Another new charge complaint….

kasowell2

This is our second cruise. Currently on the Sept 10 - 17 Discovery Alaska cruise. We purchased the premier package so the new charges didn’t really affect us so I haven’t said anything but today I kinda have a gripe. So they started charging for Salty Dog gastro pub and those with the premier package it’s included. And this is touted as an included benefit of the package. So we went today for lunch to partake of this included perk only to find that for lunch now it’s the Crab shack or something and the included perk is only during dinner hours. As everyone knows that is a $29.99 per person cover charge. My opinion it’s another way to get more money but it should be held in a different venue and not taking away from something I’ve already paid for. And yes I know I can go at dinner but dinner is not a time we want to partake of “casual dining”. I’m not here to debate and everyone has an opinion so I just here to vent and let others know what to expect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

15 minutes ago, Westsail32 said:

I'm going on Discovery next month for a CA Coastal.  Is this kind of a one off deal or a daily Crab Shack takeover of Salty Dog?  Thanks.

I “think” it’s each day or at least the sea days. If I’m wrong I will report back. It did seem like it was an everyday thing this week. That‘s my thinking thus that’s why I’m bothered about it. I haven’t sailed a Princess ship that has the casual dining venues so I’m not sure if they are open on port days. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kasowell2 said:

This is our second cruise. Currently on the Sept 10 - 17 Discovery Alaska cruise. We purchased the premier package so the new charges didn’t really affect us so I haven’t said anything but today I kinda have a gripe. So they started charging for Salty Dog gastro pub and those with the premier package it’s included. And this is touted as an included benefit of the package. So we went today for lunch to partake of this included perk only to find that for lunch now it’s the Crab shack or something and the included perk is only during dinner hours. As everyone knows that is a $29.99 per person cover charge. My opinion it’s another way to get more money but it should be held in a different venue and not taking away from something I’ve already paid for. And yes I know I can go at dinner but dinner is not a time we want to partake of “casual dining”. I’m not here to debate and everyone has an opinion so I just here to vent and let others know what to expect.

Salty Dog Gastropub has always had a charge, ever since it was introduced back in 2015 or so.  Started at $18 or so, and has changed a few times...  There's no change there at all - unless they've raised the price yet again (wouldn't be surprised at all). 

On the few ships that we've been on that had it, it was a pop-up in Wheelhouse Bar.  And it was dinner only. 

Haven't sailed a ship with it as its own venue - was it open for lunch or dinner prior to the  additions to the packages/changes to dining, etc? 

Salty Dog Grill was and still is included.. (on pool deck).

• Like 2

Salty Dog Gastropub has never been open for lunch.  Crab Shack is a pop-up “event” (similar to wine or beer tasting) and is never included in casual or specialty dining.

They are merely using the Salty Dog space for their event. If Crab Shack wasn’t there, it still wouldn’t be open for lunch.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Planks and Steamers are the included venues.  Don’t think Crab Shack was mentioned. 

Alfredo’s and I think Salty Dog too. 

Based on post #49 you’re correct:

Edited by Astro Flyer

13 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Planks and Steamers are the included venues.  Don’t think Crab Shack was mentioned. 

Alfredo’s and I think Salty Dog too. 

Planks, Steamers, Vines, Alfredos, Gigi's, O'Malley's, Salty Dog, Ocean Terrace Seafood, and I think Kai Sushi are the Casual dining venues.

Not all on all ships, some don't have any. And you're right , Crab Shack wasn't or hasn't been listed as an included venue as far as Plus/Premier... 

Princess own press release listing the casual dining venues:

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2023/07/princess-adds-casual-dining-exclusive-service-delivery-and-more-to-plus-and-premier-packages-with-no-price-increases.html

• Like 1

Crab Shack is listed on the Princess website as specialty dining. It is not a daily thing but maybe once or twice a cruise depending on cruise length.  It sounds like the pop up happened the day the OP decided to visit salty Dog.  Salty Dog gastropub has never been open for lunch previously but maybe that’s changing. 

• Like 1

The Salty Dog Gastropub was never open for lunch, I was kinda hoping this would change with the casual dining thing but it doesn't seem to be the case. It is open until 9:30 pm so I plan to dine there late with and early dinner in the MDR. It's the only way I can really fit it in and I absolutely want to try those beef short ribs.

I'm glad that Gigi's and the sushi are open for lunch.

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I find this is all confusing.  

This is definitely all very confusing…maybe if passengers showed their feelings by sticking with MDR or buffet, Princess would get a message. Obviously this would limit choices, but all these  ‘at additional cost’ dining venues, seem to be one way of Nickel and Dime ing..to me anyway !!!!..

Maybe I’m just mean ! I appreciate others may feel differently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

Agree with you 100%.  It's very shady how they have implemented these price increases and removed benefits to them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

What was listed on the patter for the day?

Was the Crab Shack pop up listed, or the Salty Dog?

We've been on Discovery several times, and Salty Dog was only a dinner venue. We've eaten there several times, and enjoy the food and service. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

Seems like a gray area.  Crab Shack isn't really a venue, but as another posted pointed out, an "event" with a premium charge like a wine or beer tasting and they happened to use the empty Salty Dog real estate as the venue. They could have held it in the MDR or the internet cafe and there wouldn't be any confusion over lunch vs dinner.  They probably should have used an MDR or even Crown Grill like they used to for Pub Lunch to avoid confusion with the casual dining.  It certainly SOUNDS like casual dining, but I can see how it skirts the rules.

On 9/12/2023 at 3:59 AM, Reina del Mar said:

This is definitely all very confusing…maybe if passengers showed their feelings by sticking with MDR or buffet, Princess would get a message. Obviously this would limit choices, but all these  ‘at additional cost’ dining venues, seem to be one way of Nickel and Dime ing..to me anyway !!!!..

Maybe I’m just mean ! I appreciate others may feel differently.

As a standard cruiser, soon to be rebranded as  "steerage", I stick to what's included with the basic fare and Princess can choke on their nickel and dime approach.  I usually hit the HC or MDR for breakfast, the HC or MDR for lunch, and the nibbles in the PE lounge for a light dinner in the evening.  I stay away from heavy meals with desserts in the evening anyway.  I see no reason to pay for the alcohol fueled Plus/Premier packages when I only have a wee dram or two in the evening and SWMBO is a teetotaler.

Economics 101 - charge what the traffic will bear.  As long as people will line up and pay for a product, there is no incentive for the business to reduce prices.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 6:46 PM, kasowell2 said:

Thank you for the information.  I've been wondering if they would open the Salty Dog for lunch as that is the only time I want to try it and now that it is included with Premier, even better!  That said, it isn't even an option on my upcoming cruises anyway but I am super excited to now have Ocean Terrace included!  The latest changes are actually saving me money!!

• Like 1