Anchorage and Seward Logistics

alaskaboy2

Next June we'll be taking a Royal cruise from Seward to Vancouver. Our past Alaskan cruises have always been Seattle to Seattle so this will be something new for us.
We'll be getting to Anchorage on the Tuesday before the Friday cruise. In Seattle we used our our arranged transport from our hotel to the pier, and used RCC's transfer from the pier to the airport.

I presume they'll have something similar on the final day, transfer from the pier to the airport. But prior to the cruise, on the Friday, I saw a photo someplace of a full check-in at the Dena’ina Civic and Convention Center and then a bus to Seward.

Does anyone know how that works?

Specific questions would be:

• Do they offer shuttle service between area hotels and the convention center? A previous cruise with both Princess and Holland did that in Seattle.

Is there such a check in at the convention center, along with a bus to Seward?

• Is there a similar option through RCC for the train to Seward (check in at the convention center, leave the luggage with them, check in, etc)?

I am wanting to start looking at hotel options but before I do I want to know as much as I can about these questions and options.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

We just completed a cruise on Radiance from Seward to Vancouver a little over a week ago. We booked the train from Anchorage to Seward through our travel agent. To get from our hotel to the train depot we took an Uber. There is an area at the depot to drop off your luggage, which will then appear at your stateroom on the ship. To get from the depot in Seward to the cruise ship, there is a free shuttle, or it's a quick 10 minute walk if you don't have any carryon baggage.

• Like 3

Where did you stay in Anchorage?  Do you recommend it?

So RCC had some official presence at the train depot?  Since I don't use a travel agent I'd do this myself.  If there is an official presence by RCC that would make life easier.

10 minutes ago, alaskaboy2 said:

So RCC had some official presence at the train depot?  Since I don't use a travel agent I'd do this myself.  If there is an official presence by RCC that would make life easier.

When in June? We are on the 6/21 sailing, with a pre cruise land tour starting Wed.

Flying to Anchorage on the Sunday before to adjust to time change and t have a couple of days to do stuff in Anchorage.

2 hours ago, alaskaboy2 said:

The same - June 21.  We land on that Tuesday to explore Anchorage and surrounding areas.

So far, except for a couple of brewpubs we found, no set plans for Anchorage

We will probably take the bus tour around town on Tues after dropping off the bags at the Marriott,which is where RCL is putting us as part of the land tour.

For the other nights, as of now we are staying at the Home 2 Suites

https://goo.gl/maps/Hwpb8KZxd8RVjhgY7

12 minutes ago, ngrund said:

So far, except for a couple of brewpubs we found, no set plans for Anchorage

We will probably take the bus tour around town on Tues after dropping off the bags at the Marriott,which is where RCL is putting us as part of the land tour.

For the other nights, as of now we are staying at the Home 2 Suites

https://goo.gl/maps/Hwpb8KZxd8RVjhgY7

I'm likely going to rent a car and do some exploring.   Pretty much - 319 days away - can't wait.  LOL

3 hours ago, alaskaboy2 said:

We've stayed in 3 different hotels on 3 different occasions. We've stayed at the Fairfield, The Holiday Inn Express and the Alex Hotel. All 3 of those are relatively close to the airport and I would recommend all 3. We had a rental car on all 3 trips so getting around was not an issue for us.

Edited by cruiseguy1016
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HicksRA said:

We booked the train from Anchorage to Seward through Royal. It left from the airport and ended only a few steps from the ship. 

And we've done the cruiseline transfer train from Seward to ANC. Couldn't have been easier.

2 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

If you are renting a car,you can drive from Anhorage to Seward as well.  When we went there was not a drop off fee.

Now THAT'S interesting.  🙂  That just became a thing.  Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alaskaboy2 said:

I'm likely going to rent a car and do some exploring.   Pretty much - 319 days away - can't wait.  LOL

That is what we did in 2018 and loved it.  This is a great drive with lots of places to stop.  The mile marker notations are great and makes it easy to find everything.

https://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can book the train direct with the Alaskan railroad or through Royal.   Direct offers Goldstar service with a dome car or regular service.  In the past the charter train through Royal didn't have goldstar services.  

When booked direct the train uses the general downtown train station in Anchorage and a general purpose station in Seward.   When booked as a charter train through Royal it leaves from the airport station in Anchorage and terminates at the cruise ship pier.   

The train direct leaves early in the day,  the charter train later in the day.   

Either way once you hand your luggage to the train in Anchorage it is delivered outside your cabin door on the ship.    

