Is a picnic possible?

mcroadman

No fresh food taken off a ship was ever permitted at any of the Caribbean Islands I have visited. I have seen dogs with some security at some ports that are there for that reason, so I would never chance it. If you ask onboard they will tell you no, they will not pack you lunch to go and I would not risk sneaking food off the ship. Only prepackaged things such as granola bars etc are allowed. I’m sure like most of us you’ll find somewhere on the island to have lunch. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Go up to the buffet and make a bunch with what’s available ( croissants, bread, cheese, ham, tomato etc. ) take fruit and danish. Don’t ask. Just put in a carry bag. It is frowned on to take food off the ship. Consume or discard all before returning.

Very poor advice, there are sometimes dogs at the port exits for this particular reason. It’s not frowned upon, it is not allowed. You are a visitor to a country (island)  that has rules in place for their own health reasons and they should be respected. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

We were given a picnic lunch  by the Retreat concierge for a Greek excursion while on the Beyond.  Apparently the staff does not know the rules.

There may be different rules for different countries. Caribbean Islands do not allow food to be taken off the ship.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Go up to the buffet and make a bunch with what’s available ( croissants, bread, cheese, ham, tomato etc. ) take fruit and danish. Don’t ask. Just put in a carry bag. It is frowned on to take food off the ship. Consume or discard all before returning.

Not just frowned upon, usually illegal.

since you are a guest in a foreign country, don’t break their agriculture laws

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Except if you bring fruit into the US. Then the dogs will catch you.

We have seen folks pulled off the line for this coming into US in Florida. Can cause you long delay plus a fine. Carefully check and follow the rules.

There are places in the islands where u can buy food to take to a beach  or outdoor beach restaurants  with picnic tables.  Enjoy!

9 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Not sound advice- unless you are willing to pay the fine. 

Best bet is to grab some local food for your picnic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

It's not frowned upon. It's illegal. Don't do this.

• Thanks 1

Wow! 
thanks for the advice and counsel. We will look for a nice tiki hut under a palm tree, and find something local on the islands. I appreciate those interested in supporting regulations, and supporting a good time, without delay, for all.

Happy cruising! 

• Like 6