The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 15th, 2023

richwmn

Happy Rosh Hashanah

I hope all our Jewish friend have a wonderful new year.

Good morning from a wet central Texas.  It is raining, but not hard, right now.  It looks like there will be more rain and harder rain over the next two hours.  In fact, I think the harder rain is very close since we just got a loud thunder clap.  Our weather forecast is a moving target.  We didn't get the predicted rain overnight, and what was predicted for this morning was just a passing shower, but that has changed.  This afternoon should be rain free, but more rain overnight, unless the prediction changes again.

It is 72F and feels like 72F with 97% humidity and a dew point of 71F.  Our high for this afternoon is supposed to be 82F.  The operative words are supposed to be. 

I won't be making a hat today, but I have made a few hats as part of Halloween costumes for our DDs.  Interestingly, my paternal grandmother and her sister owned hat shops in Abilene and San Angelo.  In fact, they were the only exclusively hat shops between Dallas and El Paso at the time.  When I was very little, she'd let me try on the hats.  Greenpeace does a good job at protecting the environment, but needs all our help.  I will salute caregivers of whom I am now one.  My father was my mother's main caregiver for 16 years.  He had the help of a wonderful lady, Miami, who looked after my mother on work days and at night when he had to travel.

The quote is very true.

We'll pass on the seafood chowder, and the drink.  I would like to try the wine.

We have not been to Lautoka, Fiji.

Today in history is an important date for all Central American countries.

@kazu  Jacqui, you did an amazing job getting your yard ready for the hurricane.  I hope you and Ivan remain safe during the storm, and that there is minimal damage.

@ger_77  Gerry, sending positive thoughts for Maurice today as he gets the pacemaker implanted.  I hope it solves his heart issues, and he can do the things he wants to do.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, that is good news your DM will be discharged from rehab Sunday.  Good luck taking two cats to the vet today.  Benn there, done that.  😁

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope your family members in New Bedford and Fall River stay safe from the storm.  I also hope your DS and family will have a safe trip from New Hampshire today.  Not only was it nice of your DB and DSIL to visit Lou, but how wonderful of your DSIL to cook dinner for everyone.  I'm glad Lou is able to enjoy the visits from everyone.

@mamaofami  Carol, I hope Sam can have his surgery soon, and that it solves the problem of the brain bleeds.  I hope your DS's text to the chief medical officer helps move things along.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I'm glad your DS made it there safely last night, and that he found enough to eat.  😉

@Heartgrove  I'm glad you all are enjoying the cruise and the ship.  Thanks for all the great pictures, especially the one of all of you.

@1ANGELCAT  I'm happy the medicine is working and that Tux is doing well.

@aliaschief  Bruce, thanks for more great pictures.  Enjoy the train ride.

@cunnorl  Charlene, I hope your DS and DBIL stay safe from the storm.

@marshhawk  Annie, congratulations on the two sales, and on one being the biggest sale of the day.

@Haljo1935  I hope these rain storms don't affect your flight today.  I looks like the rain will stop by 2 pm.  Safe travels.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, enjoy your trip to Maryland with BFF and his friends.  Safe travels.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope you have a much better day today.

377504056_690323353130675_7987410487313707065_n.thumb.jpg.f6291f672cfb5707bd2ca938d08292de.jpg

377506691_6657867570937267_1422894113790184685_n.thumb.jpg.10ede1854b15a2267f91085bab97b916.jpg

377542910_6663452280378796_1417374820066911502_n.jpg.74d9ea6b9863a88b15541b9560b1af15.jpg

377895099_642858901316627_5155335296464167932_n.thumb.jpg.fb9ba6bedfae9147b3a6e5d789ae13a0.jpg

378122331_345745551139958_860464819457790998_n.thumb.jpg.dc858b23b1d271445ae30bfecb263576.jpg

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 10

I haven't posted for a while, but I have been reading and thinking of you all.  I hope things go well today for those caregiving, Jacqui and Ivan anticipating a storm, procedures happening, Roy recuperating, and also those among us cruising.  I guess I am now a caregiver too.  We have had visitors for  a few days, so busy, busy.  We even had tea at the Empress!  Something I have never done and probably never will again.  

We were in Lautoka once on Statendam many years ago.  (Now it seems strange not to have "Nieuw" in front of the name!)  Their main cash crop seems to be sugar cane, and they used small trains to transport it to where they press it.  We visited Raymond Burr's home there, he raised orchids in beautiful gardens.

