Current Prices of Wine by the Glass

barbels

On 12/7/2023 at 11:10 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Is this any good.  The Hotel Director just sent. Iain doesn’t drink red so told him to send to Luminae for a credit against  a bottle he enjoy like Pouilly-Fuisse.  

I think it was for B2B.  Unless it was from the negative attention to detail complaint about the wine.   The wine he drinks the Luminae Sommelier has only been able to get two bottles in the past week and we know it’s onboard.  We met with the Cellarmaster and he says. He has it and will make sure there is a supply tonight and rest of cruise. 

IMG_1566.thumb.jpeg.f6c1ff878ea8c3667e7931ed69ec59be.jpeg

We let the Edge yesterday and the same wine was delivered to our suite the night before.   It was from the hotel director.  Have no ides why.

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I love Wente but I only drink reds.

Everyone has different tastes.

My DW liked the Josh from Paso Robles,  but it was not to my liking...

Enjoy what you like.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 4:12 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

It was the first time I had seen caymus by the glass.  But the bottle was $175.  We opted to go by the glass and each had three good pours (don't judge 😂) over the course of our meal.  So the bill was around $110.

So Costco has a bottle of Caymus for $75.

Supposing that Celebrity did generous pours and split the bottle into 4,  then that would be about $80 for the bottle when you have the premium drink package. 😆  Why do we get the premium package 😆

• Like 2

13 hours ago, markeb said:

Why? Have you had Lodi wine? For decades it’s been the other percent in Napa and Sonoma wine. Many of them are very good. Some are excellent. Maybe North Carolina wines are good. Never had one. I’ve had plenty from Lodi, Amador County, and Livermore. 

Yes.

On 12/6/2023 at 11:00 PM, markeb said:

Decoy is one of Duckhorns introductory level wines. They’ve always been acceptable, but never great. That largely translates to their Pinot Noir. They make a Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir that I remember being pretty good, but their base white label is just listed as California and is pretty forgettable. 

Duckhorn’s (parent company) Pinot Noir label is Goldeneye (named for the duck, not the James Bond movie or Ian Fleming’s estate). Goldeneye is made with Anderson Valley fruit and is generally excellent. 

Not a huge Reddit fan, but I’d agree here…

Duckhorn Merlot is one of my favorite wines. Haven't priced it recently but probably ~$50/bottle retail but often I see it on a restaurant (or cruise ship) wine list at a reasonable markup. Sideways really did a number on Merlot and Pinot Noir. Whereas there used to be tons of bad merlot, now there are tons of bad Pinot. And good deals on Merlot (one of the key Bordeaux grapes). Decoy is decent (for a Cab in that price range) but for whatever reason the markup on it at most restaurants (whether by the bottle or glass) is pretty egregious. 

8 hours ago, gordiej said:

Duckhorn Merlot is one of my favorite wines. Haven't priced it recently but probably ~$50/bottle retail but often I see it on a restaurant (or cruise ship) wine list at a reasonable markup. Sideways really did a number on Merlot and Pinot Noir. Whereas there used to be tons of bad merlot, now there are tons of bad Pinot. And good deals on Merlot (one of the key Bordeaux grapes). Decoy is decent (for a Cab in that price range) but for whatever reason the markup on it at most restaurants (whether by the bottle or glass) is pretty egregious. 

I enjoyed the Decoy cab they gave me on my recent cruise it was on the wine list for $62 a bottle. Also received a beringee Knights valley which retails higher but didn't enjoy as much.  My waiter knew which wine I was drinking and would pour me a glass every evening. 

10 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I enjoyed the Decoy cab they gave me on my recent cruise it was on the wine list for $62 a bottle. Also received a beringee Knights valley which retails higher but didn't enjoy as much.  My waiter knew which wine I was drinking and would pour me a glass every evening. 

Yet in stores you can get it for as low as $17 a bottle sometimes.  I understand markup but this is crazy. Especially when they want to charge $19 a glass!

33 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Yet in stores you can get it for as low as $17 a bottle sometimes.  I understand markup but this is crazy. Especially when they want to charge $19 a glass!

That's the thing, isn't it? I just thumbed through the wine lists in the app (not thorough; I'm not that into this question) and finally found Decoy (presumably the Cab) by the bottle. It's showing $19/glass on the current Equinox sailing. It's a $19/bottle retail wine. IF they're offering it by the glass, it should be $85/bottle ($19 * 5), which would be truly outrageous. Even crazier, it's actually $70 a bottle (again, the app only says Decoy, so I'm making the assumption that's the Cab) which makes no sense whatsoever! It's not that good of a wine to begin with, and that's a crazy stupid markup. The packages really skew the wine prices! There's no way I'd spend $70 for a bottle of Decoy when Freemark Abbey is $110, or even better, Penner-Ash Pinot Noir is $100. But if you have the premium package, Decoy is "free" and the much better Pinot Noir is $100, less 20% discount for the premium package plus 20% gratuity, so really $96 that you're actually paying. There is a level of insanity here!

