The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 21st, 2023

richwmn

Today is International Peace Day, Miniature Golf Day, and World Gratitude Day

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past -- Thomas Jefferson

Meal Suggestion for today - Sticky Honey Garlic Meatballs
Drink of the Day - Laphroaig Land And Sea
Wine of the Day - L’Enclos Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Today in History:
1621 King James I of England gives Sir William Alexander a royal charter for colonisation of Nova Scotia
1915 Cecil Chubb buys English prehistoric monument Stonehenge for £6,600

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 0700-1630

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Alexandria, Egypt eta 09-22

Noordam

Anchorage, Alaska 1100-2000

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Corfu, Greece eta 09-22

Rotterdam

Flam, Norway 0700-1900

Volendam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09-22

Westerdam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Saguenay eta 09-22

Zuiderdam

Halifax, Nova Scotia 0800-1600

0921World.thumb.png.8001293144234e9daae77341c839a09c.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 20

Gratitude & Peace sharing the same day is appropriate. I will putt putt today to celebrate Min Golf Day.

I agree w/the quote.

Would try the meals and pass on the drinks.

Have not been to the port.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 🙏

• Like 28

Thanks for the Daily and all looking forward to all Dailyite contributions.

Love our Days, but will pass on mini golf. 

Need to pack today.  Leaving Sunday for Vancouver, for Royal Princess cruise repo cruise to Hawaii.  Booked it for a song after final payment, and happily notified yesterday bid upgrade to Minisuite accepted.  Happy.  2 days in Honolulu before flying back. 

I’ve never sailed across the Pacific.  Excited and curious at the same time.  Weather? Waves? Enjoy Lots of Sea Days?  Guess I’ll find out soon!

Thoughts and prayers for all in need. 
Wishing you all wonderful Thursday.

Edited by ocean sounds
Typo
  • Like 31

Good morning friends!  Frisco is 77 degrees at this early hour, will be 93, windy and cloudy today.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for your Fleet Report and Daily!  DH and I kept busy yesterday earning our keep here.  Ren did feel well enough to go to practice and school, then ended up with a second practice indoors from 5 to 6 pm so we were alone all day.  We did some vacuuming and then cleaning the wood and tile floors for DDIL, some laundry, a little shopping, lunch at Chick-fil-A (it was spotless and the service fantastic as usual).  Then we prepared dinner at 7 for the three of us.  I was pretty tired last night.  

As to the "days", I agree that international peace and world gratitude are two worthy causes and great to celebrate together.  I'll pass on the miniature golf.  A very interesting and true quote from Benjamin Franklin.  I'll pass on the meatballs and cocktail but would try the white wine.  Wow on selling Stonehenge back in 1915, and a good beginning for Canada.  Thanks to our ladies Debbie @dfish,  Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their reporting today.

Prayers for our group on the Care list.  Hoping for improvement for as many as possible.  Good news on the all clear by the dermatologist, Graham @grapau27.  I'll offer up extra prayers for DB and friend's DB Mark, those around the world still suffering from their fires, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and war.🙏  A salute to everyone cruising and the Dailyites busily preparing for their cruises, visiting family and friends, birthdays and anniversaries.  Have a wonderful time!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping!❤️

Our port this morning is Santos (Sao Paulo), Brazil.  This was our port once before way back on May 30, 2021.  We were there once but my photos have disappeared from Rich's post so I have to place them again.  I will make a new post and get on that!  Here's the link to May 30, 2021.

Hoping we all experience a super day and stay safe and well.  

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s report.  Another beautiful morning here.  In between meetings I hope to clean up the deck a bit after bringing in the rest of the house plants.  Evenings are getting too cold for them.

@dfish my experience with the eye doctor and getting new glasses went much easier than your experience.  

Tucker celebrated his 12th birthday yesterday and I picked up his treats from PetSmart.

image.thumb.png.89b37fa364d844e33f5f349851b52dbe.png

• Like 33

Laphroaig Land and Sea cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Laphroaig® Select
1/4 part Sarsaparilla Syrup
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
Orange Twist

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in an ice-filled cocktail shaker and strain into a rocks glass with fresh ice. Garnish with an orange twist.

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 7.18.59 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 15

Happy Thursday.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Ann, Dixie, and Debbie.  I haven't played mini-golf for years but will celebrate both Peace and Gratitude. 

I can like the future but if we do not learn from the past we are doomed to repeat it.

