Princess as a solo

OTrail

Hi all

I was looking at going on a Princess cruise for the first time and was just wondering if anyone has experience of them as a solo cruiser. Or even just experiences of Princess in general. I've only ever been on a Marella cruise before which, I think, is quite different to Princess. What's the dining experience like, is it same table every night? What's the dress code in the dining rooms? Do Princess have events/meet ups for solo travellers? Can I book shore excursions with Princess? Are there quiet areas I can sit and read without being in my cabin all the time?

The ship is going to be the Sky Princess and I was planning on booking a balcony cabin.

1 hour ago, OTrail said:

Hi all

I was looking at going on a Princess cruise for the first time and was just wondering if anyone has experience of them as a solo cruiser. Or even just experiences of Princess in general. I've only ever been on a Marella cruise before which, I think, is quite different to Princess. What's the dining experience like, is it same table every night? What's the dress code in the dining rooms? Do Princess have events/meet ups for solo travellers? Can I book shore excursions with Princess? Are there quiet areas I can sit and read without being in my cabin all the time?

The ship is going to be the Sky Princess and I was planning on booking a balcony cabin.

I've cruised Princess three times since 2021, all solo, though none on the Sky.  

I've never dined in the MDR, so I'll let others explain the experience there.  They do have meetups for solo travelers most days.  I've never attended any, so again I'll let others explain what happens there.  You can book shore excursions directly with Princess.  I didn't find it too difficult to find places to sit and read onboard.  They may not be super quiet (especially later in the day), but they were quiet enough for my purposes.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for and I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise. 🙂

• Like 2

Just now, Honolulu Blue said:

I've cruised Princess three times since 2021, all solo, though none on the Sky.  

I've never dined in the MDR, so I'll let others explain the experience there.  They do have meetups for solo travelers most days.  I've never attended any, so again I'll let others explain what happens there.  You can book shore excursions directly with Princess.  I didn't find it too difficult to find places to sit and read onboard.  They may not be super quiet (especially later in the day), but they were quiet enough for my purposes.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for and I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise. 🙂

Thanks! Puts my mind at ease that another solo traveller replied, and even if you didn't attend knowing the option is there for arranged meet ups for solo travellers is very helpful for me

• Thanks 1

Although I have not traveled as a solo, I can answer some of your questions. On many cruises, the solos make connections on the roll call and will often make arrangements for a table together. I have dined solo myself many times. You can either sit alone if you prefer or join a table, which is usually 5 to 10 people. If you choose traditional dining you can have the same table with the same people at the same time with the same wait staff each night or go to anytime dining where where you can dine when and how you want. Dress code is quite casual, I wouldn't worry about it and you will find lots of threads on this form about the dress code. You can book shore excursions with Princess and, again, I have done so as a solo and never felt uncomfortable.  You can also find a roll call for your cruise and book private excursions with a group if that suits you. There are many places on the ship to sit and read, although I must admit, sometimes finding a place inside with no music can be a challenge. Most ships have libraries,  but some of the newer ones do not. My husband is not a great traveler, so I often find myself doing dinner, excursions, activities on my own. Never a problem.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, cjpj said:

Although I have not traveled as a solo, I can answer some of your questions. On many cruises, the solos make connections on the roll call and will often make arrangements for a table together. I have dined solo myself many times. You can either sit alone if you prefer or join a table, which is usually 5 to 10 people. If you choose traditional dining you can have the same table with the same people at the same time with the same wait staff each night or go to anytime dining where where you can dine when and how you want. Dress code is quite casual, I wouldn't worry about it and you will find lots of threads on this form about the dress code. You can book shore excursions with Princess and, again, I have done so as a solo and never felt uncomfortable.  You can also find a roll call for your cruise and book private excursions with a group if that suits you. There are many places on the ship to sit and read, although I must admit, sometimes finding a place inside with no music can be a challenge. Most ships have libraries,  but some of the newer ones do not. My husband is not a great traveler, so I often find myself doing dinner, excursions, activities on my own. Never a problem.

Wow, this is very helpful thanks for the reply. Especially regarding the dining, I thought it was going to be "you have a set time every evening with the same people at the same table" so really good to hear I can go and join different people each time. Will definitely check out the roll call for when the cruise comes along (not until May '25 so a while to go yet)

What's the dining experience like, is it same table every night?

