Current Prices of Wine by the Glass

barbels

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

How was that Decoy?  Because I just tried a Decoy Pinot Noir which was really sub par.  Over on Reddit they say I should try Decoy anything else and/or Duckhorn.

Decoy is one of Duckhorns introductory level wines. They’ve always been acceptable, but never great. That largely translates to their Pinot Noir. They make a Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir that I remember being pretty good, but their base white label is just listed as California and is pretty forgettable. 

Duckhorn’s (parent company) Pinot Noir label is Goldeneye (named for the duck, not the James Bond movie or Ian Fleming’s estate). Goldeneye is made with Anderson Valley fruit and is generally excellent. 

Not a huge Reddit fan, but I’d agree here…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I just took a peek at the beers.  Not a beer drinker,  but I was shocked that the majority of the beers are now on the premium package.

I want to be, but that’s the trend. Go to an MLB or NBA game. Same and maybe worse. They did have Dogfish 90 in the premium package on Equinox. If they start moving that into surcharge territory…

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

The way that this is headed there won't be any Classic package in a year or two...  Perhaps that is when the third tier will be introduced...

I actually preferred the Decoy to the Beringer Knights Valley that they gifted me even though Beringer is more expensive. Not sure where they found it as it was not on any wine list I saw, maybe Luminae or one of the Specialty restaurants. I didn't try any of the red wines during Elite HH except a glass of Tini on basic package which is a Chilean Sauvignon blanc. Surprisingly good. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

Considering that the $12/glass Riesling retails for less than $10/bottle, those prices are pretty outrageous.  

Edited by Andy_P
Already answered and can't simply delete.

9 hours ago, markeb said:

Decoy is one of Duckhorns introductory level wines. They’ve always been acceptable, but never great. That largely translates to their Pinot Noir. They make a Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir that I remember being pretty good, but their base white label is just listed as California and is pretty forgettable. 

Duckhorn’s (parent company) Pinot Noir label is Goldeneye (named for the duck, not the James Bond movie or Ian Fleming’s estate). Goldeneye is made with Anderson Valley fruit and is generally excellent. 

Not a huge Reddit fan, but I’d agree here…

I can get Goldeneye Pinot for $57 from my local evil big box wine store.  And I sometimes get 15% off coupons.

Reddit is great.  It’s like being on Cruise Critic, except with better jokes.

Edit:  Did anyone post a list of the wines in Elevate?

Edited by zitsky

14 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

It does seem like the hikes are excessive.

I am looking at a bottle of wine that sells for $12 at the store and the by the glass price is now $17.  It used to be $12 by the glass.

If you make the drinks ridiculously overpriced it makes the ridiculously overpriced beverage package seem like a bargain. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, markeb said:

You must. Most of your $10 a glass wines retail for $10 a bottle. Not usually true for higher priced wines  $100/bottle will probably be $30-35 a glass. 

Actually, that’s not accurate. Figuring that there are about five glasses of wine in a bottle, that would be a 500% markup. Most restaurants mark up from 200 -300%  I’ve almost never seen markups over 400%. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 6:48 PM, 39august said:

Is Deocy cab still at the premium package limit?  How about Mer Soliel chard?

These have been my go-to dinner wines and I got the premium package with them in mine. Looking at the lists in the app for my Summit cruise next week, Decoy is now elevated at $19 and Mer Soliel is by the bottle only ($80). Now, I'll just have to work my way through the list to find new "go-to"s. I'm hoping to befriend the sommelier. In the past, they have found some off list wines that were really good that they could serve me by the glass. I'm hoping in this wine list transition, they can find some leftovers that need to be drunk. I'm happy to help!

Can anyone who is currently sailing report what they are actually able to order (on either package) in the MDR?  There hasn’t been a Sauvignon Blanc in the Classic price point listed in the Wines By The Glass menu for years…but I just ask for “a glass of SB” and I’ve always received one.

46 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Can anyone who is currently sailing report what they are actually able to order (on either package) in the MDR?  There hasn’t been a Sauvignon Blanc in the Classic price point listed in the Wines By The Glass menu for years…but I just ask for “a glass of SB” and I’ve always received one.

The Chilean SB that I listed earlier is on the basic package.  I also saw it in the buffet.

• Thanks 1

The Alta Vista “Mlabec” stood out to me.  Celebrity can’t even spell Malbec correctly 🤣.  I’ve seen it in the stores for as low as $10 a bottle.  $17 a glass is comical.  I guess that’s what we get for complaining there were very few wines by the glass in the premium price range.  X just raised the price of its classic wines to fill the premium category.  I’m wondering if there will soon be a third tier “Ultimate” package.  

