Tip that could save you from a cancelled cruise

Just wanted to post this as an FYI

While this is extremely rare occasionally cruises get cancelled for no apparent reason other than an IT glitch.  Unfortunately when this happens no notification ever goes out and you may only discover this much later and most likely after you cabin has been re sold.

One way to get an instant notification of anything being amiss is to purchase the least expensive thing in the cruise planner and then get it refunded on board.  If a cruise is cancelled for any reason and there are items in the cruise planner you will get a notification in your cruise planner that they have been cancelled and then you can jump on getting Royal to reinstate your booking in the same cabin.

Unbelievable that Royal can send out notifications for cruise planner items being cancelled but not for an entire cruise being cancelled.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 34

3 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

This is exactly how we found out our Fall 2024 Celebrity Apex TA was cancelled!! Got emails about cruise planner cancellations before we got the email that the cruise was cancelled. 

I received an e mail from a client asking why her internet was cancelled.  very quickly discovered the cruise was cancelled and then put it back on hold while Royal sorted out the mess and got the correct pricing back.

• Like 3

That happened to us about a year ago.  Never would have known that your cruise was cancelled until I start receiving emails that our dining package and other things were refunded.  They gave is a 150 onboard credit for their mistake. Also a better cabin then original one.  Thanks to our TA 

• Like 1

Don't even need to buy something.  Simply make My-Time Dining reservations.  The reservation is done through Cruise Planner.  If you reserve for all 11 evenings on a Southern Caribbean, when it's cancelled you get a whole InBox full of warnings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So I saw this thread before going to bed last night.  This morning I'm greeted by SIX EMAILS alerting me to changes!

We're on Oasis in 3 weeks, and apparently the one excursion we booked had a time change from 9 to 10 a.m.  Everything else looks to be in order in my planner.  Why it took six emails to tell me about it is beyond me, but this all got me going faster than any pot of coffee today. 🤣

Thanks Ken! 😀

Screenshot_20230911_080835.thumb.jpg.a3ebcbe6b86dd287f8f24010e800bfb9.jpg

• Haha 1

Another related thing....keep a watch on the "my cruises" section.  Scrolling down I found a balance due on one of my paid off cruises.  Called to check on that, and was told they were refunding just over 3 bucks for port fees, but when doing so....kicked out my whole payment!  😮  

If it had gone past final...would have lost my cabin.  

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, island lady said:

Another related thing....keep a watch on the "my cruises" section.  Scrolling down I found a balance due on one of my paid off cruises.  Called to check on that, and was told they were refunding just over 3 bucks for port fees, but when doing so....kicked out my whole payment!  😮  

If it had gone past final...would have lost my cabin.  

Ugh, thanks for that tip too!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 10:48 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Just wanted to post this as an FYI

While this is extremely rare occasionally cruises get cancelled for no apparent reason other than an IT glitch.  Unfortunately when this happens no notification ever goes out and you may only discover this much later and most likely after you cabin has been re sold.

One way to get an instant notification of anything being amiss is to purchase the least expensive thing in the cruise planner and then get it refunded on board.  If a cruise is cancelled for any reason and there are items in the cruise planner you will get a notification in your cruise planner that they have been cancelled and then you can jump on getting Royal to reinstate your booking in the same cabin.

Unbelievable that Royal can send out notifications for cruise planner items being cancelled but not for an entire cruise being cancelled.

That’s what happened to us. I got a nesssge from Cruise Planner that our plans had changed and my Internet charge was being refunded. Heart attack time, as it was two weeks before the cruise. 
I called and got reinstated. Royal’s  accounting had added a $3.00 charge to our record. Without notifying me. 

Your idea is a good one!!! 

• Like 1