Panorama Nov-Dec 2023 sailings cancelled!

weezal

51 minutes ago, jsglow said:

So as some of you know from the other thread, our extended family is directly impacted. Folks are arriving from 3 separate cities.

We feel blessed. Within minutes, I was on the phone with our PVP. She dropped everything and was incredibly fortunate to get us onto the Radiance replacing what had been a 6 nighter with the 4 night Catalina/Ensenada run.  All those cabins were snapped up in way less than an hour.  Had she not HELD them, we wouldn't have had enough time to make the necessary phone calls. We've added a hotel night in So. Cal after the cruise to no airline reservations need changing. And we might precede the cruise with a trip to the Grand Canyon, something my future SIL has yet to see. 

Hope it works out, the Grand Canyon is spectacular.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, john91498 said:

bummer, she's a great ship

Is she really a great ship? I thought she's had chronic, intermittent propulsion problems over the years. (November 2023, June 2023, December 2022, and August 2021. She's only been in service since December 2019) I thought she was Carnival's problem child ship.

• Like 2

Feeling very stupid right now that I booked the 12/2 sailing instead of the 12/9 (was deciding between those two weeks when I booked) and now my vacation is canceled and I have to scramble to make new plans for the week. But I'm just a single person, feel bad for the families with kids who were affected.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, allinwonderland said:

Feeling very stupid right now that I booked the 12/2 sailing instead of the 12/9 (was deciding between those two weeks when I booked) and now my vacation is canceled and I have to scramble to make new plans for the week. But I'm just a single person, feel bad for the families with kids who were affected.

You aren't stupid, just unlucky in this particular instance. 🙃

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Is she really a great ship? I thought she's had chronic, intermittent propulsion problems over the years. (November 2023, June 2023, December 2022, and August 2021. She's only been in service since December 2019) I thought she was Carnival's problem child ship.

I think the challenge earth is that she's already straining to make that 7 day run with so much of it at full speed coupled with the 'fragility' that seems to be inherent in the Vista class. Transfer Horizon over and you'd get the same thing, I'll bet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

maybe they knew they had an issue, but not till today understood how bad the issue was?  I doubt they knew they would have to cancel sailings and just decided to sit on it....but that is just MHO

I’d like to think that because I can’t think of any reason why they’d wait. 

7 hours ago, mz-s said:

They knew about this at least on Sunday. Why wait all week to make an announcement.

Why would they wait just for the heck of it?  I'm sure there are things going on behind the scenes that the great unwashed have no access to. It would only be to Carnival's benefit to make the decision/announcement ASAP.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I’d like to think that because I can’t think of any reason why they’d wait. 

You saw the math that got posted. Every effort was going to be made. $36 large is a lot of money.

They understood today was the absolute deadline. Folks were flying tomorrow although in LA fewer than many ports.

• Like 4

We were on the December 2 sailing too.  Impossible to postpone as we're coming from Australia and have locked in US city visits on either side.

We're just finalising plans to fly to Puerto Vallarta instead.  Very pleased with Carnival's decision to refund us so that could happen, instead of potentially coming all this way for a cruise full of sea days!

• Like 6

Am on the 12/9 sailing and am feeling bad that four weeks of sailings had to be canceled. What a nightmare for those who are already LA bound for what would be this weekends sailing. Fingers crossed she's back in the water and ready for 12/9 for us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ifixthings said:

I'm on it also.  I'm think how bad it would be if your ship lost all power

Not sure how we jumped to loss of all power….  That said, we were on a Pride Baltic cruise this year where we lost propulsion for about 8 hours, and yes it was powered by azipods.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Why would they wait just for the heck of it?  I'm sure there are things going on behind the scenes that the great unwashed have no access to. It would only be to Carnival's benefit to make the decision/announcement ASAP.

It is very possible they waited, even knowing the full extent of the impact, because they needed to establish an actual plan for return to service, vs just saying "we're gonna cancel a couple of sailings but might need to cancel more later because we don't have a plan yet."

