TK to Go, Solis the New Innovation.

2seabournsailors

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I hate to be a party pooper, but the outside eating area for TK is only on the Encore and Ovation, on the three smaller ships the grill is on the same deck as the Colonnade, though maybe they could serve the grill meals outside as well?  Could be tricky.

Oh yes, I should have realised this as I was typing!  The TKG on the smaller ships is a quite different set up as far as size.  

So lis is it? The replacement for TK. No real surprise that Keller's days were numbered but on reading the paragraph upon paragraph of "marketing speak" contained in the release from Seabourn I am now concerned. It's very light on detail about the new menu or menu's .At the very least I would have  expected a sample menu.

I recall  a  meal of the stock rich clam chowder and excellent brined Chicken being one of the finest experienced at sea. The sourcing of the meat and fish was also top draw.

So with an open mind we will sample the new concept but in my view it has a steep hill to climb.

I’ve figured that something was up for awhile now, being unable to make TKG reservations. We liked TKG and built our meal around their very good tableside Caesar, which we will miss. Earth and Ocean is our favorite dining venue and we are not fans of the main dining room or the Collonade. Hopefully Solis will be a good addition. The concept sounded loose in the press release and as others have said, a sample menu this close should be available and not just a couple of examples.

1 hour ago, Mauzac said:

Oh yes, I should have realised this as I was typing!  The TKG on the smaller ships is a quite different set up as far as size.  

I know the restaurant area on Quest and Sojourn will be small---but we have found it pleasant to be able to dine in a small cozy area.  I do think additional outdoor dining will enhance the experience on Ovation and Encore.  

I wonder if new decor is in the mix?  Did I see a drawing of the smaller restaurant area with a new look?  I don't mind the look of the TK Grill on the larger ships.  Will they be changing that too?

25 minutes ago, adoctor said:

So lis is it? The replacement for TK. No real surprise that Keller's days were numbered but on reading the paragraph upon paragraph of "marketing speak" contained in the release from Seabourn I am now concerned. It's very light on detail about the new menu or menu's .At the very least I would have  expected a sample menu.

I recall  a  meal of the stock rich clam chowder and excellent brined Chicken being one of the finest experienced at sea. The sourcing of the meat and fish was also top draw.

So with an open mind we will sample the new concept but in my view it has a steep hill to climb.

I saw a sample menu which was posted in a Facebook group.  It looked appealing to me.  

Edited by SLSD

What's the old saying, something like "you can't please everyone". I know some will be disappointed but some are happy that a huge portion of the budget went to a Chef who some of us weren't so keen on take on his American homestyle food. I enjoyed some of his dishes but they could be hit and miss and weren't what I look for when dining out.

Interesting comment about the TK nights at Colonnade as I had forgotten about those so I will be curious to see what they replace it with. Again not meals I went to usually.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

One would hope that they might carry on with the fried chicken and any other really popular dishes - they know how to cook them!  Probably with enough tweaks that TK could not accuse them of plagiarism, or whatever you might call it.

• Like 1

Yes it looks good, although we travel a lot in the Med, and have another home over there, so some of the dishes are a bit what we are used to.  

However, they are doing bouillabaisse so I'll let them off 😁

I am sure it will be great and we look forward to trying Solis on our Feb Quest cruise!

Fine with me. Being tied to a third party brand which drew extraordinary resources away from the general provisioning budget was a mistake that now is being resolved. Good for Natalya, sayonara Meadows.

And now maybe the large aft area behind the TKGs on Encore and Ovation can be used for something, you know, for the passengers. How ‘bout that? Then there’s the rumor that the meister of TKG had vetoed its use while he was running the show. Smart move.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Mr L,

We are thinking of you in these troubled times. It was ever thus.

Remember that hope springs eternal for the believer. You know what to do. I am sure of it.

May I recommend that when you are ready to do so you venture back downstairs to the MDR for a fresh try? You may find that with a redistribution of budgets you will encounter a few new recipes to enjoy.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

One would hope that they might carry on with the fried chicken and any other really popular dishes - they know how to cook them!  Probably with enough tweaks that TK could not accuse them of plagiarism, or whatever you might call it.

I hope so but I bet they would have a tough time legally. 

45 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

I hope so but I bet they would have a tough time legally. 

Many years ago there was really delicious fried chicken on Seabourn but I only remember it from the Galley Lunches. I’m sure they could do it again but probably have to buy new fryers as the ones they have been using were TK Fryers.

• Like 1

Another item, not mentioned yet, regarding Keller: What about the Patio (by the pool) lunches? Changes from the dogs, burgers, chips/frys, etc.? I imagine that there will be changes there, too.

IMHO, Regarding the TK Grill, after the 5th time or more, it no longer has much (other than great service for us) for us. The portions have been cut down (great thing), the cookies are good (according to my wife), but there is so much that is the same, time and again. I'm looking forward to Solis.

Best, jdk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

I liked the fried chicken, but that was just on the smaller ships, wasn't it? I heard they couldn't get a TK fryer in Encore and Ovation, which sounds strange. But can't the new chef semi-duplicate fried chicken?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mauzac said:

Here you go... hope it works!  

393410130_10161120206463688_7214763621753164679_n.jpg

A menu can look good on paper but let’s see how it delivers.  This menu mixes a lot of different things together…perhaps a bit too “Mediterranean”?

But IMO, a 32oz steak for 2 is a silly addition to any menu. Do you order 1/2 the dish for one? Or is that not possible? Or waste the other half if your dining partner doesn’t eat beef? IMO, a great menu should offer a great steak dish for one. BTW, what does “prepared table side” mean? Are they cooking the 32oz steak at my table? I hate that as much as I detest the “hot rocks” concept on SS. Rant over!

• Like 2