• Like 4

Is this any good.  The Hotel Director just sent. Iain doesn’t drink red so told him to send to Luminae for a credit against  a bottle he enjoy like Pouilly-Fuisse.  

I think it was for B2B.  Unless it was from the negative attention to detail complaint about the wine.   The wine he drinks the Luminae Sommelier has only been able to get two bottles in the past week and we know it’s onboard.  We met with the Cellarmaster and he says. He has it and will make sure there is a supply tonight and rest of cruise. 

IMG_1566.thumb.jpeg.f6c1ff878ea8c3667e7931ed69ec59be.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kennystwin said:

Looking at the lists in the app for my Summit cruise next week, Decoy is now elevated at $19

Not sure how much I trust the app until onboard. My Equinox cruise in less than 2 weeks has Decoy cab at $14 in the MDR menu and at World Class bar. But with my luck yours has updated and is correct.

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

this any good.  The Hotel Director just sent. Iain doesn’t drink red so told him to send to Luminae for a credit against  a bottle he enjoy like Pouilly-Fuisse.  

This is from The southern Rhone. Is a blend of Shiraz, Grenache and Mourvèdre 

it has peach and apple on the palette and is medium bodied

Retails for about $22 US

I do generally enjoy Rhone Valley wines, but personally have not tried this one Jim 

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2023 at 10:28 AM, theopup said:

This is from The southern Rhone. Is a blend of Shiraz, Grenache and Mourvèdre 

it has peach and apple on the palette and is medium bodied

Retails for about $22 US

I do generally enjoy Rhone Valley wines, but personally have not tried this one Jim 

A red with peach and apple?

On 12/8/2023 at 2:10 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Is this any good.  The Hotel Director just sent. Iain doesn’t drink red so told him to send to Luminae for a credit against  a bottle he enjoy like Pouilly-Fuisse.  

I think it was for B2B.  Unless it was from the negative attention to detail complaint about the wine.   The wine he drinks the Luminae Sommelier has only been able to get two bottles in the past week and we know it’s onboard.  We met with the Cellarmaster and he says. He has it and will make sure there is a supply tonight and rest of cruise. 

Vivino rates it a 3.7 and sells for $16.  Nothing special, but wine like everything else is subjective. Maybe you can trade it?

Edited by 81Zoomie

8 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

Vivino rates it a 3.7 and sells for $16.  Nothing special, but wine like everything else is subjective. Maybe you can trade it?

Wine is subjective.  The sommelier in Luminae on the Beyond wants me to drink wine from Lodi.  I’d rather drink wine from North Carolina.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Wine is subjective.  The sommelier in Luminae on the Beyond wants me to drink wine from Lodi.  I’d rather drink wine from North Carolina.

Why? Have you had Lodi wine? For decades it’s been the other percent in Napa and Sonoma wine. Many of them are very good. Some are excellent. Maybe North Carolina wines are good. Never had one. I’ve had plenty from Lodi, Amador County, and Livermore. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, markeb said:

Why? Have you had Lodi wine? For decades it’s been the other percent in Napa and Sonoma wine. Many of them are very good. Some are excellent. Maybe North Carolina wines are good. Never had one. I’ve had plenty from Lodi, Amador County, and Livermore. 

I have.  I am not a fan of Josh from Lodi.  I am trying Josh from Paso Robles tonight.

Here are my tasting notes for Josh from Lodi:

Jock Strap,  Forest Floor,  Cat Piss,  Pencil Shavings, and Wet Dog all in the same bottle!🤣

But better than Barefoot and Two Buck Chuck 🤣

Now Wente from LiverMore was OK.  Drinkable but not on the top of my list.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/7/2023 at 11:10 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Well you are in Australia.  I would be drinking the best Shiraz in the world ...

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I have.  I am not a fan of Josh from Lodi.  I am trying Josh from Paso Robles tonight.

Here are my tasting notes for Josh from Lodi:

Jock Strap,  Forest Floor,  Cat Piss,  Pencil Shavings, and Wet Dog all in the same bottle!🤣

But better than Barefoot and Two Buck Chuck 🤣

Now Wente from LiverMore was OK.  Drinkable but not on the top of my list.

It's been awhile, but a lot of the better Lodi producers were very small and you'd be hard pressed to find them outside of California. Some of them, sure. Michael David, for instance (7 Deadly Zins, and a number of much better Zinfandel based wines). But the ones we enjoyed when living there were mostly very small. Had no idea Josh marketed a Lodi wine. Don't know that I've ever had Josh and don't know that I would. Wente makes some pretty good wines. No, not top tier California, but better than a lot of the $15 bottles out there.

• Like 2