Quality of Cocktails

poindexter

There are always threads about the quality of food in the various venues, but what about cocktails?  We’re currently on the Emerald and are very disappointed in the quality of cocktails. The number one problem for me is lack of fresh ingredients. There in fresh lime juice and all of the bars are stocked with Roses’s bottled lime juice. That stuff is awful and really affects the taste of several drinks. My drink of choice happens to be a Cosmo, so the lack of good lime juice and the fact that they use a diluted solution of cranberry juice, makes them barely drinkable. We have ordered a variety of common drinks that have been undrinkable, including a brown mojito, a frozen painkiller that only had pineapple fake juice and and coconut cream, an a mai tai that was medicinal. I feel like that Princess wants everyone to drink wine all day. Also you have to ask for drink menus and no one seems happy to give you one. 
I’m confused since our cruise last year included great cocktails. 

I was on the Emerald in May and noticed the same thing (mainly at the poolside bars). I had only ever cruised Carnival before and always enjoyed the drinks onboard those ships. The specialty drinks at the Salty Dog gastropub were good though, but they cost extra if you don't have Premier..

We stick to basics Grey Goose vodka up stirred not shaken and 2 Woodford reserve bourbon Manhattan light on vermouth stirred not shaken. Can’t go wrong with the old school drinks. If I want fruit juice I will order a glass of juice

• Like 4

Exactly, sticking with classic, old school drinks, as less as possible additional mixing ingredients. French 75, Chairman of the Board, Classic martini. Few drinks from Spirits of the Sea during demonstration. My hubby ordering double Hennessy VS...Don't understand how one can screw up classics like Cosmo or Moscow Mules? But apparently, yes, it is possible.

Edited by trin880

2 hours ago, poindexter said:

There are always threads about the quality of food in the various venues, but what about cocktails?  We’re currently on the Emerald and are very disappointed in the quality of cocktails. The number one problem for me is lack of fresh ingredients. There in fresh lime juice and all of the bars are stocked with Roses’s bottled lime juice. That stuff is awful and really affects the taste of several drinks. My drink of choice happens to be a Cosmo, so the lack of good lime juice and the fact that they use a diluted solution of cranberry juice, makes them barely drinkable. We have ordered a variety of common drinks that have been undrinkable, including a brown mojito, a frozen painkiller that only had pineapple fake juice and and coconut cream, an a mai tai that was medicinal. I feel like that Princess wants everyone to drink wine all day. Also you have to ask for drink menus and no one seems happy to give you one. 
I’m confused since our cruise last year included great cocktails. 

Certainly have to agree with you on that one. My wife's drink of choice is also the Cosmo, and the swill she gets on Princess bears little resemblance to a "classic" formulation. I make her one at least once a week, and my standard mix is three parts Grey Goose (I actually use Grey Goose Orange), one part Cointreau, juice of half a lime, and fill the glass up with cranberry juice. The result is a deep pink strong drink, not the pale pink thing she gets served on Princess by a waiter who clearly assured her they use Grey Goose and Cointreau. I suspect the two offenses are that they, as you say, use fake lime juice instead of fresh squeezed, and I also suspect they use that most horrid of bartender weapons, simple syrup, to pad the drink and make up for the reduced amount of alcohol they use. 

My personal favorite is the Chairman of the Board, my formulation is equal parts Grey Goose Orange and Tanqueray Rangpur gin (for the lime overtones) and a dash of Cointreau. I'm also pretty sure Princess use simple syrup to pad it out, as it's always a lot sweeter and weaker than when I make them at home.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Certainly have to agree with you on that one. My wife's drink of choice is also the Cosmo, and the swill she gets on Princess bears little resemblance to a "classic" formulation. I make her one at least once a week, and my standard mix is three parts Grey Goose (I actually use Grey Goose Orange), one part Cointreau, juice of half a lime, and fill the glass up with cranberry juice. The result is a deep pink strong drink, not the pale pink thing she gets served on Princess by a waiter who clearly assured her they use Grey Goose and Cointreau. I suspect the two offenses are that they, as you say, use fake lime juice instead of fresh squeezed, and I also suspect they use that most horrid of bartender weapons, simple syrup, to pad the drink and make up for the reduced amount of alcohol they use. 