Bon Voyage @ocean sounds.

Been to Santos twice, Crystal Serenity in 2017 and Elegant Explorer in 2019

I hope that by now Stonehenge is in some form of public ownership.

Not sure about the meal.  My alternative is a chicken entree served on Amtrak's Empire Builder   September , 21, 2017 headed for Seattle and MS Oosterdam.

Ran out of gas very early and low energy today but other than that just a bit of soreness in my left arm.

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

We visited Santos (Sao Paulo) Brazil on Ruby Princess. It was February 16, 2015 and overnight our ship had been decorated for “Carnaval”.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We docked in Santos in a commercial area which is not unexpected on a cruise.  It was cloudy and would rain a little when we left our port, but we headed off the ship to walk around this new to us destination.  We walked for miles that day.  The first thing we came across was this massive statue.

Santos City Hall which is named José Bonifácio Palace

The Coffee Stock Exchange

Here is the coffee cafe inside the building.  I don't drink coffee and DH hadn't started drinking it either at the time.  Now he has a cup or two every day - a late in life habit.

I loved the ships above the doorway here.  The plaque on the wall described this as the Santos Trade Association building.

Next is an electric trolley car pulling a trailer behind it.

Following that we saw a caravan of trucks pulling floats behind them.  From my Google search it says the parade was held in Santos on the 14th, two days earlier.

Here is the Portuguese Cultural Center.

And here we have the Santos Cathedral.  I really wish it had been sunny that day because these photos all look so gloomy and grey.

Soon we were heading back to the Ruby Princess.  However when we got close to the ship we were stopped by a train blocking the path and had to wait for quite a while before it moved out of the way.

It rained just before leaving the port of Santos.  I still took photos at sail away.  I should have had an IPhone camera at the time because these few photos from my camera aren't all that sharp.  Looks like ferries taking people and their cars home.

That was it for our first and only visit to Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lovely, cool morning following a night of wild storms. Bindi’s bedtime walk was cut short by some intense lightning. Luckily we made it in before the torrential rain started. 

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our happenings. Bindi walks, chores and test driving some new car prospects. Plug-in hybrid SUVs are scarce around here. Hyundai doesn’t even sell its model in Florida. None of the dealers responded to my query as to why that is. 🤔

IMG_1761.jpeg.df2d8813a8775413a63f36479cb24f3a.jpeg

IMG_1760.jpeg.75f9c2a32e28934bf821267292f28751.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg.9df19cf2a30f594e69997df294edcefa.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, I pray that your wonderful memories help ease your pain. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Hope you each find at least one reason to smile today. 

L’Enclos Sauvignon Blanc 2018

This French table wine has lots of consumer fans and at least one critic gave it a superb rating. Widely available and it is priced to try. Online prices hover around $9.99.

Wine Enthusiast 95

from a tiny vineyard of young, ungrafted vines, this wine is explosively rich and impressively textured. It brings so much intense minerality and texture from the flint soil to match the pure citrus and white fruits. Still young, it will be best from 2022.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 3

Good Morning to All and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  Celebrate the days though mini golf was never my fav.  Agree with the quote, will pass on the meal, drink and wine and never been to South America!  Interesting history day for Canadians and interesting about Stonehenge.

Busy day today.  Gym this morning.  We will see how my day in the severe SPED room goes.  I sincerely need to buckle down and get ready to leave.  So this evening it will be to straighten up the house and make sure the frig is relatively empty.

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 28

Today’s Care List:

Smitty34877’s DH Lou passing on 9/18

CrabbyPatti’s DF passing on 9/14

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill with bronchitis, onboard Jewel of the Seas

Cruzin Terri with less pain, but symptoms from the increased prednisone

Marshhawk’s house issues

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui

Earthquake in Morocco and flooding in Libya, both with many deaths

Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine

From the Rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy

Tana’s pulmonary issues

HAL Sailer’s DH’s health

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Oceansaway 17!

