🐾 🐾  Sea Dog gets Wet, a "Soggy Adventure LIVE" 10-21-23

Sea Dog

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I guess Charlie thinks I need a bath.

IMG_3664.mov 33.49 MB · 13 downloads  

Looks like Charlie already gave your leg a good soak.

Did your knee brace help?  Can you let me know which one you used?  Jack has knee problems and I thought it would help him until such time that he needs to take care of it surgically.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Looks like Charlie already gave your leg a good soak.

Did your knee brace help?  Can you let me know which one you used?  Jack has knee problems and I thought it would help him until such time that he needs to take care of it surgically.  

I was surprised that it actually did help. A couple times I forgot to put it on while walking around the ship and got hurting pretty fast. This brace really helped me keep the knee stable.

https://a.co/d/9U73Jhk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I was surprised that it actually did help. A couple times I forgot to put it on while walking around the ship and got hurting pretty fast. This brace really helped me keep the knee stable.

https://a.co/d/9U73Jhk

Thanks, Greg, glad it helped.  I'll show it to Jack.  His knee is not the same after meniscus surgery even though his orthopedist insisted it healed properly.  No pain but just not 100% better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Thanks, Greg, glad it helped.  I'll show it to Jack.  His knee is not the same after meniscus surgery even though his orthopedist insisted it healed properly.  No pain but just not 100% better.

On 10/27/2023 at 5:12 AM, LuCruise said:

Really enjoying your review.  Looks like you're having a great cruise.

Wondering, did they let you order the lobster and the cheese tortellini at the same time?  Or you had to finish your lobster first and then you were able to order the tortellini?  I quite like their tortellini so on our last cruise in March (I think you were on the same Oasis), the waiter said he couldn't bring both at once.  Found it annoying as I really like the tortellini but its on lobster night. (In the end, he saw I was a bit annoyed and did sneak in a tortellini too)

On 10/27/2023 at 5:19 AM, Sea Dog said:

Yes they do require you finish one before starting the other. I would have liked to have both served at the same . What’s the difference? You are still going to eat both of them. Are they betting you might change your mind after the first entree?

On the Navigator sailing a couple of months ago, we ordered multiple courses to try out the new menu so we know what to order again for the December cruise.  Our waiter brought them all out and when I took a picture of all the food (10 dishes for 6 of us), he asked that I not share it on social media as he would get in trouble with his boss. So I didn't post it on my trip report.

He said he normally wouldn't bring both main courses at the same time but since we are dining as a family and sharing some of the food, he gave all the food to us at once. 

I guess it might depend on how anal the head waiter is on that particular ship if they don't think it looks good to plop all the food down at the same time versus you eating it one at a time.  

If you want your main courses to be served together, maybe you need to ask for it that way when ordering. If they won't serve both dishes, ask the head waiter to come over and explain why.

• Like 5

As others have said, thanks for doing a cruise review. Being a fellow reviewer, I know how much effort it takes to do one of these. 

I especially appreciate you doing a live report as I could never do one. Too dumb to walk and chew gum concept.

Being cheap, I have never dined in any specialty restaurant so it's good to read and see pictures of your experience.

Best wishes on the surgery and recovery quickly as you need to run after the sea lions at Ensenada's Mooring Line next year...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Finally had a decent night sleep but I had to get my feet elevated to try and reduce my cankles. This morning the swelling has gone down quite a bit. Still wish I figure out besides the salt in food and being in tge salty air and sea on a cruise ship why mine swell more than usual. By day 7 on the cruise my feet and ankles were larger than Fred Flintstones.

IMG_3645.thumb.jpeg.b7e2bdac3afa47112adb4f61199832ad.jpeg

IMG_3644.thumb.jpeg.76aadd1d75abae35f4e2349c9cab2b5d.jpeg

Sorry for the gross pictures. So I tried water pills, elevation of my feet and compression stockings and nothing seems to work during a cruise. It’s weird that after being home not only a full day how much the swelling has gone down. I’ve read that the salty air causes a lot. I don’t want to stop cruising but I need to solve this issue as it limits my ability to enjoy myself on a cruise.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Finally had a decent night sleep but I had to get my feet elevated to try and reduce my cankles. This morning the swelling has gone down quite a bit. Still wish I figure out besides the salt in food and being in tge salty air and sea on a cruise ship why mine swell more than usual. By day 7 on the cruise my feet and ankles were larger than Fred Flintstones.

Sorry for the gross pictures. So I tried water pills, elevation of my feet and compression stockings and nothing seems to work during a cruise. It’s weird that after being home not only a full day how much the swelling has gone down. I’ve read that the salty air causes a lot. I don’t want to stop cruising but I need to solve this issue as it limits my ability to enjoy myself on a cruise.