My personal favorite is the Chairman of the Board, my formulation is equal parts Grey Goose Orange and Tanqueray Rangpur gin (for the lime overtones) and a dash of Cointreau. I'm also pretty sure Princess use simple syrup to pad it out, as it's always a lot sweeter and weaker than when I make them at home.

My drink is GG orange, tonic and float an orange slice. Or Hendricks gin and cucumber tonic.  Simple.  My DH single malt neat.  Simple.  Your libations sound lovely, but not the fake ones they serve on Princess apparently.

What about asking for fresh lime juice instead of the premixed stuff? A busy bar may not be able to do it all the time, but maybe a slower bar. Finding a good bartender is key on a cruise 🙂

I've cruised with a diabetic (met her on the cruise) who was able to do that, and the bartender she found was always happy to use fresh lime juice in her margaritas. 

Edited by jennybenny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jennybenny said:

What about asking for fresh lime juice instead of the premixed stuff? A busy bar may not be able to do it all the time, but maybe a slower bar. Finding a good bartender is key on a cruise 🙂

I've cruised with a diabetic (met her on the cruise) who was able to do that, and the bartender she found was always happy to use fresh lime juice in her margaritas. 

I have always asked for fresh lime juice in my cocktails and guess I have always been fortunate to have the greatest bartenders on Princess and I've been accommodated.  Always find the best bartenders in Crooners and Vines and my cocktails have always been great. 

• Like 3

I've always been pleased with the quality. Was on the enchanted less than a year ago and was happy with all of my cocktails, but just off the celebrity summit and they were horrible! I just ended going to wine and sticking with that, and we had the premium package. Oh well.

• Like 1

We have found that the cocktails vary greatly depending on the bartenders who happen to be on the ship and to some degree what is in stock at the bars.  We have had drinks that taste like rubbing alcohol and others that are supremely tasty.  In general, we find the pool bars to usually be the worst and so far the best ever was the Good Spirits at Sea.  

My drink of choice is vodka gimlet.   But they insist on using Rose’s sweetened lime juice which to me is reflux in a bottle.   I will be taking my own lime juice on next cruise and just ordering vodka on the rocks.   Then adding my own juice.   A couple of good stirs and I will be set to go.

1 minute ago, pedirn said:

My drink of choice is vodka gimlet.   But they insist on using Rose’s sweetened lime juice which to me is reflux in a bottle.   I will be taking my own lime juice on next cruise and just ordering vodka on the rocks.   Then adding my own juice.   A couple of good stirs and I will be set to go.

To me a gimlet should be served straight up not on the rocks. But maybe I am just old fashioned 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, memoak said:

To me a gimlet should be served straight up not on the rocks. But maybe I am just old fashioned 

I like a Gimlet, prefer gin to vodka but will take either in a pinch,  half and half alcohol/lime juice and a touch of simple syrup, shaken with ice and strained into a proper martini glass with a wheel of fresh lime on the side.  Delish.

59 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I've found the Pina Colada and Margarita mixes to be terrible.  For me, undrinkable.  If they're going to use mixes, they should at least spend a bit more for decent ones.  

I totally agree. I love a Pina Colada but the Princess ones are pretty grim - and also really hit and miss. I found some bars used pre-mixed stuff while others added the coconut 'cream' and pineapple juice etc. separately. The availability of fresh pineapple garnish was also very unreliable.

1 minute ago, saint_em said:

I totally agree. I love a Pina Colada but the Princess ones are pretty grim - and also really hit and miss. I found some bars used pre-mixed stuff while others added the coconut 'cream' and pineapple juice etc. separately. The availability of fresh pineapple garnish was also very unreliable.

My workaround is to order Malibu rum with pineapple juice (assuming they have real pineapple juice available).