Does Royal need to change their CEO?

12 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Cruises

Celebrity Cruises was founded in 1988 by the Greece-based Chandris Group, and merged with Royal Caribbean Cruise Line in 1997. Celebrity's signature logo is an "Χ" displayed on the funnel of Celebrity ships, and is the Greek letter chi, for "Chandris"

Celebrity Cruises adopted the Chandris "X," which was slightly stylized for their logo. The new line advertised itself as a “Luxury Cruising by Design", with the strategy of offering an upscale product with mass-market pricing. The ships would have refined interiors, destinations and dining, which included a partnership with famed chef Michel Roux, a unique thing for a cruise line at the time. Quoted by then chairman John Chandris, "“We will feature comfort and quality, not glitz and glitter."

Thanks for the share. This is all very interesting, as I had no idea. 

11 hours ago, seasidemama said:

Profitability means not chasing away your customers. Their current strategy is very short sighted.

There is an old but valid mantra in business that 20% of your "customers" cost you more to keep than they contribute to your bottom line, 60% are "break even", and 20% generate your profits. Sound business strategy suggests that you "fire" (encourage through disincentive) the 20% so they move to other suppliers, find ways to encourage the 60% to generate more revenue for the company, and protect the top 20%. I believe you will find if you analyze RCL's current strategy, that is exactly what they are doing.

12 hours ago, seasidemama said:

Plus - good reputation takes a very short time to destroy and very long time to build.  

Agree completely. 

12 hours ago, seasidemama said:

Profitability means not chasing away your customers. Their current strategy is very short sighted.

Yes, that's the point I was making.  

11 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Record deposits, record bookings. The only people being chased away are some people on a message board.

I don't know that a lot of people are actually "chased away", but a lot of people who previously would've just gone to Royal's website are now checking into other lines or are looking at land-based vacations.  That is, people who automatically "knew what they were going to do" are now investigating other options.  

I spoke to someone in real life yesterday who is DONE with Royal.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

There is an old but valid mantra in business that 20% of your "customers" cost you more to keep than they contribute to your bottom line, 60% are "break even", and 20% generate your profits. Sound business strategy suggests that you "fire" (encourage through disincentive) the 20% so they move to other suppliers, find ways to encourage the 60% to generate more revenue for the company, and protect the top 20%. I believe you will find if you analyze RCL's current strategy, that is exactly what they are doing.

This makes 💯 sense…..same strategy works for friends….and I have been known to use it for that

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

'm not done with Royal, but definitely looking elsewhere, except Carnival.

I still want mardi gras or one of her sisters. But I'm waiting for carnival to be less than I can book a balcony on oasis class. So far rcl costs less for me. 

My one 14 day dream next jan was from carnivals birthday celebration. We could pick one for half price. .. hard to pick between jubilee and 14 days on dream to new ports, a unique cruise out of texas. Or that special elongated balcony at half price was reasonable . .. I went with the 14 day but wanted quite a few if the right price. 

Once I get moved where I can uber to a port I'm going to try and cruise even more and yes mardi gras is on my radar. I'm wanting to cruise more not less. 

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I still want mardi gras or one of her sisters. But I'm waiting for carnival to be less than I can book a balcony on oasis class. So far rcl costs less for me. 

My one 14 day dream next jan was from carnivals birthday celebration. We could pick one for half price. .. hard to pick between jubilee and 14 days on dream to new ports, a unique cruise out of texas. Or that special elongated balcony at half price was reasonable . .. I went with the 14 day but wanted quite a few if the right price. 

Once I get moved where I can uber to a port I'm going to try and cruise even more and yes mardi gras is on my radar. I'm wanting to cruise more not less. 

You moving to Florida?  We live an hour twenty from either PC or Tampa and use both for cruises

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

Sorry to hear this but new Celebration has nicer choice of restaurants and better prices. Also Amber Cove has large pool like Coco Cay as well.

Lastly, bed are softer than RCI.

Don't get me wrong I like RCI, but they are not the only one in the industry.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

We are Diamond Plus on Royal as well as Elite Plus on X and have done a few NCL and HAL cruises and if it wasn't for the horrible NYC cruise terminal and the total disorderly mess embarkation and disembarkation days are we would have NO PROBLEM switching.

The ships, food and itineraries on NCL are what we want, more so than Royal or Celebrity and their prices are more than competitive. 

Over the years I went on both cruises and land based trips.  The cruise at one time was most economical, with food, lodging and ports all included.  Where you could just get a beer/wine package, soda, at $3. a day, and some pretty good menu's to eat.  Land based you had to really budget the week, to get a good price, but always higher.

Now, this year, the land based trips are cheaper.  Hotels have been flat.  Food seems to be mostly flat.  Plus, you can beer in grocery stores near a hotel, and buy a case for the price of 2 beers on the ship. What was once more expensive stayed the same, and now is cheaper.  

Land based locations suffered COVID also.  

