Step aside, Royal Caribbean braggarts

I've been amused by people's stories of passengers boasting about their C&A status, suites etc., but I may have found the all-time champion:

Shortly after boarding the Ovation, a guy in the elevator behind me commented on how "tiny" the ship was. Hmm ... not how I would describe a Quantum-class ship, but ... sure, it's perceptibly smaller than Oasis-class ships, so whatever. Another lady in the elevator responded by saying that yes, it does seem smaller if you're accustomed to Oasis.  

That's when the guy said: "Oh, you think Oasis ships are big? Just wait until you try the Icon class. That's what I've been sailing lately. Oasis is nothing in comparison." 🤨

The lady either honestly didn't know that the Icon won't be sailing for a few more months, or pretended to believe him, so he continued with his tall tales. Either way, the guy got to feel superior for at least the length of the elevator ride, because I just ignored the whole exchange while saying to myself, "Oh, this is definitely going on Cruise Critic." 🤣

But in retrospect, I should have tried to befriend the guy, since he's apparently in possession of a Tardis or a time-turner! 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 37

29 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

But in retrospect, I should have tried to befriend the guy, since he's apparently in possession of a Tardis or a time-turner

More likely a contortionist because he managed to put his foot in his mouth while his head was squarely up his b#@t

• Like 4
  • Haha 21

23 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Should have called him on it. 

18 minutes ago, Nadey said:

I definitely would've called him out on that to see  what he had to say

I did consider it, especially at first when I wondered if I misunderstood him, and he'd been onboard for sea trials or something like that. But my next thoughts were 1) if he's truly that desperate to feel important, just let him have it; and 2) with my luck he'd be in the cabin next to ours, or seated at the next table.  😐

Still, if I'm being honest ... yeah, part of me regrets not calling him on it!

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

I've been amused by people's stories of passengers boasting about their C&A status, suites etc., but I may have found the all-time champion:

Shortly after boarding the Ovation, a guy in the elevator behind me commented on how "tiny" the ship was. Hmm ... not how I would describe a Quantum-class ship, but ... sure, it's perceptibly smaller than Oasis-class ships, so whatever. Another lady in the elevator responded by saying that yes, it does seem smaller if you're accustomed to Oasis.  

That's when the guy said: "Oh, you think Oasis ships are big? Just wait until you try the Icon class. That's what I've been sailing lately. Oasis is nothing in comparison." 🤨

The lady either honestly didn't know that the Icon won't be sailing for a few more months, or pretended to believe him, so he continued with his tall tales. Either way, the guy got to feel superior for at least the length of the elevator ride, because I just ignored the whole exchange while saying to myself, "Oh, this is definitely going on Cruise Critic." 🤣

But in retrospect, I should have tried to befriend the guy, since he's apparently in possession of a Tardis or a time-turner! 😉

Thanks for sharing... 🙂 Hilarious story.  

You should have said something.

People like that need to be embarrassed at every opportunity. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

I did consider it, especially at first when I wondered if I misunderstood him, and he'd been onboard for sea trials or something like that. But my next thoughts were 1) if he's truly that desperate to feel important, just let him have it; and 2) with my luck he'd be in the cabin next to ours, or seated at the next table.  😐

Still, if I'm being honest ... yeah, part of me regrets not calling him on it!

I'd have gone with a "oh how is the ship? I've been following the construction and am booked on its maiden voyage next January."

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Agreed - I would have had no problem calling him on it - as my Scottish friend’s mother would say - putting on airs beyond their station in life….

This reminds me of a cruise last month of a passenger last month who (claimed to) have  been everywhere- done everything - claimed to speak every European language -  caught in his own exaggerations was quick to back track with some bogus excuse.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Hope you don't mind, but can I ask you for a massive favour? Seeing as Ovation is such a tiny ship, next time you see him on board (would be in the next hour or 2 I'd imagine 🤣) can you please ask him to jump back in his time machine and find out the winning lottery numbers for next weekend? I really don't want to have to get off Ovation after my 3 nighter on her in early November

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, ScottishRobbie said:

Hope you don't mind, but can I ask you for a massive favour? Seeing as Ovation is such a tiny ship, next time you see him on board (would be in the next hour or 2 I'd imagine 🤣) can you please ask him to jump back in his time machine and find out the winning lottery numbers for next weekend? I really don't want to have to get off Ovation after my 3 nighter on her in early November

@ScottishRobbie - have you heard of “putting on airs”? My friend Gina from the Gorbles of Glasgow has no problem telling that directly to people.

7 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Just got off 3 weeks on Serenade. Was a Pinnacle on at least 2 of my 4 legs and he wore his Badge everyday but would bother the WJ Head's, dragging them over to station to show something they should be aware of or telling them how things should be. Was in there bothering them on at least 8-9 Days just that I was there to see it.

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Just got off 3 weeks on Serenade. Was a Pinnacle on at least 2 of my 4 legs and he wore his Badge everyday but would bother the WJ Head's, dragging them over to station to show something they should be aware of or telling them how things should be. Was in there bothering them on at least 8-9 Days just that I was there to see it.

With the Badge comes great responsibility. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 18

6 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

I would called him over to my table and asked for a coffee refill.

• Haha 6