Library Safety for Teen

ohshin

Just trying to get a sense of how safe the library (Voyager class ship) is for a young but mature teenager to be alone (needs to work on a project for school).  I assume it is perfectly OK during a sea day, especially with the teen and family both having access to the internet.  However, on a port day, is it safe or unsafe to leave a teen alone in the library while the family goes on an excursion?

Thank you!

Just make sure you're back in time. Seriously there have been people that left their kids on the ship and went for an excursion or just did theri own thing and didn't get back on time. Ship left without them and kids are on board. Not sure what exactly they do about it but I've heard of it happening more than once.

8 hours ago, ohshin said:

Just trying to get a sense of how safe the library (Voyager class ship) is for a young but mature teenager to be alone (needs to work on a project for school).  I assume it is perfectly OK during a sea day, especially with the teen and family both having access to the internet.  However, on a port day, is it safe or unsafe to leave a teen alone in the library while the family goes on an excursion?

Thank you!

Well, we always erred on the side of paranoid caution (yes, we bubble wrapped our kids) and wouldn’t leave any child by themselves.  

• Like 2

Yes- a teen will be safe anywhere on the ship. It must be pretty important work to miss family time in a port. Our 11 yr old had to sign on a few times when we sailed a few times, but luckily it was at his leisure so we had him do it right in the room at the end of the night a few times.  I would say the library or honestly any lounge or bar area would even be fine for him to sit and concentrate, especially on a port day. 

17 hours ago, ohshin said:

Thank you!

On one of our sailings, my husband used a conference room for a few hours for work in the morning on a port day  Ask GS when you get a chance.  It worked out well for him as he was on a conference call with a customer.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

Just make sure you're back in time. Seriously there have been people that left their kids on the ship and went for an excursion or just did theri own thing and didn't get back on time. Ship left without them and kids are on board. Not sure what exactly they do about it but I've heard of it happening more than once.

Back when ships had private babysitting they charged the parents at the babysitting rate for all the hours the kids club wasn't open.  They wound up with a really high bill, but not much they could do about it.  I wonder with a teen if they parents called the port agent and gave permission to let the teen off the boat if RC would be willing to let the teen wait at the port to meet the parents and the whole family  could either go home or proceed to the next port together.

Edited by kitkat343

4 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Back when ships had private babysitting they charged the parents at the babysitting rate for all the hours the kids club wasn't open.  They wound up with a really high bill, but not much they could do about it.  I wonder with a teen if they parents called the port agent and gave permission to let the teen off the boat if RC would be willing to let the teen wait at the port to meet the parents and the whole family  could either go home or proceed to the next port together.

Either way is a bit scary. Huge bill or a teen waiting alone at a port. Neither sounds good. 

On 10/21/2023 at 3:54 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Very similar to the gym. 😂

I go to the gym every morning when I am cruising. The gym is always crowded this time of day regardless if it is a port day or sea day. However, in general the number of people in the gym tends to decrease every day of the cruise. 

• Like 2

Since this project won’t effect whether or not he gets into college, you should take him on your excursion. Trust me, he won’t remember the project 20 years from now,  but he will remember being left behind on a cruise ship while his parents enjoyed their holiday. 

Edited by GreenFamily
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, GreenFamily said:

Since this project won’t effect whether or not he gets into college, you should take him on your excursion. Trust me, he won’t remember the project 20 years from now,  but he will remember being left behind on a cruise ship while his parents enjoyed their holiday. 

I don’t know, my kids would never agree to go on a vacation in HS, too much work and will college looming? My daughter did miss a week of school 3 years in a row for an international dance completion, high level, it was a huge undertaking which started before she left, while in the hotel, and weeks after the trip. I think she sat out junior year because that’s the most critical year in HS.

12 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t know, my kids would never agree to go on a vacation in HS, too much work and will college looming? My daughter did miss a week of school 3 years in a row for an international dance completion, high level, it was a huge undertaking which started before she left, while in the hotel, and weeks after the trip. I think she sat out junior year because that’s the most critical year in HS.

This boy is a young teen, so I’m assuming he’s in 8th grade or maybe 9th. If it is an important project, then the parents should cancel their excursion to be with him. 

• Like 1

The library is a safe place.  It's wide open /very visible to passers-by.  Changing the topic slightly, the library would not be useful to a teen working on a project (unless he just needs a table upon which to spread out his materials), as it's mostly made up of paperbacks left behind by previous cruisers.  

However, I wouldn't leave a teen onboard while I went on an excursion.  No, I don't think I'd miss the ship -- we never cut things closely -- but I wouldn't feel comfortable with a teen having no "safety net", even with very little chance of anything going wrong.  

Yes, I can imagine unsafe places for teens:  dark areas on lesser-used decks after dark.  There are places on the ship I wouldn't walk alone after dark.  But that doesn't play into this question.  

In a perfect world, I'd push the teen to complete the project before the cruise so he wouldn't have anything hanging over his head -- and so he could accompany you on the excursion.  

• Like 2