Just a Question: Would you support "no cell phone" areas on Ships?

Bluewake

8 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

The trouble is the cruise ships have transferred into the technology age and QR codes are displayed in the daily newspaper and the ship requires you to fill in your departure information via your phone.

Requires. Wrong. I don't. On the ship, hard copy of all dining venue menus and Celebrity Today. I use my lap top for anything pre cruise except picking our check in time, muster drill and health info which is complete prior to boarding the ship.  Once on the ship my cell phone goes directly into the stateroom safe for the entire cruise. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JDPCruisers said:

As with others, we find this quite annoying no matter where it happens, and it seems to happen just about anywhere. Oblivious people or likely they just don't care about anyone else around them. Sign of the times, I guess.

Agree. 

When I was young (and dinosaurs ruled the earth) we were taught never to raise our voices in public places.  (The only exception concerned mentioning that the building was on fire.)  Phones in public areas were enclosed in quaint wooden things called phone booths because people preferred privacy (pre Jerry Springer) and also wished to be considerate.  Values have shifted over time, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.  It is what it is.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

When I was young (and dinosaurs ruled the earth) we were taught never to raise our voices in public places.  (The only exception concerned mentioning that the building was on fire.)  Phones in public areas were enclosed in quaint wooden things called phone booths because people preferred privacy (pre Jerry Springer) and also wished to be considerate.  Values have shifted over time, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.  It is what it is.  

I remember all of that except the dinosaurs...maybe they already extinct in my area.   The "building on fire" comment did make me chuckle. 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 1

I think you are suggesting the wrong solution.  The solution should not be to ban phones, but to require people to use them on mute when playing games/watching videos or to use headphones when using them as a phone or placing video calls.  This problem is not unique to cruise ships.  It happens in doctor's offices, grocery stores, offices, restaurants, on and on and on.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Shiba_Lover said:

I think you are suggesting the wrong solution.  The solution should not be to ban phones, but to require people to use them on mute when playing games/watching videos or to use headphones when using them as a phone or placing video calls.  This problem is not unique to cruise ships.  It happens in doctor's offices, grocery stores, offices, restaurants, on and on and on.

That's pretty much what the OP suggested..folks just didn't want to read that part.  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

That's pretty much what the OP suggested..folks just didn't want to read that part.  

They actually said NO cell phone conversations are permitted.  I don't think that's realistic.  I think it is much more realistic to require people to conduct conversations using headphones rather than speakerphone.  (slight difference is they said no conversations and use headphones for watching videos)

Edited by Shiba_Lover

3 minutes ago, Shiba_Lover said:

They actually said NO cell phone conversations are permitted.  I don't think that's realistic.  I think it is much more realistic to require people to conduct conversations using headphones rather than speakerphone.  (slight difference is they said no conversations and use headphones for watching videos)

The OP said, in the header and the post, "certain areas."

I am 100% onboard with this. No pun intended . 

I have found that on all my Celebrity cruises, even recently,  the Solarium is the place to be if you want a peaceful experience.  In 14 years of enjoying time there, I can remember only 2 incidents of noisy passengers ( a family with a toddler  and a lady watching a movie on her phone. Both were spoken to by staff.)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shiba_Lover said:

They suggested certain areas for no talking…I see no issue myself. Obviously, some folks do.  Fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

I have found that on all my Celebrity cruises, even recently,  the Solarium is the place to be if you want a peaceful experience.  In 14 years of enjoying time there, I can remember only 2 incidents of noisy passengers ( a family with a toddler  and a lady watching a movie on her phone. Both were spoken to by staff.)

The staff handling this is refreshing to hear. 

• Like 5

If someone is using their phone on speaker in public then I naturally assume they want others to be involved in the call as well. Therefore I chime in with answers, advice, snorts of laughter and plenty of questions. That is also an invitation for me to start playing Cotton Eyed Joe on my phone at full volume.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Totally agree with the OP.  Seems like all you have to do is find someplace quiet to read and, invariably, some loudmouth or noisy group will sit down next to you.  I would love to see a designated "Quiet Area" like they do for smokers.

You know, there's an area that used to be on most cruise ships that was designated as "quiet areas".  They were filled with books (reading is very quiet if done right) and sometimes had computers and games.  Unlike similar areas on land, these areas on ships are mostly unstaffed.  But most people knew how to behave when inside one.  Sadly, many are being converted to other uses on ships.

IMG_20230304_082114.thumb.jpg.05801ff4260ecd68a4d5e360ba71e97e.jpg

P.S.  I am more disturbed by some posts here that advocate attacking rudeness with EVEN MORE RUDENESS. 🤐

Edited by Honolulu Blue

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’ve been known to join in the conversations of any loudmouths on the phone near me…

Same!  Or I find the most obnoxious music on my phone, and blast it.  When the other person asks me to be quiet, I reply that I couldn't hear MY music over their loud conversation. 😛 

45 minutes ago, Shiba_Lover said:

Recently I've heard announcements on airlines that include to please USE your headphones so as not to disturb your fellow passengers.  I am not sure why this even needs to be said! and yet here we are. 😞 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’ve been known to join in the conversations of any loudmouths on the phone near me…

I did that in a diner once….it was bad enough this dude was being loud on his end but when his food came he put in on speakerphone, and the person on the other end was even louder. So when she started talking about what kind of wine to pick up from the liquor store I recommended a nice Assyrtiko from Santorini. The guy in the diner looked at me like I had just insulted his mother but thankfully turned off the speakerphone. I’ll never know if they took my wine recommendation 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Haha 14

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

The trouble is the cruise ships have transferred into the technology age and QR codes are displayed in the daily newspaper and the ship requires you to fill in your departure information via your phone.

As far as I recollect, those activities don't include using the speaker, or even talking.

11 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

You know, there's an area that used to be on most cruise ships that was designated as "quiet areas".  They were filled with books (reading is very quiet if done right) and sometimes had computers and games.  Unlike similar areas on land, these areas on ships are mostly unstaffed.  But most people knew how to behave when inside one.  Sadly, many are being converted to other uses on ships.

IMG_20230304_082114.thumb.jpg.05801ff4260ecd68a4d5e360ba71e97e.jpg

P.S.  I am more disturbed by some posts here that advocate attacking rudeness with EVEN MORE RUDENESS. 🤐

If it’s become the accepted norm, is it even rude anymore? (Flippantly rhetorical.) 

I’d probably just load Killing in the Name Of (Google the lyrics if you don’t know them (NSFW…) on repeat. As loud as possible. 

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Again, no one suggested a ban on phones.  

Can we ban the idiots who irresponsibly use them and annoy the rest of the crowd? 🙂

I went to a concert about a month ago.  The concert was in seats.  There were some people who though that it would be a brilliant idea to stand up during the whole concert and block everyone's views.  The people behind them looked dejected and left.  This was about 2 rows worth of people.  There was standing room only on the concert floor where they could have had a much better view,  but they felt entitled to do whatever they wanted...

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

I have not been "required" to fill in departure info on my phone.  Just got off 10 days ago and did not have to fill out any departure info.