Just returned from an amazing week in Napa visiting wineries and tasting real wine. Need to breathe deep, calm down, and avoid wine threads on Cruise Critic...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, markeb said:

That's the thing, isn't it? I just thumbed through the wine lists in the app (not thorough; I'm not that into this question) and finally found Decoy (presumably the Cab) by the bottle. It's showing $19/glass on the current Equinox sailing. It's a $19/bottle retail wine. IF they're offering it by the glass, it should be $85/bottle ($19 * 5), which would be truly outrageous. Even crazier, it's actually $70 a bottle (again, the app only says Decoy, so I'm making the assumption that's the Cab) which makes no sense whatsoever! It's not that good of a wine to begin with, and that's a crazy stupid markup. The packages really skew the wine prices! There's no way I'd spend $70 for a bottle of Decoy when Freemark Abbey is $110, or even better, Penner-Ash Pinot Noir is $100. But if you have the premium package, Decoy is "free" and the much better Pinot Noir is $100, less 20% discount for the premium package plus 20% gratuity, so really $96 that you're actually paying. There is a level of insanity here!

Just returned from an amazing week in Napa visiting wineries and tasting real wine. Need to breathe deep, calm down, and avoid wine threads on Cruise Critic...

Why are Celebrity and Napa being mentioned together in the same place?  My head is about to explode.

Why is a glass of FreeMark Abbey $24 and a glass of Caymus $35.

Why is a glass of French champagne $17 when the bottle is $30?

Alta Vista $17 per glass and $12 per bottle.

The pricing does not make sense.

Edited by NMTraveller

On 12/8/2023 at 2:10 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Is this any good.  The Hotel Director just sent....

IMG_1566.thumb.jpeg.f6c1ff878ea8c3667e7931ed69ec59be.jpeg

Though I haven't had Jean-Luc Colombo wines recently, I used to drink them often.  The Les Abeilles used to be a nice little value Cote du Rhone.  Columbo also makes very high quality Rhones (at least used to).    Colombo was also a rather highly regarded wine consultant some years ago if I'm not mistaken.   I would certainly give it a try but set your expectations appropriately.  It is a $15-20 bottle.  

Seeing it on the menu made me smile.  My wife and I use to drink this when we were young(er).

Edited by Winemaker_1

The prices are what they are.  Might not like them but if you choose to sail and want wine btg this is the price.  Please stop comparing what you get them at local liquor/wine stores as its not comparable. I live in nh so prices for many are very inexpensive and no tax. I do like the penner ash btg for 4 mark up.  Or i think that is what i saw. That would  be one i would get all day , ie that was based on having premium pkg.  i will not worry or focus much on prices intil i get on board in april.  Was fine on my 14 b2b day on he sil end of nov.  Tho the changes happened on the cruise after mine.  

On 12/10/2023 at 6:40 AM, Captain-John said:

Recently upgraded to the premium package during the flash sale - 53% off - should have known it was too good to be true.

Well if you had not upgraded you would be stuck with the wines on the classic package. Which appear to now consist of only freeze-dried........🤪

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Well if you had not upgraded you would be stuck with the wines on the classic package. Which appear to now consist of only freeze-dried........🤪

True! 🍷 Still, not a good move from X.

Sometimes the line raises the package limit in line with indvidual drink price increases but can't see this has happened here (yet)?

59 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

The prices are what they are.  Might not like them but if you choose to sail and want wine btg this is the price.  Please stop comparing what you get them at local liquor/wine stores as its not comparable. I live in nh so prices for many are very inexpensive and no tax. I do like the penner ash btg for 4 mark up.  Or i think that is what i saw. That would  be one i would get all day , ie that was based on having premium pkg.  i will not worry or focus much on prices intil i get on board in april.  Was fine on my 14 b2b day on he sil end of nov.  Tho the changes happened on the cruise after mine.  

I guess the cruise lines can charge whatever the consumer will bear whether by the glass or bottle. The Decoy on board was $62 beringer I was told sells for $80 but I didn't see on any menu maybe luminae had it or a specialty restaurant.  I was happy to have both given to me and was enough for the 10 nights. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

True! 🍷 Still, not a good move from X.

Sometimes the line raises the package limit in line with indvidual drink price increases but can't see this has happened here (yet)?

The Tini sauvignon blanc from Chile was decent and on classic package. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I guess the cruise lines can charge whatever the consumer will bear whether by the glass or bottle. The Decoy on board was $62 beringer I was told sells for $80 but I didn't see on any menu maybe luminae had it or a specialty restaurant.  I was happy to have both given to me and was enough for the 10 nights. 

Have to find a good somieller overall on board.  There are wines not on any menu that they have.  Not all of them know or just might not have knowledge of them.  I ended up talking to Milan on silhouete who is the main wine manager overall and found some not listed overall.  

26 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Have to find a good somieller overall on board.  There are wines not on any menu that they have.  Not all of them know or just might not have knowledge of them.  I ended up talking to Milan on silhouete who is the main wine manager overall and found some not listed overall.  

That name sounds familiar he may have been the beverage manager on my November 20th Silhouette sailing who delivered the Beringer to my cabin. Very tall man.

1 hour ago, bikerunner said:

I ended up talking to Milan on silhouete who is the main wine manager overall and found some not listed overall.  

42 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

That name sounds familiar he may have been the beverage manager on my November 20th Silhouette sailing who delivered the Beringer to my cabin. Very tall man.

Thanks!  I'm on the Silhouette in a few weeks and will look for him.