Dress code in the dining room

New cruisers here……I’ve read that the dress codes on some cruise lines aren’t very strict. What is it like on Royal (the Jewel specifically)?  My husband wants to pack into a carry-on only (one for each of us) and we will be dressing in long sleeve sporty shirts and technical pants with tennis shoes for most of the days of our trip. Are those inappropriate for the dining room?  How fancy is the formal night?  

My husband has to keep his food mostly salt-free. We don’t want to have to eat in the buffet most of the time, because they can’t accommodate him there and we can’t eat salt-free when in port for lunches. We need to figure out just how much dressier stuff we will need to take so we can fit it all in. 

Enjoy your first cruise. We like the Jewel. First night for me shorts and a polo/golf style shirt. After that night I wear dockers and a golf/polo style shirt. My wife, slacks and a fancy girly top. We no longer take formal wear. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 4

There is a suggested fancy dress on Jewel, but not enforced.

We just returned from 17 nights on the Jewel. We had three formal type dress evenings. The dress was all over the spectrum from tuxedos to jeans.  

You can wear whatever you want to the dining room or specialty restaurants. 

Enjoy the cruise. 
m

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Qwltngcruiser said:

New cruisers here……I’ve read that the dress codes on some cruise lines aren’t very strict. What is it like on Royal (the Jewel specifically)?  My husband wants to pack into a carry-on only (one for each of us) and we will be dressing in long sleeve sporty shirts and technical pants with tennis shoes for most of the days of our trip. Are those inappropriate for the dining room?  How fancy is the formal night?  

My husband has to keep his food mostly salt-free. We don’t want to have to eat in the buffet most of the time, because they can’t accommodate him there and we can’t eat salt-free when in port for lunches. We need to figure out just how much dressier stuff we will need to take so we can fit it all in. 

You will be perfectly fine, even for formal night. Mediterranean cruises are a bit more formal, but you will still be fine.

9 minutes ago, doghog said:

Enjoy your first cruise. We like the Jewel. First night for me shorts and a polo/golf style shirt. After that night I wear dockers and a golf/polo style shirt. My wife , slacks and a fancy girly top. We no longer take formal wear. 

Thank you😊

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

best advice on dress code is the wear long sleeves as they keep the a/c high.  I almost froze my butt off on Liberty OTS and in the end had to only go to buffet.   Head waiter kept calling me a lot to come back but I told him NOPE.   

Thanks for the heads up. My husband and I are always freezing, so I will bring an extra layer! 

3 minutes ago, Qwltngcruiser said:

Thanks for the heads up. My husband and I are always freezing, so I will bring an extra layer! 

yes and those lounges for shows.  I mean a medium weight jacket over top of something else with long sleeves.  More ships have a/c on for the crew to stay comfortable and the passengers can just add layers.   oh well

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes and those lounges for shows.  I mean a medium weight jacket over top of something else with long sleeves.  More ships have a/c on for the crew to stay comfortable and the passengers can just add layers.   oh well

Thanks, we will be sure to pack some extra layers. It’s summer and I’m still wearing a light jacket now 😂

1 hour ago, Qwltngcruiser said:

Bottom line. The "dress code" are suggested dress. You are on vacation and should dress how you feel comfortable. There is zero reason to go to the buffet based on what you're wearing. Never.

Shorts are seen in the dining rooms on all nights (including "formal night"). 

Here's a representative sample of attire on Formal Night on the Wonder of the Seas. Short and Polo Shirts are fine for DH... long sleeve shirts are over dressed. 

image.png.0fa513ca85c3361176fd3c9593a9c74a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Bottom line. The "dress code" are suggested dress. You are on vacation and should dress how you feel comfortable. There is zero reason to go to the buffet based on what you're wearing. Never.

Here's a representative sample of attire on Formal Night on the Wonder of the Seas. Short and Polo Shirts are fine for DH... long sleeve shirts are over dressed. 

Thank you!  That makes me feel much better!

24 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I think someone doesn't know the meaning of the word"representative". That picture is a narrow sampling presented to further your particular view.  Representative is defined as typical or group.  That is not typical.  That is the lowest standard possible.

OP: You will see a sampling of all kinds of dress on formal nights.  Please be courteous and at least try to be neat.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

I don't think this pertains to you, but we saw a young man in a tank top turned away on a casual night.

