Definition Of "Suite"

kerota

Most lines the lower suites don’t have a separate bedroom, on rccl a junior suite is just a large cabin with a balcony no suite lounge or suite restaurant (some allow dinner in suite restaurant) on celebrity there sky suites are just a large cabin but they give you access to suite restaurant for all meals and suite lounge with free drinks all day.

1 hour ago, kerota said:

To me, a suite is when the bedroom is a separate room from the rest of the cabin. I've seen instances when they call a cabin a suite simply because there's a sofa and small table next to the bed. 

That's one definition of a "suite".  On cruise ships a suite can just be a larger room with an actual sitting area separate from the sleeping area.

In addition to the physical descriptions of the space, which typically also includes more amenities and upgrades, suites usually include a higher level of service and on board privileges which often includes personal "butlers", dedicated lounges and / or clubs, upscale restaurants, and often segregated open spaces with private pools, etc.  It's not just a larger stateroom (or rooms) but a different, higher, level of service and on board experience. And always at a significantly increased price over non-suites.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

Hotels started this faux suite thing years ago.  It's an untrue description and just wrong.  A suite is two or more rooms.  With a door(s).  Now 'everybody' uses the term suite for any room they want.  It's obnoxious.  Kinda like the use of an apostrophe ... just a dumbing down for the masses.  People are too lazy to learn the correct usage of the words apostrophe and suite.  It's the way things go now ... I wonder if the Romans misused words this way?  However, there are far worse problems in the world.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Hotels started this faux suite thing years ago.  It's an untrue description and just wrong.

Agreed. Penthouse and owner's are idiotic descriptions, too. I call each of them a cabin, even stateroom seems too grand.

20 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You should take a look at some of the higher end suites on Celebrity and RCCL - multi-room, two level over 1,600 sq ft.

No question that there are fabulous suites in hotels and on cruiseships.  My point is that calling any room a suite is dishonest.  Experienced travellers know the score, but others are taken in, and end up paying too much for inadequate accommodations.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

No question that there are fabulous suites in hotels and on cruiseships.  My point is that calling any room a suite is dishonest.  Experienced travellers know the score, but others are taken in, and end up paying too much for inadequate accommodations.

But as mentioned before with most cruise lines the suites also include a number privileges and enhancements to the cruise experience which need to be considered with the premium price when making stateroom comparisons. It always is more than just the stateroom when considering those staterooms defined as "suites".  

41 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Hardly something to get so worked up over.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

In addition to the physical descriptions of the space, which typically also includes more amenities and upgrades, suites usually include a higher level of service and on board privileges which often includes personal "butlers", dedicated lounges and / or clubs, upscale restaurants, and often segregated open spaces with private pools, etc.  It's not just a larger stateroom (or rooms) but a different, higher, level of service and on board experience. And always at a significantly increased price over non-suites.

Not always, I’ve seen NCL club suites only slightly high than balconies, some perks come with it that makes it worth it to some people. Huge price difference than the haven suites.

11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Not always, I’ve seen NCL club suites only slightly high than balconies, some perks come with it that makes it worth it to some people. Huge price difference than the haven suites.

Agree. It certainly does depend on the cruise line and suite category.  The suite benefits are typically scaled to the category level and without a doubt the lower category "entry level" suites often offer limited benefits.  Example: RCCL junior suites are only marginally larger in size than the standard balcony categories with some enhancements (bathtub, walk in closet), but virtually no full suit benefits.  But obviously as you scale up in the suite categories the benefits (and price) increase dramatically.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You should take a look at some of the higher end suites on Celebrity and RCCL - multi-room, two level over 1,600 sq ft.

We had a 1600 sq Ft Penthouse on Edge it was magnificent, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathroom 3 large TVs , huge jacuzzi tub , huge shower . Our next celebrity suite we have to settle for. 550 sq Ft Royal suite with a 200 sq Ft balcony that has a hot tub . Both were thankfully one level , I don’t like stairs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Ha!  If it doesn't have bedrooms and doors, it's just a big room!!

Not sure if you are joking, but the inside area is almost 7k sq ft., with the remainder being the private outdoor space of approx 3k sq ft..  There are three very distinct, separate bedrooms, and 3.5 bathrooms.  Formal dining area, separate LR area, grand piano (player, I think?), and the huge outdoor private area includes a large hot tub and more seating and outside dining area as well.

We were on one of those ships once with our grands and met the couple (just 2 of 'em!) staying in one, and they gave us a tour.  (Back then, the decor was... garish.)

For a large family, amazing, and at that point, the per-person isn't so stratospheric.  Some larger groups/families combine both (each ship has two of these, mostly mirror-images).

And for some reason, they seem to have limited the headcount to 7 instead of 8.  No idea if they are flexible with that, but one could get an inside for not much else.  Guests are welcome (but not into the special private "Haven" facilities).

GC

• Like 1