IMGP0866.thumb.JPG.d7e14167aeafde9f6ca5de48da02a40c.JPG

P1000298.thumb.JPG.3d55c4661b774c23071eb6e9bd0ae893.JPG

IMGP0864.thumb.JPG.754bd4285107231d05b33567f55fc1a1.JPG

IMGP0858.thumb.JPG.df87a38b221de972c6c5d82906e29a06.JPG

IMGP0828.thumb.JPG.4959813aa5460fc76207743710a802b5.JPG

IMGP1217.thumb.JPG.ec231a721ad1b9050db184f3c5ad2502.JPG

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruzin Terri You have so much going on, no wonder you got those reservations mixed up. I hope you can fix the other one. It seems most people need glasses after cataract surgery, usually to read.

Thanks Vanessa.  it seems I need them for both distance and reading.  I also have astigmatism.  There are some new types of contacts out there now.  I may be able to get something that will work without needing reading glasses as well.  We will see. I haven’t been wearing contacts for a while.  The ones I had were no longer comfortable and then once we had the flood, I just saw no need to use them.

We’ll see what happens today.

Terri

• Like 21

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We're up early, will leave in about 90 minutes for DD's house where we'll be leaving our car for the week.  Thank you @JazzyV, @smitty34877, @kazu, @ottahand7, @dfish, @puppycanducruise and @Seasick Sailor for the Bon Voyages, we're excited to be sailing again!

I'll try to check in whenever possible but will be thinking of @kazu and hoping she stays safe, and also of @ger_77's DH as he gets his pacemaker today.

I hope you have an awesome cruise.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from something that's a bit unusual for me.  My late brother was in the Navy on a Submarine stationed in Charleston and in 2014 he asked me to join me at a reunion of the Haddo crew.  I noticed that my very first cruise ship, Carnival Fantasy, was then sailing out of Charleston and booked a short cruise just before the reunion.  September 15, 2014 was a sea day from Charleston to Freeport.

dawn0915.jpg

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Sam is in the hospital waiting for a type of brain surgery called an embolization. It keeps being postponed because of other emergency surgeries the vascular neurologists have between two hospitals. My son who works in the hospital has texted the chief medical officer to get the situation resolved. He’s in a great hospital in Philly. We are all anxiously waiting.

Oh dear, Carol. Waiting is so hard 😔. I am glad your son was able to help.

Prayers that Sam is operated on soon and that the surgery is very successful 🙏 

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning.It is only 59 degrees with a fair amount of wind.It looks like my family members in New Bedford and Fall River Massachusetts will get visited by Lee .

I think they are in tropical storm alert?  They can do a lot of damage.  Prayers that they can remain safe 🙏 

5 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

I am thinking of you Jacqui @kazu as you prepare for Hurricane Lee,  I hope it is a false alarm but your preparations look good so far.   

Thanks Nancy but it is not a false alarm.  Lee is making landfall - where is unknown  but there are some educated guesses and those areas are on Hurricane watch.  But landfall is pretty much a given.

5 hours ago, 0106 said:

You have a beautiful lawn and garden and worked hard to secure everything.  I hope Lee misses you but at least you are now prepared for our cruise in October.

Thanks Tina.  I am a long ways for being prepared for our cruise in October - but I will get there, never fear. 😉 

@1ANGELCAT glad Tux is doing well.

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@kazuYou have worked an amazing task to get ready for Lee.  Be safe, don't take risks during the storm  and i hope you have enough non refrigerated food to last several days, just in case. Your yard is beautiful.

Thanks.  as long as my generator works, my fridge will too.  but I have prepped some stuff since my stove won’t.  Generator can only do so many things and I chose the most valuable ones.  

thanks to everyone for the good wishes on Lee.  Ivan and I both appreciate it ♥️ 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I have never been to it, but someone on our roll call recommended it.  It is Nachi Cocom.  I have only been to Cozumel once before (last year) and we walked around and looked at the shops and went back to the ship.  So this time we are trying this place.  In Costa Maya we are going to Maya Chan.  Hope we like both of them.

Terri

We loved going to Maya Chan! Be aware though, unless things have improved since the years we were there, that the road getting there & back was pretty rough. But it was worth it! It's been a number of years since we were there, but it was always one of our favorite stops.

