Barcelona or Rome options for start of cruise?

davide2002

Good day everyone and what a wonderful community here.  Here's my situation.  I'm planning a family reunion cruise for July or August of 2025.  I have it narrowed down to 2 departure ports which are Rome and Barcelona as the itinerary is nearly identical.  I'm trying to make it fair since the family members are concentrated in Canada and the Middle East  and a Mediterranean cruise semsfair for both.  We are all of Italian heritage so hitting Rome and Napoli is a bonus as that opens opportunities for our Italian relatives to potentially meet us for the day in Rome or Napoli.  

A few tips would be appreciated.   In terms of making things as simplifiedas possible, is Rome and Barcelona equal for getting to ports etc? I read Barcelona is the closest to any port in Europe but should this be a deciding factor when rolling out our options? I'm the sole planner so I just want to present this properly.   Thanks for your time, appreciate all feedback.  

• Like 1

First, let me offer my condolences and empathy for being the sole planner. It’s a thankless job. If your like me, you’ll spend the whole trip worried about making everyone else happy. Since you have an international family, I assume you are used international travel. I always say “Plan for the worst, hope for the best”. 
It’s been a long time since being in either port. We found Barcelona MUCH simpler than Rome. Mostly because the “Rome” port is not in Rome. Having said that, as long as you plan to get everyone there a day ahead and plan for the unexpected delays, it sound like Rome would fit your travel agenda better. And if you speak Italian, it will be easier for you than most. As a city, I think Rome is more impressive: just my opinion. 
The rail system is super easy to use all over Europe. Keep in mind, Italy often has strikes that can affect train travel, taxis, and other transportation. If you plan to get their early, you have at least a day buffer to figure out something else. If you are concerned about getting to the actual port town from Rome, you can always go back to the Rome airport and arrange a transfer through your cruise line from the airport. That’s the safest way since if there is a problem they will hold the cruise for you or get you to the next port of call. 
That would also get you all to one central place from which you can begin your adventure. 

• Like 1

Given your Italian heritage and expressed interest in possibly meeting relatives, Rome seems like the obvious choice. But it also makes sense to have everyone arrive in Rome a few days in advance of embarkation. First, to get over the inevitable jet lag. Second, to allow for people arriving at different times. And third, to allow some leeway in arranging the meeting with your Italian relatives. And having a couple of days to actually explore the wonders of Rome wouldn't go amiss either. Transportation from Rome to the cruise port in Civitavecchia  isn't difficult.  With a group, you may find it more economical and/or convenient to use  a transfer service. The Ports of Call forum can offer suggestions, but Rome Cabs ( they aren't taxis) is often recommended.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, davide2002 said:

Good day everyone and what a wonderful community here.  Here's my situation.  I'm planning a family reunion cruise for July or August of 2025.  I have it narrowed down to 2 departure ports which are Rome and Barcelona as the itinerary is nearly identical.  I'm trying to make it fair since the family members are concentrated in Canada and the Middle East  and a Mediterranean cruise semsfair for both.  We are all of Italian heritage so hitting Rome and Napoli is a bonus as that opens opportunities for our Italian relatives to potentially meet us for the day in Rome or Napoli.  

A few tips would be appreciated.   In terms of making things as simplifiedas possible, is Rome and Barcelona equal for getting to ports etc? I read Barcelona is the closest to any port in Europe but should this be a deciding factor when rolling out our options? I'm the sole planner so I just want to present this properly.   Thanks for your time, appreciate all feedback.  

I think it would depend on what if anything you plan to do before or after the cruise. Barcelona is more centrally located for the port. The port in Rome is not actually in Rome. It is in Civitaveccia which is about 1 1/2 hours north of Rome. This is a very quaint little Italian community. There is a wonderful hotel there called the San Giorgio that is only a short distance to the port, and they offer a free shuttle for hotel guests. The hotel is across the street from the Mediterranean Sea. Just spectacular views. Barcelona is a great city to explore, but I think Rome hands down has it beat. But that's just MHO. The City of Rome is literally a museum. Spend a week in Rome either before or after your cruise. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Best of luck with your planning.        

