TK to Go, Solis the New Innovation.

2seabournsailors

All I can add to this "News" is that E&O and Sushi have both become very popular on the Seabourn ships, and the new "Solis" is another creation by Chef Tony Egger, and also Chef Franck. Hopefully this new one will prove just as popular! Odyssey of course won't be getting the new Restaurant. Those on next years World Cruise will have the first half of their Cruise with TK and the second half with Solis!

Edited by 2seabournsailors
spelling
  • Like 2

Glad we get to try the Grill a couple of times next week on the Quest. Being our first Seabourn cruise we have been looking forward to dining there.

We have enjoyed many cruises but do understand how specialty restaurant themes and menus;  that hardly ever change,  can get ho hum.

Found this online from "Markets Insider,"

Solis will offer a delightful array of dishes to satisfy and linger long after the last bite. Sumptuous, featured dishes include Piquillos De La Mama - Basque piquillo peppers with fresh Murcia goat milk cheese served on country bread crostini; Branzino - Whole Sea Bass baked in a sea salt and fresh thyme crust served with artichokes and tomatoes; Bistecca Alla Fiorentina – Tuscan-style grilled beef porterhouse steak; and Spiced Lamb Shank - Chargrilled smoked eggplant with tahini, pomegranate, roasted pine nuts, and labneh. A beautiful assortment of vegetarian and vegan options will also be incorporated throughout the menu.

2 hours ago, 2seabournsailors said:

Those on next years World Cruise will have the first half of their Cruise with TK and the second half with Solis!

It will be an interesting experience as we are on the first and last segments. I am wondering if they will change the decor or just the menu during the world cruise. I have heard a rumour Sojourn is due for a big refurbishment next year some time. But time will tell.

• Like 1

Good news indeed, although it'll take a while to roll through the fleet. We were never a fan of the whole TK diversion and have dined at Earth and Ocean in preference to other venues many times and love the concept. 

7 minutes ago, marazul said:

So that is why you couldn't get on-line reservations to the TK Grill.

And as carnivores, we are looking forward to the bistecca alla Fiorentina.

I’m assuming this is why we have not been able to make on-line TK reservations.

we’re also looking forward to the bistecca

Nancy

As much as we like TKG, I appreciate that after 8 years, it’s time for change.

I’m hoping for the best, but another dining venue created by head office chefs reads more like a main dining room extension to me. The ambience at E&O (and the smoked chicken) are very nice, but the menus are short and repetitive. Sushi is a far cry from Silversea’s and Explora’s Asian-themed restaurants. Seabourn needs a winner and based on Soleil’s sample menu posted elsewhere, this isn’t it. Franky, it feels more like a cost saving. No more need to pay Keller (or a replacement Chef), ingredients no longer have to come from select vendors in California but can become part of the bulk ordering for other dining venues, and waiters no longer need to be dedicated, they can just rotate through all venues. I hope I’m wrong. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

It will be an interesting experience as we are on the first and last segments. I am wondering if they will change the decor or just the menu during the world cruise. I have heard a rumour Sojourn is due for a big refurbishment next year some time. But time will tell.

Looking forward to your reviews of Solis

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

We board Quest in April for 79 days, so will be trying the new Restaurant a few times.....I hope!

• Like 1

I stopped going to TK after my 8th cruise since it became part of Seabourn.  Boring, repetive and inconsistent.  My last two cruises on Encore I didn’t even bother afterbtwo previous less than stellar experiences.  I welcome a new experience and the menus look fabulous.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The rollout is non-specific enough that it’s hard to know. We will be on sojourn February and March 2024. Sounds like it’ll still be TK?

living in Sonoma county, plenty of TK options to choose from (although dinner for two at most of them costs as much as a whole day on board the ship. Would be great fun to be there during the turnover (from an old restaurant family and so I would just enjoyed the logistics).

33 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

No more need to pay Keller (or a replacement Chef), ingredients no longer have to come from select vendors in California but can become part of the bulk ordering for other dining venues, and waiters no longer need to be dedicated, they can just rotate through all venues...

And that to me is a good thing, considering the exorbitant charges imposed by Thomas Keller on Seabourn for every single serving plate, utensil, piece of steak, etc.  Glad to see that gravy train going away soon.  I'd rather pay for quality than brand name.

An exciting benefit would be the liberation of the outdoor deck behind TK Grill on the Encore and Ovation, which has been closed to comply with Thomas Keller's desires.  What a waste of rare and prime real estate on the ship.  Will be nice to have more outdoor dining space in the future.

Having said that, I would have preferred an authentic and good quality pan-Asian restaurant.  Asian cuisine is a weakness for Seabourn and apparently not an area of focus or concern for the brand.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

Sushi is a far cry from Silversea’s

Was on the Muse in August and the Japanese themed restaurant was very disappointing, at least for sushi. What we had the month before on the Venture was definitely superior. 

• Like 1

Maybe I missed in somewhere in the announcements: will Solis require reservations? The redesign won't add seating (at least on the Quest and Sojourn), so will they need to keep reservations to try to give everyone onboard a chance to dine there?

• Like 1

I'm happy to hear about this change.  I do hope it is light cuisine and includes healthy dishes.  I'm excited about the prospect for more outdoor dining.  I like the looks of the sample menu too.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

Very good news, we have gained another dining venue. Have avoided TK for years.

Got talked into it one night by people new to Seabourn on our last cruise. 8 waitstaff visited the table doing their song and dance routine - we then had to call someone over for water to be poured and it was another new face! I’m sure the other restaurant teams will appreciate a more equitable distribution of staff at night time.

Agree pan-Asian would have been more of a variety offering. However, the sample menu sounds a vast improvement on Mac n Cheese!

• Like 3

We will miss TKG but I understand there needs to be change.  Our next SB cruise is February on Quest so it looks like we will be enjoying Solis!

The menus look good, and great they are utilising the outside area. 

I hate to be a party pooper, but the outside eating area for TK is only on the Encore and Ovation, on the three smaller ships the grill is on the same deck as the Colonnade, though maybe they could serve the grill meals outside as well?  Could be tricky.