• Like 16

Good afternoon. Very brisk here. The temp is 57F and there is a bit of wind with rain moving in. Supposedly the rainy weather will move out this evening and it will warm up into the 70's the next week. Glad I turned off the sprinkler system and it is supposed to be turned off for the winter on the 22nd. Since it is now getting into the low 40's and upper 30's at night I think there timing is right. I think when the clouds lift I will see some white on our mountain peaks.

Have been working on hauling stuff out of the house this morning and now waiting for a friend to come by and help me deal with the Australia and New Zealand ETAs. I could probably handle everything but the photos. Travel is getting more and more difficult for us older, single, non-tech types.

Little gong on here. Search and rescue has given out maps to the volunteers still looking for our missing hiker. They are going to expand into some areas not as well searched. Hunting season will start shortly and that will put more people into the field. His family is saying they hope he can be brought home, but they know he is where he loved to be.

Not much else going on. My best wishes to all.... @mamaofamiI hope all goes well with DH and his surgery.

Take care.

Susan

• Like 24

12 minutes ago, NextOne said:

We loved going to Maya Chan! Be aware though, unless things have improved since the years we were there, that the road getting there & back was pretty rough. But it was worth it! It's been a number of years since we were there, but it was always one of our favorite stops.

Thanks.  I am sure we will enjoy it.

Terri

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We even had tea at the Empress!  Something I have never done and probably never will again.  

Curious on this Ann.  Never again because of the price or disappointment?  

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thanks Vanessa.  it seems I need them for both distance and reading.  I also have astigmatism.  There are some new types of contacts out there now.  I may be able to get something that will work without needing reading glasses as well.  We will see. I haven’t been wearing contacts for a while.  The ones I had were no longer comfortable and then once we had the flood, I just saw no need to use them.

We’ll see what happens today.

Terri

Good luck Terri.  I have had an astigmatism all my life and my glasses are for distance only.   Cataract surgery puts a whole new nuance on it.  DH just was going to need reading glasses after his - no more bifocals.  I hope you can be as lucky 🤞 

• Like 19

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Curious on this Ann.  Never again because of the price or disappointment?  

Good luck Terri.  I have had an astigmatism all my life and my glasses are for distance only.   Cataract surgery puts a whole new nuance on it.  DH just was going to need reading glasses after his - no more bifocals.  I hope you can be as lucky 🤞 

Well, I had no luck today.  They had no samples in stock with the power necessary for my astigmatism.  So they have to order a number of samples and i have to go back.  It seems they made the appointment too soon after I saw the Othtalmologist and the Optometrist did not have the opportunity to go over my record and order what I needed.  Waste of time.

They will call me when they have the samples.

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon, everyone!  

It has warmed up to a nice 72F outdoors.  The house hasn't warmed up that much yet.  It is still 68F inside.  

It has been a busy day so far.  I went to the gym and then came home and made an eye appointment, arranged to have my records transferred up from Ohio, applied for Social Security, paid bills, and made the marinade for tomorrow night's flank steak.  I still need to make an appointment to have my teeth cleaned but not until the beginning of November.  I also need to make an appointment to see my PCP.  I need a referral to the spine and pain clinic for my back.  I'm not ready to give up my hikes, but need something or some way to deal with the pain.  I think hiking on dirt paths is still ok.  It is the pounding on the cement that is the issue.  I was doing nerve ablation for pain issues and it is past due to do again.  Fingers crossed that I can do that and still enjoy communing with nature. 

@kazu Jacqui, I'll keep you in my thoughts as Lee makes his way through the Bay of Fundy.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  I think the rain is over until sometime tonight and into tomorrow morning.  At least that is the prediction for now.  The sun is out and there are scattered clouds.  We've warmed up to 78F and it feels like 83F.  It's still humid at 80% with the dew point at 72F.  DH's weather station says we got 0.31 inches of rain, and my old fashioned one reads 0.4 inches.  They are less than 12 inches apart, so who knows why they read so differently.

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I haven't posted for a while, but I have been reading and thinking of you all.  I hope things go well today for those caregiving, Jacqui and Ivan anticipating a storm, procedures happening, Roy recuperating, and also those among us cruising.  I guess I am now a caregiver too.  We have had visitors for  a few days, so busy, busy.  We even had tea at the Empress!  Something I have never done and probably never will again.  

