Shopping bags and room service plates

phabric

Presently on the Island doing 14 day Mediterranean.

It was mentioned here, that the stores on the ship were not giving out paper bags with purchasing.

On the Island, paper bags given out with purchases.

I ordered food from the app to be deliver to my cabin.  I called room service where do I put my dirty dishes.  I was told “outside your cabin door”, there were picked up a short time later

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, phabric said:

It was mentioned here, that the stores on the ship were not giving out paper bags with purchasing.

I ordered food from the app to be deliver to my cabin.  I called room service where do I put my dirty dishes.  I was told “outside your cabin door”, there were picked up a short time later

I have used the app to pick up dishes.  They were soon removed.  I am guessing those who place dishes out…and they remain there for long periods of time…do not alert Room Service and/or steward is off duty.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bollycats said:

And the shops do not have bags on this ship so I had to carry my shirts around with me.

That is the weirdest thing.  I think I would be mad if they wouldn't put my purchases in a bag for me to take back to my room. I get cost cutting, but this is ridiculous. 

Edited by kywildcatfanone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

Be careful opening your cabin door if you put them outside like you were told.  Some on here advocate moving the tray in front of your door as they do not like the looks of the tray in the hall. 

I was thinking exactly the same thing!  Someone is instructed specifically to put their tray outside the door and then they open their door and step on a glass because someone else doesn’t like it.  So inconsiderate and potentially dangerous!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, phabric said:

Thank you! This was our exact experience last month on the Island too, yet some here argued that we'd 'never' be told to do such a thing. 

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing!  Someone is instructed specifically to put their tray outside the door and then they open their door and step on a glass because someone else doesn’t like it.  So inconsiderate and potentially dangerous!

It is being expressed by posters on this board. Cameras in the passageways should be able to identify the culprit if something does happen.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Potstech said:

It is being expressed by posters on this board. Cameras in the passageways should be able to identify the culprit if something does happen.

I’m aware of the member you are referring to and the comments.  Hard to believe someone wishes for an accident to happen.  Hope you’re right about the cameras

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

If a person is that in a daze they would probably step in someone else's dishes anyway.

A cruise vacation is a delicate balance of enjoying yourself and prioritizing your preferences, with treating the crew respectfully and being considerate of your fellow passengers. It shouldn't be that difficult to accomplish. We enjoy eating on our balcony - if I want food in my room on my vacation and Princess offers that option, I should be able to enjoy that perk. It used to be you could call for room service pick up and just leave your plates in the stateroom and they would come collect them, even if you were out. I'm not sure when or if that has really changed. Maybe they are telling people to put them outside now, but I'm among those who don't really find it safe or appealing to see food trays or plates lining the hallway. They are narrow and it does present difficulty for disabled passengers. However, I find it equally disturbing that anyone would push that in front of an unsuspecting person's door and create a real tripping hazard. That's just not ok. Maybe there is a happy medium - maybe try calling for pick up and let room service know the plates will be in your room, please collect them there. Or if you are told to leave them outside your door - try to place them a bit in the alcove in front of your door so they aren't out in the hall. At least if you do it, you will know it's there and not trip over it. It really takes so little just to be considerate of one another. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

That is the weirdest thing.  I think I would be mad if they wouldn't put my purchases in a bag for me to take back to my room. I get cost cutting, but this is ridiculous. 

Don’t spend your precious cruise time being mad .. they will always deliver it to your room for you.  Or, you can take your own bag with you and just pack it in there.  Very simple solutions are available.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Don’t spend your precious cruise time being mad

My point is, a bag to take your purchases back to your room should be provided, and not part of the cost cutting the cruise line is doing.  Paper or plastic bags do not cost much to provide, so they aren't saving enough money to justify this downgrade to the customer.

Again you do your way and carry your dirty dishes wherever you desire. Does this include the Lido deck and the buffet? After all there are often plates of food sitting out in these places also.  I, and many others, will continue to do as requested by the ships crew. If it is such a huge problem for you there is another way to alleviate for you. That is to find another means of vacation/travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

My point is, a bag to take your purchases back to your room should be provided, and not part of the cost cutting the cruise line is doing.  Paper or plastic bags do not cost much to provide, so they aren't saving enough money to justify this downgrade to the customer.

The stores where we live don’t provide bags (sometimes they don’t have them, other times we have to pay for them) and we always just got used to taking all our own bags everywhere we go.  I never expect a bag to be provided so, we never see it as a downgrade, much less get mad, if I don’t get one.   It’s better for the environment anyway.  
Again, I am pretty sure they will deliver them to your room if you don’t want to carry a purchase around without a bag.  

• Like 2

If I receive a bag that’s fine and if I don’t that’s fine, too.  Such a non issue for me.  Only very high end stores give bags (with their logo, of course) where I live.  We take our own and have done so for years.  If Princess doesn’t give me one, I’ll just have it delivered to my cabin or just take it back myself without a bag.  Really not a big deal at all.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I tend to agree with you.  Bags should be provided with purchases.  I doubt it has much to do with expense cutting.  More likely to make folks feel good about being environmentally correct. 

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I tend to agree with you.  Bags should be provided with purchases.  I doubt it has much to do with expense cutting.  More likely to make folks feel good about being environmentally correct. 

Yeah.  They should have them and ask if you want one or not.  Seems simple enough.

• Like 1