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Szt said:

First, let me offer my condolences and empathy for being the sole planner. It’s a thankless job. If your like me, you’ll spend the whole trip worried about making everyone else happy. Since you have an international family, I assume you are used international travel. I always say “Plan for the worst, hope for the best”. 
It’s been a long time since being in either port. We found Barcelona MUCH simpler than Rome. Mostly because the “Rome” port is not in Rome. Having said that, as long as you plan to get everyone there a day ahead and plan for the unexpected delays, it sound like Rome would fit your travel agenda better. And if you speak Italian, it will be easier for you than most. As a city, I think Rome is more impressive: just my opinion. 
The rail system is super easy to use all over Europe. Keep in mind, Italy often has strikes that can affect train travel, taxis, and other transportation. If you plan to get their early, you have at least a day buffer to figure out something else. If you are concerned about getting to the actual port town from Rome, you can always go back to the Rome airport and arrange a transfer through your cruise line from the airport. That’s the safest way since if there is a problem they will hold the cruise for you or get you to the next port of call. 
That would also get you all to one central place from which you can begin your adventure. 

Thank you very much for your reply. Great tip about using cruise transfers in case of anything,  This planning is an undertaking but in some strange way truly excites me knowing that if I pull this off, it really could be a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity.  I first put this out to the family 6 months ago with a 2 year window to allow for planning dates and finances. Everyone seems super enthusiastic but well see next November when it's time to place a deposit and commit. 

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Given your Italian heritage and expressed interest in possibly meeting relatives, Rome seems like the obvious choice. But it also makes sense to have everyone arrive in Rome a few days in advance of embarkation. First, to get over the inevitable jet lag. Second, to allow for people arriving at different times. And third, to allow some leeway in arranging the meeting with your Italian relatives. And having a couple of days to actually explore the wonders of Rome wouldn't go amiss either. Transportation from Rome to the cruise port in Civitavecchia  isn't difficult.  With a group, you may find it more economical and/or convenient to use  a transfer service. The Ports of Call forum can offer suggestions, but Rome Cabs ( they aren't taxis) is often recommended.

I'm going to suggest arriving in Rome at least 2 days earlier minimum. Thx. 90 minutes seems far but I'm leaning towards Roma too.

1 hour ago, JJK2008 said:

I think it would depend on what if anything you plan to do before or after the cruise. Barcelona is more centrally located for the port. The port in Rome is not actually in Rome. It is in Civitaveccia which is about 1 1/2 hours north of Rome. This is a very quaint little Italian community. There is a wonderful hotel there called the San Giorgio that is only a short distance to the port, and they offer a free shuttle for hotel guests. The hotel is across the street from the Mediterranean Sea. Just spectacular views. Barcelona is a great city to explore, but I think Rome hands down has it beat. But that's just MHO. The City of Rome is literally a museum. Spend a week in Rome either before or after your cruise. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Best of luck with your planning.        

Great info and thanks for the hotel tip too. I really think it needs to be Rome but we'll see when booking comes up next year.  I may put it to a vote.

19 minutes ago, davide2002 said:

Thank you very much for your reply. Great tip about using cruise transfers in case of anything,  This planning is an undertaking but in some strange way truly excites me knowing that if I pull this off, it really could be a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity.  I first put this out to the family 6 months ago with a 2 year window to allow for planning dates and finances. Everyone seems super enthusiastic but well see next November when it's time to place a deposit and commit. 

I planned our destination wedding in Punta Cana a while back. I had people coming from different countries, and different languages, elderly parents and their needs, an autistic niece, an obnoxious ex, and sisters on both sides who were less than helpful. We pulled it off and it was wonderful! Though the term “like herding cats” was used a LOT!

• Haha 2

Hmmm...very interesting questions. Having been to both places at least once (3  times in the case of Rome), I would say are your plans to have a few days before, after, or both, to explore the home port city? If only one city, I would suggest you devote your explorations to Rome....far, far more interesting a city. If you have time for both cities,  it doesn't really matter.

Other issues,  like transportation to/from the port can be resolved with a little research and planning. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, davide2002 said:

In terms of making things as simplifiedas possible, is Rome and Barcelona equal for getting to ports etc?

In Barcelona it's possible to walk to port since it's located in the middle of town! 