We were in Lautoka once on Statendam many years ago.  (Now it seems strange not to have "Nieuw" in front of the name!)  Their main cash crop seems to be sugar cane, and they used small trains to transport it to where they press it.  We visited Raymond Burr's home there, he raised orchids in beautiful gardens.

IMGP0866.thumb.JPG.d7e14167aeafde9f6ca5de48da02a40c.JPG

P1000298.thumb.JPG.3d55c4661b774c23071eb6e9bd0ae893.JPG

IMGP0864.thumb.JPG.754bd4285107231d05b33567f55fc1a1.JPG

IMGP0858.thumb.JPG.df87a38b221de972c6c5d82906e29a06.JPG

IMGP0828.thumb.JPG.4959813aa5460fc76207743710a802b5.JPG

IMGP1217.thumb.JPG.ec231a721ad1b9050db184f3c5ad2502.JPG

Ann, thanks for the pictures from Fiji.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good afternoon. Very brisk here. The temp is 57F and there is a bit of wind with rain moving in. Supposedly the rainy weather will move out this evening and it will warm up into the 70's the next week. Glad I turned off the sprinkler system and it is supposed to be turned off for the winter on the 22nd. Since it is now getting into the low 40's and upper 30's at night I think there timing is right. I think when the clouds lift I will see some white on our mountain peaks.

Have been working on hauling stuff out of the house this morning and now waiting for a friend to come by and help me deal with the Australia and New Zealand ETAs. I could probably handle everything but the photos. Travel is getting more and more difficult for us older, single, non-tech types.

Little gong on here. Search and rescue has given out maps to the volunteers still looking for our missing hiker. They are going to expand into some areas not as well searched. Hunting season will start shortly and that will put more people into the field. His family is saying they hope he can be brought home, but they know he is where he loved to be.

Not much else going on. My best wishes to all.... @mamaofamiI hope all goes well with DH and his surgery.

Take care.

Susan

Susan, I hope they can bring the hiker home for the family's sake.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, I had no luck today.  They had no samples in stock with the power necessary for my astigmatism.  So they have to order a number of samples and i have to go back.  It seems they made the appointment too soon after I saw the Othtalmologist and the Optometrist did not have the opportunity to go over my record and order what I needed.  Waste of time.

Terri

Teri, that's really a bummer.  I hope it doesn't take too long for them to get the samples.

58 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon, everyone!  

It has warmed up to a nice 72F outdoors.  The house hasn't warmed up that much yet.  It is still 68F inside.  

It has been a busy day so far.  I went to the gym and then came home and made an eye appointment, arranged to have my records transferred up from Ohio, applied for Social Security, paid bills, and made the marinade for tomorrow night's flank steak.  I still need to make an appointment to have my teeth cleaned but not until the beginning of November.  I also need to make an appointment to see my PCP.  I need a referral to the spine and pain clinic for my back.  I'm not ready to give up my hikes, but need something or some way to deal with the pain.  I think hiking on dirt paths is still ok.  It is the pounding on the cement that is the issue.  I was doing nerve ablation for pain issues and it is past due to do again.  Fingers crossed that I can do that and still enjoy communing with nature. 

@kazu Jacqui, I'll keep you in my thoughts as Lee makes his way through the Bay of Fundy.  

Debbie, I hope you can get some relief for your back pain so you can continue your hikes.

Lenda

• Like 20

Dear Dailyites,

I want to thank you all for your kind thoughts, prayers and cyber hugs.  We brought Dad home on 9/13/23 and he was comfortable.  He passed the morning of 9/14/23.  It has been a roller coaster past 11 days as at the hospital he improved for a bit and then had more problems, he was moved from ICU to the medical floor and back twice!  The Covid just knocked his other medical problems off kilter.

I am so relieved he didn't pass on the day he was admitted as it was his wife's 90th birthday.  She is doing as well as can be expected they had been married 35 years.

I am doing okay, just kind lost as the past 4 years had spent so much of my time taking care of Dad.  Over to his house 2-4 times a day depending on what he needed. (and other caregivers available).  Hubby wants me to plan a cruise, I told him I would but not for a bit.  I just need to get through his memorial and decompress.

Thank you all again, just reading through CC and thinking about happier adventures that Dad shared with me, helped ease the hours the past 2 weeks.

