The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday October 6th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning to everyone and thanks for the reports. Sitting on the deck in the port of San Pedro!  Beautiful day here. Since I grew up in CA been here done that. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians!

have a great day everybody!

• Like 21

5 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

The Sabin vaccine began the end of polio and iron lungs.

Don't forget about the Salk Polio Vaccine which was licensed in April 1955, some 2 years before the Sabin vaccine. The Salk vaccine was by injection, the Sabin vaccine was oral.  

Jane

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We're booked!  28-day Alaska/Arctic Circle 2025.  Turns out this one isn't on the $99 deposit deal (my mistake) but the deposit wasn't too bad. It will be nice to not have to fly to/from the port for once.

Do you have room in your suitcase for 1 stowaway?

Congrats on booking; it sounds like an awesome itinerary. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

A nice, sunny day here in the Pacific NW.  Should go to 75 today.  Have my monthly eye injection for AMD later this afternoon.  Did something today that I have never done in roughly 1300 days of cruising.  Bought insurance for our next cruise.  Was surprised at how inexpensive it is; roughly 7% of the cruise cost.  Bought it through the cruise line (Seabourn) and had until final payment to purchase it.

We have been around Australia, but I don't remember stopping at Albany.  The next cruise has some stops at some unusual ports there; Moreton Island, Airlie Beach, Townsville, and Cooktown, plus Cairns and Darwin.  One of the advantages of sailing on smaller cruise ships.

Ray

• Like 15

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Graham for your posts today.  I'm glad you find the photos and descriptions interesting.  Congratulations to you and Pauline on the anniversary of your engagement!  I hope you both celebrate this important date in some manner.  I'm sure you will!  Stay safe and especially, stay well! 🤗

Thank you Sandi.

Dinner tonight.

Prawn Cocktail.

Ciabata bread.

Mixed grill.

Haddock and chips (no photo).

Bottle of Ned Sauvignon blanc New Zealand Marlborough.

IMG_20231006_181405.jpg

IMG_20231006_181408.jpg

IMG_20231006_185040.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn. Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all Canadians.

I'll salute PA's and Come and Take it Day. Interesting quote. Pass on the meal (fish) and drink. I would try the wine. I have been to Australia, but I haven't been to Albany. Both important days in history. Prior to Sabin's vaccine, Salk worked here at Pitt on an inactivated vaccine. There are still people around that participated in his vaccine trials. 

It's dreary and rainy here, with a temp of 67F. I had another poor night of sleep. I was so tired that I ate some chocolate covered coffee beans before going to PT late morning. I might try for a nap, but I normally can't nap. I also noticed what I think is a ganglion cyst on my wrist; I had one years ago on the other side, and it spontaneously resolved (I hope that happens with this one).

@StLouisCruisers I have my DM's notation of my getting 3 injections (Salk) for Polio in 1956 also, but I seem to remember getting the sugar cube later (Sabin). Great photos from Albany. 

@grapau27 Felicitations to you and Pauline on the anniversary of your engagement!

@Crazy For Cats Jake, I'm glad you're feeling better today. Don't work too hard on the house!

@RMLincoln I'm glad that DH's bloodwork was relatively good, and hope he's able to decrease or discontinue some of the eye meds. Enjoy your retreat.

@smitty34877 So good to hear that you had a nice night out with your DB and DSIL. You deserve time to decompress and relax a bit. Continued prayers for Tana.

@Cruzin Terri Hugs to you and DH on this sad anniversary of DBIL's passing.

@Haljo1935 I hope your cough is gone soon.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the explanation of Come and Take it Day.

@rafinmd Thanks for the sunset photo.

@Cruising-along Congrats on the new cruise booking!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, superoma said:

I find that they roll these out at staggered times. My iPad was updated about a week ago and my iPhone before that. My dh’s iPad never updates on the same day as mine. Always good to do updates since often they are correcting software issues

The need to update I Phone due to security issues was on the news today. That’s how I found out.

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I also noticed what I think is a ganglion cyst on my wrist; I had one years ago on the other side, and it spontaneously resolved (I hope that happens with this one).