I.e. one set of bad news a couple of days later vs two sets of bad news over the course of a week or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, clairebearinaus said:

I am wondering about the $600 covid-cancellation OBC we had though, and whether we will get that back and how long we have to use it.  I don't think there's any point trying to call Carnival at the moment though, will let the dust settle for awhile.

I strongly suggest you contact Carnival ASAP and sincerely hope you have a good PVP to assist. What you are describing are true 'special circumstances' that might need some relatively high level 'rule bending' but none of this is your fault and accommodations should be made. Again, if you are up against previously announced final deadlines (I truly don't remember as all our Covid OBC was used up long ago), then waivers will be required and that won't happen at the 1-800 clerk level. You're a completely innocent victim of circumstance and if you can get this issue before a proper decision maker, I feel confident they'll do what it takes. Good luck. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

It is very possible they waited, even knowing the full extent of the impact, because they needed to establish an actual plan for return to service, vs just saying "we're gonna cancel a couple of sailings but might need to cancel more later because we don't have a plan yet."

I.e. one set of bad news a couple of days later vs two sets of bad news over the course of a week or so.

I think that's what I was saying.  We don't know what goes on behind the scenes.  A lot of moving parts have to be coordinated.  I'm from the corporate world, I get it.

50 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Do yall think she will still go into dry dock in Singapore in Sept/Oct 2024?  Or will they try to make some of those repairs now?

The Oct '24 period is the statutory dry dock interval.  You are not allowed to "get credit" for an early dry dock, whatever the reason.   So, while they may clear some inspections, most of the required dry dock inspections cannot be started before Sept '24.  So, yes, she will still need to dry dock in Oct.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The Oct '24 period is the statutory dry dock interval.  You are not allowed to "get credit" for an early dry dock, whatever the reason.   So, while they may clear some inspections, most of the required dry dock inspections cannot be started before Sept '24.  So, yes, she will still need to dry dock in Oct.

PLUS, Carnival has sold big, expensive and exotic Trans-Pac cruises while getting her to/from Singapore. If anyone thought the cow manure hit the fan yesterday regarding Firenze, nobody could be THAT tone deaf. Smartly, JH made that all a point of emphasis this morning. 

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

PLUS, Carnival has sold big, expensive and exotic Trans-Pac cruises while getting her to/from Singapore. If anyone thought the cow manure hit the fan yesterday regarding Firenze, nobody could be THAT tone deaf. Smartly, JH made that all a point of emphasis this morning. 

What happened with Firenze?

7 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

What happened with Firenze?

Um, you been in court on trial counselor? 😉

They stuck a 'new' inaugural cruise one week before the original inaugural cruise and said 'Don't be upset; we'll have 2!' 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Um, you been in court on trial counselor? 😉

They stuck a 'new' inaugural cruise one week before the original inaugural cruise and said 'Don't be upset; we'll have 2!' 🤦‍♂️

Lol.  No, but I have not been keeping up with John Heald's page as much as normal.  

• Like 2

I was on Dec 2 sailing. If anyone knows how I can apply for reimbursement of my nonrefundable air ticket from Carnival, please assist.

The link airreimbursrments@carnival.com mentioned in the letter took me to a Reimbursement Form that has nothing to do with refund of airline ticket. This form also has no option for attachment  of supporting documentation which is a requirement mentioned in the letter. Am I looking at the wrong place? Is there another reimbursement form I should be using? Any insight on this would be much appreciated.

7 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I was on Dec 2 sailing. If anyone knows how I can apply for reimbursement of my nonrefundable air ticket from Carnival, please assist.

The link airreimbursrments@carnival.com mentioned in the letter took me to a Reimbursement Form that has nothing to do with refund of airline ticket. This form also has no option for attachment  of supporting documentation which is a requirement mentioned in the letter. Am I looking at the wrong place? Is there another reimbursement form I should be using? Any insight on this would be much appreciated.

That is an email address to send your receipts to, not a website to visit. Plus if you used that exact email address in your post it is wrong. You should be using airreimbursements@carnival.com

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 4