Increasing compression level of stockings may help. 

Take alcohol neat or with water / ice. Drink mixes, sodas, etc. have very high sodium levels.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, broberts said:

Take alcohol neat or with water / ice. Drink mixes, sodas, etc. have very high sodium levels.

Yes I drink a lot more of those cocktails than I ever do at home. I'm sure they don't help. May just need to drink my bourbon neat. Problem is I really like all those other ocktails.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Wow, hate to think what they would look like if you did a B2B (7 night) cruises or a 14 night cruise.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, broberts said:

@Sea Dog Greg, I can second the compression socks.  It's gotten a lot better, but early on after my surgery I got horrible swelling/edema in my left leg.  Compression socks didn't 100% solve the issue, but they definitely knocked it down a few notches.  I usually wear one on long flights, since sitting for long periods of time will cause swelling for me.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes I drink a lot more of those cocktails than I ever do at home. I'm sure they don't help. May just need to drink my bourbon neat. Problem is I really like all those other ocktails.

Do you drink much water in between those cocktails?  I have found a bottle of water, at a minimum, between each helps.  For me the tap water doesn't do it has to be bottled.  Since I started that I have had very minor swelling if any at all, used to live in just flip flops because it was all I could my feet into by mud cruise.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

As I wrote that post I was thinking about the Great Painkiller Expedition. Would not have been nearly as much fun I suspect. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I had similar issues after last two cruises, doctor told me to take potassium pills will definitely take them with me , we sail in a month on harmony.

• Like 1

Are the issues with MTD the same across all ships? We’ll be on Harmony in Feb and we picked MTD because we don’t want to eat dinner at either of the scheduled dining times. We’d be fine with 6:45 but now I’m concerned how long the line will be on a much larger ship. We did book Jamie's for dinner one night but otherwise planned to eat in the MDR the other nights. Our 11 yr old won’t be able to wait an hour just to be seated. If we reserve a dining time on the app will that cut down on the time we have to wait? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Do you drink much water in between those cocktails?  I have found a bottle of water, at a minimum, between each helps.  For me the tap water doesn't do it has to be bottled.  Since I started that I have had very minor swelling if any at all, used to live in just flip flops because it was all I could my feet into by mud cruise.

+1

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, travelchica915 said:

Are the issues with MTD the same across all ships? We’ll be on Harmony in Feb and we picked MTD because we don’t want to eat dinner at either of the scheduled dining times. We’d be fine with 6:45 but now I’m concerned how long the line will be on a much larger ship. We did book Jamie's for dinner one night but otherwise planned to eat in the MDR the other nights. Our 11 yr old won’t be able to wait an hour just to be seated. If we reserve a dining time on the app will that cut down on the time we have to wait? 

Reserve the 6:45 or whatever time in your CP pre cruise for MTD. Two lines. One for reservations and the other for no reservations. The no reservation line is the one that is long. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, doghog said:

Reserve the 6:45 or whatever time in your CP pre cruise for MTD. Two lines. One for reservations and the other for no reservations. The no reservation line is the one that is long. 

Not always, reservation line can be long also.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wow, hate to think what they would look like if you did a B2B (7 night) cruises or a 14 night cruise.

Yeah I have a 10 day on Celebrity Beyond in April. It does worry me.

46 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

@Sea Dog Greg, I can second the compression socks.  It's gotten a lot better, but early on after my surgery I got horrible swelling/edema in my left leg.  Compression socks didn't 100% solve the issue, but they definitely knocked it down a few notches.  I usually wear one on long flights, since sitting for long periods of time will cause swelling for me.

I maybe need to wear the compression stockings at night in the cabin.

43 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Yes I drank a lot of water.

25 minutes ago, George C said:

I had similar issues after last two cruises, doctor told me to take potassium pills will definitely take them with me , we sail in a month on harmony.

I need to try this. Let me know how well it works next month on Harmony.

12 minutes ago, travelchica915 said:

We've experienced it on out last three cruises, Liberty, Oasis and on Adventure. I think it is ship wide after they changed MTD. Key is to talk to the Dining Room Manager.

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not always, reservation line can be long also.

I found that to be true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

As I wrote that post I was thinking about the Great Painkiller Expedition. Would not have been nearly as much fun I suspect. 🙂

A reduction in beverages might have helped to avoid the hot pepper sauce incident, but I think the readers enjoyed the description of how it happened. 

Greg has sacrificed on a few different fronts for his virtual guests. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 10
  • Haha 5