Vanessa, I had one of those on the joint of my pointer finger and it really hurt!  They are tough and that is why they are called Bible thumpers.  People used to beat on them with their Bibles or any big books to make them burst.   I poked mine with my lancet for testing blood sugar and squeezed out some fluid.  It resolved by itself after that.  I think lancing it and relieving some of the pressure helped a lot.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Well, we received a call from the floor guy today.  To my horror, he is returning to tear up the bedroom floor for the third time.  You can only imagine how thrilled I am about this,

He will be here on October 16. I cannot wait until this is over once and for all.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 9

The Pinnacle Raspberry Lemonade sounds quite refreshing!

Best wishes and strength for all those on the care list. 

An exciting day for my husband and I ,  we booked another Holland America cruise! 

We're really looking forward to the two we've planned so far 😀

March 29 2024 9 nights on Rotterdam

December 7 14 nights on Nieuw Statendam

@aliaschief I think I'll celebrate that holiday tomorrow !

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Aha!  Good afternoon Dailyites! I'm so tired I can't remember if I wished you all a good morning or not.  I am going to try for a nap as I slept awfully last night.  I'm stressing out over my upcoming Rome to Home trip.  I do this before cruises, I dream about playing a game that is part suduko part word search, and the numbers change to letters and the letters change to numbers, and I have no idea what is doing on, but I keep trying to play.  I wake up, throw a cat off me, readjust and go back to the same dream over and over. I think total amount of sleep i think was about 3 hours.

Then I went to PT and she informed me that I was tense.  ummmmmmmmm. Yes. And when my exercises were over she went over what I can do on the cruise in the gym (I provided pictures) and applied serious pressure to my muscles in my back.  This was not a soothing or pain free experience.

I came home and DH was vacuuming, which made me realize that I should help, so I cleaned off the desk where I am sitting now, vacuumed the living room/office area, and knocked down all the spider webs in the house, they love to move in during the fall.  I apologized to each spider.

And now to nap.

animals-cat-feline-cat_behaviour-feline_behaviour-cat_owner-kben517_low.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon.  We got some expensive good news today.  The vibration problem with the convertible goes back to the piece of firewood I ran over last fall.  Yes, I hit it, but the real blame as far as I'm concerned belongs to the idiot who did not secure a load of firewood, which was lost over at least a mile of highway.  Running over the wood and landing on the pavement as hard as I did  damaged or broke the left front CV joint, in addition to the wheel and the tire.  We still don't understand why the alignment place did not check the CV joint and fix it.  The car will be ready Monday afternoon in time on Wednesday to take DH to his final spine surgeon appointment and then to UTSW so the nurse practioner can check him out and remove all those lovely, shiny, stainless steel staples.  BTW, the incision is looking better, but I still will not horrify my Daily family with pictures.  The other part of the good news, is my work on the sparkplugs and ignition coils was not the problem.  

Since there is now no rush on fixing the fuel leak problem on the "fishing" car, we are having them repair another fuel line problem.  I'm thankful that I did not have to work on the fuel problems.  I don't want to get under the car, and the second problem would be a pain to fix.

8 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all.

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Dixie, Debbie and Ann for your dedication to keeping this thread going on a daily basis.

interesting Days.

Very interesting and true quote.  

i think i will skip the meal.  Curry and I do not go well together.

The drink and wine look like they would be a hit.

I have not been to Australia.

i have nothing much planned for today except get the month’s finances in order so that it is not a mad rush before we go away.  

I am starting to feel the crunch with a number of things to do before we leave.

One of the things I have to do is get a lot of old documents together for shredding.  Our town is having a free shredding event on October 14 and each household is limited to 2 small boxes of paper. This is good.  We used to have these periodically prior to the pandemic and then they stopped.  So this is welcome.  However, I need to get these sensitive papers together.  Then on the 14th get there early because once the trucks are full, they close up.

Today is the second anniversary of my DBIL’s passing.  He was such a special person and so much a part of our lives for so many years. It was an honor to care for him and it gave me a whole new perspective on special needs persons.  I know that DH still misses him.  Would you believe that we are still trying to settle the estate?  The court is really taking their sweet old time.

Prayers for everyone and cheers for those celebrating and cruising.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, you and your DH are in our thoughts on this sad anniversary.  I hope the flooring guy will get the floor right this time.