Hugs to all of you, your and your families are in my prayers.

Denise

• Like 9
  • Thanks 21

7 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Dear Dailyites,

I want to thank you all for your kind thoughts, prayers and cyber hugs.  We brought Dad home on 9/13/23 and he was comfortable.  He passed the morning of 9/14/23.  It has been a roller coaster past 11 days as at the hospital he improved for a bit and then had more problems, he was moved from ICU to the medical floor and back twice!  The Covid just knocked his other medical problems off kilter.

I am so relieved he didn't pass on the day he was admitted as it was his wife's 90th birthday.  She is doing as well as can be expected they had been married 35 years.

I am doing okay, just kind lost as the past 4 years had spent so much of my time taking care of Dad.  Over to his house 2-4 times a day depending on what he needed. (and other caregivers available).  Hubby wants me to plan a cruise, I told him I would but not for a bit.  I just need to get through his memorial and decompress.

Thank you all again, just reading through CC and thinking about happier adventures that Dad shared with me, helped ease the hours the past 2 weeks.

Denise

Sorry to hear that your Dad has passed. It does take awhile to adjust. Take it as it comes, and hopefully a cruise will be in your future before too long.

Susan

• Like 17

@durangoscotsSorry to hear about your dad, prayers that the happy memories give you some peace.

@kazu, cruisers and everyone in the path of Lee, prayers that you all stay safe during the storms.

@mamaofamiprayers that all goes well with your DH, and that the surgery is done quickly.

@rafinmdit's good to hear that you're feeling better!  

I'm having a quiet day today, DH is gone, so it is a little quieter here!  (I think "quiet" day was yesterday!)  I've been working on the projects for our 6th grade sewing class, I'm going to miss next week - going on a quilters bus trip!  I think I have everything set for them on Wednesday!  Just made caprese chicken for supper.  It's easy, and we have lots of tomatoes and basil to use up.  Have a good rest of the day!  K.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Late but sending good wishes to Maurice @ger_77 hopefully he will feel a lot better!

@smitty34877so glad Lou is home and can visit some friends and family.

@kazu so many preparations, I hope all stays well! 

@Cruising-along Bon voyage! Have a fabulous time! 
@mamaofami hope Sam doesn’t have to wait much longer!  Scary stuff but it’s amazing what can be done.   I have a neighbour and a cousin who have both recovered very well from brain bleeds.

IMG_2906.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

What a bummer, Terri.  I hate wasted trips.  I hope they call soon and you can get things straightened out 🤞 

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I need a referral to the spine and pain clinic for my back.  I'm not ready to give up my hikes, but need something or some way to deal with the pain.  I think hiking on dirt paths is still ok.  It is the pounding on the cement that is the issue.  I was doing nerve ablation for pain issues and it is past due to do again.  Fingers crossed that I can do that and still enjoy communing with nature. 

Oh Debbie, I sure hope you can get the help you need.  I know how much you enjoy hiking and communing with nature.   I have my fingers and toes crossed for you 🤞 🤞 

34 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Dear Dailyites,

Denise

So sorry to hear of your loss, Denise 😢 My condolences 💔 

You gave him the love and care while he was alive and I hope that down the road you can find some solace in that knowledge and memories of him.

Prayers for him, you and all of your family 🙏 

• Like 20

41 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Dear Dailyites,

Denise

My deepest condolences!

• Like 16

42 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Dear Dailyites,

Denise

I am so sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing.  May he Rest in Peace.

Prayers for you and your family.

Terri

• Like 13

The trip to the vet was uneventful and not too costly.  Zander at 16 lbs could go on a diet.  Ashlee lost a few ounces and is encouraged to eat a bit more.

I thought I’d see what was available in the newly released Canada New England itineraries.  I saw the Volendam July 1, 2025 11 day itinerary, Boston round trip and we booked it right away.  It will have some new ports for us. 

• Like 18

50 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Dear Dailyites,

Denise

My sincere condolences on the death of your father. Glad he was home when he passed. Move on at your own pace, this is a major change in your life. My dad passed at the end of May and every so often I still think I need to call him to tell him something or go out and take care of something for him. Take care of yourself.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Dear Dailyites,

Denise

So sorry to hear this.  You can be proud of the way you took care of him and I wish you and your entire family healing.

Roy

• Like 15