The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday October 24th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Hinu Diwali Day, National Bologna Day, and United Nations Day

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.--Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - Hamburger Soup with Macaroni
Drink of the Day - Effen Blood Orange Mimosa
Wine of the Day - 2016 Diseño Red Blend Argentina
Destination of the Day - Pointe-a-Pitre, Grande-Terre Island, Guadeloupe

Today in History:
1857 Recognised by FIFA as oldest existing club still playing football in the world, Sheffield FC is founded in Yorkshire, England

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad, Aruba eta 10-25

Koningsdam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1500

Nieuw Amsterdam

Nassau Bahamas, 0800-1700

Nieuw Statendam

Chania, Crete 0700-1700

Noordam

Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia Overnight

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Kotor, Montenegro eta 10-25

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad, Aruba eta 10-26

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Coquimbo (La Serena), Chile eta 10-26

Zuiderdam

Tunis, Tunisia 0700-1700

Eastern Hemisphere

Volendam

Dravuni, Fiji 0800-1700

Westerdam

Kagoshima, Japan 0800-1700

1024World.thumb.png.827ba684fc40882e75eedc7efebbb891.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 19

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator, CPAP trials

Mamaofami’s Sam hospitalized

57redbird’s DH Mike post external nerve ablation, trip to ER for 10/23 chest pain

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Dfish’s appointment with the surgeon

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine and Israel

From the Rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

NextOne post valve replacement surgery 10/17

HAL Sailer’s DH recovering after hospitalization

Cruzin Terri having to cancel her trip

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Aliaschief (Bruce and Sue)!

Happy Birthday Overhead Fred!

Seasick Sailor’s 32nd Anniversary (Joy and Allen)!

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott moved to rehab

Ger_77 enjoying the family time in Calgary

CrabbyPatti’s DFIL discharged to rehab

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Nautica Oct 27 to Nov 6, Adriatic & Italian Tableau)

4 days for Seagarsmoker (Eurodam Oct 28 to Nov 8, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer)

5 days for Haljo1935 (Nieuw Statendam Oct 29 to Nov 9, Adriatic Dream, celebrating 33rd anniversary onboard)

Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal), Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas to Oct 28, Canada & NE), Smmesineo (Celebrity Equinox to Oct 28, Bimini, Grand Cayman & Mexico), Aliaschief (Seabourn Quest to Nov 7, Montreal to Miami), Marshhawk (Carnival Pride to Nov 12, Rome to Rome +TA), Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell) and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 21

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Happy Diwali.  

A sunny day in the forecast with a high of 18°C (64°F) not bad for this time of year.  Lots of leaves to rake.

I'm not a fan of bologna.  Three cheers for the United Nations.

Good quote.

The meal sounds good for a cool fall day, looking forward to seeing recipes.  The drink and wine sound good too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon and thank you for today's reports Rich and Vanessa for all of the lists.

It is 52°F and raining here.

2 important days but I don't eat Bologna meat.

Good quote.

Today's day in history is for Sheffield FC in Derbyshire the oldest football club.

The 2 club's from Sheffield Yorkshire are 

Sheffield United currently playing in the English Premiership and 

Sheffield Wednesday playing in the English Championship 

Never been to today's port.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20231024_115826.jpg

Screenshot_20231024_115851.jpg

Screenshot_20231024_120519.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends!  Another chilly fall morning with only 47 degrees out there.  But never fear!  It will be a nice sunny day and 72F.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report for Tuesday October 24.

A cheer for Diwali Day (Hindu Festival of Light), and bologna.  That's one of the few lunchmeats I would eat as a child.  Why didn't we have sliced turkey back then?  The United Nations seems to have its problems these days.  I can really get behind that quote!  I've never heard of hamburger soup with macaroni before.  It will be interesting to see that recipe.  I think I'll pass on the mimosa and the Argentinian red blend wine.  An important day in Sheffield FC's history.  Thanks to our F&B ladies Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their reports today.