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's a foggy morning here, but we'll have summer temperatures today and tomorrow 🤣  75 today and 79 tomorrow, then a sharp fall in temps.  Sometimes it seems that summer just doesn't want to give up this year.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I also looked up Come and Take it Day and will pass.  I always got a kick out of the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland.  I sent a Happy PA Day to our DSIL this morning.  He's a great PA and his patients love him.  He also gives his DMIL and DFIL great medical advice!

I would like the drink but pass on the red wine.  Not sure about the meal, but the recipe Debbie @dfishchose for me would most likely be the one I'd like. 😄 Thanks!

I agree that any reading to a child works.  Our son was reading to me by the age of 4.  We will be in Albany on the GA, thanks for the photos Sandi @StLouisCruisers!  We have a "sea safari" private tour booked that day.

I think I was 6 when I got the polio vaccine.  We laugh now because my Mom had them put it on my thigh (so it wouldn't be visible).  Little did she know that less than 10 years later all the girls were wearing mini skirts!!  🤣  It really isn't that visible anyway.

I checked on my friend Ronda yesterday who is in the hospital with a kidney abscess and stones.  She's making tiny steps of progress, they put her on an antibiotic and will do some scans. Hoping she can go home on Sunday if this works.  Then she will have to deal with getting the stones taken care of.  Her blood sugar is more under control now (not great but way better than it was). She'll be seeing a urologist for the stones and going to a Diabetes class.  Vanessa @JazzyV thank you for putting her on the care list -- I don't know how you keep up with all off us.  She can probably be taken off now that she isn't in immediate danger anymore and things seem to be falling in place finally.  Many thanks!

Today we're waiting for a call back from our PCC.  We (I) got a wild hair yesterday and found a cruise to book for 2025.  Taking advantage of the $99 deposit.  It's round trip Seattle (huge plus for us), the 28-day Alaska/Arctic Circle. Another plus, it would be gone over the 4th of July and we'd miss all the booming explosions in our neighborhood. 😉  

Carolyn, I looked at that cruise for 2024 and would love to do it either then or in 2025.  Right now, we are still not booking cruises.  We'll wait until things settle down a bit more.

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

A nice, sunny day here in the Pacific NW.  Should go to 75 today.  Have my monthly eye injection for AMD later this afternoon.  Did something today that I have never done in roughly 1300 days of cruising.  Bought insurance for our next cruise.  Was surprised at how inexpensive it is; roughly 7% of the cruise cost.  Bought it through the cruise line (Seabourn) and had until final payment to purchase it.

We have been around Australia, but I don't remember stopping at Albany.  The next cruise has some stops at some unusual ports there; Moreton Island, Airlie Beach, Townsville, and Cooktown, plus Cairns and Darwin.  One of the advantages of sailing on smaller cruise ships.

Ray

Ray, I think you will enjoy Cairns and Darwin.  We visited those two towns in 2002 on the Volendam.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn. Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all Canadians.

I'll salute PA's and Come and Take it Day. Interesting quote. Pass on the meal (fish) and drink. I would try the wine. I have been to Australia, but I haven't been to Albany. Both important days in history. Prior to Sabin's vaccine, Salk worked here at Pitt on an inactivated vaccine. There are still people around that participated in his vaccine trials. 

It's dreary and rainy here, with a temp of 67F. I had another poor night of sleep. I was so tired that I ate some chocolate covered coffee beans before going to PT late morning. I might try for a nap, but I normally can't nap. I also noticed what I think is a ganglion cyst on my wrist; I had one years ago on the other side, and it spontaneously resolved (I hope that happens with this one).

@StLouisCruisers I have my DM's notation of my getting 3 injections (Salk) for Polio in 1956 also, but I seem to remember getting the sugar cube later (Sabin). Great photos from Albany. 

@grapau27 Felicitations to you and Pauline on the anniversary of your engagement!

@Crazy For Cats Jake, I'm glad you're feeling better today. Don't work too hard on the house!

@RMLincoln I'm glad that DH's bloodwork was relatively good, and hope he's able to decrease or discontinue some of the eye meds. Enjoy your retreat.

@smitty34877 So good to hear that you had a nice night out with your DB and DSIL. You deserve time to decompress and relax a bit. Continued prayers for Tana.

@Cruzin Terri Hugs to you and DH on this sad anniversary of DBIL's passing.