We think that Barcelona is the best town to embark in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Hmmm...very interesting questions. Having been to both places at least once (3  times in the case of Rome), I would say are your plans to have a few days before, after, or both, to explore the home port city? If only one city, I would suggest you devote your explorations to Rome....far, far more interesting a city. If you have time for both cities,  it doesn't really matter.

Other issues,  like transportation to/from the port can be resolved with a little research and planning. 

I decided on Rome for the simple fact that it was a fair middle ground being we were coming from Canada and the others from the Middle East.   I did also think it would give the others a great opportunity before or after to explore Rome since they were there tor anyone that wants to.

Personally if you have never been you can’t beat Rome with all the history. However Barcelona has an added buzz and closer to the port. 

Have you thought of starting in one of the ports and finishing in the other? (I know not what you asked) and then can experience both of them?

If so I’d start with Barcelona, less frantic imo and I think easier to get over the jet lag, then end the cruise with a few days in Rome. 

17 hours ago, davide2002 said:

You may want to keep an eye out for deployment schedules. Given your large group and need for multiple cabins, it may be to your advantage to book as soon as schedules are released for the best choice of cabins and, probably, best price. Itineraries for July 2025 will be released well before November 2024, if I understand your planning correctly. Also, going through a travel agent could reduce your workload tremendously on this and net you some perks as well, such as onboard credit. 

i do all trip planning for my husband and me, I actually love “getting to know” a place before we visit through research and online exploration. This site is a wonderful resource. 

8 hours ago, wineoclock said:

Personally if you have never been you can’t beat Rome with all the history. However Barcelona has an added buzz and closer to the port. 

Have you thought of starting in one of the ports and finishing in the other? (I know not what you asked) and then can experience both of them?

If so I’d start with Barcelona, less frantic imo and I think easier to get over the jet lag, then end the cruise with a few days in Rome. 

I'll consider that for sure.  I'm just trying to make it as easy as possible for all.  We would like to take an 8 to 10 day cruise so I will have to see if that fits in.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaD22 said:

You may want to keep an eye out for deployment schedules. Given your large group and need for multiple cabins, it may be to your advantage to book as soon as schedules are released for the best choice of cabins and, probably, best price. Itineraries for July 2025 will be released well before November 2024, if I understand your planning correctly. Also, going through a travel agent could reduce your workload tremendously on this and net you some perks as well, such as onboard credit. 

i do all trip planning for my husband and me, I actually love “getting to know” a place before we visit through research and online exploration. This site is a wonderful resource. 

Thanks Linda.  We have always used '*****' for us personally but am open to whoever can do the best for us certainly. They currently have a drink package promo included.  I'm hoping it's still there next year.    To give you some context, I am hoping for at least 15 of us but we will see next November. The complexity of this is with me.  I won't be able to select my holidays until Next November/Dec...it's a union process.  At that point, I need to present my 2 weeks to the group and then it's quite the scramble because we all need to be on board to secure flights, deposits etc based on the 2 weeks I get....all I know is that it will be 2 consecutive weeks in July or August.I have been conditioning them all for the past 6 months so I hope they don't let me down lol. It looks as though NCL is the line that offers the itineraries we want so I have it narrowed down to Norwegian as well.  Always open to tips from everyone.  Great community here!

• Like 1

For your Italian heritage, the choice of Rome is sort of a no- brainer even though Barcelona is closer to the port. It really isn't hard to get to from the port, and I agree with others to look on the Italy board for suggested companies to hire with a larger group. There are so many popular areas around Rome.  I would do my homework, choose a hotel, and pounce on the reservation when you get your dates.

• Like 1

@davide2002

A little off topic I know, but here will be times when you will feel like you are "herding cats" when trying to wrangle your family. Perhaps something in this oldie but goody Cruise Critic article last updated August 20, 2018 will be helpful: Planning a Family Reunion Cruise (cruisecritic.com)

Even though it is about cruising with friends, perhaps something will be helpful in this newer article last updated July 07, 2023: 7 Tips for Cruising With Friends (cruisecritic.com)

And if there will be first time cruisers in your family group, you will be peppered with all sorts of questions about cruising. I speak from experience! My first cruise in '88 was a family group cruise. My DH and I were the only virgin cruisers in the group and had many questions (& fears to be squashed!) for our group leader. Again, perhaps something in this oldie but goody article last updated January 07, 2020 will be helpful: First-Time Cruise Tips (cruisecritic.com)

Hope you and the rest of the family have a wonderful cruise!

