Early Fort Lauderdale flight...are we crazy?

mistyPA

Hi Anyone who can offer any information -

We are a party of 7, possibly 9, traveling Enchanted Princess 4/20-4/27. There is only 1 direct flight leaving FLL to our area and it leaves at 9.57 am. We are doing walk-off with carry on bags, so when we get to airport all we would have to do is go thru security. We would be flying Jetblue and would get Blue Extra for priority security (provided FLL offers). 

Are we crazy to even attempt this? Anyone have any thoughts?

24 minutes ago, mistyPA said:

We are a party of 7, possibly 9, traveling Enchanted Princess 4/20-4/27. There is only 1 direct flight leaving FLL to our area and it leaves at 9.57

Are you able to walk off with your suitcases?   I think that would be essential.

After one cruise, I walked off, and I took a picture of the radio / clock in my car...

I was driving out of the parking garage at 06:55

But, that was a day where everything went perfectly.

No all arrival days are perfect.

I think the question is:  how much risk are you willing to accept?

Here's an answer from a former business traveller.

if you miss the flight, what is the next flight that the airline can put you on?? Don't assume that the next flight is in a couple of hours because that flight may be full...do you have enough status for this?

April 27 is a Saturday and on a Saturday in April those flights may be booked solid........are you prepared to wait a couple of days for the next available seats??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Clampram said:

if you miss the flight, what is the next flight that the airline can put you on?? Don't assume that the next flight is in a couple of hours because that flight may be full...do you have enough status for this?

April 27 is a Saturday and on a Saturday in April those flights may be booked solid........are you prepared to wait a couple of days for the next available seats??

To piggy back on this - if you did miss your flight, what are the chances that all seven (or nine) of you could be accommodated on the next flight. It may take several days for your entire party to return home.

• Like 1

The earliest you can get off the ship will be around 7. Then you have to go through Customs at the Port (assuming they’re open at that time). At 7:30 you get a taxi for a 20 minute ride to the airport. Around 8 you go through security at the airport (at that time there shouldn’t be any line up). At 8:30 - 9 you should be at your gate for your flight home. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Clampram said:

There is no way I would risk it with a group that big!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

The earliest you can get off the ship will be around 7. Then you have to go through Customs at the Port (assuming they’re open at that time). At 7:30 you get a taxi for a 20 minute ride to the airport. Around 8 you go through security at the airport (at that time there shouldn’t be any line up). At 8:30 - 9 you should be at your gate for your flight home. 

In a perfect world.  But as others have mentioned things can happen not to mention in Fort Lauderdale on any given Saturday there could be over 20,000 plus passengers disembarking from ships and many of them headed to the airport.

28 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

In a perfect world.  But as others have mentioned things can happen not to mention in Fort Lauderdale on any given Saturday there could be over 20,000 plus passengers disembarking from ships and many of them headed to the airport.

True “in a perfect world”. We have done it before (we were lucky, first ones off the boat) and had plenty of time getting to the airport. Yes it was nerve wracking and won’t do it again. The only problem for us was going through Customs at the Port. At that time they only had a few of them. If Customs aren’t there, they won’t let you off the boat. 
Trusting these people have Trip/interruption insurance. 

Edited by DHP1

So many factors to consider.  How many ships in port that day. Saturday in FLL can be crazy. We were hard pressed one time to make  1:00 flight. It took forever to check luggage and get through security  

Our last cruise was late getting into port. We had weather issues and didn't even start getting off ship till almost 10 

I would not want to herd that many cats!

I’m pretty much on the conservative side when it comes to travel planning but, I’d probably chance it for that flight.  You will have to use walk off and set up a ride to get you to the airport as soon as you disembark.  I’ve been to FLL by 8 AM without even trying before.  But once, we had to change docks as the Carnival ship occupying our scheduled dock was stuck in place.  Our flight was at 11:30 AM and we just made it.  But that was a rarity.  

You might want to book a refundable flight, maybe on Southwest, just to be on the safe side.  

