Does the Solarium always have that smell?

CruisinShips

2 hours ago, NASCAR Bubba said:

New urine alarms are being installed on next scheduled dry docks. This should help out , Royal is seeing  good results on there new installs. Quite embarrassing when only two people in hot tub.

I think someone would need to have a really big bladder before one person could trigger a “urine alarm “ in a pool.

35 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I think someone would need to have a really big bladder before one person could trigger a “urine alarm “ in a pool.

Try a few kids over a few hours.  LOL.  Not that big of a pool in the solarium 

53 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

You’re 100% correct.  I wish more people would follow my example and shower before getting into the pools or hot tubs.  This would make the pools much more enjoyable.

If the hot tub is 100f-102f, an adult will sweat between 1-2 pints an hour while soaking so a shower doesn't prevent sweating.  In a pool, however, a person may not sweat at all unless they're performing an activity like swimming laps

And I was squeamish about swimming in public pools before this thread lol!

And who knew a simple thread starter about a smelly solarium experience would turn into a duel between chemistry experts…and another chemical reaction: my eyes glazing over when reading the posts lol. 

• Haha 1

Even if salt water they use heavy chlorine.   I once went in with a Kelly Green Swimsuit and got out with a beige swimsuit with green threads. 

Worst is on the E-Class when too windy for the high price dinner on the Magic Carpet they move it into to Solarium.   Not as strong of a smell but not what I would pay for an upscale meal ambiance.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m not sure I agree with this take. 

If you read that article closely it agrees with my statement:

Monochloramine is sometimes intentionally added to water because it is actually a useful water disinfectant.

The Pool and Hot Tub Alliance suggests FAC concentrations in pool water should remain in the range 1.0 – 4.0 parts per million for chlorine to work effectively (FAC should never fall below 1 part per million). 

It is when you overchorinate the di and tri chloramines form, which are the ones that smell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Even if salt water they use heavy chlorine.   I once went in with a Kelly Green Swimsuit and got out with a beige swimsuit with green threads. 

Worst is on the E-Class when too windy for the high price dinner on the Magic Carpet they move it into to Solarium.   Not as strong of a smell but not what I would pay for an upscale meal ambiance.

I believe you Jim but what dinners are being moved to the Solarium???

I never go into pools.  The dihydrous oxide will kill you.

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I believe you Jim but what dinners are being moved to the Solarium???

I never go into pools.  The dihydrous oxide will kill you.

We dined in the Solarium on Solstice.  It was an overnight, and we were anchored in Sydney Harbour for the first day.  They were offering an upper deck pool ‘specialty dinner’ with 360 views of the Opera House, etc at night.  Seemed like a great idea until a storm blew in, and they moved the dinner inside.  The staff removed all the loungers on one side of the Solarium, and set up white tablecloth type dining with live music.  We  missed the views, but rest of the experience was well done.

I am glad that we didn’t know about the ‘chlorine smell’ as that might have put a damper on the evening.

5 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

LOL - close enough (dihydrogen oxide).

I prefer mine splashed into some bourbon.

I'm not big on this chemistry stuff, but I sincerely hope the dihydrogen oxide isn't the urine you guys were discussing earlier....

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

If you read that article closely it agrees with my statement:

Monochloramine is sometimes intentionally added to water because it is actually a useful water disinfectant.

The Pool and Hot Tub Alliance suggests FAC concentrations in pool water should remain in the range 1.0 – 4.0 parts per million for chlorine to work effectively (FAC should never fall below 1 part per million). 

It is when you overchorinate the di and tri chloramines form, which are the ones that smell.

Fair enough, never the less, my pool never smells. 🙂

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I always thought it was dihydrogen monoxide. 🙂

Agree, great with BOURBON. 

Well, your post kept me occupied for several minutes.

As the self proclaimed queen of typos that I don't see when proofreading, I have spent several minutes making sure that I spelled bourbon correctly in my post.

5 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Fair enough, never the less, my pool never smells. 🙂

I have never really noticed too much of a smell from outdoor pools, and the only time I would notice it with our home pool growing up was when shocking it. I'm not sure I have ever not noticed at least some smell from indoor pools, whether onboard or at a hotel. I believe most commercial pools are required to maintain a free chlorine residual, which with any quantifiable ammonia component requires adding enough chlorine past the break point that all ammonia is converted to di and tri chloramines before free chlorine is available again. There is just not enough fresh air flow to allow that smell to dissipate.