You can dine in one of the 3 Main Dining Rooms alone or join others. They all have the same menu. There is no traditional same table/same waiter dining. You make a reservation on the Princess Medallion App or in the on line version. You can select same time same DR every evening or a different time each evening. You can also just walk up and ask to be seated. You can also dine in the World Fresh Market Place buffet any time. It is open from 6am until around 11pm every day. There are also specialty restaurants, Crown Grill, Sabatini's & The Catch. These have an upcharge. You make reservations on line pre-cruise. The cost is charged directly to your credit card. You can also wait until you board and see what times are available. There are also a number of casual restaurants which are $15 each. If you have the plus fare you can dine at two of them without charge. Unlimited casual dining is included in the premium fare. Dress in the main DRs is smart casual most evenings. There will be some formal evenings. Formal dress is anything from smart casual to formal and everything in between.

Do Princess have events/meet ups for solo travellers?

Normally yes, but they may not be well attended.  Another option is to join the Cruise Critic Roll Call for your specific cruise. I have seen very active roll calls with lots of get togethers and private tours planned, and I have seen roll calls that are not active at all. You never know in advance.

Can I book shore excursions with Princess?

Yes. You can do this pre-cruise on line. Cost is charged directly to your credit card when booked. If you have OBC you can use it to cover all or some of the cost of excursions. You can also wait and book excursions after you board. There probably will be limited excursions available on board.

Are there quiet areas I can sit and read without being in my cabin all the time?

There probably will not be many truly quiet areas. During daytime hours you can try on of the lounges that open later in the day. There are also sections above the Lido Pools which are kind of out of the way of most traffic and people. You have to search around. Gathering areas tend to change each cruise depending on the passengers. 

• Like 2

Have you considered booking a spot in the Sanctuary?  

I traveled solo several times when my DH couldn't get away from work.  I usually booked the Sanctuary so that I would have a specific place to relax outside of my cabin.

B

• Like 2

I cruise with my hubby but he has mobility issues and usually doesn't get off the ship so I do Princess excursions by myself.  There are usually others alone on the bus and I've shared the time with them and had a lot of fun.. I am fine with walking around town on my own if there are no safety concerns.  It actually gives you more flexibility to see and do what you want. I hope you have a great cruise.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OTrail said:

Hi all

I have done 10 Princess cruises in 20 years, 2 solo.

Dress code--last summer Caribbean Princess allowed shorts in DR, but that may not be fleet wide.

I'd say overall cruising attire is more casual; business casual for dinners nightly is acceptable.

Dining depends if you choose set dining or anytime dining; we usually choose anytime, come early & if we find a waiter/tablemates we like, we set a time with them nightly. Or just ask for that waiter when arriving.

There are solo events; on Caribbean no one came & I didn't go on Ruby. I met people at dinner, trivia, sitting at the bar, as well as Roll Calls here (or groups on other social media...).

Yes, there are shore excursions available, but typically you can find the same or similar tours cheaper on TripAdvisor, Viator, etc.

PLENTY of quiet places on a Princess ship! Now, an area that is quiet for a while my host trivia for 45 min, but will usually be pretty quiet before & after. 

We don't need a balcony but I do find on a solo trip with warm weather a balcony is a nice escape.

• Like 3

Thanks folks this has all been really helpful! Definitely swaying towards booking it and reading everyone's experiences has already notched up the excitement :classic_laugh:

Going to have a look on YouTube for some videos of the ship and read some reviews, look at some pics.

Thanks again all!

• Like 2

Will chime in as someone who took their first solo cruise earlier this year and with Princess (Discovery). 

I only ate in the MDR for lunch, which was thoroughly enjoyable despite never having the same table or server. The staff was very accommodating to me being a solo diner and had me looking forward to returning every day. Since I had decent OBC and specialty dining credits, I had dinners at all the specialty spots. I will say that the service in the MDR for lunch was better than the experience at a couple of the specialty restaurants (I'm looking at you Crown Grill), but overall I enjoyed meals across the ship. With the exception of formal night, attire for dinner was usually smart casual - it was rare that I saw anyone in super casual dress for dinners, but there were some. 