@Haljo1935 I hope your cough is gone soon.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the explanation of Come and Take it Day.

@rafinmd Thanks for the sunset photo.

@Cruising-along Congrats on the new cruise booking!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm sorry you are still having trouble sleeping.  My explanation of the day is the Texas version.  You know Texans have a habit of being somewhat different.  My memory failed me today.  It was not at the battle of Goliad, but the battle Gonzales.  The cannon still exists, but the carriage is a reproduction.  Looking on Google, the meaning of the day the October 6 day is different.  Holiday Insights has a good explanation of the day.

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

We have enjoyed our two days in Amsterdam before boarding Rotterdam tomorrow. 

20231005_193853.jpg

20231005_193847.jpg

20231005_164113.jpg

20231006_143210.jpg

Thanks for the pictures from Amsterdam.  We've always enjoyed our time in that city.

41 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Aha!  Good afternoon Dailyites! I'm so tired I can't remember if I wished you all a good morning or not.  I am going to try for a nap as I slept awfully last night.  I'm stressing out over my upcoming Rome to Home trip.  I do this before cruises, I dream about playing a game that is part suduko part word search, and the numbers change to letters and the letters change to numbers, and I have no idea what is doing on, but I keep trying to play.  I wake up, throw a cat off me, readjust and go back to the same dream over and over. I think total amount of sleep i think was about 3 hours.

Then I went to PT and she informed me that I was tense.  ummmmmmmmm. Yes. And when my exercises were over she went over what I can do on the cruise in the gym (I provided pictures) and applied serious pressure to my muscles in my back.  This was not a soothing or pain free experience.

I came home and DH was vacuuming, which made me realize that I should help, so I cleaned off the desk where I am sitting now, vacuumed the living room/office area, and knocked down all the spider webs in the house, they love to move in during the fall.  I apologized to each spider.

And now to nap.

animals-cat-feline-cat_behaviour-feline_behaviour-cat_owner-kben517_low.jpg

Annie, I hope you can quit stressing about your trip.  It will turn out all right and you'll have a relaxing and fun cruise.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

I have been following the tale of the radio station in North Carolina that decided to drop six broadcasts of the Metropolitan Opera season. The reasons given were that the works were not in classical music style, depicted violence and adult themes, contained bad language, and were in English. Several people people pointed out that various of the other operas, those that the station would allow, were vulnerable to the same objections, except that they weren't in English, so I guess no one would notice.

The station has since reversed its position, but there were several new or newish operas in the list that I thought I'd like to see. One that I have seen, at the Washington National Opera, is Dead Man Walking, based on the book by Sister Helen Prejean, which has become one of the most-performed operas in the U.S. The Met's production will star Joyce De Donato and Ryan McKinny, who is singing the role of De Rocher almost everywhere right now.

Two are by Black composers and have Black casts. One of these is about Malcolm X. A third, El Niño, is about the Nativity, with lyrics in English, Spanish, and Latin.

One of them is running in November, and I'd have to go to it soon after returning from the Spanish Farewell (obligatory cruise tie-in). Since I'm going to New York at the beginning of January for a cruise from Cape Liberty, I'll probably let that one go by. In New York I might see Nabucco, by Verdi, which is about the Babylonian conquest of Jerusalem in the 6th century B.C.E. and probably not controversial.

Two others are playing consecutively a couple of times in April, but I can't buy tickets now, because I don't know what day my class in the spring will meet. And I need to order Glimmerglass tickets as soon as possible, not because it's hard to get tickets, but because it's hard to book rooms in Cooperstown.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, superoma said:

https://www.smyril-line.com Is a ferry service that also stops in the Faroe Islands. 

i saw a tv programme about it, might have been the mighty cruise ships one on discovery, not sure.

I'm aware of the Norröna from a visit to the Faroes several years ago (on Atlantic Airways, not the ship), but that route doesn't go to Ireland.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, I looked at that cruise for 2024 and would love to do it either then or in 2025.  Right now, we are still not booking cruises.  We'll wait until things settle down a bit more.

Lenda that would be great if you can come on the 2025 cruise!

I agree that people should be more careful with their loads on the road.  A few years ago I hit a gardening tool that fell out of a truck -- luckily it didn't damage my car. 

• Like 7