Lahaina Maui as port of call

mrgabriel

We are on Solstice next month and one of our ports of call is Lahaina. It’s absolutely horrible what has happened on Maui and I feel for everyone who has been touched by this tragedy. 

I assume that the ship will go no where near Lahaina. Any ideas of what Celebrity may do with that day? A sea day would be fine with me. Don’t want to take resources away from the recovery effort but I also know that those in port rely on the income from visitors. There’s probably no right answer. 

• Like 3

My oldest son lives in Kona,  fire in Kohala is under control for now and another in Hilo area. Kona is fine and could certainly be a port for Solstice.  Kona will be a tender port and has stopped there many times. Enjoy your cruise no matter where they choose.

• Like 1

Agree, once Maui welcomes tourists again, docking in Kahului is the natural replacement for tendering off Lahaina.  In the meantime, overnights in Honolulu (Oahu), Nawiliwili (Kauai), and both Kona and Hilo (Big Island) are the most likely substitutions.  All of these are enjoyable for overnighters.

• Like 2

From the reports and pictures, it looks like Lahaina was pretty devastated.  May be a long time before visitors go there.  Not sure how much of Front street in Lahaina was left not burned. 

People say it’s too soon to think about this.  I know what it’s like to lose a home and be part of an event like this. There is a way to be respectful but still make plans that affect you.  I’m a project manager and I think it is smart for Celebrity to revise their internal plans even if they don’t publish them at this time.

• Like 5

We’re heart sick seeing the photos of downtown Lahaina and the loss of lives.  We were just there this past May on the Hawaiian cruise.  Our daughter’s friend lives there and lost her home.  Just so sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Prayers and donations are all we can do for now!  

Agreed.  I think of everyone who lost their livelihood.  Store owners, local artists etc.  If someone has an internet presence I will try to support them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vickykay said:

We’re heart sick seeing the photos of downtown Lahaina and the loss of lives.  We were just there this past May on the Hawaiian cruise.  Our daughter’s friend lives there and lost her home.  Just so sad.

Yes, we too were there in May, on Eclipse, B2B so we had 3 full days in Lahaina, including an overnight.  To see Front St TOTALLY destroyed, is just shocking.  The banyan tree, Pioneer Inn, the Baldwin estate - the whaling history, the missionary history......so many lives and livelihoods lost - impossible for us to imagine let alone, comprehend.....😭

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zitsky said:

People say it’s too soon to think about this.  I know what it’s like to lose a home and be part of an event like this. There is a way to be respectful but still make plans that affect you.  I’m a project manager and I think it is smart for Celebrity to revise their internal plans even if they don’t publish them at this time.

I agree.  And in point of fact, the OP is talking about a cruise happening soon.  My career was also as a project manager so I am always planning ahead (now retired, but I still can't help it!).

And considering options of course in no way means that we aren't all devastated to hear about the tragedy.  All we can do is donate if we care to, keep them in our prayers if we're religious, and go about managing our own lives.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

Yes, we too were there in May, on Eclipse, B2B so we had 3 full days in Lahaina, including an overnight.  To see Front St TOTALLY destroyed, is just shocking.  The banyan tree, Pioneer Inn, the Baldwin estate - the whaling history, the missionary history......so many lives and livelihoods lost - impossible for us to imagine let alone, comprehend.....😭

I have a friend that lived in Maui/Lahaina.  She said that the Banyan Tree, due to its root system, has a good chance to live...sure hope this is the case, as so much is just gone.  The loss of life is just horrendous.  I have been there many times, but not in the last decade.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bunnyette said:

When the cruise ships are able to stop in Lahaina again, every passenger needs to get off and spend some money.  This lovely town will need it.

I don't see that happening for at least a couple of YEARS.

• Like 1

I don’t believe that cruise ships will be stopping in West Maui/Lahaina for the foreseeable future, probably even for years. It is even in question when tourists will be able to return to the resorts in Kaanapali given the lack of infrastructure (power, water, restaurants grocery stores, gas stations, etc) to support them, not to mention having enough employees to staff the resorts. There are far more questions than answers right now with the first priority being how best to support the residents of West Maui and Lahaina through this tragedy and forward. Please donate to support the people of Lahaina either with cash or by donating miles to Hawaiian or Alaska airlines.

• Like 1