Prayers for our Care list people, especially those caretakers of spouses whether due to health problems or dementia/Alzheimer's.  Considering the difficulties in those cases is a sobering thought.  My DM and DMIL experienced dementia at end of life.  Many prayers for those suffering or who have lost loved ones in Israel and Ukraine.  Special prayers for DB,  friend Susan's DH and DB, and friend Sandy watching over her DH.  On a happier note, congrats to all on the Celebration list and those cruising.  Life is short so those events are so important to us.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping.  Praying for freedom from pain for you very soon. 

Happy Birthday @Overhead Fred!  Happy Anniversary Joy and Allen @Seasick Sailor!  Many more years for all of you!  For Bruce and Sue @aliaschief bon voyage on your wonderful Seabourn Quest voyage!  It's the only Seabourn ship we've sailed on and we were always treated like royalty.  Hope you have a smooth voyage down the coast.  

The port of the day is Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe (Grand-Terre Island).  It was listed here once before on June 18, 2022.  I have not been to  Guadeloupe before.  Here is the link to the last posting.

Hope everyone has a great day today.  Stay well!  

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  Diwali day sounds interesting.  I'll pass on the Balogna but salute the UN and love the Einstein quote.

Sheffield FC must have a great history.

I have not been to Guadeloupe. 

Bon Voyage @aliaschief.  Happy Birthday to @Overhead Fred and belated happy anniversaries and birthdays to several I have missed the last few days.

Off to one of my weekly supermarkets in a while.  I'd prefer to keep my hamburger and my macaroni separate.  My alternative is Lido Steak and Ice Cream as served on MS Amsterdam October 24, 2017 after a very long tour to the Great Wall of China.

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Brr! 41F in Montréal. We dined at the Bonaparte Hotel restaurant last night. Wow! What a great meal and service. We both had a filet of beef Rossini and dessert was a Grand Mariner Soufflé and a bottle of wine. Wow on the price$$$$! We have always stayed at Springfield Suite in Montreal but this small hotel caught our eye at the same price level. Located in Old Montréal we are just a couple blocks from the Cathedral. Would highly recommend.
We will be headed to the ship around 11:30 and we will start a new cruising adventure.
Thanks Rich and all who contribute. Have a great day. B.

image.jpeg.0993fde5725c546d1f4df8afc02c9248.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.51b0cb0dee326b65b4b3e9d1d01b7817.jpegimage.jpeg.b87d63d91c72c2f03ca4f44e569b6171.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f54262f992603749eb75ac3e3d7e894c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f66e27c13dc9516752c8f65d3fc71a12.jpegimage.jpeg.a31f100b5327648e9c35f2b915bdd0ed.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Haha 22

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich!  It is already 70 here! Lovely morning sky. Hoping the humidity will stay away. I got through most of my gardening chores yesterday. Just a couple more plants to dead head & fertilize today. 

Vanessa, praying the epidural “kicks in” and helps relieve your pain. Thank you for keeping our lists. 

Gym, Bindi walks, inside & outside chores, then picking up a friend at the airport - hoping I get to watch the sunset while I wait for her. The last few sunsets have been breathtaking. 

IMG_1868.jpeg.8f2d54b8d517f5e44d6320b774c450c2.jpeg

IMG_1867.jpeg.b2f7301191231476a0d049655813056d.jpeg

On a very serious note - if you have ever cleaned up a beach after a hurricane, this picture would NOT shock you. Some plastic can be recycled & used to create something new. 

IMG_1877.jpeg.208e198c4a88f3260adcaaa6ea3504fc.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, praying for you, Tana, your families & your support teams. Breathe deep. 

@HAL Sailer Melissa, praying for your DH and for you. Don’t forget you. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! 
@Overhead Fred 
Happy Birthday!

IMG_3005.jpeg.fb4335e36fc2b83e461a29e4a5cd1f06.jpeg

Happy Anniversary Joy & Allen!❤️

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2016 Diseño Red Blend Argentina

I would need to taste this red blend from Argentina, before buying a bottle. Sometimes Malbec is too bold for me. But it is reasonably priced. Consumers rate it very good - excellent & it is available from several online distributors. Online prices start at $9.09.