We did February cruise on Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale this year. Had 10:30 am flight out of FLL. Walked off a little before 7:00, took taxi to airport, and were at gate by 7:45. We were amazed at how easy it was. Breezed through security at airport. Had nice breakfast in Piazza before we left. Very good breakfast burritos. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I’m pretty much on the conservative side when it comes to travel planning but, I’d probably chance it for that flight.  You will have to use walk off and set up a ride to get you to the airport as soon as you disembark.  I’ve been to FLL by 8 AM without even trying before.  But once, we had to change docks as the Carnival ship occupying our scheduled dock was stuck in place.  Our flight was at 11:30 AM and we just made it.  But that was a rarity.  

You might want to book a refundable flight, maybe on Southwest, just to be on the safe side.  

I would probably chance it too....but just in case,  I like this SW backup plan.

Have a plan B & C. 

But you might make it just fine.

• Like 1

You are 3 minutes earlier than the earliest allowed flight through EZAir so no, you're not crazy.  We are actually on a 9:54 flight out of FLL a week later.  If the ship is late then even the flights booked within the Princess preferred timing are in trouble so I wouldn't stress over it.  The airport is very close, taxis are plentiful and if you are some of the first off you should get through security quickly with time to spare at the gate.

• Like 2

A group moves as fast as it least competent, slowest person.  Every group has one.  This will be the person that causes all of you to miss that flight or have a close call.  IMHO the cost of spending one night in a hotel would be a lot cheaper than the cost of staying a few nights until you all get accomodated on later flights after your group misses the first flight.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mistyPA said:

We are a party of 7, possibly 9, traveling Enchanted Princess 4/20-4/27. There is only 1 direct flight leaving FLL to our area and it leaves at 9.57 am. We are doing walk-off with carry on bags, so when we get to airport all we would have to do is go thru security. We would be flying Jetblue and would get Blue Extra for priority security (provided FLL offers). 

Have done 10am flights several times.  Only had one hitch and we still made our flight.  I have no concerns booking a 9:30 or 10am flight if the ship is docking by 7am.

Our hitch:  Last year on Emerald after Panama Canal. I had booked a 10am flight that got changed by Delta to 9:30.  We were supposed to dock at 6am so I wasn't really worried about it.  Our last port, had strong winds and we were 3 hours late leaving.  Captain said he couldn't make up all of that time getting back, so I tried to call and see what my flight options were.  None for that day, so they advised keep our current flight and see if we can make it.

Ship arrived back at Port Everglade at about 7:30, but they did not start letting us off till about 8:20.  Lots of people trying to catch a flight.  We were off and at FLL by 8:45.  Got in baggage line, and a Delta rep asked if anyone was on the 9:30.  They pulled a few of us out of the line and took us up and got our bags checked, and we got through security and on the plane at 9:10 and made our flight.

I try to stick to no early than 10am normally, which you should be fine if the ship is on time.

4 hours ago, mistyPA said:

It all depends on how comfortable you are with the possibility of missing your flight. Would you be stressed if that were to happen or just move to Plan B?

You might easily make it with no problem but ….. Disembarkation can easily be delayed. I’ve had it be 9:00 before the first passengers can leave the ship and secure y lines can be very long.

Are you  all TSA pre check or can you be by then? The security line is a bear at times in FLL and while I have made similar timeframes it has always been just two people for a flight out of the airport. The size of your group, possibility of someone being pulled for additional screening and taxi service would all be concerning for 7 in a way that it doesn’t for just a couple.

Also, with seven you are looking at two cabs maybe a private car pickup could help since there is no taxi line to wait in and you can schedule pickup.

I loved the comment about the weakest link in your party holding you up, are you willing or able to leave that person and some get on the flight? I did not see if the group was elderly family members or children or simply a group of friends where it would be Ok if part of the group missed the flight.

I finished a Transatlantic cruise in FLL last year.  Since it was the first time the ship (Regal) had been in the US that season, the entire crew had to clear customs and immigration.  And CBP only had 3 agents available for the entire set of passengers AND crew.  It was horrendous.  Fortunately my flight wasn't until the afternoon, but if I'd had a morning flight, I'd have been screwed.