Mamaofami’s DH Sam home from the hospital, post-surgery for brain bleed

Rafinmd (Roy) recovering from Covid and to cruise soon

Grapau27’s (Graham) good report from skin cancer consultant

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Vmax1700 (Rotterdam Sept 23 to Oct 7, Jewels of the Baltic)

Cruising-along (Celebrity Solstice to Sept 22, Alaska), Heartgrove (MSC Preziosa to Sept 24, British Isles), Lady Hudson (Jewel of the Seas to Sept 28, Canada and Greenland), Haljo1935 (Carnival Venezia to Sept 29, B2B, NY/Canada/NE), SusieKIslandGirl (Noordam to Oct 1, Great Alaskan Explorer), tupper10 (Noordam to Oct 1, Great Alaskan Explorer), Oceansaway17 (Celebrity Summit Oct 2, Boston, Maine & Canada) and Mr. Boston (Oosterdam to Oct 8, Med Tapestry, Greece & Adriatic Antiquities)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cloudy and mild this morning, I didn't need a jacket when Bertie and I went for a walk.🙂

I happily celebrate Peace Day, I wish there was more of it.  Gratitude is very important.  I haven't played mini golf in years.

Interesting quote.

Not sure about the meal or drink, but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone.

@Oceansaway17 Bon Voyage!

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 26

Good Thursday morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Sunny and cool today, just how I like it. Working from home today. Seeing clients and students. 

The meal of the day sounds interesting.

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Thursday ~tomorrow is Friday ~ | Tomorrow is friday, Cats, Happy ...

• Like 29

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!

Running out this morning for PT, taking DH with me, and then heading down to his infusion. Then get lunch pick up some gravel and try to fill the hole in the drive way, then back to cut more of the tree and then to work.

I worked on the tree yesterday, trying now to cut what I can, then saw what i can and then get some one with a chainsaw. I supported the american mosquito yesterday by making several donations while in the back yard.

I never got the eye exam at the docs the other day, they were so overbooked, that after waiting an hour I got in line to make another appointment and cancel the one I had, but being next in line, they called my name, I told the person I was about to leave, explained that time is money, but that since they were actually going to see me to just check the eye that the pine needle had attacked,  all is good, and I got another appointment on the 30th of November..  Assistant said the new office, had too many doctors and not enough staff.

Busy day, I hope you all have a great day.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 29

Good morning! Seems I’m back on normal schedule. It’s currently 71 and will reach 87 later. After a couple of dry days one can sense humidity is back. So after coffee and Daily I plan on getting a walk in. Tonight we’ll be attending our small church group for study and camaraderie. 

@ocean soundsBon Voyage! That should be a great adventure.

It’s trash day and so far no signs of bear. It’s funny but every time I step outdoors now I stop and peruse the neighborhood for our  local bear. Definitely do not want to come face to face with that  huge bruin.

International Peace is a dream. It would be nice but with so many angry, selfish and do it my way folks around it is not going to happen. Sad.

Thanks for the Daily and to all who share their talents and daily life’s here on the Daily. Common denominator is we all love to cruise!

Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.bf24c56af8da035ec2959f32685ce8b0.jpeg

image.jpeg.334a2c31766c4ec6cd567b27a9b63987.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3d63d1c04babe2eee4c1f17659472072.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5e9fb6e426ae59169daa57e4ddac4fef.jpegimage.jpeg.757e6b1015c61fdaa28e648abdbd1dff.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

Good morning,

I brought food to my friends house yesterday and stayed for 5 hours visiting with her out of town relatives. We cried and laughed reminiscing about her.  I am glad I saw them before the celebration where there would be lots of people to deal with. 

I got my luggage forwarding notice for my GA cruise .  Is there any limitations to what you can pack in the suitcases?

I went back to read yesterday’s thread this morning and saw it was locked. Is this happening everyday? I like to read it at night but got home too late so looked at it this morning. We are a troublesome bunch. 

So mainly travelers right now and I am jealous. Safe travels and have fun!

• Like 28

Good cool and sunny morning. It’s supposed to be sunny and nice today and tomorrow then rain on the weekend.

Tux goes back to the vet today for a recheck on his eye. It’s all healed up, then tomorrow is Houdini’s nurse appointment for bloodwork.

I haven’t played mini golf in years, just not a fan anymore.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 24

On World Gratitude Day, I’d like to thank all of you for making the Daily a friendly place to start my day.  I particularly appreciate those who post port pictures, the wonderful photos from the garden club and the contributions from the food & beverage department.  The quote of the day always makes me think; sometimes I even do a bit of research on the author, so the Daily helps me improve my mind too!IMG_7935.jpeg.75dde76dd6f88e6a9c599bfc72b681c1.jpeg

This little girl is carrying a sign with a quote from Jimi Hendrix.  I think it is the perfect message on International Day of Peace.IMG_5888.thumb.jpeg.c9c43a71f1c6cd7a91a978215f2fb0a0.jpeg

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

And thanks Ann, Debbie, Dixie & Vanessa.