Winemaker notes

This wine has intense raspberry and blueberry aromas with notes of violet, cocoa, and coffee from oak aging. It shows pleasant acidity and soft tannins, finishing with a lingering note of toastiness.
Diseno means “design". The grapes for Diseno come from two of Argentina’s most highly respected vignerons. Both families hold great respect for tradition in their pursuit of quality.

• Malbec • Bonarda • Tempranillo •

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 11

I have 2 photos from Guadeloupe.

This rock and shell on the beach were like this when we found them:

IMG_20181113_114123.thumb.jpg.c7468ea3472dc5e72047ce2e6d4d7423.jpg

This is just an artsy photo of the beach and my husband.

IMG_20181113_114210.thumb.jpg.67ef20b787094cd33b9e10e47f7cb27e.jpg

That mimosa sounds tasty. But I have too much to do today to indulge. 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

And 38F in Maryland.  Count your blessings.

Roy

Anything below 70F is cold to Floridians.

Thanks folks for all the kind Bon Voyages. I don’t believe we could afford Seabourne full time but we did get a good offer on this one.

• Like 27

Good Tuesday Morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Got into the 30s last night. Love this time of year. 

Working from home today. I hope to get Fancy out for a good long walk. Fancy is not a morning dog. It takes her awhile to wake up. She does love her comfort. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Image result for cat fall memes

• Like 26
  • Haha 10

Effen Blood Orange Mimosa cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part EFFEN® Blood Orange Vodka
1 part Orange Juice
3 parts Wine, Sparkling

Instructions
Shake first two ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled champagne flute. Top with sparkling wine. Garnish with a blood orange wedge.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 7.28.46 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 15

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Home and in recovery mode from two days of waiting for delayed flights in airport terminals.  A lot of catching up to do 😉 

I am sorry to see that Murphy is still struggling & that @mamaofami’s Sam is back in hospital.  I hope you @JazzyV can find some relief for your leg and wish Debbie @dfish best of luck with her surgeon’s appointment.

Bon Voyage @aliaschief

Happy Birthday to @Overhead Fred

Happy anniversary @SeaSickSailor

Just as I was trying to relax last night I got an unexpected call to let me know that Jose’s BFF’s wife passed away on Saturday.  Unexpected as she was fine when I left for my cruise.  So very sad 😢 Too much death as of late and too many friends disappearing from my life 😢 

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering loss, health issues, worries & those that need them. 

Have a good Tuesday everyone.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all. This is a question for the green thumbs here. Before we turned my father’s house over to the new owners in July I took four cuttings from a climbing rose bush he had. Three of them rooted and did quite well where we planted them and even gave me some blooms. I am wondering what I need to do to keep them alive over winter. They are in somewhat sheltered spots, One beside the vinyl fence (which seems to be creating a mini micro climate) and one along the front of the house under the bedroom window. FYI We are in climate zone 7a. I have tried growing roses before without much luck but want to make a special effort for these since the plant I took them from was initially a cutting from the plant in front of the house I grew up in. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I will be making a pot of borscht for my Wednesday ladies group. Always better on the second day. Caesar salad and gluten free bread will round out our menu tomorrow. Last night we had sautéed shrimp and leeks over linguine. Leftovers tonight!

prayers for all that need them and a celebratory shout out to those celebrating. Have a great day all

Edited by superoma
Grammar
  • Like 31

Good Morning to All and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  (Just a slight correction:  this year, Diwali is on Nov 12th 😉) I do like bologna but know what is in it, so I don't eat it too often any more.  United Nations - good concept but........  I agree with Einstein.  Pass on the meal, drink and wine and never been to the port.  I don't understand football - soccer to us Americans - but WOW - that is a long time.

Nothing planned for today other than the gym.  I could sub but don't want to.  I am beginning to think I really don't like middle schoolers!!  LOL!!  We are only supposed to get to the high 70s so it will be downright cool here.  

Thoughts for the world and everyone on the care list.  Cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 30