Christmas Eve Dinner in Canaletto

TCUJeep

We will be on Zaandam for Christmas Eve.  If they have that menu, we are not going to pay $83 for the privilege.  The MDR menu will most likely be special too, so we will have dinner there.  We will be in Southern Caribbean

Edited by Banditswife

Yes that is a rather high cost for  that Cgristmas Eve dinner .  We agree that the MDR would also have some thing special .  Even though food costs have gone up ,all cruise lines buy closer to wholesale prices because of the huge volumes they purchase . We don;t need their perception  with these rather high prices

When we were last on a Christmas cruise (4 zillion years ago) in 2018, we were really hoping for a traditional Feast of the Seven Fishes on Christmas eve. Alas, it was not to be. I'd have been all over that. We were traveling with DW's dad who was super happy with the MDR meal. (Christmas turkey and ham?? He was a happy, happy guy.) In Canaletto's defense, a really pescatarian* menu does not have a very broad appeal.

I remember this quite clearly because I was on the lookout for @RuthC

*Pescatarian? I thought most Italians were Catholic.

• Thanks 1

We haven't dined at Canaletto in a long time and I am confused by the menu.  At the top of the menu is the suggestion of 2 small plates, one pasta and one large plate for every 2 people at your table.  The only pasta I see is the spaghetti under Large plate.  Am I wrong expecting that there should be a Pasta heading with several options?  And if I order the spaghetti and the grilled beef tenderloin should I expect 1 steak to be shared between 2 people?  Are the orders served as plated meals or are the foods brought out separately to help with sharing?

Thanks for posting that, @TCUJeep.  You see, on the revised daily menu that they implemented this month they deleted the carpaccio and lamb chops that had ALWAYS been available previously. So now we have to pay a premium to enjoy them on just that evening?  I'll be on a Pinnacle-class ship for the holidays.  Think I'll skip Canaletto on Christmas eve.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 3

To me the holiday menu is less appealing than the regular menu, so I certainly wouldn't pay an extra premium to choose mostly items I won't want.  I'm assuming it's a supply & demand thing - more people than "normal" will want specialty dining on Christmas Eve, so that's a reason to jack up the prices.  Yet another reason I'll never book a holiday cruise - although honestly, the # of kids onboard are the only reason I need to stay home!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

We haven't dined at Canaletto in a long time and I am confused by the menu.  At the top of the menu is the suggestion of 2 small plates, one pasta and one large plate for every 2 people at your table.  The only pasta I see is the spaghetti under Large plate.  Am I wrong expecting that there should be a Pasta heading with several options?  And if I order the spaghetti and the grilled beef tenderloin should I expect 1 steak to be shared between 2 people?  Are the orders served as plated meals or are the foods brought out separately to help with sharing?

You don’t have to share the large plates.  Original idea was the you ordered a couple and shared but we always order what each wants and eat off our own. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I'll be waiting for the first person to complain that the crab and chili spaghetti didn't come with "chili" (aka that red beans and meat stuff).  😂

And then a purist will chime in with, "real chili doesn't have beans". 🤪

Edited by Toofarfromthesea
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

I remember this quite clearly because I was on the lookout for @RuthC

I'm not Italian, so I wouldn't be interested in the Seven Fishes. It's just not part of my tradition. 
But if Canaletto, being an Italian restaurant, is planning a special meal for Christmas Eve, then the Seven Fishes should be an offering.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

And then a purist will chime in with, "real chili doesn't have beans". 🤪

Well, I wasn't gonna say anything but that is true.  I'm a (displaced) Texan and it's against the law.  You can be prosecuted for that if anyone finds out.  But I happen to like red beans in my chili and so I'm happy to be living in the Seattle metroplex -- where I can invite friends to join me when I make it.  Back home I had to eat it alone. 😉

And apologies for thread drift.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Haha 1