There was a meet-up for solo travelers, but I never attended. Part of going solo, at least for me, was to really get away, so meet-ups or planned events (including excursions) were things I avoided. Instead, I would find a quiet spot in the afternoon at a lounge/bar to read my book/news/socials, then head back to my cabin for a glass (or two) of wine before preparing for dinner. May sound dull and boring for some, but it was exactly what I needed. 

While I know other cruise lines my do a better job of catering to solo travelers, I selected Princess because the pricing was better overall, especially with the upgraded package. Plus I didn't want to be stuck in a small, interior solo cabin. If I don't have a balcony, then I'm not cruising. 

• Like 7

Just completed my first solo cruise on Crown Princess. Many posters on Cruise Critic reported such positive experiences that I felt confident that I would like it. Thank you to all those that shared those reports. I am familiar with Princess in most areas; it is my brand of choice and has met my needs for more than several decades of travel.

Without repeating what others have already stated, it worked out well for me in every regard. All dining venues accommodated my requests without any trouble. I was happy at every turn. I met people when I wanted to be social and kept to myself when I wanted that time alone.

Very liberating to be cruising alone. All the food, drinks and service one could wish for. I travelled to AK for this first time solo experience since I have been to all of the ports here many times. Next solo adventure will be to new destinations. I'm feeling brave now.

Enjoy your solo adventures - in 2025? Take one sooner! I strongly recommend it! Bon Voyage @OTrail

Edited by CruzeQueen2
adding info
  • Like 4

I always cruise solo, and Princess is quite nice. You request dining time and a private or shared table in their app or on your tv. I like privacy, so I usually dine late and ask for a distanced table. Princess doesn't have deckside gimmicks, so there are plenty of secluded areas to be alone, and Sky has some outdoor seating aft on deck 7 close to the water where few people visit. The retreat pool area also gets few visitors, since most want to watch the screen by the main pools. The same is true of the wake view bar--I like to take buffet food out there. The buffet also is huge, so you can find secluded areas there. The atrium is also a good place to hang out, particularly early, when I get coffee and breakfast and sit by a window to watch sunrises. Best thing for solos is that you get double cruise credits, so you can get to Platinum or Elite status based on number of cruises, not total cruise nights.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone, very helpful! @CruzeQueen2 @rj59 thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm feeling more comfortable about things now. The ship's a lot bigger than I'm used to but I'm sure I'll cope lol

I was watching some videos and there seemed to be a lot of little eateries throughout the ship, are these all free? Or is it only meals in the dining rooms that are included and the little pizza/sushi places are extra?

And room service? I quite like the idea of having my own little breakfast on my balcony.

Edited by OTrail

16 hours ago, tlc1972 said:

Will chime in as someone who took their first solo cruise earlier this year and with Princess (Discovery). 

I only ate in the MDR for lunch, which was thoroughly enjoyable despite never having the same table or server. The staff was very accommodating to me being a solo diner and had me looking forward to returning every day. Since I had decent OBC and specialty dining credits, I had dinners at all the specialty spots. I will say that the service in the MDR for lunch was better than the experience at a couple of the specialty restaurants (I'm looking at you Crown Grill), but overall I enjoyed meals across the ship. With the exception of formal night, attire for dinner was usually smart casual - it was rare that I saw anyone in super casual dress for dinners, but there were some. 

There was a meet-up for solo travelers, but I never attended. Part of going solo, at least for me, was to really get away, so meet-ups or planned events (including excursions) were things I avoided. Instead, I would find a quiet spot in the afternoon at a lounge/bar to read my book/news/socials, then head back to my cabin for a glass (or two) of wine before preparing for dinner. May sound dull and boring for some, but it was exactly what I needed. 

While I know other cruise lines my do a better job of catering to solo travelers, I selected Princess because the pricing was better overall, especially with the upgraded package. Plus I didn't want to be stuck in a small, interior solo cabin. If I don't have a balcony, then I'm not cruising. 

My first solo cruise was on Discovery last November and it was The.Best.Time.Ever.!

So nice to do what you want, when you want and change your mind about it and not have to worry about anyone else. I did eat dinner in the MDR at the same table by myself every night and it was wonderful.

A few people at other tables around me asked if I'd like to join them but I politely declined. I don't mind dining alone.

I have another solo booked on Carnival in October and then another on Discovery next April and I'm really looking forward to them.

