RC and Celebrity loyalty programs possibly merging?

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

This article is based on the Blog which bases the idea on an interpretation of an answer to a question about the loyalty programs on the Celebrity webinar. Neither the Blog or author of the article have any facts or other sources. When I heard the Celebrity reps answer I took her answer to be generic. Always looking to enhance customer experience type answer.  Since the questions picked were obviously cherry picked maybe the answer means something but then again maybe not. 

And speculation likely caused lots if hits, the desired result.  This blogger is NOT affiliated with RCCL and has no more info that anyone here.  I always wonder if he actually paid for the items he reviews (drink packages, over the water cabanas, water park, specialty dining, etc.) or if he receives them free of charge from RCCL.  He never discloses if he pays or does not. 

M

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

20 years being "Loyal to Royal" is over.....typing this right now from Viking cruise line. Still have previous cruises booked with Royal that we will be taking, but not adding any new ones.  Viking is getting those new bookings now.  

Viking:  Wow...wow...what a change!  Back to great service, good food, crew members that care, no nickel and diming us to death.   The things we used to enjoy on Royal.  

Thought you would like Viking😇

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

20 years being "Loyal to Royal" is over.....typing this right now from Viking cruise line. Still have previous cruises booked with Royal that we will be taking, but not adding any new ones.  Viking is getting those new bookings now.  

Viking:  Wow...wow...what a change!  Back to great service, good food, crew members that care, no nickel and diming us to death.   The things we used to enjoy on Royal.  

Formally known as "Jumping Ship".

🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

This article is based on the Blog which bases the idea on an interpretation of an answer to a question about the loyalty programs on the Celebrity webinar. Neither the Blog or author of the article have any facts or other sources. When I heard the Celebrity reps answer I took her answer to be generic. Always looking to enhance customer experience type answer.  Since the questions picked were obviously cherry picked maybe the answer means something but then again maybe not. 

I heard it the same way and was surprised to see how the answer is now being interpreted. 

I can't see Celebrity wanting to merge points and up status reciprocity. If they recognized Zenith/Pinnacle.......IMHO it woul be a disaster for Celebrity.....and I'm P on RCI. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

And speculation likely caused lots if hits, the desired result.  This blogger is NOT affiliated with RCCL and has no more info that anyone here.  I always wonder if he actually paid for the items he reviews (drink packages, over the water cabanas, water park, specialty dining, etc.) or if he receives them free of charge from RCCL.  He never discloses if he pays or does not. 

M

Agree....I'm sure he got lots of "hits" with that Topic. The blog is fan based and not affiliated/connected with RCI but there are a lot of cruisers who don't know that and think it's "official". 

14 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I heard it the same way and was surprised to see how the answer is now being interpreted. 

I can't see Celebrity wanting to merge points and up status reciprocity. If they recognized Zenith/Pinnacle.......IMHO it woul be a disaster for Celebrity.....and I'm P on RCI. 

Yeah, I wouldn’t think Celebrity would want a unified loyalty system.  Royal Caribbean is the larger line with a substantial number of P’s.  Furthermore if they create a formula to somehow add current Captains Club points and C&A points as they combine the programs, that may create more P and Z because some people have points on both lines.   While Royal would note an increase, combining the two programs might flood Celebrity with high level loyalty members accustom to substantial benefits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t think Celebrity would want a unified loyalty system.  Royal Caribbean is the larger line with a substantial number of P’s.  Furthermore if they create a formula to somehow add current Captains Club points and C&A points as they combine the programs, that may create more P and Z because some people have points on both lines.   While Royal would note an increase, combining the two programs might flood Celebrity with high level loyalty members accustom to substantial benefits.thr 

I've heard the perks will be watered down. Yes, many will have them, but they will be less valuable.

Following in the mode of Princess.

Here's a link to the Webinar. This is what I heard: 
1. Currently some status match 

2. Opportunity do to more

3. 3 different brands RCI, Celebrity and Silversea

4. Status match doesn't thread together and is something we're working on. 

Starting at 18:12 you can listen....and decide for yourself......what was said.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Here's a link to the Webinar. This is what I heard: 
1. Currently some status match 

2. Opportunity do to more

3. 3 different brands RCI, Celebrity and Silversea

4. Status match doesn't thread together and is something we're working on. 

Starting at 18:12 you can listen....and decide for yourself......what was said.

5. And they're hoping to tell us more in a few months.

So something new for the new year?

Edited by Rackham
  • Like 1

I read the comments from the Celebrity Exec.  My impression was she was talking more like combining benefits. The Diamond level 4 drinks would be great on Celebrity instead of happy hour they offer to their equal today.  As much as I wish both cruise like shared and awarded points like Royal since I have 6 cruises on Celebrity my fear is they might make Diamond harder on Royal now that I expect to earn it in 2024.  

