Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Another new show last night.  Once again the talented 5 singers, plus the orchestra featuring the "High Seas" horns.  Lots of energy.  This time we both came prepared and brought our ear plugs...and with Bucky using his, even simply taking his hearing aids out...was still too loud.  Both walked in with a glass of wine, found good seats...and enjoyed the evening.  🙂  Show called "In Concert".  

Once again no pictures...won't do that to our neighbors.  😉  Though many did not care and constantly had their bright cell screens held up to film the show.  Ughhh...

The show was really good!  The singers are all fantastic!  I especially loved  “Smoke on the Water”!  Awesome!  There was one number where the audience was encouraged to wave their phone flashlights.  It always cracks me up that very few seem to know how to find their phone flashlight!  We watched many try to figure it out, but couldn’t so just used their “home” screen! 🤣

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, pstone1 said:

We had dinner in Chops last night and Jim loved his Filet!  As always, great food and service!  

The MDR has had an “off the menu” dinner special each night.  On Night 1 of this cruise, the special was Filet Mignon, which of course was Jim’s choice.  He said his Filet was as good as the ones he gets in Chops.

LOL...that was the night we missed going to the MDR....as we had the foodie tour.  Which I am happy we did not miss.  🥰

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...that was the night we missed going to the MDR....as we had the foodie tour.  Which I am happy we did not miss.  🥰

Jim is hopeful the Filet will be a MDR special again on the next cruise!  We shall see . . .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

The "Cheers with an Officer" lunch used to have decent "Chops" steak...but the last two I had were pretty bad, and not so good on previous ships either.  

The lunch a few days ago in Giovanni's...steak was very good, and then the lunch in Chops...fantastic!

I am guessing they save the best cuts for their specialty restaurants...which makes sense.  Closer to the kitchen with the chefs working in the open, visible space there under scrutiny.  😉 

Perfect filet in MDR last night

20240121_190750.thumb.jpg.6dac7f7a175be3b70fa2c1072f0e3262.jpg

Sauce on side next time

20240121_190406.thumb.jpg.791f8d9e00149e2dd949481054c6a11f.jpg

Lobster appetizer 😉

20240121_185212.thumb.jpg.603089574b74bb06837f223528c80752.jpg

And the chilled soups are back😁

Peach last night

20240121_184701.thumb.jpg.3bbaeb7114c68f2d50d9fdbc1b2e74f8.jpg

• Like 16

2 hours ago, pstone1 said:

We had dinner in Chops last night and Jim loved his Filet!  As always, great food and service!  

The MDR has had an “off the menu” dinner special each night.  On Night 1 of this cruise, the special was Filet Mignon, which of course was Jim’s choice.  He said his Filet was as good as the ones he gets in Chops.

We missed that since we got back late from the Falls trip

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Another new show last night.  Once again the talented 5 singers, plus the orchestra featuring the "High Seas" horns.  Lots of energy.  This time we both came prepared and brought our ear plugs...and with Bucky using his, even simply taking his hearing aids out...was still too loud.  Both walked in with a glass of wine, found good seats...and enjoyed the evening.  🙂  Show called "In Concert".  

Once again no pictures...won't do that to our neighbors.  😉  Though many did not care and constantly had their bright cell screens held up to film the show.  Ughhh...

No neighbors in our 'private' box above the stage😉

My sister lived in Valparaiso for several years.  We were young married, little kids and poor so I never got to visit.  She has lived many places and she still talks about how beautiful it was.  I’m looking forward to your pictures. 

We have really enjoyed every High C’s we’ve heard but they are always too loud! Royal always finds great talent for them! 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 2:42 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Retirement scares me. I do what I had wanted from when I was a little kid. I don't know how I'd give it up. 

Isn't that the very definition of retirement?  Assuming you are financially secure, you can do what you want, when you want, wherever you want. You can even go back to work part time if you like. It's a great feeling going to work knowing you don't have to & can quit anytime.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

No neighbors in our 'private' box above the stage😉

We were in our little "private box" along the side.  😉  No one in front of us, but could see the main seating down front with all the little lighted boxes held up.  

26 minutes ago, doghog said:

Add a shot or two to some of those chilled soups and they would make a good drink. 🙂

Oooooohhh...Yeah, now you are talking!!  Little lace of 151 Rum on top of that soup.  😄 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

I dim mine way down and just take quick pics. It’s mostly to remember what happened each day. LOL I don’t need a video of the whole show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Isn't that the very definition of retirement?  Assuming you are financially secure, you can do what you want, when you want, wherever you want. You can even go back to work part time if you like. It's a great feeling going to work knowing you don't have to & can quit anytime.

I work as a private travel agent with a select customer base of two.  😉  😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16

2 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I dim mine way down and just take quick pics. It’s mostly to remember what happened each day. LOL I don’t need a video of the whole show.

Thanks!  Wish everyone was as considerate as you are!  🙂 

Egg drop competition...again.  This time not as well attended for a couple of reasons I suppose.  Had already had the first one, and the weather today was finally nice outside.  Many pax opting for being out in the sunshine we have not had for days.  Not to mention warmer now...if you consider 59 degrees warm.  😉  But with the sunshine and the cold windy days we had previously, it does feel warm.  

Winner was the largest entry at first place.  Big contraption!  I did not join this time, maybe next time...if there is one.  

20240122_113836.jpg

20240122_113759.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

Not to mention warmer now...if you consider 59 degrees warm. 

Better than it was in Orlando yesterday - high was 57, and the low was 34🥶 We are only going to get up to the mid-60's today😇

Edited by orville99
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Better than it was in Orlando yesterday - high was 57, and the low was 34🥶 We are only going to get up to the mid-60's today😇

Mid 60's sounds like summer to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

OMG....Bucky freezes his tiny behind when it is under 80 degrees.  😄  But he was a real trooper with the frigid Antarctic weather we just had.  Though having plenty of "antifreeze" does help.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Heck yea! I really miss the chilled soups. Wish they would bring them back on all ships.

I think I remember a Watermelon soup that was oooooo so good!  😋

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

My sister in law runs around in shorts in Wisconsin when it gets over 60 degrees.  😄 

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So do I.

When we lived on Long Island, I used to run every day (before the knees became bone on bone) and I ran in shorts until the temperature was under 30°.  As long as my core middle and hands were warm, I never wore long pants.

Now that we live in Florida, I’ve become a bit more of a wimp with temps, but still walk in shorts as I did the past few days of temps in the 30s 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, island lady said:

My sister in law runs around in shorts in Wisconsin when it gets over 60 degrees.  😄 

When I lived in upstate New York, the first day it hit the 60’s I would close the office and take everyone out for ice cream😇

Edited by orville99
  • Haha 3