Host Kat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Kat said:

@davide2002

A little off topic I know, but here will be times when you will feel like you are "herding cats" when trying to wrangle your family. Perhaps something in this oldie but goody Cruise Critic article last updated August 20, 2018 will be helpful: Planning a Family Reunion Cruise (cruisecritic.com)

Even though it is about cruising with friends, perhaps something will be helpful in this newer article last updated July 07, 2023: 7 Tips for Cruising With Friends (cruisecritic.com)

And if there will be first time cruisers in your family group, you will be peppered with all sorts of questions about cruising. I speak from experience! My first cruise in '88 was a family group cruise. My DH and I were the only virgin cruisers in the group and had many questions (& fears to be squashed!) for our group leader. Again, perhaps something in this oldie but goody article last updated January 07, 2020 will be helpful: First-Time Cruise Tips (cruisecritic.com)

Host Kat

This is awesome!  Thanks alot.  there will be quite a few first time cruisers.  I will definitely share this document you provided.  I have kept myself open to any questions from the group and there haven't been many but am waiting for the 'I heard the ships rock alot' etc...

Thank you!  I will go through the planning ones tonight.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host Kat said:

@davide2002

Host Kat

Kat.  Awesome first time cruiser resource.  Should I share this now...? Way I see it is the earlier the better.  I gotta be honest.  I initiated this proposal to do a cruise reunion ( there's no better way to do so imo while still allowing others to choose what they wanna do during the stops) the common necessity woukd be all of us together for dinner.  The rest is up to their choice.

3 minutes ago, davide2002 said:

Kat.  Awesome first time cruiser resource.  Should I share this now...? Way I see it is the earlier the better.  I gotta be honest.  I initiated this proposal to do a cruise reunion ( there's no better way to do so imo while still allowing others to choose what they wanna do during the stops) the common necessity woukd be all of us together for dinner.  The rest is up to their choice.

We have done and still do a lot of family & friend group cruises.   The only common commitment everyone makes is dinner together.  Everything else is open but typically the group will stay pretty much together.  Seems to almost happen organically.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

In Barcelona it's possible to walk to port since it's located in the middle of town! 

This will no longer be possible as Barcelona has changed port locations from the end of this month. You will now have a 30 minute shuttle bus ride.

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023/10/13/cruise-passengers-in-barcelona-will-no-longer-be-able-to-stop-in-the-city-centre#:~:text=The giant vessels will no,ride from the city centre.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, davide2002 said:

@davide2002

As for sharing the links now... well I have to say as a non-paid volunteer Host here on the message boards... get them to join Cruise Critic NOW!  That way they will be well informed about cruising before the cruise. All of the great information here cannot be absorbed from a few links to some oldie but goody Cruise Critic articles since some things may have changed since they were published. Much better for current information to come from other cruisers.

As stated in the Guidelines, "Cruise Critic's Community is comprised of people who absolutely LOVE cruising. We all benefit from the exchange of advice that takes place within our Cruise Community; this is a cooperative effort which depends on all of you to make it work well..." and "... Our mission is provide a haven on the internet, if you will, that will provide a resource for those planning a cruise and for those that love cruising..."

Here is my recent post to another new member on how things work around here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2968882-first-cruise-reaching-out-on-unbooked-activities/#comment-66265597 Any questions about that info just tell the family to let me know with a new topic/thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum.

And yes, I agree with @ldubs regarding everyone meet up at least once a day. In our group nobody is "joined at the hip" with others in the group, but dinner together is best for us too. We have all our bookings for dinner in the MDR linked together by our TA so we are all seated together. That's when everyone tells about their day, shows pictures, etc. And then everyone tells what their plans are for the next day. And of course, on the last night we all bemoan the fact the cruise is almost over.

Happy sails to you and the family,

Host Kat

• Like 3

19 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Barcelona is changing where ships dock fromOctober 2023, I think.  Would be use to check, but I think you’re leaning towards Rome anyway.

Shame if they are changing port docking in Barcelona, it was so convenient.