14 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

In the spirit of full disclosure, I believe you are in a river cruise (I would love to do that one!), which is a different animal than Royal.

We have also branched out a bit, but I think it’s important to provide context when we all talk about moving on. Ship size is one that no one typically mentions when they say they are moving on. We have an Oceania cruise booked, on a ship that holds about 1200. For us, that’s small. Viking Ocean is about 930. Azamara, Seabourne, Regent even smaller , yet I do see folks making it sound like they are comparable to Royal or Celebrity. 

Im looking forward to trying some others.

mac_tlc

Yes, I am on a river cruise.  And I also have four more with Viking booked that are ocean cruises.  

The point I was making, be it river or ocean...is the difference of our personal experience having great service, food, and care again.   It's still a cruise to us, but a breath of fresh air compared to the direction that RCI is moving towards.  I don't like the direction they are heading now, for so many reasons. It is not the same experience we used to have and enjoy years past. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’m thinking about booking a Viking cruise but I’m booked up thru next year….. are you on a river or ocean cruise?

Currently on a 3 week river cruise in Europe, but have 2 ocean cruises, and 2 excursion cruises booked over the next 2 years with Viking.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, vjmatty said:

I thought Viking recently branched out into ocean cruising. I’m pretty sure the Vista class ship we saw in Naples last year with the Viking emblem was not a river cruise 🤷🏻‍♀️

They have a fleet of identical river cruisers called "Long ships" which are the most numerous, plus what they simply call "Ocean Ships", two new "Expedition" ships, and one specifically built for the Mississippi for that river cruising.  

We are booked on all but the Mississippi river cruiser.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

How do Viking prices compare to RCI?

More expensive.   Kind of "you get what you pay for".   RCI...prices are rising dramatically though, (so maybe not too much difference now) and the service and perks are decreasing with RCI...IMHO.   

Loyalty program with RCI is one of the areas losing ground.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

I have said for a few years now that something will have to give with RCI's C&A program. Given the amount of D, D+ and P members surely their business model is no longer sustainable.

We have watched and noticed a few things disappear over the years.

I am D+ and have always loved what RCI have given us other the years. Yes, making Diamond was a nice bonus some time back and having access to the DL was a nice perk BITD.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the DL wasn't rebranded the Diamond Plus Lounge soon as they would only have to stick a + sign on the door next to Diamond.

My wife and I enjoy the perks of the 5 free drinks, but we are not massive drinkers and with the exception of doing TA's, we would normally book a port heavy itinerary cruise where we would be off the ship for most of the day, and by the time we have got back on and got showered and ready, it would be time for dinner and then a show, so we would not benefit from a drinks package, so if RCI did do away with the free drinks, then we would probably just purchase 1 or 2 each evening.

I don't know if losing any/all of the perks would make us change cruise lines, as we have been on others and like what Royal does for us. Possibly Celebrity, as we have seen some nice cruises that they do, but we have not done them yet.

Another nice perk I think, beside the drinks, of being D+ is the theatre/ice show/aqua theatre seating. Although sometime the seats are not always in the best place, it's nice to have that option and hopefully that won't go away soon, unless Royal decides it can make even more money by using those seats for Key guests or whatever class. Personally, and this is just us, if a good band/music act/musical is on in the theatre then we try to get in the first 4 rows anyway so we can hear and see what is happening. But if it is a comedian/magic show, then the D+ seats come into play for quick escape if necessary.

Another one is the free photo each. We don't go out our way to every photo op, but do make sure that they have taken enough so we can choose the decent ones.

The free laundry is nice too. We get a bag each, so we can get the clothes we arrived in washed and then wear them again to go home and also get the clothes we wore at the start of cruise washed too and put them in the case ready to go home and not have to wash them again once home.

Another one is the free bottle of Wine in your cabin, and if it's your birthday you get another too. In 2019 on the Indy we got a bottle on the 1st day, then another on the 2nd as that was the wife's birthday. 

Nice perk as we take these home and open them at other special occasions.

Yes, there are some nice perks that may be taken away at some point in the near future. I would imagine the drinks will be the first to amended in some fashion though, although I am sure some accountant somewhere, will strip back the others too.

Not tried Celebrity yet. Not planning on or rushing to get to Pinnacle anytime soon either. Just like cruising to where want to go and on what ships we like. However, if things changed so we could accrue points on RCI by using Celebrity then that may change things, but I doubt we would get that lucky now, given the state of the world.