Good collection of days especially Peace & Gratitude which are two that should be celebrated every day.  Interesting quote.  And YAY on that white wine.  I’d love some 😉 We were in São Paulo but it was quick and not in Santos, proper.  Nova Scotia’s founding is definitely something to celebrate. 🙂 

IMG_1156.thumb.jpeg.8dbab2945bbb324af07d5bee60ea8732.jpeg

Busy morning today - a couple of appointments including the painful one that I pay for (elbow therapy).

Nothing much got accomplished yesterday - 1st our meet time for our whale watching had to be changed so the spread sheet that was already closed had to be re-opened and re-converted.  Then the on board events co-ordination advised our meeting room had been changed.  Back to the spread sheet and conversion again. ‘Sigh’.  All bad things come in 3’s, right?  Ivan stole cheese off the counter last night and of course is not feeling well.  GRRR.  (His first theft and his last).

IMG_1152.thumb.jpeg.a8c83c133a20fb95e5e0df48d5e5525f.jpeg

On the bright side, when I was outside yesterday you couldn’t help but miss how some plants had taken a beating from Lea:

IMG_1877.thumb.jpeg.f42049bb696f6275e6609230fc52818f.jpeg

Only a few of these are left standing:

IMG_1879.thumb.jpeg.cfd246e6c6136820b51aa747285c547f.jpeg

But amazingly, look at this - this fragile clematis withstood it all and is still blooming away.  (It’s the first year this one has bloomed).

IMG_1876.thumb.jpeg.b164c9643e73410a1ea8b03adbac642d.jpeg

IMG_1878.thumb.jpeg.b66f676860c2d372c212596279c13ca8.jpeg

@Oceansaway17 Bon Voyage !

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health problems, worries & those that need them.  Cheers to all those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1153.thumb.jpeg.f5b3d00b054fd749a5c457421ac2514a.jpeg

Have a good Thursday everyone.

• Like 32
  • Haha 5

Good morning from a partly cloudy central Texas.  It is 75F and feels like 75F with 88% humidity and a dew point of 71F.  There is an 8mph wind.  I'll try to get my walk in before I run the errands this morning.  The predicted high will be 93F, but we could go over that since we're talking about Texas weather..

Add me to those who thing Peace Day and Gratitude Day go together.  It's been 21 years since we played miniature golf, and that was on a RCCL ship.

I like the Thomas Jefferson quote, but I agree with Roy @rafinmd that while looking forward we need to remember the past, too.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.

Our only stop in Santos, Brazil, as on the Ruby Princess in 2015 with Sandi @StLouisCruisers even though we never met on that cruise.

@ocean sounds  Congratulations on the up grade to a mini-suite.  You will be spoiled.  The north Pacific tends to be a little less smooth than sailing from San Diego or LA, but it shouldn't be too bad as long as there is not a typhoon in the area.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad Ren is feeling better.  That was nice of you to help your DDIL with some of the cleaning while she is gone.  I hope you can get out and see some of the area too.

@Crazy For Cats  Happy belated 12th birthday to Tucker.  He is a good looking cat.

@rafinmd  Roy, Stonehenge is part of English Heritage now.  I'm glad you are not having a major reaction to the flu shot.  The fatigue should wear off quickly, especially if you rest today.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm glad the eye is okay, but sorry about the mess with the appointment.  I hope the appointments today go more smoothly.  Good luck on getting the tree trimmed.

375872979_261096570174352_2893881842414613405_n.thumb.jpg.753b651b058c84680b4b8c547030b84e.jpg

375981599_693677812801246_3803699878334053215_n.jpg.d12447a4b8e342c458413cac0c99a4ce.jpg

376014935_691662229651809_4575468006956634336_n.jpg.dcb004f23857a8af6782643bb3ba8d8f.jpg

376700041_863975629062303_2081440861571866253_n.thumb.jpg.8477620ccfd9e81298f6abafe7354d1a.jpg

380172169_784487656811978_6516305932178566811_n.jpg.efa24166600f007311e9584729d68950.jpg

380356831_887721386149973_4173029438272977442_n.jpg.30cef9d83c26d395fd5a02502d6ea2aa.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 17