Bar/drinks before dinner

Hobar

15 minutes ago, Hobar said:

this will be my first HAL cruise, is there a bar that is popular for pre-dinner drinks?

Which ship? Fixed or open seating and MDR or Lido if the latter? 

I want to say, any and all! If you have a dinner in the Tamarind (Signature and Pinnacle class ships only), there are nice seating areas to have a drink pre-dinner. When we're not dining in the Tamarind, we fairly live in the Crows Nest so I guess that counts as pre-dinner, even though it is not close to MDR.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My only experience is on HAL is Zaandam, there are several options for pre-dinner drinks. We liked Ocean Bar, there was usually a piano player doing pre dinner music. Mix bar is open pre dinner but I don't recall music there pre-dinner. There was classical music pre-dinner in Explorers Lounge but no bar there so you would have to bring a drink and you will get "the look" if you leave during the performance to recharge your glass and don't be talking during the performance either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like @Blackduck59 I like Ocean Bar since now they usually have live music playing pre dinner.  If you are eating at the Pinnacle Grill, then the Pinnacle Bar next to it is where you will find me before my reservation.  

@crystalspin reminded me about the Tamarind Bar which is quiet and has a good view.  It's on the three Pinnacle ships, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.  They have some unique to Tamarind cocktails there also.

I don't usually go to Crow's Nest since they stopped having live music there, but would consider it if we are cruising through a particularly scenic area at that time and it's still light out. 

You won't go thirsty for sure!!

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Which ship? Fixed or open seating and MDR or Lido if the latter? 

Koningsdam.  Probably Open Seating as I don’t like to be tied to a schedule while on vacation.  And either MDR, the Orange Dining Room (I think that is what it is called) and / or specialty restaurants.  

The Ocean Bar and the Pinnacle Bar are closest. The Ocean Bar is probably your best bet. You can grab a walktail right before you leave for the dining room. That way, you don't have to worry about having a parched throat as you travel the many feet to your table.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, POA1 said:

The Ocean Bar and the Pinnacle Bar are closest. The Ocean Bar is probably your best bet. You can grab a walktail right before you leave for the dining room. That way, you don't have to worry about having a parched throat as you travel the many feet to your table.

“Walktail.”  I love that.  I am going to plagiarize that term.  

• Like 6

Spent 35 nights on the Koningsdam earlier this year, and the Ocean Bar in the center of the ship was quite busy from 5-7pm.  Drinks were good, but service was slow and they routinely ran out of martini glasses. The service at the Billboard bar down the hall was usually better for pre-dinner drinks.

• Thanks 1

Ocean Bar pre-dinner for MDR.  

Pinnacle Bar for pre-dinner at Pinnacle Grill.

Tamarind Lounge (Silk Den) for Pre- Tamarind.  Assuming your ship has Tamarind. 

Ocean Bar for a beer if you are having Pizza from NY Pizza !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

Someone riding a mobility scooter (me) calls it 'drinking and driving'. 

I will be with my mom and she will have a rollator.  No scooter as she is dangerous on one of those; had it for her in Vegas and she did a lot of damage.  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CNSJ said:

Ocean Bar pre-dinner for MDR.  

Pinnacle Bar for pre-dinner at Pinnacle Grill.

Tamarind Lounge (Silk Den) for Pre- Tamarind.  Assuming your ship has Tamarind. 

Ocean Bar for a beer if you are having Pizza from NY Pizza !

Perfect.  Tamarind looks really cool and may end up on that a few nights for bar at least, if not dinner.  NY thing for lunch (looking forward to Nathan’s hot dogs - a salute to my Brooklyn roots).  

Every cruise is different.  We try all the bars and then mostly go to the one where we most enjoy the bartenders and the crowd.  We’ve done B2B cruises and changed bars from one cruise to the next because the atmosphere of the bar changed.  Luckily the HAL ships we have sailed are small enough that it doesn’t matter which bar you use…you are always fairly close to wherever you choose to eat.  

• Like 1

Usually there are a bar or two that have happy hour pricing, so you could get a drink then and maybe another to take and save for before dinner. If it's near sunset, the aft pool bar or crow's nest or Lido bar might be a good idea, or you could get one in the Ocean Bar and walk outside on the promenade to sit. 

Just off Nieuw Amsterdam, we tried Pinnacle and Ocean bars for pre-dinner drinks. SLOW service in both between 6:30 and 7:30, not crowded. One bartender and a few waiters. Two simple drinks often took at least 15 mins. Several times the waiter finished garnishing the drink. Poor hygiene with his hands on garnish after touching everybody's key cards, pens, etc. Some Officer needs to put a stop to that before there is a virus outbreak on ship. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrBill923 said:

Just off Nieuw Amsterdam, we tried Pinnacle and Ocean bars for pre-dinner drinks. SLOW service in both between 6:30 and 7:30, not crowded. One bartender and a few waiters. Two simple drinks often took at least 15 mins. Several times the waiter finished garnishing the drink. Poor hygiene with his hands on garnish after touching everybody's key cards, pens, etc. Some Officer needs to put a stop to that before there is a virus outbreak on ship. 

Did you talk with anyone about this while you were onboard?

I posted separate thread for my Covid experience, so if people were interested in that subject, it was easy to find.

Unfortunately I didn't notice what waiters were doing until the last night when I sat at the bar to order our drinks to see if I could get them faster. The bartender ignored us and waiter walked up behind us to take order. I watched the bartender make our drinks, place them and the waiter station and then saw what he did. This whole procedure had already taken over 15 minutes. Since we were heading to dinner, I knew I would just order wine at the table and not drink the Manhattan and Cosmo. 

So, didn't report it. Just posted here so others were aware. 

We were on the Koningsdam a couple of weeks ago.  We had a Neptune suite with comes with Club Orange.  The first night we decided to eat in the Club Orange dining room.  We wanted to have a drink before dinner but decided we can order it while in the dining room and drink it before we eat.  They do have a drinks menu in the restaurant.

We told the waiter we would like martinis before dinner.  We ordered those as well as our dinner.  A few minutes later our starters arrived.  We asked where our martinis were, and the waiter said they were coming from the bar.  We ate our starters and still had no martinis.  A few minutes later our main courses came.  Still no martinis.  We finally got the martinis after consuming a few bites of our dinner.  We did order a couple of glasses of wine with came well before our martinis.

Lesson learned…If you want a drink before dinner get it yourself from the bar.  We did that for the remainder of the trip.  The Ocean bar is just across from the CO dining room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Not sure if it has made it to the Konigsdam. but on the N. Statendam there is a small bar right outside the Club orange called the half Moon Bar. Only six seats at the bar and one lowered areal for a scooter as well. their claim to fame are specialty cocktails. Usually friendly bartender and assistant makes it a great stop.

• Thanks 1