Mick.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

It was mentioned in the Captains Club Webinar by the new President of Celebrity 

Yep, I watched it. The specific question was asked. She was sorta vague in her answer, danced around it, but did say that we would be hearing something about benefits changes, and we would be happy with the info in a few months.  Of course, Celebrity and RCI have always tried to cast a positive spin on any decision they make in THEIR best interest. 😂 Some of the things she said, I thought “How can you say that with a straight face? I’m impressed!” 🤣

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, Mick B said:

give with RCI's C&A program. Given the amount of D, D+ and P members surely their business model is no longer sustainable.

IMO the fairest way to tackle this is through reducing the status of people who don’t sail within a set time, perhaps 3 or 4 years. 
It’s called a loyalty program. If people haven’t sailed in that time they are not loyal and.therefore don’t deserve the benefits. I’m a member of other programs which reset your status after 12 months of no custom. 

Hi,

That would be interesting. That could be one way around it.

Would they cancel all your points or simply reduce them?

If they removed them totally, then that may create no incentive to cruise with them again anytime soon.

But, if you reduced their points, say 12 points for each year missed, then that may entice a passenger to book another cruise with them in order to keep their D and above status in tact as the drinks perk would be a massive incentive given the cost of the UDP.

Mick.

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Yes, I am on a river cruise.  And I also have four more with Viking booked that are ocean cruises.  

The point I was making, be it river or ocean...is the difference of our personal experience having great service, food, and care again.   It's still a cruise to us, but a breath of fresh air compared to the direction that RCI is moving towards.  I don't like the direction they are heading now, for so many reasons. It is not the same experience we used to have and enjoy years past. 

I agree. For the first time in 20 years we do not have any Royal cruises booked. Our late 2024/early 2025 calendar is pretty open, with nothing on Royal or Celebrity. 

Looking seriously at Viking but a couple things make us hesitate so far. Would love to do the fiver cruise itinerary you are on, but my DW’s mobility issue probably preclude such a port intensive itinerary.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 4:06 PM, smokeybandit said:

It makes no sense why RC would do this, unless they're kind of desperate to get more people on Celebrity cruises.

Recently, I received 1 point on Celebrity for answering a poll question. Since then, I get daily promos and incentives to sail with them.  I'm at D+ and D340 and I just don't see me sailing on Celebrity unless they match the main $ benefits such as solo supplement and balcony discounts.

I've sailed on the X brand a few times between NYC and Bermuda before Celebrity took them over.  However, I have no proof such as date(s) of sailing etc. to show to get points. 

Edited by nelblu

1 hour ago, Mick B said:

I wouldn't be too surprised if the DL wasn't rebranded the Diamond Plus Lounge soon as they would only have to stick a + sign on the door next to Diamond.

The place is mainly empty since the introduction of the new drink(s) policy.  I use the DL simply for my need to use the coffee machine and the printer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

The place is mainly empty since the introduction of the new drink(s) policy.  I use the DL simply for my need to use the coffee machine and the printer.

We've been on Med cruises where the DL is pretty empty, less than half dozen in there,  but our recent Serenade repo from TPA to BOS, the very small lounge was pretty packed during the peak time and even during the day it was busy.  The spill over VC lounge was pretty busy too.

Strangely enough, we now use the DL for the nice coffee, if and when the machine is in working order and not out of order for days/cruises on end. Sadly, as D+ we can no longer go into the CL and use theirs when our is broke, and I would not be surprised if when the CL machine is broke, they pinch the parts from the DL machine putting that out of order.

I have been in the DL for a drink during happy hour recently, and yes the numbers are now low in there, and this is possibly because you can use your vouchers at most any bar at any time and on some ships the DL is out of the way of everything else, like on 14th floor and waiting for a lift can take time as sometimes as you will know, only 1 or 2 lifts access that floor on one side of the ship, although you can take the stairs for the last floor or 2.

I wonder if the DL was to close completely, if RCI would put a voucher on your sea pass for a free coffee drink at the cafe or make you use a drinks voucher?

Mick.

46 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I agree. For the first time in 20 years we do not have any Royal cruises booked. Our late 2024/early 2025 calendar is pretty open, with nothing on Royal or Celebrity. 

Looking seriously at Viking but a couple things make us hesitate so far. Would love to do the fiver cruise itinerary you are on, but my DW’s mobility issue probably preclude such a port intensive itinerary.

mac_tlc

No worries...you and your wife can pick and choose the excursions you want to be on.  We have several of what the CD calls "Gentle walkers".   Wheel chairs, walkers, etc.   The age group on this voyage (as with many Viking cruises) are on the elderly side.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2