Apart from that, we see a full range, as noted above, from formal to neat but casual; I agree that the AC is chilly (I now always wear sleeved garments, and DH is always comfortable in a sport coat or similar); and Med cruises tend to draw more pax who dress up.

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I think someone doesn't know the meaning of the word"representative". That picture is a narrow sampling presented to further your particular view.  Representative is defined as typical or group.  That is not typical.  That is the lowest standard possible.

OP: You will see a sampling of all kinds of dress on formal nights.  Please be courteous and at least try to be neat.

I never suggested that we wouldn’t be neat. We don’t wear ripped or cut up pants. I wouldn’t dream of going to eat anywhere aside from the poolside cafe in my bathing suit. We’re not even bringing bathing suits. Like I said, we will be wearing sporty type long sleeved shirts and technical khaki style pants with tennis shoes. I, personally, wouldn’t call that disrespectful. And I would think the mere fact that I’m asking ahead of time so that I can pack accordingly, being courteous. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Well in @BirdTravelsdefense, that picture does represent 0.01% of the guests. 😅

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I think someone doesn't know the meaning of the word "representative". That picture is a narrow sampling presented to further your particular view.  Representative is defined as typical or group.  That is not typical.  That is the lowest standard possible.

There is no need to be "neat". Dress as you please. For the most part, dress is vacation casual. There is zero, no, none, need to get dressed up. Don't get pulled into a trap of what others think. If shorts and a ball cap are acceptable, then shorts it is. Casual dress on "Formal Night" is the majority. Yeah,,, you can still find a handful (measured on one hand) people in gowns and tuxes. So, that's 5 out of 5000.

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, pinnacleguy2023 said:

for men throw on a polo wear some dress pants and some shoes dont show ur feet or toes simple...

woman throw on a dress and put some shoes or high heels on show feet only if manicured.. simple and easy 

no need for suit and tie just COVER UP simple 

Maybe 6 years ago, but wishful thinking today. 

Regardless of what Royal puts in print and what some people want to see happen, pretty sure the only enforced dress code anymore is no swimsuits. 

Where want you want. Even more simple. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinnacleguy2023 said:

for men throw on a polo wear some dress pants and some shoes dont show ur feet or toes simple...

woman throw on a dress and put some shoes or high heels on show feet only if manicured.. simple and easy 

Make up your mind.  If you're only concerned about feet, then shorts are allowed. 

Why the emphasis on feet?  Aren't they "covered" by the table cloths?  If you're concerned about seeing feet walking to the table, aren't you concerned about seeing feet while walking to the MDR from your room?

Just a strange focus point IMO. 

FWIW, I wear slacks, polish, and sneakers to dinner.  I don't care what anyone else wears.  I'm focused on my traveling companions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinnacleguy2023 said:

i believe that if ur going to use the sit down dining room cover it up... i wear a polo shirt some dress pants and boat shoes... just as long as my feet are covered no shorts and a nice simple polo is good enough... the point it to cover up... very simple ...takes 1 min to throw on a polo some pants and some boat shoes... no need for a tie no need for a suit just cover up. 

So women get to let it all hang out. 😂

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I don't think this pertains to you, but we saw a young man in a tank top turned away on a casual night.

And this is because, despite the anti-shorts crowd yelling from their rooftops stuck in the 1950's, the only clothing explicitly mentioned in the "dress code" as unacceptable at dinner in the MDR is:

"Main Dining Room/Specialty Dining Venues

Bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The poor guy in shorts should be getting royalties for the number of times this photo has been used on these boards to illustrate how Royal no longer enforces a dress code in MDR. Which I support  btw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinnacleguy2023 said:

i believe that if ur going to use the sit down dining room cover it up... i wear a polo shirt some dress pants and boat shoes... just as long as my feet are covered no shorts and a nice simple polo is good enough... the point it to cover up... very simple ...takes 1 min to throw on a polo some pants and some boat shoes... no need for a tie no need for a suit just cover up. 

When is the last time you cruised on RCI? I have been on a half dozen cruises this Summer and on every cruise roughly 50 percent of the men in the MDR wore shorts. FYI, all of these were Caribbean cruises for what it’s worth. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pinnacleguy2023 said:

Thanks for a really good laugh this morning!😂

Sherri🙂

• Like 1