So, the excuses are over, I will choose based on my budget, and hope the price goes down again.  Who would have imagined that a flight, hotel, food, car rental to Europe being cheaper than a cruise from my home state of Florida.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Now, this year, the land based trips are cheaper.  Hotels have been flat.  Food seems to be mostly flat.  Plus, you can beer in grocery stores near a hotel, and buy a case for the price of 2 beers on the ship. What was once more expensive stayed the same, and now is cheaper.  

Land based locations suffered COVID also.  

Food and hotels actually prices are up, not flat. I guess these are your experiences, not actual facts. Wages are up. Oil year over year was down as were used cars and airline tickets. .. though numbers come in daily. 

As we get past the $100 a barrel oil a year ago the oil comparison will start to look less attractive, and unions are pushing for higher wages. We should hear from the fed later this week hawkish or dove. I personally think inflation over 3% is sticky. Hence my bet for another rate hike. 

Just now, firefly333 said:

Food and hotels actually prices are up, not flat. I guess these are your experiences, not actual facts. Wages are up. Oil year over year was down as were used cars and airline tickets. .. though numbers come in daily. 

As we get past the $100 a barrel oil a year ago the oil comparison will start to look less attractive, and unions are pushing for higher wages. We should hear from the fed later this week hawkish or dove. I personally think inflation over 3% is sticky. Hence my bet for another rate hike. 

10 days to Greece estimated $3500 after food.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Quoted by then chairman John Chandris, "“We will feature comfort and quality, not glitz and glitter."

Is this no longer true?

I've never sail on X but my impression is that it's a more mature, more refined and upscale version vs the Royal brand.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

I'm sure we all have.  But as long as there is someone else to fill the cabin they would have grabbed, it doesn't really matter.

I always think the same thing whenever I see a post about some leaving Royal for good. There will be several more customers to take your place.

I remember reading somewhere that only 15% of the US population have ever been on a cruise ship meaning 85% have never cruised.  Even if you eliminate those that have no desire to cruise, there is still a huge untapped market out there.

• Like 1

I took my first cruise on Royal in 2005 and I have been cruising exclusively with them ever since. I loved sailing with Royal and after trying Carnival once in 2007 I was loyal to Royal.  However, what has me looking at other lines is the less value for the high prices. I still enjoy the food as I am not a picky eater but I have notices the cuts in certain areas. I am fine with paying the price as long as I am getting the same value but if I am paying more just to get less, that is nonsensical to me. I am now looking at cruises on Carnival, Princess and Celebrity for future sailings. I will still sail Royal occasionally but I am definitely not using them for all my cruises anymore. And if I find a line that actually give me better service, that is who will get my money. 

• Like 5

With the price of a cabana on CoCo Cay and the new New York Supper Club on Icon at $200pp money is out there.

Until people stop buying, prices will keep rising

Better to have 10 people paying $200 than 2000 people paying 1$

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Is this no longer true?

I've never sail on X but my impression is that it's a more mature, more refined and upscale version vs the Royal brand.

At present there are no water attractions and things like the Northstar or rock climbing, but the future?

Sailed on Celebrity 23 years ago and earned our elite +, but things as always change and the refined upscale got to be more and more strange to us when they began with the new ship builds and the new management. They used to have white glove service and live music in the MDR along with staff that took your TRAYS in the buffet and seated you at a table.

Now Diamond + on Royal, and fully enjoy all they offer along with the more relaxed atmosphere. You can find anything X offers on R/C cruises. You just have to look.

On one of our last X cruises they began a CHIC dress suggestion, and it was funny to see flip flops and shorts in the MDR. 

We will now stick with R/C for several reasons and keep our eyes open for the things we enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Same here. Starting to look elsewhere. I know there will be others to take my place, but how long will that last if Royal continues to raise prices and continue with the cuts?

Please do your research regarding the financial effects of COVID.  Royal paid out millions in travel agent commissions on cruises that never sailed, as well as all the 125% FCCs to passengers.  Plus the cost of paying and repatriating thousands of crew members during the pandemic.  And the cost of providing financial assistance to travel partners. The billions of dollars they took out in credit won’t repay themselves.  And yes ships started sailing 2 years ago.  But when I was on Navigator of the Seas in Aug 2021 there were only 435 passengers onboard.  And it took over a year to bring all the ships and crew back.  Even then the prices were rock bottom for the first 18 months.  Now that demand is higher, prices will reflect that.  It’s simple economics.  I don’t like paying more for less either.  But as a shareholder I appreciate that they are biding by their fiduciary responsibilities. 

• Like 2

On 8/18/2023 at 9:09 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Michael Bayley made a statement yesterday. There will be no charge for Pizza at Sorrento's. it was just a question on a survey. 

Some insider insight, companies don't ask questions unless they have a specific reason. In the case of Sorrento's pizza it is to see if they should initiate a program to convert  another food operation to charge a fee.

You can take it to the bank that the bean counters have already come up with projected revenue from this change.

• Like 1