage.

Nuts indeed, but I won't be paying for premier on a 57-night half world cruise, but a single service charge is encouraging.

• Like 1