• Like 8

My first solo cruise was on Princess (see below) when occupancies were low and I was able to snag a suite at a great price.  It was quieter then, but I'm willing to deal with a bit more activity, so I'm back on CB in December, in a Reserve Mini.  I look forward to the solitude and not having to think about where to get meals.  I didn't go to the solo meet ups, just hung out.  It was great!  

When we travel as a family, I do most of the planning work (not that I mind) so it is nice to just have to fend for myself.  

PM

• Like 4

My last few dz cruises have all been solo, so here's my take on a few items:

> solo meet ups are what the group makes of them. As of late they tend to be in Crooners at 6pm. So if you want to be part of the group, you might want to eat at a different time. A few of those groups splintered off and arranged a solo lunch table (8-12 ppl) at a set time in MDR. Princess was accommodating 

> in the morning there's a quiet (open) area just outside Explorers Lounge (until that event starts around 11) and also a section of Vista Lounge (until dancersize group gets there)

> the roll call may already be up & agree it's a great place to explore options for each port (I usually only do disembarkation tours if any)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ombud said:

My last few dz cruises have all been solo, so here's my take on a few items:

> solo meet ups are what the group makes of them. As of late they tend to be in Crooners at 6pm. So if you want to be part of the group, you might want to eat at a different time. A few of those groups splintered off and arranged a solo lunch table (8-12 ppl) at a set time in MDR. Princess was accommodating 

> in the morning there's a quiet (open) area just outside Explorers Lounge (until that event starts around 11) and also a section of Vista Lounge (until dancersize group gets there)

> the roll call may already be up & agree it's a great place to explore options for each port (I usually only do disembarkation tours if any)

Forgot to mention that Deck 5 MDR is open for games (mahjong type) in the morning with coffee tea set up. Also quiet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2023 at 11:13 AM, KKB said:

Dress code--last summer Caribbean Princess allowed shorts in DR, but that may not be fleet wide.

I'd say overall cruising attire is more casual; business casual for dinners nightly is acceptable.

It's defiantly true for the Enchanted as well. 

• Like 2

Have done a lot of solo cruises as well as having single room but travel with friends many also single.

Overall I love solo cruises, even the ones where no other friends onboard.  It is truly up to you as to how social or unsocial you choose to be.  If you want to dine with others either same table everynight with same people or different table with different people it is easy to do.  Or as i usually do you can eat most of your meals in the buffet where u can usually sit alone.  On longer cruises the staff will likely get to know you and stop by to talk with you everyday and make you feel special.

I like to read a lot of books and i like to sit outside as much as possible as well as do a lot of wallking on the prom decks which the older princess ships still allow you to walk all the way around while the newer ones are all chopped up and the only real walking deck is a much shorter one about 15 decks above the water line with little to no protection from the elements and looking through often dirty plexiglass...unfortunately that seems to be the wave of the future.

I have always been able to find a quiet or semi quite place to sit and read or simply look at the passing scenery...it never ceases to amaze me how many people seem to rarely ever sit outside as they prefer to sit inside in a bar or lounge drinking or attending some game show etc...up to you and good for me as more space for me to enjoy the view outside.

My ex who would never ever go to a restaurant alone on land loved going out to eat alone on a ship as she would always find a bunch of people to sit and talk with for hours and felt totally safe...it was also good for me if we did not want to eat at same time etc as we could each do our own thing and then meet up later.

• Like 2

Well I've booked. 31st May 2024, off through the Baltics on the Princess. Deluxe Balcony cabin.

Took about 8 attempts to get payment through, and it's not showing in my account which is a little bit worrying although I can manually look it up :classic_laugh: I assume it'll just be a few minutes before it does. 

Anyway, time to start getting excited :classic_biggrin:

Edited by OTrail
  • Like 3

I traveled from Barcelona to Rome this spring as a solo passenger 

The only awkward times for me were in the dining rooms.   The only single tables were the tables for two in rows allowing them to be pulled together for larger groups.

The space between each of these tables made it impossible to avoid hearing the next table's conversation.  It was difficult to ignore and I think it put them into feeling they needed to include me in their conversations.  

I was happy to chat, but think that eating alone by choice should have been better managed. (I think the guests choosing a table for 2 would also like a little more room

• Like 4