In Seward they offer complimentary motorcoach service from direct train station for the ~ 1 mile distance to the pier.   I've walked it both times I booked direct.  Took about 15 minutes.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, alaskaboy2 said:

Now THAT'S interesting.  🙂  That just became a thing.  Thanks.

If you have a car rented, I recommend keeping it for one more day and driving to Seward. The drive is gorgeous. If you have your own transportation, you can stop where, when and for how long you want.

9 hours ago, alaskaboy2 said:

We just did the southbound itinerary in June on Radiance.  I booked the Alaska Railroad (Goldstar) myself directly on the website.  We stayed at the springhill suites Anchorage Midtown.  They had  a free uber/lyft service.  I called from the airport and they sent an Uber at no cost to us.  

we used lyft to get to the train depot.  You put your cruise luggage tags on your luggage before boarding the train and you won’t see them again until you get to your cabin on the ship.  The train drops you really close to the ship in Seward.  The Seward terminal is technically walkable but it was raining and a bit chilly. We opted to take the shuttle bus that were waiting directly outside the train stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in Alaska. Royal Caribbean uses Premier Alaska Tours as their vendor for hosting/guiding/transporting in Alaska. Your thought about taking the train is truly the best.the scenery is beautiful, and you get to see a valley inaccessible by cars. It takes longer than the bud, but its more comfy. Book directly through Alaska Railroad to save money, or book through Royal for convenience. I recommend staying downtown at either the Captain Cook, Marriott, Hilton, or Sheraton in that order. They’re all within 5 min of the train depot and 10 min of the airport. We have Uber and Lyft if you choose to go the independent route. If you stay at the Hilton, you can even walk to the train depot down a hill. Once in Seward, there’s a shuttle (school bus) to the cruise terminal, or you can walk about half a mile. Seward is small. Happy planning!

• Thanks 2

We have done Seward to Vancouver twice.  2 couples.

Arrive 4-5 days early at Anchorage airport.

Rent a big SUV at the airport. (best for elk strikes)

Make the scenic drive to Denali.

Stay at a hotel for 2-3 days in Denali. (reservations ASAP) I recommend Denali Bluffs.

Make the trip into the national park.

Make the scenic drive back to Anchorage.

Hotel and dinner in Anchorage.

Take the early AM train to Seward.  Make your own train reservations.

Embark morning, take a taxi to the train station.

Drop your RCI luggage at the tent to the right of the train. (RCI will take your luggage via truck directly to your cabin)

Enjoy your scenic train ride to Seward.

Short walk to the ship.

• Thanks 2

I don't know how much the train costs but we took the bus (ACT?)from the airport to Seward, it dropped us off right at the terminal. I just looked it up, it's alaskacruisetransfer dot com. Large clean tour buses and there were more than one going from the airport to Seward. Then all you would have to do is get back to the airport from your hotel.

Edited by wolfcathorse
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I recommend staying downtown at either the Captain Cook, Marriott, Hilton, or Sheraton in that order. They’re all within 5 min of the train depot and 10 min of the airport.

We stayed at the Downtown Marriott a few years ago and it was great for us. 

5 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

I don't know how much the train costs but we took the bus (ACT?)from the airport to Seward, it dropped us off right at the terminal. I just looked it up, it's alaskacruisetransfer dot com. Large clean tour buses and there were more than one going from the airport to Seward. Then all you would have to do is get back to the airport from your hotel.

Seems like when we went, the train ride was $40 more than the bus. Worth every extra penny. 

• Like 1

That train ride (we didn't do it through RCL) was worth every penny, and we would do it again in a heart beat.  We've also done the drive (over 30 years ago!) and while it's amazing too, the train was better.  We went a day early to have some time in Seward (which, again, we visited over 30 years ago, so we wanted to see how it changed) but unless you have that nostalgia, I'd just take it the day of, and then do the luggage transfer yourself.

If you are spending a few days in Anchorage, the BEST excursion we have ever been on was the “26 Glacier tour”.  

Pick up was at the Captain Cook hotel, which by the way we feel is the nicest hotel  in town.  We have also stayed at Hilton and another, I believe Marriott.

For 26 glacier a bus will transport you down to Whittier about an hour scenic drive down the Turnagain Arm.  Whittier itself is interesting, but not much other to do as it’s so small the entire population lives in one, 190 unit building. It is flat out beautiful.

If you have a car and want to see a beautiful rustic neat ol place, drive up the main highway to Talkeetna for shopping, lunch, and don’t miss Shirley's ice cream. 

Eddie

• Thanks 1